capt_buzzard

What kind of Pets does everyone have?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Welcome Andrew to Forum Garden

Another dog lover and from Yorshire England.:-6
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Andrew Harrison wrote: Hullo there Bramble. I know you dont know me from Adam, but believe me when I say that you will eventually get over the loss of your dog, but you will always remember the good things about your time together.

I have a black Labrador, and although he is occasionaly a bad 'un (today he managed to single handedly filthy the house in the space of about 5 seconds after a walk I didnt think was that muddy) I wouldnt be without him. Apart from being capable of prodigious acts of feeding (leading to his current diet, about which he is less than happy) he has few vices. We would not be without him.
Welcome to the garden, Andrew. Lots of good stuff, good people and we're waitin to hear and see yur posts. Happy posting.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Andrew Harrison wrote: Dear Brambling, I wouldnt sat our dog was overweight, but the vet reckons he is, hence the diet.

Yes we have field walks, also we have the moors, and we also take Frank to the coast at Whitby and Robin Hood Bay (its a bit of a journey, but Labs are good travellers generally.)
Hiya Andrew & a very warm welcome to the Garden, i've just got home from a week break in Robin Hoods Bay i took my dog Raspberry & my mums dog Dave & Dave being a bit of a pudding hated it especially when we went to Goathland & took him over the snowy moors, he was'nt a happy bunny :wah:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have-ahem-4 parrokets, 8 cocketeils, and a turtle.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

along-for-the-ride wrote: I have-ahem-4 parrokets, 8 cocketeils, and a turtle.
Turtle dove or turtle?
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

A Karenina wrote: I have one cat named Isabella. She's convinced she owns the house and I am merely a guest...who happens to provide her with everything. :D

I have a dog named Molly who also thinks she runs the household and also seems to be too human!! :-2
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

smithy87 wrote: I have a dog named Molly who also thinks she runs the household and also seems to be too human!! :-2
Thinks she runs the house? Boy, she hasn't got you to the point of being well trained yet. Good thing for you that she doesn't have thumbs. If she started opening her own canned food what would you have left to do? Trailing her around picking up what comes out the other end. If they had thumbs you'd know just how human they are. Intellect isn't only in the human nature. They are sentient in their own right.
koan

Post by koan »

I have the annoying kind of pets.

A rat that thinks it's a dog. A cat that drools. A hamster that chucks it's poop out of it's cage.

For some reason I love them all. If I stopped feeding them would they stop pooping so much? :thinking:
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I have the annoying kind of pets.

A rat that thinks it's a dog. A cat that drools. A hamster that chucks it's poop out of it's cage.

For some reason I love them all. If I stopped feeding them would they stop pooping so much? :thinking:
I can't stop laughing. What a crew! Do you think that they know you are noticing them? If you stop feeding them they will stop pooping, however, they will become one big pile of poop that will really stink, big time.

Create a picket line strike for the sh*t chucking hamster. You got rights too! If he chucks the poop at you then you chuck it right back. Show the monster that he is not the boss of you.
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

kensloft wrote: Thinks she runs the house? Boy, she hasn't got you to the point of being well trained yet. Good thing for you that she doesn't have thumbs. If she started opening her own canned food what would you have left to do? Trailing her around picking up what comes out the other end. If they had thumbs you'd know just how human they are. Intellect isn't only in the human nature. They are sentient in their own right.

Canned food? She'd go on strike if I tried to give her dog meat. If she had thumbs she'd be able to cook her own steak.
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

I dont think you can call them pets, but its that time of year again, the Jackdaws are back on our roof and chimney pot. These beasties seem to think that its us who are the squatters, when I go out to see what they are up to they get very upset and start to dive bomb us. Anybody got a tin helmet ?! :-3
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Wild Weasil wrote: I dont think you can call them pets, but its that time of year again, the Jackdaws are back on our roof and chimney pot. These beasties seem to think that its us who are the squatters, when I go out to see what they are up to they get very upset and start to dive bomb us. Anybody got a tin helmet ?! :-3
Welcome to the garden wild weasil. Just for your information the canned food is when he runs out of the bones that he is fed by the butchers in the community. He has it down to a science as to which one we should visit when. Real weisenheimer.

I haven't seen him turn his nose up to chunky, meaty dog food. Looks good enough to throw into the frying pan and chow down. He is ever so happy when I don't and put it in his bowl.
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

Freya wrote: I have 2 cats.....one named Cairo who is a genius and will fetch a ball for hours on end. The other cat is named Darwin...and well, what can I say,..........the vet called him a special needs cat. Happy and healthy, just not all there! I then have a 10 year old rose hair Tarantula, as well as a new "spiderling" tarantula that I just bought. She's about the size of a thumb tack....very cute!

I'm new here by the way and am enjoying your forum very much.

Hi Freya

I never thought I'd ever see the words 'cute' and 'tarantula' in the same sentence. I'm afraid I'm one of them hysterical women when I see an eight legged freak taking over my house, laughing at me. And the thought of actually paying for one and petting it fills me with horror!

You brave person, I salute you! :wah:
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

I have a black labrador who is fussy when it comes to meal times, although like most labs he will eat all sorts of rubbish on walks (or at least try to!)

Currently he is on dry food mixed with pilchards leading to SERIOUS dog breath. Any tips anybody? :-2
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Wild Weasil wrote: I have a black labrador who is fussy when it comes to meal times, although like most labs he will eat all sorts of rubbish on walks (or at least try to!)

Currently he is on dry food mixed with pilchards leading to SERIOUS dog breath. Any tips anybody? :-2
Better dietary balanced dried dog food.(euphemism for more expensive)
David813

Post by David813 »

I'm brand spankin new here and just wanted to say I have a 16 year old cat (that I adore) and two lovebirds that drive me nuts! I ended up with them after a friend died unexpectedly two years ago. I've never owned birds before and I now know why! Gorgeous as they are, they are loud and very messy. Does anyone know any methods I could put in place to make them less of a nuisance? I've never handled them before as they act terrified each time I enter the room. They are a 6 year old brother and sister. Getting a new home for them is an option I am considering. Any suggestions??
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Wild Weasil wrote: I have a black labrador who is fussy when it comes to meal times, although like most labs he will eat all sorts of rubbish on walks (or at least try to!)

Currently he is on dry food mixed with pilchards leading to SERIOUS dog breath. Any tips anybody? :-2WW, Pilchards? Not sure what that is, but I gotta tell ya...You have to be the FIRST person I have ever heard who has a finicky Labrador! Notorious for eating anything and everything!! As far as the breath, find him some charcoal biscuits. I'm not sure what is available to you in your neck of the woods, but ask your vet for a good brand for charcoal cookies. If his breath is very foul, it could be a sign of other problems, including (but not only) dental issues. How old is your dog?

A dry kibble is best, it keeps the teeth cleaner from the crunching action,and makes the stool easier to clean up. Most canned and moist dog foods are largely water, so they are not giving the nutrients found in better dry food, not to mention the "wet" stuff is also bad for the teeth. If your dog is really finicky, put down the dry kibble for him, leave it for 15 minutes, and take it up again, and don't give him anything else till the next time to feed him. No cookies, nothing. I know...it sounds harsh, but trust me. Next feeding time, put down the kibble, 15 minutes only, and take it up. When he gets hungry, he will eat. Generally speaking, I've found that most finicky dogs are not born that way, but taught that way by their owners. That's not a jab, either. You want to give them lots of yummy stuff, and cookies also. But you're not doing them any favors. Your dog will not starve itself, it will learn to eat when there is food. Good luck!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

abbey

Post by abbey »

Geezer Gal wrote: I used to raise llamas and goats
I used to have a herd of goats when i had a smallholding in Cheshire, lovely animals x
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

Dear BabyRider,

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not, Frank (my Lab) is choosy when it comes to feeding time, although as you say, when it comes to snacking he will eat all sorts if allowed. Pilchards are small fish (a bit like sardines) hence the smelly breath.

Frank gets regular checks at the vets and his teeth are ok, but weve been advised to get him proper bones to chew on. Charcoal biscuits sound a good idea though.

This weekend he is going on a monster walk at the sea side, so I dare say he will be able to find something nice and smelly to roll in (a nice pile of mouldy sea weed or a dead sea gull would probably appeal to him. Nice.)

Keep well,

W W.

P.s.- If you dont know where you're going you'll probably end up somewhere else.
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

Dear Kensloft,

Would you believe that Frank (the Lab) doesnt particularly like the more expensive sort of dog food, the stuff he prefers is the cheap and cheerful, as long as its got the pilchards (!)

I think I'm going to try the charcoal biscuits, see if they will work for the other end as well.

Hope you are well, WW.
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

[IMG]

If this works, here is a picture of my hound at the beach-what a handsome chap!

Attached files
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Wild Weasil wrote: [IMG]

If this works, here is a picture of my hound at the beach-what a handsome chap!
He is a good-looking dog! Is he really furry or a bit heavy? (Can't help noticing things like that, it's from my years in animal medicine. No offense intended! :yh_bigsmi)
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

BabyRider wrote: He is a good-looking dog! Is he really furry or a bit heavy? (Can't help noticing things like that, it's from my years in animal medicine. No offense intended! :yh_bigsmi)

He has a thick coat on him (on his papers it says 'breed:Labrador' but I think a wild boar must have snuck up on one of his relatives a few generations back!)

The funny thing is, for all the thickness of his coat he dries off quite quickly.
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

Brambling wrote: Hello, that is a beautiful dog, wonder if he has some Retriever in his line, or even Newfoundland, I understand their coats have the same properties,

cheers Liz

Thanks, we love him.

Perhaps somebody who is more expert than I can explain something.

On his Kennel Club papers under the heading 'breed' what it says in full is 'Labrador Retriever.' I thought a Lab was a Lab, where does the retriever bit come into it?

After he had finished his paddle you should have seen the mess he made of the car. :D
RedSoxFan

Post by RedSoxFan »

Lets see, I have:

2 Rottweiler's, 2 St. Bernard's, 1 Ball Python, and a 1,000 Gallon aquarium featuring exotic sea life from the Gulf of Carpentaria
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
David813

Post by David813 »

A 1000 gallon aquarium? Hmmm. Well I have a Llama, 2 Siberian tigers a DoDo bird and 14 giraffes.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
RedSoxFan

Post by RedSoxFan »

David813 wrote: A 1000 gallon aquarium? Hmmm. Well I have a Llama, 2 Siberian tigers a DoDo bird and 14 giraffes.

I think the David must be jealous. Or maybe you do have these animals. But I highly doubt it coming from Kansas City. Youre most likely to have the Tornadoes and Lightning in your avatar.
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Wild Weasil wrote: On his Kennel Club papers under the heading 'breed' what it says in full is 'Labrador Retriever.' I thought a Lab was a Lab, where does the retriever bit come into it?
The full name is Labrador Retriever, also called labrador, and shortened to lab. Just like many breeds are Fox "terrier", Bull "terrier", or Irish "setter" or English "setter", it just signifies them as part of the retriever group.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

Dear BabyRider,

Thanks for the info.

Keep well :-6
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

kensloft wrote: Turtle dove or turtle?

A regular slow moving turtle. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

JLRutter wrote: Two female cats, Mugzi & LiLu have allowed me to live in their home so long as I continue to feed them, pet them and change the box twice a week. :wah:

Joy L Rutter

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
Are you sure that they don't have you trained as a doorperson too? Welcome to the garden JL. Lots of things blooming and flourishing. Have fun posting.
KnightDeBrian

Post by KnightDeBrian »

undefinedgot 1 cat named willy, 2 ferrets name Jimmy and Kelly, and 1 dog named Chico
When I raise my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgement I will take vengence upon mine enemies. Oh, Lord raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy Saints.
BonnieScotsLass

Post by BonnieScotsLass »

I have a little cat called Bliss who at 9 years of age has survuved serious neglect (By previous owner) and a stroke and now suffers from a little arthritis in her legs but is doing great for what she's been through and a wee hamster called poppy that is just lovely
Take Care :p BonnieScotsLass :p

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”