How much $ should I ask for??

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I just interviewed for a job, made it to the next (and final, I think) level. The problem: I haven't a clue how much to ask for! Yeah I know, everyone should be burdened with such problems.

The job requires the skills I have, but I don't have specific experience in this particular industry or job.

Here's the scope:

* Position title is Project Manager

* It's a nationwide benefits company. They contract out all of their claims to one company. I will be the onsite rep for the benefits company.

* Benefits company is in New Jersey. Claims company is here in San Antonio TX

* My job will be to liaison between the benefits & claims companies, and make sure the claims company holds up their end of the contract.

* I will work out of a home office.

* I have had no claims experience, lots of contract enforcement experience.

I'm trying to leave as many details out as possible, but if you need more, tell me.

So ... any suggestions on a ballpark figure I should toss out there when the question comes?
abbey

Post by abbey »

Just tell them you're worth a million dollars,

and do they mind you visiting FG while working.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Thanks. You think they'll make me wear a tie in my home office?

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I couldn't find any category that this job fits very well. that's why I'm asking here.

And I'll buy you lunch with my last dime, sweetheart. :-6
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'm not sure about what to ask for in San Antonio, it is probably higher than NM, but I would say $50,000. minimum - probably closer to $75,000. You could also tell them it's negotiable.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

nvalleyvee wrote: I'm not sure about what to ask for in San Antonio, it is probably higher than NM, but I would say $50,000. minimum - probably closer to $75,000. You could also tell them it's negotiable.
Thanks. Not sure how NM & TX balance, wage-wise. Life was so much easier in the military when Uncle Sam said "you get what you get. Now get to work!" :wah:
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

The wages are much higher in the metropolitan cities of TX than NM. I think we still rank in the bottom 5% of the country. :-5
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Jives

Post by Jives »

I'm with Nvall, 45,000 to 50,000 sounds about right to me. Let's see, I'm a teacher with corporate and military experience, three college degrees (AS, BS, BS) including two engineering degrees...and I make 36,000 and live around the poverty level.

So 50K sounds about right.

:-5
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Jives wrote: I'm with Nvall, 45,000 to 50,000 sounds about right to me. Let's see, I'm a teacher with corporate and military experience, three college degrees (AS, BS, BS) including two engineering degrees...and I make 36,000 and live around the poverty level.

So 50K sounds about right.

:-5
That's the ballpark I usually shop around. I just thought the autonomy and the home office might jack the price up some.

BTW, I have corporate & military experience, 3 AS's a BA & an MA. Some say that's why I'm unemployed. :wah:
Clint

Post by Clint »

When I made it to the final interview stage last, I was up against three other candidates who all had experience and their MPA. I don’t have the MPA. I still finished in second place. I felt pretty good about being a finalist considering the status of my formal education. If I had been in the Mayor’s shoes, I would have hired the guy that got the job based on his experience.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a living by coming in second all the time.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clint wrote: When I made it to the final interview stage last, I was up against three other candidates who all had experience and their MPA. I don’t have the MPA. I still finished in second place. I felt pretty good about being a finalist considering the status of my formal education. If I had been in the Mayor’s shoes, I would have hired the guy that got the job based on his experience.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a living by coming in second all the time.
LOL. Maybe check with Lance Armstrong's team mates? :D

Return to “Work Employment”