Just graduated and No Job Yet

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
starlight

Post by starlight »

I graduated from a community college on May 8, 2005 majoring in Administration with Medical Emphasis and at this point; I can't find a job that would help me out with the bills. I don't know what I am going to do nor do I want to borrow money from anyone because I don't want to owe anyone even though I do owe someone when it comes to bills. I have been looking everywhere especially when I don't have a car nor do I know how to drive. I am in a unique situation that I am partly ashame of and partly pissed about. I live in a town that is growing but not in job wise. The town is trying to grow into a city but taking it's time to do so. I can't go into the city because no money, no car, and no place to stay until I get a job and plus the city is more dangerous than this town. Employment seems to get harder when I graduated from college than it was when I graduated from high school. :-5 I just hope that things will turn out better in months to come. I am used to working in a factory which pays more than office jobs in this town. The more money you make; the more you can stand on your own two feet without asking for help to pay the bills.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

starlight wrote: I graduated from a community college on May 8, 2005 majoring in Administration with Medical Emphasis and at this point; I can't find a job that would help me out with the bills. I don't know what I am going to do nor do I want to borrow money from anyone because I don't want to owe anyone even though I do owe someone when it comes to bills. I have been looking everywhere especially when I don't have a car nor do I know how to drive. I am in a unique situation that I am partly ashame of and partly pissed about. I live in a town that is growing but not in job wise. The town is trying to grow into a city but taking it's time to do so. I can't go into the city because no money, no car, and no place to stay until I get a job and plus the city is more dangerous than this town. Employment seems to get harder when I graduated from college than it was when I graduated from high school. :-5 I just hope that things will turn out better in months to come. I am used to working in a factory which pays more than office jobs in this town. The more money you make; the more you can stand on your own two feet without asking for help to pay the bills.Factory work pays alot more here too. Some of the college students are taking up trades like their granddaddies used to do. Like Carpenters, Plumbers, Electicion and so on. A Trademan in Ireland is making 25 euro per hour and more on the weekends.
aflicki

Post by aflicki »

Hi Starlight.

Do you have a resume together that you feel comfortable with sending to people? Are you open to any type of job or only one in your field. A lot of graduates find that they have to take a job in a different field than what they wanted to do. What type of jobs do you want? There are opportunities, but you have to be aggressive and go after them. Is public transportation an option?
Jives

Post by Jives »

1. Get a job that you can work for right now, something like sales, retail, food service, security, etc.

2. Save a little money.

3. Continue looking for the job you are trained for while working at the above job.

4. When it comes along, quit your current job and move to a new one.

Did I just read that you have no car? What the...? I bought my own first car when I was 15 with money I saved from my afterschool high school job at McDonald's! Why don't you have a car?! :-2
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

Post by Jives »

(Jives rereads the origninal post)

Hmmm...look, there's no time like the present to learn to drive. You re NEVER tto old to learn. Start now, get a friend to teach you. Once you can drive, get the car!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

starlight I share your pain

I was grossly under employed when I graduated from College.

Teachers told me to relocate to TX.

I have relatives in TX and they would come here to CO if they could get good jobs here.

I actually had one friend with an Anthropology degree who had to leave his college experience off his resume' to get a job!!!!

He goes on digs for his vacations!!!

It is sad how sometimes a degree does not pay off.

But just keep plugging away and do your best.

Lotto

http://tinyurl.com/ac72l

MagicZ4941A
Lon

Post by Lon »

starlight wrote: I graduated from a community college on May 8, 2005 majoring in Administration with Medical Emphasis and at this point; I can't find a job that would help me out with the bills. I don't know what I am going to do nor do I want to borrow money from anyone because I don't want to owe anyone even though I do owe someone when it comes to bills. I have been looking everywhere especially when I don't have a car nor do I know how to drive. I am in a unique situation that I am partly ashame of and partly pissed about. I live in a town that is growing but not in job wise. The town is trying to grow into a city but taking it's time to do so. I can't go into the city because no money, no car, and no place to stay until I get a job and plus the city is more dangerous than this town. Employment seems to get harder when I graduated from college than it was when I graduated from high school. :-5 I just hope that things will turn out better in months to come. I am used to working in a factory which pays more than office jobs in this town. The more money you make; the more you can stand on your own two feet without asking for help to pay the bills.
1-Take any job

2-Force yourself to save some money (you can do it)

3-Pay off your bills

3-Learn to drive

4-Leave town for better employment
gmc

Post by gmc »

I graduated in the seventies and was unemployed for the better part of two years except for spells as casual labour on farms-I still hate the sight of calibrese and raspberries, evenbtually got a job labouring in a slate tile factory, did post grad business qualifications which didn't help either except I can now put meaningless strings of letters after my name.

I have about 130 rejection letters you know we are looking for people with more experience etc I used to right becak and ask how you can get experience if you can't get a job in the first place. eventually got a job as a management trainee in asda now walmart, liked the job hated the hours but after so long looking I had to view it as a steppig stone to something better-actually after a whiole I realised anything was better but that's another story.

I would second Lon

Get any kind of job you can so at least you don't have money worries and you don't come across as desperate.

Remember you are interviewing tham as well-do you want to work there what are the prospects.

If you can do get some help with interview technique. Public speaking groups area good bet usually cheap to join in and you never know what it can lead to. (bear in mind I am not american so ignore anything I say which doesn't apply)

When you hear people complaining about those who can't be bothered getting a job try not to hit them as a criminal record for assault won't help matters

If you fail an interview for a job you really wanted phone the interviewer up and ask where you went wrong and what they would suggest-what do you have to lose?

Learn to drive-don't know about the US but there are always casual driving jobs around in the UK.

Don't hang out with those who are unemployed and have given up they just bring you down.

If you can't alter the environment you are in get another one
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: I graduated in the seventies and was unemployed for the better part of two years except for spells as casual labour on farms-I still hate the sight of calibrese and raspberries, evenbtually got a job labouring in a slate tile factory, did post grad business qualifications which didn't help either except I can now put meaningless strings of letters after my name.

I have about 130 rejection letters you know we are looking for people with more experience etc I used to right becak and ask how you can get experience if you can't get a job in the first place. eventually got a job as a management trainee in asda now walmart, liked the job hated the hours but after so long looking I had to view it as a steppig stone to something better-actually after a whiole I realised anything was better but that's another story.

I would second Lon

Get any kind of job you can so at least you don't have money worries and you don't come across as desperate.

Remember you are interviewing tham as well-do you want to work there what are the prospects.

If you can do get some help with interview technique. Public speaking groups area good bet usually cheap to join in and you never know what it can lead to. (bear in mind I am not american so ignore anything I say which doesn't apply)

When you hear people complaining about those who can't be bothered getting a job try not to hit them as a criminal record for assault won't help matters

If you fail an interview for a job you really wanted phone the interviewer up and ask where you went wrong and what they would suggest-what do you have to lose?

Learn to drive-don't know about the US but there are always casual driving jobs around in the UK.

Don't hang out with those who are unemployed and have given up they just bring you down.

If you can't alter the environment you are in get another oneVery true words gmc
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

gmc wrote:

I would second Lon
Me too

gmc wrote: Get any kind of job you can so at least you don't have money worries and you don't come across as desperate.

Most things you have learned are called transferrable skills. Employers love flexible and willing employees. Do you have good study skills? That takes time management and organization. Study or make presentations with groups? That's called teamwork, possibly team leadership. Made good marks on your term papers or oral presentations? You have good communication skills. Simply receiving the diploma shows you follow through on commitments. Talk to your biggest fan (mom, girlfriend, room mate, not pets) and get them to brag on you. Most of those things they like about you will be plusses at work ... even keeping your room tidy. :D

gmc wrote: Remember you are interviewing tham as well-do you want to work there what are the prospects.

www.toastmasters.org for public speaking. I've been a member since'96 and it has changed my life. Also read Knock 'em Dead 2005 for job hunting tips.

gmc wrote: When you hear people complaining about those who can't be bothered getting a job try not to hit them as a criminal record for assault won't help matters

That's what we're hear for. :-5 :wah:
Tan

Post by Tan »

I'm sure things will look up for you Starlight. You do have to start at the bottom (I know what thats like). I'ts only been a short period of time. Be patient, just don't forget your goals! Everyone in the forum has given you excellent advice.

;)
Tan
tibsie

Post by tibsie »

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I graduated with an Electronic Engineering degree two years ago and since then I have only had about 5 months of employment dotted around factory and clerical work. I feel as if my degree is worthless. I have had the whole experience thing and it is very frustrating.

I have started my own website hosting business and that is growing nicely but it is still not at the level that would let me do it full time (I would love that, no commute) so I still rely on temp jobs for the government for money. I also get a bit of cash building computers and solving people's computer problems.

My advice is to find something that you know how to do well and try and get people to pay you for it. :D

---------------------------

Cheap Website Hosting and Domain Names

www.toms-hosting.com
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I did not work much in the field I got my college degree. I did find the degree opened doors for promotion that required a degree - it didn't matter what line of study the degree was. Hang in there people. A college degree is never a waste of time but you may not see the payoff right away. My degree was 25 years ago and is helping me to semi-retirement today as a substitute teacher.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

nvalleyvee wrote: I did not work much in the field I got my college degree. I did find the degree opened doors for promotion that required a degree - it didn't matter what line of study the degree was. Hang in there people. A college degree is never a waste of time but you may not see the payoff right away. My degree was 25 years ago and is helping me to semi-retirement today as a substitute teacher.
The lovely lady speaks truth! A bachelor's degree teaches you a little about many things. A masters teaches you a lot about few things.

The main purpose for college is to teach you to think. Linear thinking in mathematics can be applied to verbal skills. It's called logical reasoning. Get it? You know how to think of many different approaches to a given situation. That is invaluable to an employer if you can maintain the skill (as so many don't). Apply that myriadic thinking to your job hunting.

What skills do you have? how many jobs can they apply to? If you take the time to list them, you will find one piece of paper is not enough.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I actually had an employer tell me that he required someone who could stick to the task until completion. He felt anyone with a college degree could do that. :wah:
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Work Employment”