Cat doesn't drink water

Discussions about your pets!
afranquiz

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by afranquiz »

Just adopted a new male cat, but I never see him drinking water. Is this normal?
RedGlitter

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by RedGlitter »

Doesn't sound like it unless he's just sneaking it when you aren't looking...

Does he eat okay?
afranquiz

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by afranquiz »

Well yes he eats very well I give him moist food in the morning & evenings. Which I know has alot of moisture & I also add a little water and mix it. I leave a little bowl of kibbles all the time, but he doesn't eat it all at once he nibbles on that.
RedGlitter

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by RedGlitter »

Well that sounds about right. Cats do that, eat a little, leave and then come back and eat some more. I wonder if you changed the water, say if you're using tap water, try using bottled water? He might like that better. But if you're really sure he's not drinking when you aren't looking, a call to the vet might not hurt. To see what they can tell you.
spot

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by spot »

Some exotic animals, particularly amphibians like frogs and salamanders, can't or won't drink water from a bowl. These guys need a drip watering system. What you've done is mistaken a passing frog for a male cat. I suggest you borrow a faunal identification guidebook from your local library and check.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
afranquiz

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by afranquiz »

Vet on vacation, but I will ask, I'll try the bottled water.

Thanks for your help!;)
RedGlitter

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by RedGlitter »

Spot has a point. I was just thinking if you adopted from a shelter who uses a Lixit, or a drip bottle, the cat may be used to that.

Let us know how things go!
WonderWendy3

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I was gonna say, I had a cat that would only drink from a dripping faucet, I would let it dribble for her to get some water from....
afranquiz

Cat doesn't drink water

Post by afranquiz »

My other cat use to do that and I've tried it, didn't work. Only once did I see him stick his paw in the toilet and lick it.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”