Older workers value

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

Is it true that older American workers are going to be valued again some day?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
LottomagicZ4941

Older workers value

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

My employer values them. When we first oppened up the facility (a youth corrections facility) hired a bunch of 20 something college graduates. Being 30 I was one of the older workers. Well the 20 somethings stressed out at the thought of doing 20 years in a jail. The state started to hire older workers and we have actually had training on the fact that there is lower turn over among older workers. Older workers also have less job related injuries because they take fewer risks.
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

LottomagicZ4941 wrote: My employer values them. When we first oppened up the facility (a youth corrections facility) hired a bunch of 20 something college graduates. Being 30 I was one of the older workers. Well the 20 somethings stressed out at the thought of doing 20 years in a jail. The state started to hire older workers and we have actually had training on the fact that there is lower turn over among older workers. Older workers also have less job related injuries because they take fewer risks.
That’s good news. However, I was actually thinking of the 50 plus people who are being set aside in favor of 30 year olds.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

Jack Sprat

It sounds like you have something that works well for you. I’m 57 but I’m not ready to go the part time route yet. I had a bit of a career upset a year ago and I’ve been having trouble getting back in because of my age. It seems people want the younger folks who might be with them for a long time, even though the average tenure is something like 5 years these days. I picked up a temporary position doing project management but the project is almost over and I’m wondering what’s next. I really don’t want to take a greeter’s job after being in senior positions for the past 20 years.
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

Jack Sprat wrote: What was your field?
Public Works Administration
A Karenina

Older workers value

Post by A Karenina »

Clint,

Do you enjoy the project you are now working on? Have you considered continuing this type of contractor work? So many companies are in dire need of an experienced individual to step in, to help them reorganize and streamline.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

A Karenina wrote: Clint,

Do you enjoy the project you are now working on? Have you considered continuing this type of contractor work? So many companies are in dire need of an experienced individual to step in, to help them reorganize and streamline.

Yes, I do enjoy the work, even though in this particular case my abilities are grossly underutilized. I would jump at an opportunity to feel the turbo-charger kick in again.

What you say is logical but I haven’t found it to be so yet. I’m going to have more time on my hands soon. That should give me an opportunity to search out the opportunity if it exists.

It just seems to me that this should be the time in my life when I have the most to offer. Reason tells me that people who want to work at my age and older should continue to gain value until they lose the desire to work. What I see happening is counterintuitive.
lady cop

Older workers value

Post by lady cop »

i am not a kid anymore, and still kicking butt when necessary. :D ... however, more importantly. i bring life-experience, compassion and maturity to my work...i don't have some macho thing to prove. i compell with my verbal skills and even humor. only get rough when i absolutely must. and my philosophy is to treat all the "clients" respectfully....until they disrespect me. i get very good results. heck , i've had people thank me for arresting them! :rolleyes: ... the young turks who come out of academy are full of testosterone and have a lot to learn. they want to thump somebody. so sometimes they get assigned to me to tone them down. i say yes, in my field older people are valued for their experience and mature outlook.
cars

Older workers value

Post by cars »

Clint wrote: Is it true that older American workers are going to be valued again some day?

I am curious as to where this notion came from? From what I have seen first-hand, (I'm an older working mgr in Engineering) most "Older" American workers are an unknown and sometimes unappreciated "asset" to their "younger" management. I have to go toe to toe with the younger management to try to get decient merrit raises for my older deserving workers. (Older workers that have a wealth of knowledge & experience) As younger management's sentiment is that the "older" worker is locked-in, and won't ever leave the Company. (Unfortunately, sad but true) Where as the younger worker is thought may leave for greener pastures, so they get the lions share of merrit increases, (& or pomotions) sometimes even when not necessarily deserving!

To make matters worse, eventually a great many of the younger workers leave anyway, for various reasons! Adding extra burdon onto the "Older" worker "still there"!

It's unfair, but that's the way it is in the Engineering Company I work for. :-5
Cars :)
CARLA

Older workers value

Post by CARLA »

CARS,

I agree. For us OLDER workers, changing jobs after a certain age is risky. You have the YOUNG PEOPLE going for the same jobs. I worked for 22 years at a Major Hospital here in San Diego as Director of Information Systems. I had an accident, was disabled for 10 years. I went back to work in 2000 at the SAN DIEGO CHAPTER OF THE ALZHEIMER'S ASSOCIATION. I was a volunteer for 10 year with the association. I setup their databases, donor base, program services software all as a volunteer. I also worked the Helpline, was a agent for the SAFE RETURN PROGRAM (that is now national), and worked with many families with loved ones with this DISEASE..!!. When the person who was hired to do what I was doing as a volunteer (young about 25), totally ran all components of the database into the ground. THEY HIRED ME...!! (I was 53 at the time).

I must say now, that I love what I do, but I also know I can't keep this pace up much longer. It truly is for younger people, there comes a time to pass it to them, and hope you trained them well. I don't want to be the one that thinks I'm still at the top of my game, when I'm not. There is a time to move on..!! Do something different..!! I thinking my next job will be as a volunteer again in a Day Care center for those with Alzheimer's, and work parttime at our STAIDUM during FOOTBALL SEASON..!! IT'S A BLOCK AWAY.. (PEANUT, BEER, GET IT HERE..!!)... I CAN DO THAT.. :wah:

Where as the younger worker is thought may leave for greener pastures, so they get the lions share of merrit increases, (& or pomotions) sometimes even when not absolutely deserving!

To make matters worse, eventually a great many of the younger workers leave anyway, for various reasons! Adding extra burdon onto the "Older" worker "still there"! It's unfair, but that's the way it is.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LottomagicZ4941

Older workers value

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I am not very old but newer workers have to be "peek performers" to get paid what I get paid. And the only person to make peek got fired shortly after.

If my employer can get rid of me he can get someone else for 1K less a month.
Clint

Older workers value

Post by Clint »

Well, it was last November when I started this tread. The temporary job I had is finished. The owner of the firm wanted to find a permanent position for me but he is experiencing an “adjustment period” and it will be a while, if it ever actually happens. It is extremely frustrating because I have always been a top performer (I can say that objectively) but it’s like I’ve become invisible.

I recently applied for a local job in my area of experience. It was one of those that I was sure I would at least get an interview for. I nailed the KSA questions but I didn’t even get a letter in response, yet I know they have their candidates.

I’m thinking about getting my real estate license. Maybe my experience and grey hair will be an asset there.

If you are young and reading this. Don’t play power politics when you are in your late 50s. Just become the meek and feeble old fogy they think you are. The gamble probably won’t be worth it.

Return to “Work Employment”