Gotta Love A Ferret :)

Discussions about your pets!
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Loopie wrote: I am a ferret momma. I have only one now because my hubby is allergic to them. He would rather we have none but I would be "unwhole" if I didn't have a ferret running around. I used to have 5 when I met my hubby. I adopted them out to one of my friends and then a few years later my neighbor gave me her ferret that her children were not taking care of. His name is Sammy and I love him :)

Hi Loopie,

I"ve always been curious: How do ferrets act? Like a cat or dog or ? How did you get introduced to them as a pet?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I've owned ferrets before and they are wonderful pets. I prefer to own just one at a time, but had 4 at one time. They are extremely energetic.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

They're good for rabbiting.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Thanks for the overview! I think that if my wife had an opportunity, she would want a ferret too!

Loopie wrote: Hey Tombstone :-6

I wouldn't compare them to either a dog or a cat really. They are a class unto themselves, lol.

Ferrets sleep a lot, probably about 16-19 hours a day or so. They aren't nocturnal. When they are awake they are wonderful fun! They are full of energy, love to play, jump all around, and follow you around the house. They are litterbox trainable although they will always have "accidents" from time to time. They are pack animals and are happiest when they are in pairs but will adopt you as their pack mate if there is no other ferret around. They love to burrow and hide under things (the bed, the couch, etc...). They are very funny to watch too. They jump spuratically and "chitter" when they are excited, happy, or playing.

They aren't for everyone for a couple reasons... They are high energy when they are awake, they can be destructive to the carpets (digging at doorways) if they are not disciplined and watched carefully, and they have a musky odor (I don't really mind they smell).

In short.. They are a lot of fun as long as you have the time to properly train them and keep an eye on them when they are out of their cage. (I don't keep Sammy caged, he has free run of the house)...
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
persephone

Post by persephone »

Are you sure your husband is allergic and it's not just the fact that he doesn't want to risk the whole trouser and ferret thing :wah:
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”