The Dependent Class

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

The Dependent Class

Post by Clint »

I hired a 29 year old from our congregation who is financially strapped to help me split some fire wood. I was going to help him anyway so thought it would be best if he was able to do some work for the money since he is unemployed.

I was shocked. He didn’t have a clue as to what to do. I patiently showed him how to use a splitting maul over and over again. By the end of the day I couldn’t wait to get him home. I had done most of the work.

I discovered that he came from a welfare family. He has never had the example set for him and no one in his family bothered to show him how to work. It was a real eye opener. I guess I didn’t realize how dependent our dependent class is.

The topper was when I was taking him home. He said; “I think the reason you were able to split so much more wood than me is that you were swinging the splitter harder. That’s why you are so much more tired than me too…I felt like I needed to conserve my energy.” :yh_sweat

I'm twice his age and I've been having some health problems. :-5
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Lon

The Dependent Class

Post by Lon »

I discovered that he came from a welfare family. He has never had the example set for him and no one in his family bothered to show him how to work. It was a real eye opener. I guess I didn’t realize how dependent our dependent class is.

:-5

Splitting wood using a maul is a matter of technique isn't it Clint. I wouldn't equate that with not knowing how to work. I grew up not knowing the names of basic tools----common & Phillips Head screwdrivers, socket wrenches etc.
Clint

The Dependent Class

Post by Clint »

Lon wrote: Splitting wood using a maul is a matter of technique isn't it Clint. I wouldn't equate that with not knowing how to work. I grew up not knowing the names of basic tools----common & Phillips Head screwdrivers, socket wrenches etc.
Good point Lon, there is a lot of technique to it but it went beyond that. He didn't know to stack what was split. He didn't realize the stack had to be straight to stand. He was actually holding back the energy necessary to split the wood so he would have enough energy to get through the day without getting too tired.

I talked to him about getting into the job market. He said he really didn't know if he actually wanted to work. Why work... his parents got by just fine without working.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Lon

The Dependent Class

Post by Lon »

Clint wrote:

I talked to him about getting into the job market. He said he really didn't know if he actually wanted to work. Why work... his parents got by just fine without working.
Ah--------that's a bit different. No real work ethic then.

BTW---Happy Rosh Hashana
Clint

The Dependent Class

Post by Clint »

Lon wrote: BTW---Happy Rosh Hashana

Thank you Lon. We had a great celebration service last night. We have some guys who give you goose bumps when the blow the shofar.
actionfigurestepho

The Dependent Class

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Physical labor is a bit of a lost art. I personally do not know how to split wood. But I bet that if you showed me, I'd be able to figure it out. Some people don't like to LEARN, either. My generation makes me sad.
Clint

The Dependent Class

Post by Clint »

It was an encouraging day. I decided to give him another chance. We had had a quite a conversation yesterday and I wanted to see if it had done any good. The very first thing I noticed was that he had shaved…I had talked to him yesterday about not being presentable to a potential employer. He worked hard all day. His ability to split wood improved as the day went on and I could tell he wasn’t holding back. I could see that he felt much better about himself at the end of the day. Overall, I didn’t get what I could have from and experienced laborer but I got the satisfaction of seeing him start to take interest in himself and that was worth it all.
BTS

The Dependent Class

Post by BTS »

Clint wrote: It was an encouraging day. I decided to give him another chance. We had had a quite a conversation yesterday and I wanted to see if it had done any good. The very first thing I noticed was that he had shaved…I had talked to him yesterday about not being presentable to a potential employer. He worked hard all day. His ability to split wood improved as the day went on and I could tell he wasn’t holding back. I could see that he felt much better about himself at the end of the day. Overall, I didn’t get what I could have from and experienced laborer but I got the satisfaction of seeing him start to take interest in himself and that was worth it all.

Great subject Clint.............

I think you should be commended for having him back to see if what you talked about the day before struck any cords.

I learned years ago that some of the best workers I ever had (I had a construction business for about 13 yrs) did not cut the mustard the first day or so. In the beginning I would fire them right then and there. Soon I saw a few of the ones I let go REALLY doing a GREAT job for another contractor..... HMM I said, how can that be?

I learned that some of the slow learners that have the grit to stick er out and learn, can become your most faithful employee, but the guy who kicks butt the first few days is a good worker for about the first 4-6 months then gone........and you are lucky if he shows up on Monday after you paid him on Friday.

Maybe you broke a chain.......... I hope so.....
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
BTS

The Dependent Class

Post by BTS »

Oh one more thing on the choppin wood subject..............

When I was about 7 or 8 I got a whoopin for playing with the axe......

About 6 months later I got a beating for not chopping the wood........ SHEESH
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Clint

The Dependent Class

Post by Clint »

BTS wrote: Oh one more thing on the choppin wood subject..............

When I was about 7 or 8 I got a whoopin for playing with the axe......

About 6 months later I got a beating for not chopping the wood........ SHEESH
That sounds real familiar. I was putting up firewood when I was 13...I got a slow start.

Return to “Work Employment”