Car shopping :-)

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

For the last 3 years I've driven a Peugeot 307 which I really love but because I'm a Motability customer, the contract finishes just before Christmas. It's time to start shopping around.

I have 2 cars in mind ... Volkswagen Golf or Mazda 3.

What do you guys think?
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Lon

Post by Lon »

VW Golf
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Ooopps! Sorry ... I think I posted this in the wrong place ... sorry :thinking::o
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Lon;1243504 wrote: VW Golf
Thanks Lon :-6 That's what I'm hoping for :)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

pinkchick;1243506 wrote: Thanks Lon :-6 That's what I'm hoping for :)

Is that the #1 car in Ireland? Saw them everywhere:wah:
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I would check the safety rating of both and then also look on forums relating to both.

We had trouble with one of our cars then discovered that it was a common problem with a car at that age and mileage - would have got rid of it sooner if we'd known.

Car you test drive? I know that the conversion you need might make it difficult, perhaps someone else could test drive an unconverted version for you?

New cars are nice - they smell good!! :D:driving:
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

Get a VW, they are a small car with a lot of kick. Perfect car for me I feel:-6
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Imladris;1243516 wrote: I would check the safety rating of both and then also look on forums relating to both.

We had trouble with one of our cars then discovered that it was a common problem with a car at that age and mileage - would have got rid of it sooner if we'd known.

Car you test drive? I know that the conversion you need might make it difficult, perhaps someone else could test drive an unconverted version for you?

New cars are nice - they smell good!! :D:driving:

I can't do a test drive because I need a "left foot" excelerator but my friend usually helps me out with that.

I've just made a call to go and see the Golf on Monday ... I've just been told the deposit and my heart sank.

I think it's out of my reach so it may be back to the drawin board completely :thinking: I don't know,
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1243502 wrote: For the last 3 years I've driven a Peugeot 307 which I really love but because I'm a Motability customer, the contract finishes just before Christmas. It's time to start shopping around.

I have 2 cars in mind ... Volkswagen Golf or Mazda 3.

What do you guys think?

I would say the Mazda 3, affordable, safety approved, 30miles per gallon, good trunk space and extremely well made & peppy!

test drove one awhile ago....awesome.
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm not a VW fan I would go with the Mazda 3 less problems.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Thanks guys ... I'm unsure what to do now but I'll keep you posted :)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I also would go with the Mazda over the Golf. Japaneze cars are so well built, but both can be fuel guzzlers:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

just some info:

Vehicle Highlights

The 2009 Mazda 3 sees few changes, pending a redesign due in calendar-year 2009 as a 2010 model. These compact cars come in 4-door sedan and 4-door hatchback body styles, all with front-wheel drive. The 3 continues to be available in Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring trims. The high-performance MazdaSpeed hatchback, which is available in Sport and Grand Touring trims, continues as well. All have a 4-cylinder engine. Mazda 3s with the "i" prefix have a 148-hp 2.0-liter, and "s" versions have a 156-hp 2.3. The MazdaSpeed has a 263-hp turbocharged 2.3 and comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission. Other models have a manual or automatic transmission. Available safety features include ABS, traction control, antiskid system, curtain side airbags, and front side airbags. A navigation system is an option on s and MazdaSpeed Grand Tourings. MazdaSpeeds include a limited-slip differential, sport suspension, larger brakes, 18-inch wheels, and specific styling touches.

COMPETITION

Consumer Guide Automotive places each vehicle into one of 18 classes based on size, price, and market position. Compact Cars comprise popularly priced sedans, hatchbacks, and wagons with wheelbases 99.4 inches or longer.

Our Best Buys include the Honda Civic, Nissan Versa, and Scion xB. Our Recommended picks are the Chevrolet HHR, Hyundai Elantra, and Mazda 3.

New or significantly redesigned models include the Ford Focus (coupe), Hyundai Elantra Touring, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix, and Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen. The Volkswagen Jetta also adds a diesel engine.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Odie;1243587 wrote: just some info:

Vehicle Highlights

The 2009 Mazda 3 sees few changes, pending a redesign due in calendar-year 2009 as a 2010 model. These compact cars come in 4-door sedan and 4-door hatchback body styles, all with front-wheel drive. The 3 continues to be available in Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring trims. The high-performance MazdaSpeed hatchback, which is available in Sport and Grand Touring trims, continues as well. All have a 4-cylinder engine. Mazda 3s with the "i" prefix have a 148-hp 2.0-liter, and "s" versions have a 156-hp 2.3. The MazdaSpeed has a 263-hp turbocharged 2.3 and comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission. Other models have a manual or automatic transmission. Available safety features include ABS, traction control, antiskid system, curtain side airbags, and front side airbags. A navigation system is an option on s and MazdaSpeed Grand Tourings. MazdaSpeeds include a limited-slip differential, sport suspension, larger brakes, 18-inch wheels, and specific styling touches.

COMPETITION

Consumer Guide Automotive places each vehicle into one of 18 classes based on size, price, and market position. Compact Cars comprise popularly priced sedans, hatchbacks, and wagons with wheelbases 99.4 inches or longer.

Our Best Buys include the Honda Civic, Nissan Versa, and Scion xB. Our Recommended picks are the Chevrolet HHR, Hyundai Elantra, and Mazda 3.

New or significantly redesigned models include the Ford Focus (coupe), Hyundai Elantra Touring, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix, and Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen. The Volkswagen Jetta also adds a diesel engine.
Thank you darlin :)
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

ford focus tdci
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

el guapo;1243590 wrote: ford focus tdci

Yeah?
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

pinkchick;1243592 wrote: Yeah?

cheapish good track record
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

el guapo;1243595 wrote: cheapish good track record

Ok ... I think Monday is gonna be spent looking at cars :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1243589 wrote: Thank you darlin :)

anything babe, if you need any other info, let me know!

but what my mistake was in telling you, I thought it was good on gas, and its not, so its going to cost you quite a lot, so also check out theVW's gas mileage if it does concern you.

or I can check it out for you.

been a car chick for years.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Odie;1243694 wrote: anything babe, if you need any other info, let me know!

but what my mistake was in telling you, I thought it was good on gas, and its not, so its going to cost you quite a lot, so also check out theVW's gas mileage if it does concern you.

or I can check it out for you.

been a car chick for years.

I've been doing some more research tonight ... It looks like the VW Golf is a no go. The deposit is way too much for me now because I'm a poor student :wah:
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I love VW and plan a buying a VW Bug Convertible - RED of course..

It's a Mazda a rotary engine?? or had that been changed??

VW has been around for yrs - I've had a few and want another one..

Patsy
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1243701 wrote: I've been doing some more research tonight ... It looks like the VW Golf is a no go. The deposit is way too much for me now because I'm a poor student :wah:

then just watch the gas on the Mazda, as said, its a guzzler and it will add up quite quick.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I love my Seat Ibiza, good to drive, quite good on fuel, 5 star safety rating, and lovely colour! (how girlie!!)

Odie

Post by Odie »

Imladris;1243857 wrote: I love my Seat Ibiza, good to drive, quite good on fuel, 5 star safety rating, and lovely colour! (how girlie!!)

I've never seen that car, do you have a pic?
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Ok .... The Golf and the Mazda3 are completely out the window now, purely because of HUGE deposits.

Now it's a case of settle for a car that I'm not that taken with or stump up a substantial deposit for what I want.

This used to be easy :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1243888 wrote: Ok .... The Golf and the Mazda3 are completely out the window now, purely because of HUGE deposits.

Now it's a case of settle for a car that I'm not that taken with or stump up a substantial deposit for what I want.

This used to be easy :wah:

don't settle for a car you will not like....shop around.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Odie;1243926 wrote: don't settle for a car you will not like....shop around.
No I won't settle ;)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Have you considered the new Fiesta. Its a lovely looking little car and its much cheaper than the Golf
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Snowfire;1243945 wrote: Have you considered the new Fiesta. Its a lovely looking little car and its much cheaper than the Golf

Yes ... I'm going to look at it on Monday along with the Focus and the Astra.

Actually I was checking out a few other cars today and the deposit for a Golf seems pretty low compared to most :thinking::-2
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Top Gear raved about the new Fiat 500. It went on the "Cool Wall". I think its a great looking car.

Fiat.co.uk | Fiat Showroom : Latest Offers, Book a Test Drive, Fiat Car Range and more
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

el guapo;1243590 wrote: ford focus tdci

pinkchick;1243592 wrote: Yeah?

yeah the ford focus is very popular over here in the states...cheap & great on gas...do they have it for diesel over in Ireland...drove around for 2 wks & filled up twice...cheap too
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I don't know if your looking at a new VW Golf or used. I can tell you if it is used there were several years that they have lots of issues so get that "CARFAX" report or the equivalent in your area and see what has been done to the car and how many owners have had it.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

CARLA;1243951 wrote: I don't know if your looking at a new VW Golf or used. I can tell you if it is used there were several years that they have lots of issues so get that "CARFAX" report or the equivalent in your area and see what has been done to the car and how many owners have had it.
No it's a new one :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

They have greatly improved over the years so new is good.

[QUOTE]No it's a new one.:) [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1243951 wrote: I don't know if your looking at a new VW Golf or used. I can tell you if it is used there were several years that they have lots of issues so get that "CARFAX" report or the equivalent in your area and see what has been done to the car and how many owners have had it.

I had done a car through CARFAX just a couple of years ago.......they missed an accident that vehicle had.

...they refunded my money, as it states in the beginning that they are 100% reliable.:rolleyes:

very very upsetting.
Odie

Post by Odie »

just did a double check:

The Mazda 3 is actually pretty good on gas:

32 gallons on highway driving

24 gallons on city driving

combined is: 27 gallons

so I think this is really good.

- it comes in standard and automatic.

It has below roughly what it would cost you in gas per year below: $2,276.00 --roughly 43.00 per week.

but the statistics are not always necessarily true, it also depends on how you drive a car, if your reeving it, taking off like a bat out of hell from a set of lights, pushing the gas pedal to hard just to get through a set of lights.......etc.

2009 MAZDA MAZDA3 - MPG and Detailed Vehicle Information

City MPG: 24 Highway MPG: 32 Combined MPG: 27 Today's cost to drive 15,000 miles: $1432

Year: 2009

Make: MAZDA

Model: MAZDA3

Vehicle Class: COMPACT CARS

Engine Size: 2 liters

Number of Cylinders: 4

Transmission: Manual(M5)

Drive System: F

Valves per Cylinder: 4

Fuel Type: REGULAR

Four Door Interior Volume: 94 ft3

Four Door Luggage Volume: 11 ft3

Hatch Back Interior Volume: 95 ft3

Hatch Back Luggage Volume: 17 ft3

Release Date: 16-Jun-08

5C Code: DERIVED

EPA Official City MPG: 24

City MPG (before adjustments): 31.0221

EPA Official Highway MPG: 32

Highway MPG (before adjustments): 44.655

EPA Official Combined MPG: 27

Combined MPG (before adjustments): 35.9628

Annual Fuel Cost in US Dollars: $ 2276 *

* Cost is based on driving 15,000 miles per year and uses the 2009 gas price of $4.10 per gallon and the EPA Official Combined MPG of 27 mpg.
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

I would lean towards the VW myself. Verrrrry well manufactured cars and they seem to last forever! As for Mazda's... I've only heard the horror stories of multiple mechanic visits and their durability. Around here you really don't see many of em floatin around anymore.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

You guys are so good for giving me so much info.

Thank you :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

VW GOLF 2010

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI Priced From $21,990, hits 40 mpg

By Nelson Ireson | 25 August 2009 @ 11:57 am EDT

Euro-spec Volkswagen Golf TDI - 5/09

Euro-spec Volkswagen Golf TDI - 5/09

Back in May our own Bengt Halvorson brought us the first impressions of a European-spec 2010 Golf TDI through American eyes, and now Volkswagen has released pricing information and fuel efficiency figures, helping to complete the picture of what will be on offer this year. Starting at $21,990, the TDI isn't as cheap as some of its Golf stablemates, but it does promise to rival the entry-level range of hybrids.

The $21,990 price is for the two-door hatch. The four-door model starts at a $600 premium of $22,590. Both cars come standard with a range of equipment above the typical Golf's feature list, including leather-wrapped steering wheel, premium touch-screen sound system, a lower 'sport' suspension setup, 17-inch alloy wheels and more safety-related acronyms than you can shake a stick at.

But the big news may be the 29 mpg city and 40 mpg highway rating of the new TDIs - the same for both two-door and four-door models. According to the government's official site, that's within 3 mpg of the 2010 Honda Insight on the highway, though without the aid of electronic assist, it falls 11 mpg short in city rating.

And according to that same government site, the Golf TDI is actually capable of a 30/42 mpg rating when equpped with the optional DSG gearbox, narrowing the gap a bit further. The manual rates 30 mpg city and 41 mpg highway according to the EPA's site.

The comparison to a hybrid-powered car may not be entirely fair, but it is inevitable, as Americans are increasingly seeing diesel as a way to boost fuel economy. One thing that's worth mentioning is that diesel engines boost fuel economy while also maintianing peppy driving behavior - something that can't be said for most hybrids.

However, like as Green Car Report's John Voelcker noted with the Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which features the same basic powertrain, the EPA and Volkswagen estimates of fuel economy may be way off what you'll see in the real world: our test driver saw an average of just over 42 mpg in 20 miles of city driving - enough to rival the Honda hybrid and even knock on the door of the new 2010 Toyota Prius.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Odie;1243880 wrote: I've never seen that car, do you have a pic?
Go to www.seat.co.uk and look at Ibiza's

Snowfire;1243949 wrote: Top Gear raved about the new Fiat 500. It went on the "Cool Wall". I think its a great looking car.

Fiat.co.uk | Fiat Showroom : Latest Offers, Book a Test Drive, Fiat Car Range and more

Seen loads of them around - nice looking cars

Barman

Post by Barman »

We had a Seat Ibiza in Spain, great cars, check em out little pinkchick.

The new Fiat 500 is supposed to be a great little car.

The all new Ford Ka is a good looking little motor also.

If you want 5 doors the Fiat and Ka would not suit.

I would definitely look at the cheaper foreign models, a lot of car for the money.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Imladris;1244214 wrote: Go to www.seat.co.uk and look at Ibiza's

Seen loads of them around - nice looking cars

wow, I just adore the Leon!:guitarist

We don't have that manufacturer in Canada, darn!:-5

thanks Immy, that was really a cool looking vehicle!
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Well ... the decision has been made!

My next car is a Ford Fiesta Zetec :-6:D

I get to pick it up on December 17th :D:driving:
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1245653 wrote: Well ... the decision has been made!

My next car is a Ford Fiesta Zetec :-6:D

I get to pick it up on December 17th :D:driving:

congrats on the new car Pinks!

do you have a pic?

or did you have to order one?
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Odie;1245725 wrote: congrats on the new car Pinks!

do you have a pic?

Not yet but I'll get one :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

pinkchick;1245726 wrote: Not yet but I'll get one :-4

I will google it if that's easier for you?
dubs

Post by dubs »

D'you reckon she's getting this pink one?

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

dubs;1245739 wrote: D'you reckon she's getting this pink one?

Cheers dubsey :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

dubs;1245739 wrote: D'you reckon she's getting this pink one?

oh wow! It's just so cute!

definitely pink!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

thank you dubs for posting it for me!
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Odie;1245744 wrote: oh wow! It's just so cute!

definitely pink!:yh_rotfl

thank you dubs for posting it for me!

You think so, huh?

Return to “Autos Vehicles”