Tennis ball warning

Discussions about your pets!
valerie

Tennis ball warning

Post by valerie »

Posted on the AOL GSD board on the evening of Oct. 23, 2007 by Jericho's mom.

Everyone, I am in much need of your prayers and good wishes tonight. My male german shepherd Jericho was rushed to the hospital today around 5:00pm. He had swallowed one of his tennis balls and it was lodged in his throat. We usually only use the tennis balls at the dog park and we have been beating ourselves us all night about leaving them out there. My parents rushed him to the emergency vet at Hotel Circle, but by the time they got there he had stopped breathing. The vet staff rushed him to the back room, removed the ball, and started CPR. They got a heart beat and got him stabilized. He was without oxygen for approx. 5 min. And they don't know if he will recover and if he does recover they are unsure if he will have any lasting brain damage. At this point his vitals are stable and he is breathing on his own from an oxygen tube. Please pray for him...this is one of the greatest dogs that has ever owned us. So I need everyone's good thought and keep your fingers crossed that he comes out of this unharmed.

Posted on Oct. 24, 2007

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. However it just wasn't enough. God has another angel with him today. Rest in peace my sweet boy. You'll never know how much you touched my life. I know you are waiting for us at the rainbow bridge. I only wish I could have done something to save you.

Von Bruins Wish Upon A Star, CGC OFA G

November 20, 1999 - October 24, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please re-consider if you allow your dog to play with tennis balls.

Sadly, I have heard similar stories before and they break my heart.

Your dog may have safely played with tennis balls many times, but

it only takes once.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Kathy Ellen

Tennis ball warning

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Val:-4,

Ahhhh sweetie, I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing one's pet is so tragic, We mourn for them because they are our children. Life is so difficult at times:yh_brokeh
Lisa

Tennis ball warning

Post by Lisa »

I have heard of that happening before. how tragic.and sad.:-1

My heart goes out to them.

My dog almost had a small rubber ball stuck in her throat when she was a puppy. Thank goodness she was able to cough it up on her own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pheasy

Tennis ball warning

Post by Pheasy »

Valerie, I am not sure if what you posted was about your own dog and you are Jericho's Mom, or its a post from another person on the GSD forum. It is so, so sad - a loved one is lost in this tragic accident.

I own a GSD, and have always owned them, I have heard warnings about letting them play with tennis balls, or for that matter any larger dog. Its good to remind people, because dogs love tennis balls, but they are so dangerous

Hugs and :-4 to Jericho's Mom

Bradley
Kathy Ellen

Tennis ball warning

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Valarie, I'm so sorry...guess I can't read tonight...so tired. Just decided to pop in to the FG for a few minutes and misread your post. So sorry about the lovely pet and also happy it wasn't your pet.

ohhhhhvey...gotta get some sleep right now.

valerie

Tennis ball warning

Post by valerie »

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear that it was someone's else's gsd. My

girl was at the Bridge to greet Jericho, I'm sure.

Bradley is one handsome guy! :-4
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”