Websites?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

I am considering doing a website for the buisness I own. I know I may be the last buisness owner on earth without one. I was wondering a few things.

1. What does it entail to design, maintain etc etc with a website?

2. How does one go about getting started?

3. How do you market your website to ensure hits?

4. To have someone design, what are the costs?

I will probably have more questions as I think of them.

To anyone who responds I appreciate it.

My buisness is an Engine rebuilding, installations, and auto and truck repair.
Chezzie

Websites?

Post by Chezzie »

Maybe learning how to spell website and business might be a start...heh heh only kidding...Do you have any clue as to how to set up a website?
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

Chezzie;764296 wrote: Maybe learning how to spell website and business might be a start...heh heh only kidding...Do you have any clue as to how to set up a website?
Oh crap I didn't even notice.:wah:

Thats what you get when your typing and answering phone calls at the same time..:wah:
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

rjwould;764299 wrote: I can't help you with the website thing, YZGI, but I hope you can help me!:) I have a purge valve that I want to install into a 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS and I can't find where it goes...Can you help me out? I'm selling the car after I get the damn check engine light out....
When my guys get back from lunch I will ask one of them. I am not a mechanic, I did do about 25 years in the rebuild, machine shop so I know engines front to back but am not a mechanic.
Sheryl

Websites?

Post by Sheryl »

YZGI;764295 wrote: I am considering doing a website for the buisness I own. I know I may be the last buisness owner on earth without one. I was wondering a few things.

1. What does it entail to design, maintain etc etc with a website?

2. How does one go about getting started?

3. How do you market your website to ensure hits?

4. To have someone design, what are the costs?

I will probably have more questions as I think of them.

To anyone who responds I appreciate it.

My buisness is an Engine rebuilding, installations, and auto and truck repair.

Call the highschool and ask the computer teacher to recommend a student to help you design and get it going. The kids these days know alot, and probaly cheaper than a professional company.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

Sheryl;764302 wrote: Call the highschool and ask the computer teacher to recommend a student to help you design and get it going. The kids these days know alot, and probaly cheaper than a professional company.
Thats not a bad idea but what if it comes out looking Goth?
Sheryl

Websites?

Post by Sheryl »

I'm pretty sure if you work with the student, it will look how you want it to. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

rjwould;764307 wrote: I ran some shops for a large corporation for a few years in the 80's..Thanks for the help!!!

Yours is obviously an independent shop, how long have you owned it?
Since 1988.

Our main focus is on installing remanufactured engines. I also sell a lot of engines over the counter and ship them all around the state to different shops. I have one company that buys them from me and ships them pretty much nationwide.
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

rjwould;764307 wrote: I ran some shops for a large corporation for a few years in the 80's..Thanks for the help!!!

Yours is obviously an independent shop, how long have you owned it?
Just to add to my last post. My dad started the buisness in 1969. My brother and me bought him out in 1988. I bought my brother out 3 1/2 years ago.
spot

Websites?

Post by spot »

Wisey, there's not enough information yet, you haven't answered the fundamentals.

Fundamental 1: Why do you want a website? That's the huge question, the rest are incidental.

Fundamental 2: Do you have a desire to learn about designing, maintaining etc etc a website (some people do, some don't) or are your questions related to minimising the cost?

1. What does it entail to design, maintain etc etc with a website? ANSWER: You have to come up with sufficient professional-quality sentences somehow to populate whatever pages you end up with. That's all there is to it. It's not easy and it involves you at least answering a lot of questions if not writing the sentences yourself.

2. How does one go about getting started?: ANSWER: Set a fixed budget. Start by assuming a one-off start up cost of anything at all, an annual maintenance cost of anything at all and an annual running cost of, say, $100 all in. Pretend it's your maximum offer for an eBay item labelled "Website" and that someone will offer to do it for less. How much would make you feel you'd got a good bargain for what you have in mind? Once you have that figure, you're started. Someone will do it for less than that.

3. How do you market your website to ensure hits? ANSWER: That's part of the annual running cost. You either learn how or you pay someone. How the person does it depends on the answer to Fundamental 1.

4. To have someone design, what are the costs? ANSWER: Do what I've already described before you try to answer this one. Then decide what you value your own time at. Assume it'll take you, say, ten hours to learn enough words to be able to produce a design of your own (I assume by design you mean a description of what you want, not a working website). Are you prepared to pay that much? If that's more than you want to part with, don't do it yourself, hire someone cheaper to talk you through agreeing a design, he'll already know the words.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Websites?

Post by YZGI »

spot;764326 wrote: Wisey, there's not enough information yet, you haven't answered the fundamentals.

Fundamental 1: Why do you want a website? That's the huge question, the rest are incidental. For possibly more outside engine sales.

Fundamental 2: Do you have a desire to learn about designing, maintaining etc etc a website (some people do, some don't) or are your questions related to minimising the cost? Yes I would be open to learning, I am not up to your comp skills but have a decent working knowledge of comps. Minimising costs is always part of my mindset, although I do consider costs to benefits.

1. What does it entail to design, maintain etc etc with a website? ANSWER: You have to come up with sufficient professional-quality sentences somehow to populate whatever pages you end up with. That's all there is to it. It's not easy and it involves you at least answering a lot of questions if not writing the sentences yourself.

2. How does one go about getting started?: ANSWER: Set a fixed budget. Start by assuming a one-off start up cost of anything at all, an annual maintenance cost of anything at all and an annual running cost of, say, $100 all in. Pretend it's your maximum offer for an eBay item labelled "Website" and that someone will offer to do it for less. How much would make you feel you'd got a good bargain for what you have in mind? Once you have that figure, you're started. Someone will do it for less than that. Thats the problem. I have no idea of the costs. I'm fairly certain I could do the maintenence but have no idea where to start on designing or startup. Also is there a monthy domain cost?

3. How do you market your website to ensure hits? ANSWER: That's part of the annual running cost. You either learn how or you pay someone. How the person does it depends on the answer to Fundamental 1.

4. To have someone design, what are the costs? ANSWER: Do what I've already described before you try to answer this one. Then decide what you value your own time at. Assume it'll take you, say, ten hours to learn enough words to be able to produce a design of your own (I assume by design you mean a description of what you want, not a working website). Are you prepared to pay that much? If that's more than you want to part with, don't do it yourself, hire someone cheaper to talk you through agreeing a design, he'll already know the words. This last one sounds like my best option.

Spot, if I were to e-mail or pm you more details on my company could you give me an idea what to expect on costs?
kayleneaussie

Websites?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Pity you dont live in Aussie.....my son just finished doing a website for his boss. You have to know what your doing and it entails a lot of hours so you would probably have to get someone to do it for you. The student ideas is a good one but get someone who knows what to do.....a professional will cost you.
FOC THREAD PART 1
gmc

Websites?

Post by gmc »

Is there not a local chamber of commerce that might be able to help? Or how about a small business federation or whatever the equivalent is? Have a good look at your rivals websites to see what you think is good. if you know them ask who did theirs.

Getting someone cheap might prove to be a false economy and you need someone that will maintain it properly for you.

I'm looking at websites myself but I'm a member of an organisation that will help me do it. It's sussing out whether the cost will result in additional business to make it worthwhile.

If it's reconditioned engines I would have thought you would get enquiries from all over the country.
G-man

Websites?

Post by G-man »

You'd be better off having somebody set it up for you and then doing the SEO and marketing work, as well. You might also consider having a designer maintaining it for you... making adjustments here and there and you only pay them when they make an adjustment, but they're ready to immediately implement it for you when you ask to have something tweaked or added. You should expect to pay $300 or so for a basic single webpage. Also, consider the website that you would want to represent your business, as this is going to be a reflection of your business.

It's one thing to just have any ol' site up there, but it requires a bit of work to stand out from millions of other websites. I've been designing and managing websites for years and none of them have ever taken off without plenty of prodding.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “Work Employment”