Raphael

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

I'm starting this open thread as Admin. I'm looking to gather a consensus.

Raphael has just been given a final ban after persistent attempts at annoying the residents. It is several years since the site was faced with this level of disruption.

We have a list of permanently banned ex-members, and the list refers to people in the real world rather than usernames. For reference the complete list at the moment is

JJ

Someone threatening litigation

A chap from Ontario

Glaswegian

Glen Labella

Andy/Grumpy

Paula/Agnes

Greg

Raphael

That's around one permanent ban per 20 months. I'll edit if I've forgotten anyone but I think it's complete.

Spammer usernames are permanently banned too but they're just anonymous bots with no real world existence.

Nobody on that list has ever been banned for inanity, incoherence or unacceptable opinion, it's always been disruption of the site. If unacceptable opinion or incoherence were criteria I'd have been flung off long since.

So to my question. When the site has been provoked to this extreme extent, do we think we ought to out the person behind the username as a general warning to the Internet at large, or are we content that people like this should retain anonymity and continue to cause indefinite damage elsewhere with no lasting trail.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

I don't see 'her' on that list.

Too bad there isn't a way to gather the lot of them into their own private forum.

They deserve each other.

I'm all for outing him.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

She's there, I just didn't want to use the word.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1527979 wrote: Oscar's there, I just didn't want to use the word.

Oohhh.

Sorry, Got it, now. Forgive me. I came here without my Coffee.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Raphael

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1527980 wrote: Oohhh.

Sorry, Got it, now. Forgive me. I came here without my Coffee.

The threat of litigation was probably the least of her crimes on this site :-(

As a general stance I would be against it, he’s a right royal pain in the proverbial but I don’t see it as our place to pursue him across the internet. It’s for each site to make there own minds.
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1527985 wrote: The threat of litigation was probably the least of her crimes on this site :-(

As a general stance I would be against it, he’s a right royal pain in the proverbial but I don’t see it as our place to pursue him across the internet. It’s for each site to make there own minds.

The thing is, without an available heads-up, future forum admins may well find themselves with 314 posts defiling their site before they come to a decision.

There's also the deterrent effect to consider, both for future potential twerps registering here and for this particular antisocial twerp in doing it serially elsewhere.

What we need is an instantiated stance, if that's an allowable phrase in English.
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1527986 wrote: The thing is, without an available heads-up, future forum admins may well find themselves with 314 posts defiling their site before they come to a decision.

There's also the deterrent effect to consider, both for future potential twerps registering here and for this particular antisocial twerp in doing it serially elsewhere.

What we need is a particular instantiated stance, if that's an allowable phrase in English.

Theoretically, what he is doing is a form of SPAM, not unlike the antics of Xfrod...

Reporting him on the stopforumspam function might at least give them a heads-up.

I see he is currently on a temporary Ban.

At the least, I vote to make that permanent.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

I am curious

His settings indicate that he receives a daily notification of replies to threads in which he is "subscribed"

Will that continue even with his 'banned' status?
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

You put this where he can read it, I see. Good idea!

Raffy, perhaps when you get all this silliness out of your system and grow up a bit, you'll come back. Many of us have been nuisances online. Allow this to be learning experience. Spot and Bryn are about as patient as you'll come across, so don't be shy if or when you decide to give this another go.

In the meantime, I wish you the best, my friend.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1527990 wrote: You put this where he can read it, I see. Good idea!

Raffy, perhaps when you get all this silliness out of your system and grow up a bit, you'll come back. Many of us have been nuisances online. Allow this to be learning experience. Spot and Bryn are about as patient as you'll come across, so don't be shy if or when you decide to give this another go.

In the meantime, I wish you the best, my friend.

Actually, this can only be read by supporting members, which Raphael is not.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1527991 wrote: Actually, this can only be read by supporting members, which Raphael is not.

You're thinking of Infractions. I just checked while not logged in, and this is visible.

102/74. My blood pressure. I changed the batteries just to be sure. Why my pulse is 82 I'm not certain - chewing celery perhaps.
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1527992 wrote: You're thinking of Infractions. I just checked while not logged in, and this is visible.

102/74. My blood pressure. I changed the batteries just to be sure. Why my pulse is 82 I'm not certain - chewing celery perhaps.

oops. I am corrected.

102/74 is not too bad. mine usually runs 105-115/65-70 I only eat celery cooked. Occasionally tolerate it, finely chopped, in a salad.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1527992 wrote: 102/74. My blood pressure. I changed the batteries just to be sure. Why my pulse is 82 I'm not certain - chewing celery perhaps.Isn't it best to leave vibrators off when checking blood pressure?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1527997 wrote: Isn't it best to leave vibrators off when checking blood pressure?

I'm not sure the device you refer to would get far with two AAA cells, but I speak from a position of ignorance. You may well be better informed.
Bryn Mawr

Raphael

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1527988 wrote: I am curious

His settings indicate that he receives a daily notification of replies to threads in which he is "subscribed"

Will that continue even with his 'banned' status?

To be honest I really do not know, I would guess that he would.
Betty Boop

Raphael

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1527998 wrote: I'm not sure the device you refer to would get far with two AAA cells, but I speak from a position of ignorance. You may well be better informed.

He is insinuating you have another battery powered device about your person.
Betty Boop

Raphael

Post by Betty Boop »

As for Raphael, the man's a twat, he makes no sense and is just pig ignorant. He's not worth all this effort.
Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1527998 wrote: You may well be better informed.You'll note that I posted it as a question.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1528001 wrote: As for Raphael, the man's a twat, he makes no sense and is just pig ignorant. He's not worth all this effort.Perhaps more than one person used the account.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1528001 wrote: As for Raphael, the man's a twat, he makes no sense and is just pig ignorant. He's not worth all this effort.

Blimey. We have a quorum.
LarsMac

Raphael

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1528003 wrote: Perhaps more than one person used the account.

More than one with a mind like that? That doesn't bode well for society.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Speaking as one with limited social skills might I point out that forums like these are practically designed to act as refuges from the world at large. I have often found that all it takes is a desire to engage politely.
Betty Boop

Raphael

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1528011 wrote: Speaking as one with limited social skills might I point out that forums like these are practically designed to act as refuges from the world at large. I have often found that all it takes is a desire to engage politely.

You are still looking for that desire then?
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1528012 wrote: You are still looking for that desire then?

I shall unfathom social intercourse eventually.

Meanwhile, would you like to see the left side of my desk? I've decided it needs tidying.

Betty Boop

Raphael

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1528013 wrote: I shall unfathom social intercourse eventually.

Meanwhile, would you like to see the left side of my desk? I've decided it needs tidying.

You've stolen Rosie's mug and trinket jar ?
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1528014 wrote: You've stolen Rosie's mug and trinket jar ?

I'm not sure how it ended up here, to be honest. It was at inside one of the boxes of books.
Betty Boop

Raphael

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't agree with spreading it all around though, I'm not convinced it helps it just makes people suspicious of you. Other places will soon get the measure of him.
Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

Spot, I hope you know I was just having some fun. I apologize if I offended you in any way. The devices I was referring to are muscle massagers.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1528037 wrote: Spot, I hope you know I was just having some fun. I apologize if I offended you in any way. The devices I was referring to are muscle massagers.

Not at all, fun is one of those odd areas I attempt to explore on occasion but for the life of me I can't grasp the idea at all. I do keep trying though, much to the annoyance of those within earshot.

As for the device you describe I have serious doubts it actually exists, I've certainly never encountered one.

The photo I took missed my inkwell, I quite like my inkwell. Let me try again.

Aficionados will recognize a Vista sticker on the laptop I perversely continue to use 4 years after I picked it up on eBay for £60. And the sprocket holes on the computer listing paper.

And yes, that really is a genuine stickered Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2 model 113. Perfection shouldn't be imitated. Thank you Mr Gates.

I'd also mention that the 48°C on the panel is lower than the laptop would have shown when new under Vista, unlike the xfce displayed. A CPU passmark of 1,453 isn't really sensible on the Internet Highway any longer but I'm stubborn that way. Today's laptop of choice gives 10,000 using a bare 15W processor and desktops are at 30,000.

What other parsimonious bits are to hand. This bit's fun, there's a LAMP+SAMBA server somewhere in the building which cost me £5 new and runs my son's domain and a few oddments.

john@8530p:~$ pi

Linux pi-zero 4.19.42+ #1219 Tue May 14 21:16:38 BST 2019 armv6l

Last login: Thu Nov 21 14:24:11 2019 from 192.168.4.94

john@pi-zero:~ $ service --status-all [hand-trimmed for brevity]

[ + ] apache2

[ + ] fail2ban

[ + ] mysql

[ + ] samba

[ + ] ufw

[ + ] unattended-upgrades

john@pi-zero:~ $ free

total used free shared buff/cache available

Mem: 443140 52516 56364 30520 334260 304764

Swap: 1150968 62720 1088248

john@pi-zero:~ $ php -v

PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u6 (cli) (built: Oct 24 2019 18:50:20) ( NTS )

john@pi-zero:~ $ uptime

12:08:51 up 112 days, 6 min, 1 user, load average: 1.38, 1.16, 1.11

john@pi-zero:~ $

Ahso!

Raphael

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1528040 wrote: As for the device you describe I have serious doubts it actually exists, I've certainly never encountered one.https://www.ebay.com/c/1339691496

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Raphael

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1528041 wrote: https://www.ebay.com/c/1339691496

The modern world never ceases to amaze me.

Speaking of which I uninstalled Google Assistant from my phone a while back too. I'm not going to have that listening to me all the while. I'm consequently now averaging 4 days per charge, which on a 3.5 year old dual SIM phone running Android 9 syncing to two email servers is not bad. And yes, it does have this November's security updates applied.
Bryn Mawr

Raphael

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1528037 wrote: Spot, I hope you know I was just having some fun. I apologize if I offended you in any way. The devices I was referring to are muscle massagers.

Is that what they massage - I have wondered :-)
Louise-Rene

Raphael

Post by Louise-Rene »

spot;1527976 wrote: I'm starting this open thread as Admin. I'm looking to gather a consensus.

Raphael has just been given a final ban after persistent attempts at annoying the residents. It is several years since the site was faced with this level of disruption.

We have a list of permanently banned ex-members, and the list refers to people in the real world rather than usernames. For reference the complete list at the moment is

JJ

Someone threatening litigation

A chap from Ontario

Glaswegian

Glen Labella

Andy/Grumpy

Paula/Agnes

Greg

Raphael

That's around one permanent ban per 20 months. I'll edit if I've forgotten anyone but I think it's complete.

Spammer usernames are permanently banned too but they're just anonymous bots with no real world existence.

Nobody on that list has ever been banned for inanity, incoherence or unacceptable opinion, it's always been disruption of the site. If unacceptable opinion or incoherence were criteria I'd have been flung off long since.

So to my question. When the site has been provoked to this extreme extent, do we think we ought to out the person behind the username as a general warning to the Internet at large, or are we content that people like this should retain anonymity and continue to cause indefinite damage elsewhere with no lasting trail.

Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”