Lap top Question...

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I had my laptop on the coffee table plugged Into the mains along with headphones and one of the dogs got tangled In the wires and brought the laptop down where It hit the floor. The floor being quarry tiles saw the screen go black and that was that.

I put It Into my local repair shop where I know the owner and trust him and he says It can't be fixed.

My Insurance company Is telling me that they are not satisfied It can't be repaired and told me the procedure Is to have an agent call, hand over the excess and they will take It away to see If It can be repaired themselves before they pay out.

Frankly, I am not happy handing over my laptop to a complete stranger. Unfortunately I have the entire membership list for the BNP for the entire country stored on my laptop and something someone already tried to buy from me once. You need a password to access the files but I am sure this can be hacked.

Is there anyway I can remove the hard drive before It's handed over?

Thanks In advance.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Lap top Question...

Post by LarsMac »

You can, but then, they may consider that "tampering" and invalidate the policy.

You should ask your repairman what is it that is broke, and why it cannot be repaired.

My laptop has bounced off a number of floors and driveways over the years, once from the roof of a Ford Explorer.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

LarsMac;1436329 wrote: You can, but then, they may consider that "tampering" and invalidate the policy.

You should ask your repairman what is it that is broke, and why it cannot be repaired.

My laptop has bounced off a number of floors and driveways over the years, once from the roof of a Ford Explorer.

That's my concern also.

I got one of those programs today to recover data and giving It some thought, the fear of that list falling Into the wrong hands Is just not worth the risk and I may just swallow the loss and buy a new one myself.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Lap top Question...

Post by LarsMac »

So what actually happens when you try to turn it on?
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Lap top Question...

Post by Wandrin »

Did the repair shop tell you why it couldn't be fixed and what part was damaged? If it is only the screen and/or keyboard, there are ways to get at your data. If the motherboard is broken, that isn't generally fixable. Since the insurance company knows that a repair shop has looked at it, it should be possible to gently remove the drive and backup/clean the data before reinstalling it for the insurance company to evaluate.
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

LarsMac;1436351 wrote: So what actually happens when you try to turn it on?

It starts when I turn It on and the screen Is red. It goes black within seconds and doesn't give me enough time to remove the list stored or anything else.
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

Wandrin;1436354 wrote: Did the repair shop tell you why it couldn't be fixed and what part was damaged? If it is only the screen and/or keyboard, there are ways to get at your data. If the motherboard is broken, that isn't generally fixable. Since the insurance company knows that a repair shop has looked at it, it should be possible to gently remove the drive and backup/clean the data before reinstalling it for the insurance company to evaluate. Something to do with the LCD screen. The Motherboard Is fine.

I bought one of those programs today to get at my data.

Thanks
LarsMac

Lap top Question...

Post by LarsMac »

Cool. If it is just the LCD, then you can plug a secondary monitor in to work on the data
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

LarsMac;1436358 wrote: Cool. If it is just the LCD, then you can plug a secondary monitor in to work on the data

That's good news... Thanks
LarsMac

Lap top Question...

Post by LarsMac »

And most laptops can actually have the screen replaced.

My grandson changed his screen a while back.

And he is anything but technically or mechanically adept.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

Update...

Credit to Castle Cover Insurance company.

First of all, I was absolutely assured by extremely understanding staff that the sensitive material on my laptop would be safe. I was still unsure so they offered to remove the hard drive before they looked at It simply to put my mind at rest.

The good news was they could fix It and I got It back this morning with new LCD screen. Although I didn't ask for replacements, they also replaced the keyboard with new palm rest, bezzle screen and new mains socket. They have given me a 2 year warranty where they will replace with new If I have any further problems. The hard drive was given back to me In a sealed package.

That's damn good service !!!
Bryn Mawr

Lap top Question...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1441097 wrote: Update...

Credit to Castle Cover Insurance company.

First of all, I was absolutely assured by extremely understanding staff that the sensitive material on my laptop would be safe. I was still unsure so they offered to remove the hard drive before they looked at It simply to put my mind at rest.

The good news was they could fix It and I got It back this morning with new LCD screen. Although I didn't ask for replacements, they also replaced the keyboard with new palm rest, bezzle screen and new mains socket. They have given me a 2 year warranty where they will replace with new If I have any further problems. The hard drive was given back to me In a sealed package.

That's damn good service !!!

Very, I'm impressed
Oscar Namechange

Lap top Question...

Bryn Mawr;1441108 wrote: Very, I'm impressed

It was also a bonus to actually be able to talk to a real person at the other end of the phone to discuss my fears. Something I find Infuriating with larger companies.
Youlthad

Lap top Question...

Post by Youlthad »

Remove it manually.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”