running your car on cooking oil

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

I dont drive:sneaky: well only people round the bend:p

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

jimbo;750292 wrote: thanks for the sympathy post :wah:

chopra drives me round the bend mind you spurs have got you again soon revenge will be mine mwaaaoooohhh mwaaaaoooohhh

Thank god we won one at last:wah: mind we been robbed of four points two games in a row:mad: i think its time they do the same thing as rugby and ask for comfirmation via playback.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I've heard about it. It's diesel made from corn instead of fossil fuel type oil. The diesel engine doesn't need any adjustment to use it. The only problem is finding it ... and affording it, since the supply is very low.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Question for Jimbo - my car has those heated seats. If I start running it on cooking oil, will it start frying my butt like an egg. :thinking:
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

yEA jIMBO i HAVE HEARD OF IT BUT WASNT GAME TO TRY IT:-3
FOC THREAD PART 1
abbey

Post by abbey »

My brother buys a special diesel that's made out of cooking oil,

I can't remember the name of it but I know it's cheaper than regular diesel.

I did ask him was it ok to mix & match regular with it and he said he does it all the time with no damage to his engine.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Jim, an acquaintance of mine actually processes used oil from chip shops etc, for use in diesels. Off the top of my head I can't think of his contact number, but if you like I can try to find details for you, and maybe post it on here. He has this processing 'plant' in a large garage next to his house. I believe he is a lecturer at a local university. I do know that he runs his vehicle on this processed oil with no reduction in performance of the car. He has been doing this for a couple of years now and calls round loads of chip shops to collect their used oil and he has organised a list of regular suppliers. They have somewhere to get rid of their old oil and he recycles it to good purpose.:D
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Crisco. Just dump it in.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Hubby was watching a show on it earlier. I caught how they processed the cooking oil for use. They used lye to get rid of the food smells and coloring from the oil, then added methanol. It was pretty interesting.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

you can in fact run diesel engines on peanut oil and vegetable oil. "And I bet the exhaust fumes smell of donuts!"

Vegetable oil can be used as diesel fuel just as it is, without being converted to biodiesel.

The downside is that straight vegetable oil (SVO) is much more viscous (thicker) than conventional diesel fuel or biodiesel, and it doesn't burn the same in the engine -- many studies have found that it can damage engines.

BUT it can be done properly and safely -- IF you get a professional engine conversion. (See below.)

There are other approaches, here are the main ones:

Just put it in and go.

Mix it with diesel fuel or kerosene then just put it in and go.

Blend it with an organic solvent additive or with what some companies call "our secret ingredient that we'll tell you about if you pay us" (several versions) or with up to 20% gasoline (petrol), just put it in and go.

The only way to use veg-oil is in a properly installed two-tank system where the oil is pre-heated and you start up and shut down on diesel fuel (or biodiesel).

We've never had much time for Nos. 1 to 3 (more below), and we've had a two-tank SVO kit for a couple of years that pre-heats the oil and switches the fuel, but we never used it. They do work, but we just didn't think it solved the problem very well, and the more we learnt about it the more we didn't think so. (More about two-tank SVO systems.)

Along with many others, especially in Europe, we think pre-heating the oil is still not enough to ensure that it will combust properly inside the engine. It needs a complete system including specially made injector nozzles and glow plugs optimised for veg-oil, such as the professional single-tank SVO kits from Germany. Then you really can just put it in and go.

In March 2005 we installed a single-tank SVO system from Elsbett Technologie in our TownAce (1990 Toyota TownAce 1.9-litre 4-cyl turbo-diesel 4x4 van). The kit includes modified injector nozzles, stronger glow plugs, dual fuel heating, temperature controls and parallel fuel filters, and it does just what it claims to do.

There's no waiting or switching fuels from one to the other, just start up and go, stop and switch off, like any other car. It starts easily and runs cleanly from the start, even at sub-freezing temperatures. It can use SVO or biodiesel or petro-diesel or any combination of the three.

The professional single-tank SVO kits are the only SVO kits we recommend. Read on and we'll tell you why. We'll tell you about the other available options too.

See: Single-tank SVO systems.

See: Journey to Forever's Elsbett SVO system.

SVO basics

Alphabet soup

SVO - straight vegetable oil used as diesel fuel (usually new oil, fresh, uncooked)

PPO - pure plant oils, same as SVO: PPO is the term most often used in Europe

WVO - waste vegetable oil (used cooking oil, "grease", fryer oil, probably including animal fats or fish oils from the cooking)

UCO - used cooking oil (what we called it in the first place until everyone started calling it WVO, even if it wasn't necessarily all vegetable)

IDI - Indirect Injection diesel engines: the fuel is injected into a pre-chamber or swirl-chamber before going on to the combustion chamber. Pre-chamber engines are more tolerant of SVO than swirl-chamber engines.

DI - Direct Injection diesel engines: the fuel is injected straight into the combustion chamber. DI diesels are less tolerant of SVO than IDI engines (see The TDI-SVO controversy). Types of DI diesels:

TDI - Turbo Direct Injection

CDI or CRD - Common-rail Direct Injection

PDI or PD - Pumpe Düse Unit Injection (Direct Injection, each injector has its own pump)

The choice

The basic choice for running diesels on biofuels:

make biodiesel and just use it, no need to convert the engine, or

convert the engine so you can run it on SVO -- no need to process the fuel.

It's not quite that simple. For instance, if you want to use waste vegetable oil, which is often free, you're going to have to process it anyway, though less so than to make biodiesel. And it still might not be very good fuel.

More on the choice between biodiesel and SVO.

One of the great advantages of biodiesel is that it will run in any diesel engine. The same claim has been made for two-tank SVO fuel systems: "Ready-to-install kit that will allow you to run any diesel on waste vegetable oil." Also in any weather.

Is it true? Maybe, but for how long?

In cold weather vegetable oil crystallises, forming solid wax crystals that can quickly block the fuel filters. One solution to the all-weather problem with two-tank kits is to change the filter in winter, using a 30-micron filter instead of the standard 10-micron filter (or less), so the wax crystals just go straight through without blocking the filter and melt in the injection pump, allegedly without causing any stress or damage.

Also going straight through into the injection pump however will be any solid particles of between 10 and 30 microns that the specified standard filter would have stopped.

Would you do it?

Vendor's claim:

"The Racor filter that comes with the Greasel kit filters down to 28 microns. If the oil being used is dirty, the Racor will do its job and protect your pump and injectors."

Comment from a diesel injection workshop:

"I wouldn’t do it. They put that original 5-10 micron rating on there for a reason."

Comment from injection pump manufacturer Stanadyne:

"We do not recommend using the 30 micron as the final filter at any time. As the final filter, that micron rating will cause problems with the injection equipment in terms of wear/injector plugging, etc. We recommend using the Fuel Manager 5 Micron element (there are many lengths to choose from) as the final filter. If the system is 'common rail' then we recommend using the Fuel Manager 2 Micron."

It's your choice.

Diesel engines last a long time, half a million miles or more is not unusual, and there are not many thorough, long-term studies of the effects of using straight vegetable oil in diesel engines. What is clear is that "any diesel" is an exaggeration.

Some diesel engines are more suitable than others.

Some vegetable oils are better than others.

Some injection pumps work better than others.

Some SVO kits are better than others.

Some computerised fuel systems don't like vegetable oil at all.

There are doubts about using waste vegetable oil.

There are doubts about using straight vegetable oil in DI (Direct Injection) diesels.

more info from http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html
watermark

Post by watermark »

jimbo;750288 wrote: i read that an American singer willie nelson i do believe runs his car on chip fat or cooking oil

it shook my to find out it can be done :confused:

has anyone on fg done it i'd love to know :thinking:

http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/ ... ofuel.html

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/qswhichcars.html

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/page701a.htm

I've never seen a vegetable oil pump. I'd do it if I could maybe if I didn't think otherwise after giving it some thought. Depends on how much it costs. Also depends on if it would hurt my car. Aaaand I heard growing corn crops defeats the purpose due to energy loss in other ways.

E
watermark

Post by watermark »

fuzzy butt;750784 wrote: I've seen it done in a farm shed it's messy and time consuming but worth it .Not worth it in cost if you make your own but worth as in enviromental reasons. Of course though to make the fuel you need electricity to run the pumps and such which in turn uses brown coal :thinking: no matter we'll get there eventually

We now have canola growing where it never used to be planted in paddocks, this stuff has really taken off.

Hmm..that's interesting. Why wasn't it grown in paddocks before?

:)
watermark

Post by watermark »

Chezzie;750467 wrote: you can in fact run diesel engines on peanut oil and vegetable oil. "And I bet the exhaust fumes smell of donuts!"

Vegetable oil can be used as diesel fuel just as it is, without being converted to biodiesel.

The downside is that straight vegetable oil (SVO) is much more viscous (thicker) than conventional diesel fuel or biodiesel, and it doesn't burn the same in the engine -- many studies have found that it can damage engines.

BUT it can be done properly and safely -- IF you get a professional engine conversion. (See below.)

There are other approaches, here are the main ones:

Just put it in and go.

Mix it with diesel fuel or kerosene then just put it in and go.

Blend it with an organic solvent additive or with what some companies call "our secret ingredient that we'll tell you about if you pay us" (several versions) or with up to 20% gasoline (petrol), just put it in and go.

The only way to use veg-oil is in a properly installed two-tank system where the oil is pre-heated and you start up and shut down on diesel fuel (or biodiesel).

We've never had much time for Nos. 1 to 3 (more below), and we've had a two-tank SVO kit for a couple of years that pre-heats the oil and switches the fuel, but we never used it. They do work, but we just didn't think it solved the problem very well, and the more we learnt about it the more we didn't think so. (More about two-tank SVO systems.)

Along with many others, especially in Europe, we think pre-heating the oil is still not enough to ensure that it will combust properly inside the engine. It needs a complete system including specially made injector nozzles and glow plugs optimised for veg-oil, such as the professional single-tank SVO kits from Germany. Then you really can just put it in and go.

In March 2005 we installed a single-tank SVO system from Elsbett Technologie in our TownAce (1990 Toyota TownAce 1.9-litre 4-cyl turbo-diesel 4x4 van). The kit includes modified injector nozzles, stronger glow plugs, dual fuel heating, temperature controls and parallel fuel filters, and it does just what it claims to do.

There's no waiting or switching fuels from one to the other, just start up and go, stop and switch off, like any other car. It starts easily and runs cleanly from the start, even at sub-freezing temperatures. It can use SVO or biodiesel or petro-diesel or any combination of the three.

The professional single-tank SVO kits are the only SVO kits we recommend. Read on and we'll tell you why. We'll tell you about the other available options too.

See: Single-tank SVO systems.

See: Journey to Forever's Elsbett SVO system.

SVO basics

Alphabet soup

SVO - straight vegetable oil used as diesel fuel (usually new oil, fresh, uncooked)

PPO - pure plant oils, same as SVO: PPO is the term most often used in Europe

WVO - waste vegetable oil (used cooking oil, "grease", fryer oil, probably including animal fats or fish oils from the cooking)

UCO - used cooking oil (what we called it in the first place until everyone started calling it WVO, even if it wasn't necessarily all vegetable)

IDI - Indirect Injection diesel engines: the fuel is injected into a pre-chamber or swirl-chamber before going on to the combustion chamber. Pre-chamber engines are more tolerant of SVO than swirl-chamber engines.

DI - Direct Injection diesel engines: the fuel is injected straight into the combustion chamber. DI diesels are less tolerant of SVO than IDI engines (see The TDI-SVO controversy). Types of DI diesels:

TDI - Turbo Direct Injection

CDI or CRD - Common-rail Direct Injection

PDI or PD - Pumpe Düse Unit Injection (Direct Injection, each injector has its own pump)

The choice

The basic choice for running diesels on biofuels:

make biodiesel and just use it, no need to convert the engine, or

convert the engine so you can run it on SVO -- no need to process the fuel.

It's not quite that simple. For instance, if you want to use waste vegetable oil, which is often free, you're going to have to process it anyway, though less so than to make biodiesel. And it still might not be very good fuel.

More on the choice between biodiesel and SVO.

One of the great advantages of biodiesel is that it will run in any diesel engine. The same claim has been made for two-tank SVO fuel systems: "Ready-to-install kit that will allow you to run any diesel on waste vegetable oil." Also in any weather.

Is it true? Maybe, but for how long?

In cold weather vegetable oil crystallises, forming solid wax crystals that can quickly block the fuel filters. One solution to the all-weather problem with two-tank kits is to change the filter in winter, using a 30-micron filter instead of the standard 10-micron filter (or less), so the wax crystals just go straight through without blocking the filter and melt in the injection pump, allegedly without causing any stress or damage.

Also going straight through into the injection pump however will be any solid particles of between 10 and 30 microns that the specified standard filter would have stopped.

Would you do it?

Vendor's claim:

"The Racor filter that comes with the Greasel kit filters down to 28 microns. If the oil being used is dirty, the Racor will do its job and protect your pump and injectors."

Comment from a diesel injection workshop:

"I wouldn’t do it. They put that original 5-10 micron rating on there for a reason."

Comment from injection pump manufacturer Stanadyne:

"We do not recommend using the 30 micron as the final filter at any time. As the final filter, that micron rating will cause problems with the injection equipment in terms of wear/injector plugging, etc. We recommend using the Fuel Manager 5 Micron element (there are many lengths to choose from) as the final filter. If the system is 'common rail' then we recommend using the Fuel Manager 2 Micron."

It's your choice.

Diesel engines last a long time, half a million miles or more is not unusual, and there are not many thorough, long-term studies of the effects of using straight vegetable oil in diesel engines. What is clear is that "any diesel" is an exaggeration.

Some diesel engines are more suitable than others.

Some vegetable oils are better than others.

Some injection pumps work better than others.

Some SVO kits are better than others.

Some computerised fuel systems don't like vegetable oil at all.

There are doubts about using waste vegetable oil.

There are doubts about using straight vegetable oil in DI (Direct Injection) diesels.

more info from http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

You are one smart cookie when it comes to veggie oil fuel! I don't know what to comprehend first. Is this the way to go, this kind of fuel?

E
watermark

Post by watermark »

fuzzy butt;750792 wrote: didn't need it as feed (used other crops) but now there is a market for it. Plus farmers are growing it for themselves to produce their own fuel

Do you believe production produces energy byproducts that equal petroleum products or other alternatives? In other words is this source fouling our air and environment as does oil, etc? Do you think it's a good option for auto fuel?

:-6
xalisonx

Post by xalisonx »

Somebody i know does this in his people carrier, he said he puts in 15 pounds worth of diseal in then fills the rest of it up with cooking oil stright out the bottle, says he can do really good milage on the stuff and recommends it!

plus its all legal so not like using the dodgy red diseal stuff!!

xx
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

My middle son wants a car that runs on cooking oil...the other day after making dinner, he showed me the grease that came off the hamburgers and told me "just think how many miles I could get out of this!":thinking::wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jester;838259 wrote: My pleasure and good luck, to make it feasible for you you need to make 50 gallons a week for the average diesel non delivery vehicle.

Hell's Teeth! Between the car, my bike, the camper van and the boat we don't use ten gallons of fuel in a week - that's my wife's, youngest daughter's and my own travel needs covered.

Fifty gallons of diesel would be good for at least a couple of thousand miles - that's probably two month's driving for the three of us!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jester;838282 wrote: My typical route is a hundred miles a day. Everythings so dang spread out here!

Anywhere in our village or the next we walk and where else do we need to go :wah:

When I'm here, work is within ten minutes walk so no problem.

Biggest trip is the forty miles to the boat but that's always justified.

Return to “Autos Vehicles”