Pamplona Run with the...Cows?!

Discussions about your pets!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Women demand female Pamplona bull run - with cows

28 minutes ago

Women in the northern Spanish city of Pamplona, world-famous for its ferocious bull-running festival, are demanding their own version complete with cows instead of bulls.

A student Web site, www.estudiln.net, set the ball rolling with its campaign "Cows want to run" which asks for a separate encierro, as the bull-runs are known, where only women are allowed to take part.

Women have been allowed to take part in the San Fermin bull-running for some years but they still represent a tiny minority of the thousands of runners who attempt to dodge 600-kilo bulls along an 800-metre course through the streets of Pamplona.

The students say it's only logical that women should have their own bull-run.

"Cows, as well as bulls, have four legs and a natural instinct to run," says their manifesto. "An encierro for cows, would put Pamplona at the vanguard of traditional fiestas with equality for men and women."

Organisers of the festival, which runs from July 7-14, have not responded to the suggestion.

And just what the late Ernest Hemingway, who made the bull-run in Pamplona internationally famous, would have thought will never be known.

*photo is of a bull who jumped the stands during the third day of 2007's Pamplona Run.

Attached files
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

I don't know about this one...

I'm all for equality but, cows?

I kinda takes some of the spirit out of it.

It always been The Running of the Bulls.

Can't they just join in the regular run?
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

As usual I respond to quickly.

I didn't get to the part about women being a minority in the regular Running.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Oh my goodness - what a picture! WOW
Very nearly perfect ... :D
spot

Post by spot »

I agree with adding an additional encierro for cows but if Pamplona really wants equality for men and women it would have to allow me into the cow run if I asked.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive run from a herd of cows before.

The cows potential ferocity and savagery is not to be taken lightly.
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Jimbo when you read this, I highly recommend you stay away from the "Running of the cows thread" Just a little advice buddy.:wah:
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I'd like to see equality and fair play for the bulls, so they wouldn't be tortured and cruelly slaughtered for the amusement of a bunch of bloodthirsty a$$holes.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I've been waiting for someone besides me to say that.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”