*!^*#!!^*

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

All 4 of the screws that attach my license plate to my car rusted and broke off inside the threaded holes when I tried to remove them.

I purchased Grab It which is supposed to bite into the screws after pre-drilling then pounding the device into the screws and reverse them out but the bit broke.

I bought another and will try again but is there a tribal dance or magic words I should use before my efforts at failure for the 2nd time ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1223387 wrote: All 4 of the screws that attach my license plate to my car rusted and broke off inside the threaded holes when I tried to remove them.

I purchased Grab It which is supposed to bite into the screws after pre-drilling then pounding the device into the screws and reverse them out but the bit broke.

I bought another and will try again but is there a tribal dance or magic words I should use before my efforts at failure for the 2nd time ?
Buy a new car !!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1223389 wrote: Buy a new car !!!

Because my license plate screws are rusted ?

Is this your top shelf advice or can you do better ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

*!^*#!!^*

Nomad;1223395 wrote: Because my license plate screws are rusted ?

Is this your top shelf advice or can you do better ? Yep, top shelf advice.

OR....... don't let your screws get wet in the first place.

Steal another car.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Imladris

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Imladris »

Nomad;1223387 wrote: All 4 of the screws that attach my license plate to my car rusted and broke off inside the threaded holes when I tried to remove them.

Yes

I could tell you but it'll cost you............
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
CARLA

*!^*#!!^*

Post by CARLA »

So your talking about the entire license plate bracket correct? Not just the front plate screws correct? I need details if I'm going to weight in on this project Nomie.. :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1223406 wrote: So your talking about the entire license plate bracket correct? Not just the front plate screws correct? I need details if I'm going to weight in on this project Nomie.. :D

Hi muka. The plate and bracket are off the car. The screws themselves are broken perhaps 1/2' inside the plate screw threaded holes. Im about to embark on another adventure sure to end with me crying and throwing wrenches or possibly burning the house down. Neighbors will hear expletives coming from inside the garage that will cause them to hurry the kids in and lock their doors.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Accountable »

That might qualify your car as a clunker. If so, you can get $4500 for trade-in.

An alternative would be to use double sided tape to stick the new plate on the old one.
Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1223433 wrote: That might qualify your car as a clunker. If so, you can get $4500 for trade-in.

An alternative would be to use double sided tape to stick the new plate on the old one.

No the screws must come out even if it means I end up in jail for for causing a disturbance.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bill Sikes

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Bill Sikes »

No. What's the metal the things are threaded into? If you can heat it up (No! Not the whole car!) with oxy-acetylene or some small gas torch that might help. You probably won't be able to get them out, especially now that there's a nice piece of hardened steel "Grab It" stuck in. Spark erosion will work if you've got someone who will do it. Perhaps you can drill out the whole thing and re-tap the hole. Other things to try are getting at the far side of the metal, annointing with acid for a day or three (before removal!), drilling a small hole to remove a section of the bolt and thread....

What do these screws screw into? Sheet metal? Cast iron? Alloy?
Odie

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Odie »

perhaps you should have replaced the screws years ago.:sneaky:

men just don't know how to take care of their cars!
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

Bill Sikes;1223442 wrote: No. What's the metal the things are threaded into? If you can heat it up (No! Not the whole car!) with oxy-acetylene or some small gas torch that might help. You probably won't be able to get them out, especially now that there's a nice piece of hardened steel "Grab It" stuck in. Spark erosion will work if you've got someone who will do it. Perhaps you can drill out the whole thing and re-tap the hole. Other things to try are getting at the far side of the metal, annointing with acid for a day or three (before removal!), drilling a small hole to remove a section of the bolt and thread....

What do these screws screw into? Sheet metal? Cast iron? Alloy?

Holy Moly !

What do they screw into...well......a little hole. I dunno. I couldnt drill through the broken screws. I used 2 sided tape but it wont stay. I can tell.

So i should torch the car ?

Ok.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

*!^*#!!^*

Post by CARLA »

Sparks, torches, around the car not a good idea Nomie. Take it to a shop they can push those bolts out in a second. Might require a bigger hole then you want on your bumper but it will be gone. ;) Then have the bumper patched and install one all over again. It never ends does it.. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bill Sikes

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Bill Sikes »

Nomad;1223465 wrote: So i should torch the car ?

Ok.

Maybe. Yo' got 'surance?

If it's just screwed onto your bumper, you may be able to punch the screws through, but it doesn't sound as though thy are (unless they're screwed into something solid on the other side, or they've got nuts on the other side). Hey! Photo the thing & post it somewhere!

You could always tie onanother number plate with binder twine, and say "Oooh arrr!" to people...
Bruv

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Bruv »

More information required.

Align the holes in licence plate and slightly offset, and re-drill new holes, then fix with self tapping screws to suit holes drilled
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

*!^*#!!^*

Peter Lake has told me to tell you to use penetrating oil and to leave for a day to soak in :D

Failing that buy velcro that you buy in car accessory shops.
Imladris

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Imladris »

Nomad;1223429 wrote: throwing wenches .

don't they object to such rough treatment??
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
theDC

*!^*#!!^*

Post by theDC »

Happened to me before too. I hate when screws get stripped :-5
The Internet's Most Popular Blog
Oscar Namechange

*!^*#!!^*

Imladris;1223752 wrote:

don't they object to such rough treatment??
:wah:
along-for-the-ride

*!^*#!!^*

Post by along-for-the-ride »

*!^*#!!^* reply:

Here's what you need, Nomie. :)

Remote Hide-Away License Plate

Or this:

I know you like gadgets.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bill Sikes

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Bill Sikes »

Well - have you fixed it?
Nomad

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Nomad »

Bill Sikes;1223952 wrote: Well - have you fixed it?

Im going to have to pay. One day though I will successfully repair something on my own car.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bill Sikes

*!^*#!!^*

Post by Bill Sikes »

Nomad;1223976 wrote: Im going to have to pay.

(gloom) Everybody has to pay.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”