Six For The Price Of One!

Discussions about your pets!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Five weeks ago my sister got an 18 month old dog from the Manchester dogs home.

She's a lovely little lady and Sam named her Kizzy :-4

Kizzy gave birth to five little puppies yesterday and my sister is distraught.

She would have been 4 weeks into her pregnancy when she was re-homed, would'nt you think that the home would ensure that they dont send out a pregnant animal?

Surely that's just perpetuating the problem. :-5
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, they should have known better. Hugs for your sister, and mama doggie too.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I agree with what has been said, obviously not all dog homes are created equally. How easy was it to get a dog from the home? I know that some places it is very, very difficult to get a dog - you have to go through checks etc to see if you are suitable. Best of luck to your sister and hope mum and her little ones are doing well :)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Blimmey what a shocker! I know this may seem a stupid question but how do you tell if a dog is pregnant? Do you just notice when they start getting bigger?

I am glad that Mummy dog and pups are all well, could the place where she got the dog from help in anyway in rehousing the pups to families?
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Post by 911 »

SuzyB;716630 wrote: Blimmey what a shocker! I know this may seem a stupid question but how do you tell if a dog is pregnant? Do you just notice when they start getting bigger?

I am glad that Mummy dog and pups are all well, could the place where she got the dog from help in anyway in rehousing the pups to families?

How hard would it be to get them to pee on a stick?

My dog pees on every stick in the yard :D

Best of luck with the pooches. Puppies are so much fun . . . at first. . . :wah:
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

911;716635 wrote: How hard would it be to get them to pee on a stick?

My dog pees on every stick in the yard :D

Best of luck with the pooches. Puppies are so much fun . . . at first. . . :wah:

I didn't know that, I thought it was only human that carried that hormone when pregnant, geesh, I learn something new everyday :)

abbey

Post by abbey »

Manchester dogs home re-houses 7000 dogs a year so I dont suppose the checks on potential owners are too stringent, I think it was just a case of hand over £60 and away you go.

It's sad I know, but it just means that the faster they are re-homed they have another place for a dog that needs shelter.

Sam's vet told her 2 week ago that she thought she could be pregnant but it could be a phantom pregnancy, kizzy went for a scan on Saturday and my sister was told they were due any day!

I know it must be difficult at 4 weeks gestation to feel a pregnancy but a simple urine or blood test would solve the problem.

Post by 911 »

SuzyB;716637 wrote: I didn't know that, I thought it was only human that carried that hormone when pregnant, geesh, I learn something new everyday :)

Well, you may be right, Suzy.

I just figured they use our medicines and we are alike in so many ways, I just thought that may be one more way.

Interesting, though. :-3
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

I know nothing about dogs, although I do need to learn, we hve promised the kids that we will get one next year. :)

Post by 911 »

They can be such fun. They do the dumbest things! :D

I'd be lost without mine. He's always so happy when I come home.

Mae West
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

When i was younger we had a little cross terrier. One day it seemed to develop a cough, so i gave it some of my cough medicine, ( i dont think i should have:-3) Anyway though it seemed to do the trick, but then from then on every so often he would cough and cough till you gave it some medicine, then he was ok again for ages:wah: He just liked th medicine and knew how to get it :rolleyes:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Just had a toot and found this..

One interesting fact about the canine reproductive cycle is that the dog goes through roughly the same hormonal changes whether or not she is pregnant. For this reason, there is no progesterone blood or urine test to diagnose pregnancy in dogs. There is, however, a blood test that will detect relaxin, a hormone that is produced in pregnant dogs but is not found in non-pregnant dogs. This test may be performed mid gestation, which occurs at around the same time that your veterinarian can palpate the fetuses.

woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

We have a lovely cat at the moment, but I have the feeling that a pooch may be on the way......:)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself

Post by 911 »

abbey;716654 wrote: Just had a toot and found this..

Thanks for that Abbey! Interesting.

(I didn't know you tooted!?)

Mae West
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That truly is a bummer, Abbey. But it happens. If the rescue doesn't spay all their females, you may get a pregnant dog (rarely but it does happen) and many leave the spay and neuter up to the owner because money is at a premium when you're running rescue. Although the spay fee should have come out of your adoption fee and they should have had that done before she went home. I beg you to not let them go to a shelter or pound that isn't no-kill because you know what will happen. I think personally that the place she got Kizzy from should be willing to accept the pups. It would only be the right thing to do.

I look forward to a day when we can see puppies and kittens and be joyous over them instead of saying "Oh God, not more!" :-1
abbey

Post by abbey »

She's going to ask another rescue centre to help her place them,

she's prepared to keep the puppies until they have new homes.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”