Car Repairs

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Nomad

Car Repairs

Post by Nomad »

Do you take your vehicle to the dealer, an independent mechanic or do repairs yourself ?

Do you trust your mechanic ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Car Repairs

Post by CARLA »

I take my new HONDA to the dealers. Working on newer Cars just isn't possible anymore. Do I trust the Dealer good question since I own a HONDA its never at the dealers except for scheduled maintenance. :driving:

Now on my 1973 Camaro I work on it you can actually see the entire 350 engine and all parts going to it. :wah: I do have a trusted mechanic that does a great job when I need it. You see this beauty is all original hub caps to engine is original just over 210,000 miles and going strong. Being the original owner I can tell your I have never made a smarter purchase than this car. :driving:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Car Repairs

Post by Odie »

80% of all repairs are done by my husband.

its fabulous to have someone who knows so much.

and I have also learnt a lot.............like staying out of his hair.
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

Car Repairs

Post by Betty Boop »

Nomad;1148454 wrote: Do you take your vehicle to the dealer, an independent mechanic or do repairs yourself ?

Do you trust your mechanic ?

I check the oil and water.... have never had to change a tyre... chappy next door does any little bits and peices it needs.

Currently it is overheating and chappy next door doesn't have a female torx, so I am hoping my little independent garage down the road will be cheap and efficient tomorrow morning to clear what is hopefully just a blockage :yh_pray
Chezzie

Car Repairs

Post by Chezzie »

except for the mot my hubs does all the servicing and repairing.
Nomad

Car Repairs

Post by Nomad »

Betty Boop;1148463 wrote: chappy next door doesn't have a female torx
No but you do. Work it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Car Repairs

Post by chonsigirl »

I take it to the dealer, I have a Hyundai. It is almost 6 years old and still has the warranty going on it-100,000 miles or 10 years. I'll hit the ten years. :)
abbey

Car Repairs

Post by abbey »

I trust my mechanic, he's my brother. :-6
Betty Boop

Car Repairs

Post by Betty Boop »

Nomad;1148543 wrote: No but you do. Work it.

:yh_rotfl
Odie

Car Repairs

Post by Odie »

abbey;1148614 wrote: I trust my mechanic, he's my brother. :-6

what more could you ask for!:guitarist:guitarist
Victoria

Car Repairs

Post by Victoria »

Small routine stuff , tyre pressure, oil anti freeze ect I do myself.

Repairs are done either by OH who knows loads and has been building and repairing cars since the year dot, or my son who is a fully qualified mechanic !

No I dont trust many garages I once wanted my wheels balanced and went into National tyres they told me my mini had dangerous tyres that the steel wall was giving way and thats why they were so flat. ( they were low profile tyres).

One guy put the car on the bridge and than a mechanic came to look it over.

While the car was still up on the bridge he told me that the shocks were gone( he couldnt even see them) and that the power steering was leaking fluid. (minis have old rack and pinion steering no power steering!)

I got him to write out a full quote for all the work the car needed doing and sign it then he let the car off the ramp and realised that he was looking at a car less than 3 months old. I hopped in and drove to the nearest trading standards office.

That branch of national tyres closed down a few months later.
Bez

Car Repairs

Post by Bez »

I trust my mechanic...he's my son :)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Betty Boop

Car Repairs

Post by Betty Boop »

My nephew is a tractor mechanic, maybe I ought to invest in a tractor, then I know I won't be ripped off at the garage ;)

My car is booked in for tomorrow morning, keeping everything crossed that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg :(
Nomad

Car Repairs

Post by Nomad »

You have a brother. Ok. Any sisters ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
sunny104

Car Repairs

Post by sunny104 »

I have a Hyundai too. :-6
qsducks

Car Repairs

Post by qsducks »

Took the Ford Explorer to the dealer once for a free oil change, but I take it to a friend around the corner who does all the work on and yes, I trust him. Used to be my daughter's softball coach. He also does all the work on hubs company trucks.
michaelross

Car Repairs

Post by michaelross »

for minor replacements, i handle it myself.. however, for difficult car issues, id have it repaired by an auto mechanic.. i dont wanna end up blown up with my car if in case it explodes due to wrong connections. :yh_rotfl
Odie

Car Repairs

Post by Odie »

oil change tomorrow on my car........and as soon as its done before leaving the lot, I will check the oil level myself.:D

to many horror stories of mechanics forgetting to put the oil back in.:sneaky::lips:
michaelross

Car Repairs

Post by michaelross »

just replaced the oil and my next project would be installing the car bra on my ride.. just not pretty sure how to do it though.. :yh_rotfl
Mutley

Car Repairs

Post by Mutley »

I would have no idea what to do with my car if something went wrong!

Snorty does the basic maintenance for me but the local mechanic does everything else.

Luckily nothing has ever gone wrong so my truck only goes to mechanic once a year for Mot/Service.
hoppy

Car Repairs

Post by hoppy »

40 years ago I had a friend who worked for an International truck repair shop. He did some work on the side on his weekends. One weekend he needed rear end parts for a Cadillac. The parts store quoted a price that seemed very high. The clerk took him aside and told him to order what he needed for an Oldsmobile. Much cheaper, same thing.

I don't know how it works these days. That's how it was in the good old days.
Nomad

Car Repairs

Post by Nomad »

michaelross;1240827 wrote: just replaced the oil and my next project would be installing the car bra on my ride.. just not pretty sure how to do it though.. :yh_rotfl

Goes on the front end. That'll get you started.

I was thinking of putting those rain visors over the door windows and the sun roof. Or is that dorky?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Car Repairs

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1241062 wrote: Goes on the front end. That'll get you started.

I was thinking of putting those rain visors over the door windows and the sun roof. Or is that dorky?

not dorky.....everyone uses them here...keeps the sun & heat out.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”