Any ideas?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

I apparently applied for a job months ago. I keep records of all the jobs I apply for. I can remember thinking about applying for a job that I don’t have any written record of.

Yesterday they called me, wanting me to interview. I stuttered and stammered (way too much) because I actually couldn’t remember what position I had applied for… I couldn’t even remember applying. They pressed me to decide if I wanted to accept their invitation to interview so I accepted. I asked a few questions that I thought might give me a clue as to what position I was interviewing for but they never said. :o

I need to figure out what position it is before I get there on the 12th for the interview.

The job is with a city.

How do I find out what position it is without letting them know that I don’t know?:confused:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
lady cop

Any ideas?

Post by lady cop »

can you check with the city for jobs that are open /posted? then think about the ones you were likely to have applied for? something will jog your memory i'm sure!
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

lady cop wrote: can you check with the city for jobs that are open /posted? then think about the ones you were likely to have applied for? something will jog your memory i'm sure!

Thanks, I tried that yesterday and they don't have anything I might have applied for posted. I even tried the archives in their local news...nothing.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
lady cop

Any ideas?

Post by lady cop »

well when you get to the interview you better start right out asking for a job description! :-3
chrisb84uk

Any ideas?

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hmm sounds like a real sticky situation that Clint!!! Only a long shot, but maybe you told a friend or relative about it, and they might be able to refresh your memory.

Good luck!!!
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: Wait, is this a second job interview? LMAO You go boy!

Call whoever contacted you -tuesday morning, and ask them if they would mind sending you a copy of the job description, so that you can be fully prepared to answer any questions and supply any additional information they may have.

Hey sweetie -if you get one of these, could you run by with your truck before you start at the job and help me do some fall cleaning...:sneaky:

That is what I will do. Thank You!!!

I'll be right over with the pickup.:wah:
actionfigurestepho

Any ideas?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Oh poor boy, I've done this so I know exactly what it feels like!

Did you apply online by email? Check all your sent folders!

Or I would go to the company website and see if they have any positions availabe. Or you could call HR pretending to be someone completely different and ask what positions they are hiring for.
Dizz

Any ideas?

Post by Dizz »

I'm thinking that maybe somebody passed on your application from somewhere else and that is why you have no record of it. Wouldn't that be nice? I agree with asking for a copy of the job description, also coming clean (it might be too late now) is a good idea. Just say that you have applied at several places and would he remind you of the job title you are applying for. Good luck!
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Go with Flop's advice. If it weren't a city job, I might think they'd sought you out. I got similar phone calls for commission-only entrepeneurial stuff.

I have no problem telling people apologetically that I can't seem to find my copy of the announcement. I'd rather be thought of as an up-front clutz than get caught in a lie
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: Go with Flop's advice. If it weren't a city job, I might think they'd sought you out. I got similar phone calls for commission-only entrepeneurial stuff.

I have no problem telling people apologetically that I can't seem to find my copy of the announcement. I'd rather be thought of as an up-front clutz than get caught in a lie
Do you see asking for a job desription rather than asking what the position is, as dishonest? Please explain.
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Knock 'em Dead, a jobhunting guidebook, recommends always asking for a job description prior to the interview. It shows you have a real interest in the job and want to make a good impression.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

flopstock wrote: Wait, is this a second job interview? LMAO You go boy!

Call whoever contacted you -tuesday morning, and ask them if they would mind sending you a copy of the job description, so that you can be fully prepared to answer any questions and supply any additional information they may have.

Hey sweetie -if you get one of these, could you run by with your truck before you start at the job and help me do some fall cleaning...:sneaky:

Hi...this is exactly what I would do.....tell them that you would lke to prepare for the interview and that you would like to know what info. you need bring with you. You might get a few clues from their reply....as already stated, if the worst happens tell them the truth....Good luck whatever happens..
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Thank you all for your ideas.

I called and talked to the person who called me last weak. My plan was to just ask for a job description but once I was on the phone with her, doing that made me feel sneaky:sneaky: . I just told her what had happened and asked for a copy of the job description and budget. She told me the interview is for the City Administrator position. It's a beautiful city and I'm getting excited about the possibility.

Thanks again.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: Thank you all for your ideas.

I called and talked to the person who called me last weak. My plan was to just ask for a job description but once I was on the phone with her, doing that made me feel sneaky:sneaky: . I just told her what had happened and asked for a copy of the job description and budget. She told me the interview is for the City Administrator position. It's a beautiful city and I'm getting excited about the possibility.

Thanks again.

That's great...Honesty's the best policy eh ?

Sounds like a good job...when's the interview ?

Which city by the way ?
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: That's great...Honesty's the best policy eh ?

Sounds like a good job...when's the interview ?

Which city by the way ?

The interview is on the 12th. I think I should stay mum on the name of the City for now. :lips:

City Administrator jobs can be either very good or the next best thing to hell. Many Cities go through administrators at the rate of one every 18 months or so. Others have the same administrator for 20 years. Communities have personalities and you have to read the personality the best you can before you make your decision.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Clint,

You didnt say whether you remembered your application (once you were reminded)

I have visions of you sighing "Oh yeah, that " to the person on the phone. :D
Nope. I still don't remember. The jobs I apply for typically take anywere from 2-20 pages of response to questions about management style and a long list of other things. I keep those responses and use them for future reference if nothing else. I didn't do anything like that in this case. It's pretty strange.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: The interview is on the 12th. I think I should stay mum on the name of the City for now. :lips:

City Administrator jobs can be either very good or the next best thing to hell. Many Cities go through administrators at the rate of one every 18 months or so. Others have the same administrator for 20 years. Communities have personalities and you have to read the personality the best you can before you make your decision.

Sounds really challenging...
DadinIowa

Any ideas?

Post by DadinIowa »

devise a diabloical plan to hold the city for ransom. if the local hero doesn't show up, that's your job.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: So long as it's not N.O. honey -I'm excited for you.

And for some reason, I'm having a hard time picturing you being sneaky clint...:wah: How else were you thinking of asking for the info...see if you could buy a vowel or spin?:D

Thanks. Sneaky isn't my style.

I was going to call and without letting them know that I didn't know, have them send me a job description. It wouldn't have been dishonest...it just felt sneaky once I started talking to their HR person.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

DadinIowa wrote: devise a diabloical plan to hold the city for ransom. if the local hero doesn't show up, that's your job.
I'll tell them I know all the hidden secrets in their budget. If they don't hire me I'll tell the press. I would only have to fear the possibility that the local hero is a CPA.:sneaky: :wah:
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

Fingers crossed for ya, Clint!
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: The interview is on the 12th. I think I should stay mum on the name of the City for now. :lips:

We'll all shower you with good luck wishes on the 11th. Sunday...so many that you won't fail to get the job.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Thank you all. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers..... I have an interview for another postion on the 14th wich I think would be my preference. It probably wouldn't result in us having to move. hint, hint.:)
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

The very best of luck for your interviews this week...let us know how you get on...

Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: The very best of luck for your interviews this week...let us know how you get on...

Thank you, Ill do that.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

I had a very "interesting" interview in the city I told you all about today. I'm afraid however, that the process was fatally flawed.

As you may recall I received a call from them a little over a week ago inviting me to interview. I didn't remember ever applying there but accepted the invitation anyway. I don't have the luxury of turning down interviews anymore. I asked them to send me a job description and they did. It arrived in the mail Saturday and I didn't see it until yesterday. The description was for a part time position. That didn't seem right so I went for the interview anyway.

I arrived there after a three hour drive early so I could learn something about the City before the interview. I had been having difficulty finding any information on line. It is a beautiful place with a little over 4,000 residents and growing rapidly. I also arrived 10-15 minutes early for the interview itself, which was scheduled for 4:00 p.m., and let them know I was there. After a while the City Clerk came out and said they didn't know if the Mayor would be on time or not but they would start without him if he was late. The Mayor was late so the interview began without him, just the Police Chief, City Clerk and myself.

They began asking some prepared questions and I was wondering how this was going to work considering City Administrators report to the Mayor and the people interviewing me would report to me should I be selected. The Mayor showed up about 15 minutes late. He had apparently been to the doctor. The interview continued with the Mayor taking his turn at asking questions.

All in all, I think things were going pretty well until they asked me if I had questions. Among other things, I asked about the job description mentioning it was a part time position. The Clerk said it must have been a very old description because they were looking for a full time interim. Until then I didn't know it was an interim position. I said that would work and asked if they had ever done a position announcement or anything that said what the salary range is. They said that, "I would have to discuss that with with an executive search firm I had worked with about a year ago". I said, "----------? Is --------- in this process somehow?" They looked at me with shocked looks and said, "Yes, you were referred by them". The Mayor then began shuffling through the papers he had and asked me if I had ever worked overseas. I said, "no". He asked me a couple of other questions to which I also replied, "no".

The Mayor announced that the resume for the person they thought they were interviewing was not mine. He said he didn't have a resume for me. I supplied them with a resume and we began to try to figure out what was going on. The Mayor said all he had was my cover letter. I said I didn't recall sending them a cover letter and asked to see what he had. He showed me the e-mail I sent to search firm back in April telling them I was available again. It had been copied with a sticky note in the middle of it, which made it only partially legible. That's the only information they had on me.

The interview was abruptly over and I began the drive back home, embarrassed and bewildered.

I'm guessing that I won't be hearing from them regarding employment.

:wah: :-5 :o Maybe it was just a weird dream.
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

:yh_doh

Clint, practice this line: "Well, isn't that lucky that they screwed up, because I'm definitely a better fit than that guy!"

It'll get a laugh and boot the unknown competition right out the window.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

They could certainly use my help.:wah:
actionfigurestepho

Any ideas?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

At least it was their fault, right?
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

It was your cover letter that got their attention, right? Go get 'em!
Accountable

Any ideas?

Post by Accountable »

It's now a tradition in this thread to end all questions with right, right?
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

actionfigurestepho wrote: At least it was their fault, right?

You are right.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: It was your cover letter that got their attention, right? Go get 'em!
Yes, my cover letter...right.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

flopstock wrote: have you considered what a lucky escape you've had here?

and fortunately it's not the one we REALLY want, right?;)
It wasn't the one I wanted. You are right.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: It's now a tradition in this thread to end all questions with right, right?
It's a great tradition, right?
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: It wasn't the one I wanted. You are right.

What's next on the job front then Clint ? What happened at the interview you had after the 'interview from hell' on Monday ?

We are all rooting for you get the job that you feel is right.

Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Bez wrote: What's next on the job front then Clint ? What happened at the interview you had after the 'interview from hell' on Monday ?

We are all rooting for you get the job that you feel is right.

Thanks for asking. I really enjoyed the interview yesterday. I thought it went well. It was all about leadership and management philosophy and what my experience is in those areas. It was a panel of four people and I connected well with them. We did a lot of laughing and the atmosphere was open and honest. There is another interview in the process and I’m hoping to be asked back. I would really like to have the position.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: Thanks for asking. I really enjoyed the interview yesterday. I thought it went well. It was all about leadership and management philosophy and what my experience is in those areas. It was a panel of four people and I connected well with them. We did a lot of laughing and the atmosphere was open and honest. There is another interview in the process and I’m hoping to be asked back. I would really like to have the position.

That's great Clint. I do a lot of interviewing and inductions for shop floor staff. The best part is putting them at ease and seeing them relax....I sometines have a small pot of sweets to dip into and at the inductions, we always go for a coffee and take some time to get to know each other in a less formal atmosphere.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed....don't forget to let us know how you're getting on.
randall

Any ideas?

Post by randall »

:-6

randall again,

I have never had a pleasant interview in my life.

From the start it was indoctrinated into us that Chief Engineers were up there just about level with GOD.

Second engineers were at their footstools.

The Board of Trade was GOD'S FATHER or GRANDFATHER and somewhere above the clouds.

There was great trepidation throughout the ship whenever any of their inspectors came on board.

The fact that in our examinations there was absolutely no syllabus for their orals, which were the final exam, and often went on for three hours.

They could literally ask you about anything on earth and you could not complain - there was definitely no court of appeal.

It would have been far simpler - as I learned ten years or so too late, to go to university. There when you passed a subject you kept it.

B of T exams were split up into groups of subjects or four or five and if you failed in one subject you had to sit ALL of the subjects again.

At least the exams were split into "A" and "B" and if you got your "A" you knew you would not have to sit that again and could concentrate on the "B".

The examiners who gave you the oral exams were the same men who had marked your written papers and knew intimately your weakest points and, just like a boxer concentrating on a cut eye, they concentrated on those until you broke.

This is all changed and the oral examiners never see your written work - I am told.

Being a severe allergic to all and sundry and asthmatic to boot I WOULD take on a severe case on the day of my first orals (this was my Second Engnineer Orals - the Chief Engineers' exam was but a distant dream!

I soaked many handkerchiefs in the forenoon, doing written work, and at lunchtime went to Woolworths and bought another dozen for the afternoon which I knew was going to be the orals examination.

I sneezed, spluttered - nose streaming steadily - until I had used all the new ones too. Something like one and a half dozen in all.

This, of course dehydrates one to a very high degree. There was nothing to drink.

There were not such drugs as antihistamines in those days and they could only relieve an asthmatic attack with an injection of andrenalin. A LAST RESORT NOWADAYS!

Now they will not let you join the merchant navy if you ARE ashtmatic and having spent over forty years in it, I feel, they are wasting a lot of talent.

Finally I gave up the battle and whispered through swollen lips under a streaming nose and watery eyes.

"There's no use you asking me any more questions because I don't have any more answers."

"In that case you had better just leave." I obeyed.

I wandered falteringly out of the room. Miserable.

I would have to go through it all again and it had taken me five attempts to get this far.

I was the only one in the whole class of about twenty to pass.

Your description of an interview shows a more enlightened and civilised age.

Perhaps it does pay to be honest in the worst of times.

God bless.

randall
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Randall....i have not been interviewed for a job fo donkeys years. I have been with the same company for nearly 30 years starting as a lowly outworker and working my way up to production manager. I am not THAT far off from retiring so I have been 'encouraged ' to diversify and I have set up shopfloor training systems, conduct interviews etc. I am a bit of a 'people person' and to my mind we spend a HUGE part of our lives at work, and I take it on myself to make sure that people are cared for. We have about 150 people in our production areas and i know all there names. The age goup is 17 to 60 and we have several nationalities. I do enjoy it but my main love is production work...i love the buzz and challenge.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

randall wrote: :-6

randall again,

I have never had a pleasant interview in my life.

Whew, thats some tough duty. I'm glad we are past that stuff.

You caused me to think of a promotion board I had to physically sit before one time. Three officers. This one Commander had obviously been designated "bad cop". His questions were tough and he never cracked a smile (almost).

He asked me what my weakness was. I don't know why I did it to this day but I answered, "peanut butter sandwiches". He glared back at me and said, "with or without pickles?". I said, "pickles are good". After a brief attemt to remain sober, we all began laughing at the same time.

I came out number one on the list.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

Clint wrote: Whew, thats some tough duty. I'm glad we are past that stuff.

You caused me to think of a promotion board I had to physically sit before one time. Three officers. This one Commander had obviously been designated "bad cop". His questions were tough and he never cracked a smile (almost).

He asked me what my weakness was. I don't know why I did it to this day but I answered, "peanut butter sandwiches". He glared back at me and said, with or without pickles?". I said, "pickles are good". After a brief attemt to remain sober, we all began laughing at the same time.

I came out number one on the list.

That's just a lovely story...luv it.
Bez

Any ideas?

Post by Bez »

What's the latest on the job front Clint? Any news ?

Someone I used to work with rang up and tokd me about a job that was going where he worked. He said i was the best Production manafer he'd ever worked with and the job was challenging etc etc...I can't tell you how good it made me feel...however with only a year to go to retire I doubt if I'll pursue it...made me feel good though.
Clint

Any ideas?

Post by Clint »

Thanks for asking Bez. I had a good interview and a disaster last week. The good interview was for the job I really want. I got a call a little earlier today regarding the job I want. It looks like I may be their pick. I have another meeting with them next Tuesday. I'll be sitting on the edge of my chair for a week now.:wah:

Return to “Work Employment”