Neutering

Discussions about your pets!
persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

I know what all the rescue centres say about this and that there are benefits for the dog in the long run, but most of the info is based on stopping unwanted puppies, therefore stopping the destruction of healthy dogs.

Does anyone know or think it is cruel to neuter dogs, can anyone find anything that says it's cruel, I spent hours last night looking this up, and couldn't find anything myself.

I myself feel this is a daft question, but there's a very personal motive behind it, please let me know your views.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
rachelg

Neutering

Post by rachelg »

letha wrote: I know what all the rescue centres say about this and that there are benefits for the dog in the long run, but most of the info is based on stopping unwanted puppies, therefore stopping the destruction of healthy dogs.

Does anyone know or think it is cruel to neuter dogs, can anyone find anything that says it's cruel, I spent hours last night looking this up, and couldn't find anything myself.

I myself feel this is a daft question, but there's a very personal motive behind it, please let me know your views.
I am a breeder of show quality cocker spaniels and if I sell a puppy to a pet home, I always require that the puppy be spayed or neutered. My reason is because it makes the dog a better pet and it ensures my puppy is more likely to stay in the home I've placed him in. A male will be much easier to keep housebroken if he doesn't get those hormones started that make him want to lift his leg and mark territory everywhere. One of the top reasons dogs end up losing their home is housebreaking problems. Even if the owner kept the dog but started keeping him outside, it would be a bad situation for the type cocker I raise. They have a massive long coat which if allowed to get damp or get sticks and leaves in it, will turn into a matted nightmare. There are also health benefits for neutered pets. In females several types of cancer are eliminated, including breast cancer and in males, testicular and prostrate. I have had intact males which still were good in the house, but it is the exception rather than the rule. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but preventing unwanted puppies is a very important thing. It breaks my heart to see the number of my breed in shelters and rescue situations. I always have a dog or two here myself, trying to find it a good pet home, Want one? :yh_bigsmi
persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

I have enough with my Lurcher, he's a handful.

At 15 months he's now house trained, but dominant isn't the word for him, no man is safe and he even begins nipping me when my boyfriend is about. He's going to have to start wearing a muzzle as I can not trust him not to attack other male dogs.

At the same time he's a mummies boy and has seperation anxiety.

He's booked in for Thursday, and hopefully won't be needing a muzzle for much longer. It's the boyfriend who has issues with nuetering, but then he doesn't live with us.

Oh and I know the whole thing with men coming near me isn't going to stop by having him neutered, but i really don't mind that so much.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
rachelg

Neutering

Post by rachelg »

letha wrote: I have enough with my Lurcher, he's a handful.

At 15 months he's now house trained, but dominant isn't the word for him, no man is safe and he even begins nipping me when my boyfriend is about. He's going to have to start wearing a muzzle as I can not trust him not to attack other male dogs.

At the same time he's a mummies boy and has seperation anxiety.

He's booked in for Thursday, and hopefully won't be needing a muzzle for much longer. It's the boyfriend who has issues with nuetering, but then he doesn't live with us.

Oh and I know the whole thing with men coming near me isn't going to stop by having him neutered, but i really don't mind that so much.
Actually he should be less aggressive once those hormones get out of his system. It takes about a month before they leave though. We had a male breed one of our girls right after neutering. He still had the hormones. I see you are in the UK and I don't know if you have this product there, but if your boyfriend has a problem with the neutering, we can get fake testicals called "neuticals" so they still look the same. They are a little expensive, but they keep up appearances :o
persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

He thinks it's cruel to take away the dogs natural right of reproduction and stuff like that.

I think longer life and less risk of cancer is far kinder, and unless he runs off it's not like he'll have a chance to breed. He looks far more uncomfortable when he looses control of his body and starts dry humping.

I might feel differently if he had been pedigree, but he's not and that's the reason he was a rescue dog in the first place, he'd even had his tail badly docked, although it suits him it's annoying that I'm forever explaining it's something the cruel owners who dumped him had done.
Gabs

Neutering

Post by Gabs »

I have three Boston Terriers... two of them are from a rescue club. All my boys have been neutered--the one I have had since a puppy was neutered at 6 mos. He has never been a problem about running off, marking the house, or being aggressive other than if he is at home ...he doesn't want anyone he is not familiar with coming in our home when I am here alone.. and that is good. He isn't just real thrilled when someone comes in when my husband is here, but he tolerates it. The other two, are as I said rescues. very loving and very protective, but were also neutered in adulthood...they 'mark' if you aren't careful. It is better for the first one we adopted, as he has been with us for 2 1/2 years, but the last one I still have problems with... last night for example, we left the gate ajar and someone with a Bitch in heat is letting their dog run loose (very very sore subject as I keep my dogs in a fenced yard or on a leash) and the last two got out... One came home and the other we spent time looking for until a man who lived down the road saw us and asked if we were missing a dog. They had already called Boston Terrier Rescue (tag must always be worn ) and got no answer because of the holiday. So both are safe at home... I highly recommed neutering males and spaying females. The first Boston (the one neutered at 6 mos) showed no signs of even wanting to follow the bitch..just the other two ..... There are so many unwanted dogs dumped on the road just out of my rural town. They are run over by cars, and starve to death.... It breaks my heart. I have been a dog owner most of my adult life and all mine were "fixed" ....
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
rachelg

Neutering

Post by rachelg »

If your boyfriend persists in thinking all dogs should have the right to reproduce, take him to a shelter or go online and check out the rescue pages. In this country, very few dogs get adopted compared to the vast number of them in shelters. Most shelter dogs get euthanized. Let him look at those faces and know they won't make it to a forever home. :(
persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

That's the crazy thing, he's against the RSPCA as well because they destroy healthy animals... This is one of his far fetched notions.

I'm sticking to my guns, just wondered if anyone had anything that might back him up, as I say everything I found last night didn't, even Veggy groups back neutering.
Der Wulf

Neutering

Post by Der Wulf »

Here's a thought, save the dog, neuter the boyfriend! :D
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
rachelg

Neutering

Post by rachelg »

tmbsgrl wrote: If you spay or nueter your pet you are giving them a better life. Their tempermates are much calmer and sweeter, if you have a female you will not have a mess all over you carpet. When my Basset got hit by the cr a year ago. We of course went to the Er for dogs, well there was this guy there that had brought his dog. I don't know what kind of problems she (the dog) was having but she has a severe infection because she was never "fixed" That night that poor man left alone. They couldn't save the dog. The Dog was a police dog. He was an Officer. He fell to the floor crying and in so much pain. My fiancee & i sat there with him trying to calm him down before he got behind the wheel with his eyes all watered up. So i recommend that you spay/neuter your animals. it is worth it in the end.
She had pyometria. It is often fatal and is an infection in the uterus. :(
rachelg

Neutering

Post by rachelg »

Jack Sprat wrote: My wife had me neutered on my 30th birthday (interestingly, the doctor who did the vasectomy was Dr. Stiletto). I have behaved much better since then and there are not lots of little Spratlings running around.
And did you stop lifiting your leg on the furniture? :D
Paula

Neutering

Post by Paula »

I was waiting for some-one to suggest Human Neutering, people need it to? We live in a world of choices, we are lucky? Pets, need neutering too, they are pets not machines? Our poodle gran-dog is fixed, she doesn't have time for puppies, she is too busy having fun!
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

Please, please, PLEASE get your dog neutered!!! This is so important. I was a vet tech for many years, and I can tell you without a doubt, there is nothing cruel about this procedure. I can tell you that it is so simple, I assisted in the surgeries to have this done with my dogs. It takes, literally, about 15 minutes from putting the dog under till he is all stitched up. There is almost no better thing you can do for your pet than to have them "fixed." Responsible, educated breeders (I believe you heard from one here) who are striving for the good of the breed and not out there just arbitrarily breeding masses of dogs are the only ones who should be owning intact dogs. Testicular cancer in males and mammary cancer in females is an ugly thing to see. I've seen it. You wouldn't want to put your dog through that would you? And as far as the aggression goes, that could be helped by the neutering, but it could also be a dominance issue. You say your pet is spoiled, a "momma's boy"? Be careful you aren't encouraging that behavior, as it is very difficult to correct later, and could get worse. You can go to akc.org and look up aggression, or dominance behavior.

The dog that tmbsgrl mentioned in the clinic, it sounds like that dog had a condition called pyometra. It's an infection in the uterus and is usually fatal if not caught in time, and easily prevented by spaying.

I can't stress enough how important this is. Did you know that over one million dogs are put to sleep every year in the U.S.? The over-population is horrendous. And if your boyfriend is against the SPCA because they put animals to sleep, tell him you don't want to contribute to the population by having a breeding dog. If more people would spay and neuter, there wouldn't be the numbers of animals there are, which in turn would spare the SPCA from putting them down. They simply don't have the resources to keep all the animals indefinitely. And trust me, they would if they could. I volunteer for a shelter and it breaks all of our hearts when a dog just can't be placed. The alternative is that they roam the streets, starving, freezing, or getting hit by a vehicle. I'm sure if given the choice, the dogs would prefer the quiet painless way to go than starving to death in some alley.

I really applaud the suggestion of neutering the boyfriend...BRAVO!!!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

When I said he's a mummies boy, I meant he won't let men near me and it is only me he obeys 100%, well 99% of the time.

The most he gets spoilt is by the time and affection I give him.

The dominance problem comes from the fact my flat mate (who is male) is totally unable to show any form of dominance over the dog... It's very much different when my boyfriend comes round although the first half hour is spent by the two of them fighting for dominance, and me telling the boyfriend off for letting the dog do something that I don't allow.

It becomes commical and ends with me bangging my head against a wall... The dog is having it done by the way.
BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

I hope I didn't offend you by what I said. It's just something I believe in very strongly, and have a bit of experience with. But I don't want to make anyone mad, either.

If I came off that way, apologize, I know I tend to preach a little! Good luck with your dog!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

Not at all, don't worry, think my answer may not have said what I wanted as I was then and still am half asleep. Simply it meant he's my dog, he even chose me rather than me chosing him at the kennels, that's the way it should be though with animals, you don't chose them they chose you.

He's all booked in for Thursday, just one problem at the moment he's a little off his food, but behaving normal in every other way so I'm not prosponing yet and seeing as he ate it all last night it's looking good.
BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't offend. I do tend to become "overzealous" on some subjects! I hope all goes well on Thursday. You won't regret it!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Neutering

Post by valerie »

rachelg wrote: If your boyfriend persists in thinking all dogs should have the right to reproduce, take him to a shelter or go online and check out the rescue pages. In this country, very few dogs get adopted compared to the vast number of them in shelters. Most shelter dogs get euthanized. Let him look at those faces and know they won't make it to a forever home. :(

I came to this thread a little late, but I agree with rachelg...

Maybe BF could read some of these posts? Would that get through?

So many many people saying the same things about something...

I think it is far more "cruel" to NOT do it. Your dog is facing much more

potential pain and suffering and "cruelty" of cancer treatments.

As far as your other problems, though the neutering might help some, you

also might try something called "NILIF" which stands for "Nothing In Life

Is Free" and means your dog has to do something to get ANYTHING. Sit

before you give him a meal, etc. and it really helps establish you as the

"alpha". Which it sounds like he needs to know. You can do a google

search to find a website... it is pretty easy and CHEAP!!

Good luck!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

Hey valerie: excellent advice on the "NILIF" thing. You're absolutely right. I had behaviorist training while I was in animal medicine, and not establishing yourself as "alpha" is one of the biggest mistakes pet owners do. *applauding*
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

The dog knows I'm alpha already, I'm in the process of training the flat mate :wah:

A friend said she had the same problem with her GSD while she was living with her husband, the dog was a handful due to the husband letting him get way with murder, as soon as they split the dog was as good as gold. Same thing happens here, flat mate goes away for a couple of weeks or even just goes to work, and I have the most obedient dog around.

I've had serious words with the flat mate since he has returned and things are getting better now.

BabyRider wrote: I had behaviorist trainingWhere you really that misbehaved ??? :-6

Sorry twisted 5am sense of humour :o
BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

I was SOOOO misbehaved! :wah:

Sometimes training the person is harder than training the dog!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

capt_buzzard

Neutering

Post by capt_buzzard »

:-2 Perhaps all humans should be neutered. Our earth is over populated as it is. :-2
BabyRider

Neutering

Post by BabyRider »

Hey Captain...You don't see an ultimate problem with neutering EVERONE? What are you trying to do...kill off mankind? :wah:
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

capt_buzzard

Neutering

Post by capt_buzzard »

BabyRider wrote: Hey Captain...You don't see an ultimate problem with neutering EVERONE? What are you trying to do...kill off mankind? :wah:All these unwanted babies. Abortion clinics on demand. Neutering is the best policy.
valerie

Neutering

Post by valerie »

You know, I got to wondering... would your BF feel the same way if this was

a female dog getting spayed? Or is this a "guy" kinda thing?

Well, I think you said his appt. is for tomorrow, so give 'im a hug for me.

It's going to all work out great, I predict!!

OOPS!! Give the PUPPERS a hug for me!! :o
Tamsen's Dogster Page

abbey

Neutering

Post by abbey »

Hey Letha, hows your Lurcher did you finally decide to have him neutered??

If so, i hope he's fine X
persephone

Neutering

Post by persephone »

He's not talking to me at all... He went in today and came out tonight, very upset he is :-1
abbey

Neutering

Post by abbey »

Awww Bless.. he'll be fine once he's slept off the after effects of the anaesthetic. couple o days & he'll have forgotten he'd ever had em, big hugs all round x
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Neutering

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Neutering a dog will calm it down we had our dog done when he was a year old and he calmed down over nigth its hard trying to control a dog who weighs about 9 1/2 10 stone it just helps by taking the aggression away our dog is so stupip now the cats chew away on his bone while he duz,he hates it but hey they run rings around him sj
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
valerie

Neutering

Post by valerie »

pixiechic2000 wrote: I know someone who never neutered their male cocker spaniel. The dog is disgusting to be around as he continuously humps anyone and anything that feels good to him. The owner who is a male friend told me he refused to put his dog through the humiliation of losing his testicles.. This is hisdog so this is his decision.

You obviously will not use him for breeding. Rather than to put him through frustration from not being able to breed, I personally would have him neutered.

As already stated, it will be better for him healthwise in the long run.

The neutering might help but it isn't a total cure-all for the humping dog.

That is also a sign of dominance, the dog hasn't been taught that all humans

are alpha.

Puppies with presumably no hormones yet often do the humping behavior.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”