Am I good enough?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

As some of you know, I’m unemployed. I have worked in managerial and supervisory roles for over 30 years. I took a three year hiatus to be a full time pastor and I enjoyed it but too much of it conflicted with my beliefs. None of that seems to matter now. I’m not getting anywhere in my job search. To complicate things, I’ve just been diagnosed with Lupus and it has taken its toll on my eyes so my health isn’t one of my strong points.

Yesterday, I took one of those tests that tells you what kind of a career you are best suited for. It was pretty comprehensive and the results were a little surprising to me. After all these years of heavy lifting as a senior manager I find out that it isn’t really what I’m best suited for.

The results of the test were expressed by showing me the career fields are the best fit for me. The top three occupations were; Book Editor, Creative Writer and Writer/Author.

What should I do? Can I write well enough to pursue one of those occupations? I’m not that objective in my thinking.

I am asking those of you who are familiar with what I have posted here to give me your opinions. Many of you are excellent writers and I would value your opinion a lot. Tell it like it is.

Thank you.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
chonsigirl

Am I good enough?

Post by chonsigirl »

Write Clint, write!
capt_buzzard

Am I good enough?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Clint, what I know of about you. God, has opened another line for you. Just keep on what you are doing here.
theia

Am I good enough?

Post by theia »

Clint,

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

(Goethe)
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
capt_buzzard

Am I good enough?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Now I wonder what Jesus would have answered his disciples on that one Clint?
Accountable

Am I good enough?

Post by Accountable »

Writing leads to publishing leads to book signing leads to speaking. Are you sure it's so far off from what you've been doing?
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

Accountable wrote: Writing leads to publishing leads to book signing leads to speaking. Are you sure it's so far off from what you've been doing?
Good question.

I obviously don’t have experience signing books but I think I would like that kind of experience. Public speaking is something I enjoy.

I don’t like long boring City Council meetings where people pretend to be representing their constituents. I don’t like writing reports that are either not read or someone takes exception to because of their political agenda. I don’t like speaking to board members, council members and commissioners who are reading up on another subject while I’m talking, then ask impertinent and out of context questions. I don’t like getting fired just because my boss got fired.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of writing. :thinking:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

capt_buzzard wrote: Now I wonder what Jesus would have answered his disciples on that one Clint?
Oh Capt., excellent question. I know He would say I'm good enough just like he does about all of us. Thanks for the reminder. :yh_dance
Accountable

Am I good enough?

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: Good question.

I obviously don’t have experience signing books but I think I would like that kind of experience. Public speaking is something I enjoy.

I don’t like long boring City Council meetings where people pretend to be representing their constituents. I don’t like writing reports that are either not read or someone takes exception to because of their political agenda. I don’t like speaking to board members, council members and commissioners who are reading up on another subject while I’m talking, then ask impertinent and out of context questions. I don’t like getting fired just because my boss got fired.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of writing. :thinking:
You speak on what you write. If you really enjoy preaching, evangelize. Write, travel & speak on what strikes your heart.
minks

Am I good enough?

Post by minks »

Clint wrote: As some of you know, I’m unemployed. I have worked in managerial and supervisory roles for over 30 years. I took a three year hiatus to be a full time pastor and I enjoyed it but too much of it conflicted with my beliefs. None of that seems to matter now. I’m not getting anywhere in my job search. To complicate things, I’ve just been diagnosed with Lupus and it has taken its toll on my eyes so my health isn’t one of my strong points.

Yesterday, I took one of those tests that tells you what kind of a career you are best suited for. It was pretty comprehensive and the results were a little surprising to me. After all these years of heavy lifting as a senior manager I find out that it isn’t really what I’m best suited for.

The results of the test were expressed by showing me the career fields are the best fit for me. The top three occupations were; Book Editor, Creative Writer and Writer/Author.

What should I do? Can I write well enough to pursue one of those occupations? I’m not that objective in my thinking.

I am asking those of you who are familiar with what I have posted here to give me your opinions. Many of you are excellent writers and I would value your opinion a lot. Tell it like it is.

Thank you.

Clint... nothing ventured nothing gained, go for writing you never know what might happen. The worst is a few rejection notices, but it does not mean you are not good. Keep at it, keep your chin up and things will happen. BTW sorry to hear about your Lupus diagnosis. My aunt has had it for years.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
kmhowe72

Am I good enough?

Post by kmhowe72 »

Could you please pray for my daughter who has scollioses curveture of the spine 38 degrees. She is only 19 months old. Her name is Amber
kmhowe
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

kmhowe72 wrote: Could you please pray for my daughter who has scollioses curveture of the spine 38 degrees. She is only 19 months old. Her name is Amber

Yes. I can only speak for myself here, and I will pray for Amber. I think I would be safe in saying that others will pray for her too.
BTS

Am I good enough?

Post by BTS »

Clint,

I have done quite a few things in my varied past.

I started out cowpunching when I got out of high school then got a chance to learn the construction trade. Eventually going into my own business doing complete (drywall, elect., paint, concrete, drafting, framing and landscaping etc...) custom remodels and insurance claims in a small valley of CA. I did this for over 14 years, then sold it after I burned out on the long hours and being undercut by the illegal immigrants that pilfered into the area.

I had a chance to start up a ice cream franchise delivering to stores throughout northern NM. I lived in Sante Fe NM. It was really great, but my grandmother became really sick and I moved back home to be nearer and help her after 1.5 yrs. of running business.

After that I went to work for 3 years as a I&E Tech. at a geothermal power plant out in the Mojave desert. I loved that job but was one of the last ones in the door and when they had had layoffs I was cut.

Moved my family to South Carolina to be nearer my ailing mother and started out working for a lighting service doing ball fields, indoor arenas, soccer fields. We also did upgraded parking/security lighting for KFC's, Pizza Huts, Burger Kings and Pepsi bottling plants all over the south for Pepsico.

I did this for almost 2 years but tired of all the travel

Then I started my plant maintenance career for COLTEC (they use to make the Colt guns and the Holly carburetor) before they were bought out by BF Goodrich Aerospace.

Was quite a challenge. We did heat treating of power turbine blades for GE's huge power generators.

Then my wife of 26 years decided we were not meant for each other anymore and I moved to Utah..... (My sis and other family lived there)

I landed a job driving a truck for Schneider national (the big orange trucks).

It was just about the only thing going. The winter Olympics had just got over and work was like a vacuum. NADA ZILCH... There was just no work in my field(s) lol.

sheesh you would think that would be enough different jobs for one dummy.........EH?

But no, I moved back out to New Mexico and married NV...... Where I am now a Superintendent for one of the largest home builders in Albuquerque NM..............

I would not change a thing about all the bends and curves I have taken to get to where I am now.......

For I am not broke......... just BADLY bent...

Jesus reminded us that faithfulness in the little things will open wider avenues of service. To those men who had faithfully invested their five talents and two talents as he wished them to, the master of the household said, “Well done, good and faithfulservant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”84 The way to be used of God to our greatest capacity, and to enjoy the assurance that he will keep us in the center of his will, is to be steadfast and dependable in what he has given us to do. Keep doing what you are doing, and do it well until new guidance comes.

With that said, I know you have many talents you can use. I have seen your witt and wisdom and just know you do Clint....

Also I have a great idea for your first novel I have been trying to pedal,:wah:

It involves terrorism and a US schoolbus full of children.........

Just holler I will give you whatever I can.

HHHang in there dood you will overcome

Your friend

Robert
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
mominiowa

Am I good enough?

Post by mominiowa »

Your posts are well written and I look forward to reading them...Sometimes job changes make our lives more complete...Write~ Write~ and when the time comes for you to know your lupus inside and out - write about it and speak about it.....I was just at a small seminar about health questions..and one of the biggest concerns were the doctors never have time to speak out on illnesses.......You have pizazz and commitment in what you write - I know you could speak it also....But your post...AM I GOOD ENOUGH?? - You are only as good as you want to be...and you are a brilliant writer:-4 ...Good Luck..I will be praying for you...as for some reason I have found my way back to where I too need to be....:-6

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
LottomagicZ4941

Am I good enough?

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

My pastor said that Martin Luther said that lack of faith was his biggest sin.

My youth pastor said the best definition of sin is anything that seperates us from God.

You are not good enough. It is only by the Grace of God that any of us are saved.

You are good enough!!! You were created in the image of God!!!!

Satan likes to deceive us into thinking we are both better then we are and worse then we are!!!!

Lotto

http://com4.runboard.com/blifetheuniver ... ainchat.t7

MagicZ4941A

PS should we spam for Jesus?

PPS The PS can be sang to the tune of Iron Maiden's Can I play with Madness:)
kmhowe72

Am I good enough?

Post by kmhowe72 »

for some people faith is very hard . But it says in the bible that even if you faith as small as a muster seed. Well you know the rest.:-6
kmhowe
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

Thank you all for your kind and helpful words. You are wonderful people. I’m getting things ordered in my life so I can finish a book I started 15 years ago. My perspective has changed and some of what I think should be in the book has changed since then so it will almost be like starting over. I’ve already got some short stories being considered for publication. I’m going to give it a go.

I guess my original post did sound like I’m a little short on faith. I’m going to keep working on it. I must admit I have been weak in that department lately.

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to help me out.
Accountable

Am I good enough?

Post by Accountable »

So ... we all get free autographed copies ... right? :p
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

Good Idea. I'll make a copy of this thread.

Off to the eye doctor. Have a great morning. :-6
lady cop

Am I good enough?

Post by lady cop »

Clint it's part of my business to "read" people....you are a fine and decent and intelligent man who can do whatever you decide to do, and do it well. i have no doubt of that. :)
Valerie100

Am I good enough?

Post by Valerie100 »

Clint, I would look for work doing what you know, keep sending those resumes out. I would also, however, look into becoming a writer if that's where your heart is.

Long Ridge Writers Group has a very good writing course. I've looked into them, myself. They ask you to take a test to see if you have writing aptitude. They only accept something like 1/3 of the people applying to them. I passed the test and was accepted, but haven't pursued anything with it yet. Their rates are reasonable. You're taught by an experienced professional writer. The site is listed below:

http://www.longridgewritersgroup.com/

Good luck! :-6
Clint

Am I good enough?

Post by Clint »

Valerie100 wrote: Clint, I would look for work doing what you know, keep sending those resumes out. I would also, however, look into becoming a writer if that's where your heart is.

Long Ridge Writers Group has a very good writing course. I've looked into them, myself. They ask you to take a test to see if you have writing aptitude. They only accept something like 1/3 of the people applying to them. I passed the test and was accepted, but haven't pursued anything with it yet. Their rates are reasonable. You're taught by an experienced professional writer. The site is listed below:

http://www.longridgewritersgroup.com/

Good luck! :-6
Thank you.

I briefly checked the link and it looks good.
Lon

Am I good enough?

Post by Lon »

Your profile shows that you have been married for 34 years. This would put your age somewhere in the 50's. Though you are not interested in pursuing a career for the money, let me ask the question---------do you need to work for economic reasons? If not, certainly pursue your desire to write. If you need to work to support yourself and wife---------take a day job and write on the side. You write and express yourself well Clint, but so do many people. Getting anything published is not so much a matter of writing well as it is having a message, theme, plot that others will wish to read. I wish you well with your pursuits.

Oh---------I don't get the connection between being a Senior Manager and heavy lifting

Return to “Work Employment”