Any ideas?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Clint, my fingers are crossed for you.
LottomagicZ4941

Any ideas?

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

That remainds me of one time when I drove 5 hours for an interview just to be told taht residency was required.

I told them I would relocate if I got the job.

Why they called me for an interview if I wasn't elligable in the first place?

Oh well at least it was a nice road trip.

Lotto

Hates interviews

MagicZ4941A
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

I love it when you drive a long distance, stay over night and pay your own expenses only to discover they were required to interview more than one, even though they already had an insider selected.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: Thanks for asking Bez. I had a good interview and a disaster last week. The good interview was for the job I really want. I got a call a little earlier today regarding the job I want. It looks like I may be their pick. I have another meeting with them next Tuesday. I'll be sitting on the edge of my chair for a week now.:wah:

Sounds promising Clint....all those interviews and meetings though...prolongs the agony doesn't it ? :yh_shamrk Good luck !!

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
randall

Any ideas?

Post by randall »

:-6

randall all at sea again, 'evening all,

At the end of a month's leave I received a telephone call to go Aberdeen/Dyce Airport on Wednesday morning and pick up my ticket for the first flight to rejoin my ship in Rotterdam.

On Tuesday afternoon I received a telephone call telling me not to go to the airport tomorrow morning - no explanation.?

On Friday late afternoon I received a telephone telling me that the ship's owners had gone bankrupt.

I called the master I had been with to see if he was at home. He had just arrived home on leave and knew nothing about the bankruptcy.

They way of the modern world - baffling.

Yet they call it PROGRESS!

God Bless.

randall

:confused:
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Good Lord Randall....what a mess...hope you find out the truth sooner rather than later....there's nothing like uncertainty to make your life 'wobble' a bit.

all the best...
randall

Any ideas?

Post by randall »

:-6

Good Afternoon All,

It alright Bez, I should have said it was a few years ago but it has actually happened in reverse with my nephew today.

He is either on oil boats and at other times on oil rigs.

He telephoned yesterday saying that he was supposed to go to a rig today but it had been cancelled and he would come and see us instead.

An hour ago he telephoned me to say he was on the train bound for Dundee as he had suddenly been "called up" by his agency.

He is in his forties - when I started it - and has been for more than a decade but now he wants out of that uncertain world of dealing with ship/rig agents.

That's why I called it progress - because it is apparently getting worse with introduction of HSE.

He spent two hours writing up a study of a job that was GOING to be done and how they would go about it. When he handed it in he was told almost off handedly , "Oh, the jobs been cancelled a while ago."

It is nice to have him visit now and again because we both speak the same language and know that we do no need to exaggerate anything - the truth is almost too much to bear at times.

Now the HSE are trying to stop the doctors from developing better MRI Scanners as ".. they might be a danger to the health of those who operate them...."

The Doctor who invented MRI was furious on the TV News the other day and as he said, quite rightly, I think, the onus is on the HSE to prove that it is dangerous to health before making rules and then trying to make real life fit them.

Believe it or not but I have childhood books which, in the 1930's, told you how to build your own X-ray machine and how to take photographs of the bones of your fingers. The materials were readily available at a very reasonable price - well, the weekly wage was only £2-00.!

There is a very common held belief onboard ships and on the oil rig and platforms of the North Sea that there has been many more accidents since the creation of the HSE than before.

At my first lecture in the "Blackpool & Fylde College" for my HSE certificate the lecturer said That (a) he was glad he was teaching us and not the other way around. & (b) if the old large shipping companies had remained extant there would have been no need of the HSE because they had health and safety built into their very structure of their training and operations.

God bless.

randal.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Hi Randall, I agree totally with your views on the Health and Safety Executive. I have been in the construction industry for 23 years and on most big projects now you will find more office workers than construction workers, all of them shuffling pieces of paper to each other so as to justify their existance, they have become "inventors" of hazzards and problems

Totally agree with all you've said...product of our 'litigation' society I guess.

I see they've banned kids playing with conkers...I see the HSE lurking there don't you ?
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: Thanks for asking Bez. I had a good interview and a disaster last week. The good interview was for the job I really want. I got a call a little earlier today regarding the job I want. It looks like I may be their pick. I have another meeting with them next Tuesday. I'll be sitting on the edge of my chair for a week now.:wah:

Any news on this job Clint ???

I just picked up on an older thread where you did a 'job profile'..... have you thought any more about the 'writing' career...guess it depends on income etc. Maybe it's something you could do part time. Like ACC, you have a way with words that makes every one of your posts a MUST to read....

Good luck with whatever you pursue.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: Any news on this job Clint ???

I just picked up on an older thread where you did a 'job profile'..... have you thought any more about the 'writing' career...guess it depends on income etc. Maybe it's something you could do part time. Like ACC, you have a way with words that makes every one of your posts a MUST to read....

Good luck with whatever you pursue.

I'm still on the edge of my chair. The next interview isn't until Tuesday.

Thank you for the encouragement regarding writing. "Like ACC" is quite a complement.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

I interviewed again yesterday. It's between me and one other. I will be notified of the choice early next week. The interview lasted an hour. That's a good sign but that's the only indicator I was able to see. I have mixed emotions about these interviews. Reaching the point of being a finalist for a job like this is encouraging but the competition is always strong.

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: Integrity should count for something. If they pick the 'best' man for job, it should be a done deal. :-4 I'm feeling good about this one, clint
You are great. Thank you.:-6
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Job interviewing has to be the number-one reason people go into business for themselves. At least if you fail at business, you know it's due to your own screw-up. :-5
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: Job interviewing has to be the number-one reason people go into business for themselves. At least if you fail at business, you know it's due to your own screw-up. :-5
I see you share my frustration.:D
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

I have interviewed 6 young people for Assembly Operators jobs this week...normally I find this a frustating experience as they don't seem to have any coaching at school and perform badly at interviews. The parents don't seem to have instilled any 'work ethic' in them either. This weeks interviewees have been a delight and I'm pleased to say that every one was successful. The interviews I conduct are obviously quite low key compared to the interviews that Clint has been going through due to the nature of the jobs involved, but I thought I would share the fact that my faith in youngsters has been restored this week. :-6
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: I have interviewed 6 young people for Assembly Operators jobs this week...normally I find this a frustating experience as they don't seem to have any coaching at school and perform badly at interviews. The parents don't seem to have instilled any 'work ethic' in them either. This weeks interviewees have been a delight and I'm pleased to say that every one was successful. The interviews I conduct are obviously quite low key compared to the interviews that Clint has been going through due to the nature of the jobs involved, but I thought I would share the fact that my faith in youngsters has been restored this week. :-6
Thanks for an encouraging report. There are still a lot of good young people entering the work force. To have six show up in a row is very good news.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

At last, I finished #1. I expect an offer tomorrow or the first of next week.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Wonderful News......I am so pleased for you Clint.

Good luck for the future xxx
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: At last, I finished #1. I expect an offer tomorrow or the first of next week.
Early Congrats, Clint! *touching wood*
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

UPDATE:

I just got a call. I have a meeting on Monday morning with the man I'm hoping will be my new boss. After that meeting (scheduled for an hour) I'll be meeting his boss. This looks like a real good opportunity for them to hire me.:D
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I wish you the very best of luck Clint. I hope you are successful
Thank you.
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: UPDATE:

I just got a call. I have a meeting on Monday morning with the man I'm hoping will be my new boss. After that meeting (scheduled for an hour) I'll be meeting his boss. This looks like a real good opportunity for them to hire me.:D
Can I borrow ten bucks? :D

Really, Clint. I'm hoping this is it for you. I'm also hoping it's a good enough fit that you don't have to find yourself on this side of the employment curtain.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: UPDATE:

I'll be keeping everything crossed on Monday for you Clint.....It's been quite a marathon ...we want to hear everything about this new job. .....:yh_shamrk
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: Can I borrow ten bucks? :D

Really, Clint. I'm hoping this is it for you. I'm also hoping it's a good enough fit that you don't have to find yourself on this side of the employment curtain.

Ten bucks? Ya think I'm rich or something?:wah:

I'm looking forward to hearing your good news. That Cat job sounds exciting.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: Wow! Great news Clint!

Love to stay and chat but looks like i need to get out and start pickin corn, eh? :D ;)
That brings back memories. Harvest is hard work but there is something special about working outdoors at this time of the year.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: I'll be keeping everything crossed on Monday for you Clint.....It's been quite a marathon ...we want to hear everything about this new job. .....:yh_shamrk
Thanks Bez. Ten months with no work at all. Eighteen months since I've had a real job. I'm going to have to hold on to this one. It's clear that I'm getting to old for the job market.

Return to “Work Employment”