Will work for food.

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

Will work for food.

Post by Clint »

How much food should there be in the workplace? Office staff everywhere gets heavier and heavier. Who’s to blame? Should they just have the willpower to say “no”? Should the employer have the responsibility to limit food to what each individual brings for lunch and their break? Some offices have so much food around it could be judged that they are dangerous to the health of employees. Could the employer be sued if an employee has a heart attack due to too much junk food in the work place? They could be if they exposed their employees to too much second hand smoke or lead paint...why not too much food?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Lon

Will work for food.

Post by Lon »

Interesting subject. When I was a GM in the 80's, I would not allow food, snacks, beverages etc. to be left out or in sight after the ee's lunch period.

We had a fridge, sink, microwave etc., but every thing was cleaned up and put away after lunch and eating while working was a no no.
minks

Will work for food.

Post by minks »

Lon wrote: Interesting subject. When I was a GM in the 80's, I would not allow food, snacks, beverages etc. to be left out or in sight after the ee's lunch period.

We had a fridge, sink, microwave etc., but every thing was cleaned up and put away after lunch and eating while working was a no no.

Tough call when medical professionals are suggesting 6 small meals a day are better for people. Hmmmmm I am guilty of having food at my desk ahahaha mostly crackers and soy nuts but hey if I am hungry I snack. (looks at back side to see if there has been an increase) ahahahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bez

Will work for food.

Post by Bez »

I had a look around at work today. We have 2 areas...the Factory floor and the Admin area (upstairs)

The admin people have different 'rules' to the shop floor. They work a 37 hr week with 1 hour lunch break...no t-breaks but allowed to drink and eat snacks at their desks. They have a vending machine with chocolate bars and crisps and a coffee machine.

The shopfloor are not allowed to have any food or drink around except sports bottles of water. However, they work 39 hrs. have 2 x 15 min t-breaks during the day and half hour for dinner. These breaks have to be taken in our staff restaraunt. This has vending machines for coffee etc, chocolate and sweets and cold drinks..cola etc...

The choice of 'breakfast' and lunch is mostly fattening stuff...sausage rolls, bacon sandwiches etc. and lunch time is a variety of curries, chinese, roast dinners, fish and chips, burgers etc. There is a salad bar and basket of fruit for the healthy eaters...not too many of them! Everyone under 21 seems to eat CHIPS.

I quite often take my own food because they put mustard and mayo etc in the sandwiches...like my food unadulterated.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Nomad

Will work for food.

Post by Nomad »

Lon wrote: Interesting subject. When I was a GM in the 80's, I would not allow food, snacks, beverages etc. to be left out or in sight after the ee's lunch period.

Twinkie nazi !
I AM AWESOME MAN
cars

Will work for food.

Post by cars »

Thats funny, everytime I travel to NYC, there is the same Intersection I have to make a stop at every time. And every time standing there on the center divider section between the Intersections, is a desheveled looking man holding up a cardboard sign the reads:

Will Work for Food!

(Of course he accepts the "donations" that people just give him, without his having to "work for it") I guess no one ever put him to the test of really working for it, because whenever passing "his corner", he's always there, not gone out working somewhere. :-2
Cars :)
chonsigirl

Will work for food.

Post by chonsigirl »

I keep a mini 'frig in my classroom, for my lunch, and about a dozen diet cokes on hand. I don't eat in front of the kids, that would be mean. But a diet coke between classes, hey, that's common sense! You need caffeine somehow!
Valerie100

Will work for food.

Post by Valerie100 »

I say no, the employer shouldn't be sued if someone has an heart attack, because of too much food and junk in the office. No one is opening your mouth(s) and forcing the food into you! It's your own personal choice. You don't have to eat all the stuff that's around. I say no to food at the office all of the time -- but then again, I'm on Weight Watchers.
chonsigirl

Will work for food.

Post by chonsigirl »

Eat what you want, when you want! Will work for food anytime!

Return to “Work Employment”