workplace harassment help

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
somethingtotry

Post by somethingtotry »

Hi there,

I am doing a project on workplace harassment in school and could really use some input. Background information: Jane is an employee at a hotel. A server in a lounge. She wrote the following letter because she is not sure what to do in regards to a specific incident.

Dear HR Manager:

I have not been at the hotel long enough to feel comfortable to approach management. My complaint is as follows: There is a supervisor, John, who has been asking me out for a date ever since I first started at the hotel. I clearly informed him that I was not interested in dating anyone from work. At first, he continued to ask me out, but I reminded him I would not date fellow employees. At the company xmas party I danced with lots of fellow employees including John. The day after the staff function, John asked me out again and told me by dancing with him I led him to believe I had change my opinion about dating fellow employees. I apologized to him and informed him that it was only 1 dance at a staff function and I did not mean to give him the wrong impression. He immediately stated that I was refuting him because of his ancestry. AT this point his actions went outside of work and he started to follow me home. John continuously called me at all hours of the day and night. John then gave me few hours and poorer shifts. John then stated that he was looking forward to the end of my probation so he could conduct an appraisal in my performance. I am frightened because of his actions an need some help as soon as possible, as I am lost. Sincerely, Jane

1) Identification of the issue(s): I know the first time he asked her out, was fine. After he continuously asked her, though she said no, that would be an issue. At the dance, her dancing with him, then him asking her out the next day, would be another issue, as it is repetitive once more. When he states that she refuted him because of his ancestry…I assume that is not an issue. As well, when his actions went outside work, and were not related to a work function, is that an issue? And with the fewer hours and shifts, I assume its an issue, but not sure. And his statement that he was looking forward to the end of probation, etc….I know I am only allowed to look at the facts, and not read between the lines, so I am to assume that this is not an issue then??? Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

Can I also be reached at somethingtotry@hotmail.com
Ge0rge

Post by Ge0rge »

somethingtotry wrote: Hi there,

I am doing a project on workplace harassment in school and could really use some input. Background information: Jane is an employee at a hotel. A server in a lounge. She wrote the following letter because she is not sure what to do in regards to a specific incident.

Dear HR Manager:

I have not been at the hotel long enough to feel comfortable to approach management. This would be an issue as an employee does not feel comfortable enough to approach her manager. This would depend on her character type or if the manager for whatever reason makes themself unaccessible

My complaint is as follows: There is a supervisor, John, who has been asking me out for a date ever since I first started at the hotel. I clearly informed him that I was not interested in dating anyone from work. At first, he continued to ask me out, but I reminded him I would not date fellow employees. This may vary depending on your location in the UK it would be harrasment

At the company xmas party I danced with lots of fellow employees including John. The day after the staff function, John asked me out again and told me by dancing with him I led him to believe I had change my opinion about dating fellow employees. I apologized to him and informed him that it was only 1 dance at a staff function and I did not mean to give him the wrong impression. She has done nothing wrong. Unfortunately xmas parties can be a nightmare for misunderstandings

He immediately stated that I was refuting him because of his ancestry. Unfortunately some people don't seem to understand 'no' however he is accusing her of racism and is part of an ongoing case of harrasment.

AT this point his actions went outside of work and he started to follow me home. John continuously called me at all hours of the day and night. At this point it has gone beyond workplace harrasment and is stalking. Again it depends on where she lives but many countries have stalking laws. However in the UK this would definately come under 'Gross Misconduct' which is a sackable offence.

John then gave me few hours and poorer shifts. Again this could be part of the harrasment as well as possibly breach of contract

John then stated that he was looking forward to the end of my probation so he could conduct an appraisal in my performance. Yes this is an issue. Considering the conduct to date this could be reasonably construed as a threat, and therefore harrasment

To this point I have deliberately not stated sexual harrasment. Mainly because I'm not sure if it would be considered this. Personally I would consider it so, as if it was a male employee assumedly he would not have done all this, but that is an opinion on my part.

A lot would depend where you live and local employment laws. However in most western countries I believe over all this together would be gross miscunduct and therefore a sackable offence.

I am frightened because of his actions an need some help as soon as possible, as I am lost. Sincerely, Jane

1) Identification of the issue(s): I know the first time he asked her out, was fine. After he continuously asked her, though she said no, that would be an issue. At the dance, her dancing with him, then him asking her out the next day, would be another issue, as it is repetitive once more. When he states that she refuted him because of his ancestry…I assume that is not an issue. As well, when his actions went outside work, and were not related to a work function, is that an issue? And with the fewer hours and shifts, I assume its an issue, but not sure. And his statement that he was looking forward to the end of probation, etc….I know I am only allowed to look at the facts, and not read between the lines, so I am to assume that this is not an issue then??? Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps
minks

Post by minks »

somethingtotry wrote: Hi there,

Dear HR Manager:

I have not been at the hotel long enough to feel comfortable to approach management. I THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE AS SHE IS BEING MADE TO FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE, AND GOOD EMPLOYER WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS OR SHOULD BE My complaint is as follows: There is a supervisor, John, who has been asking me out for a date ever since I first started at the hotel. I clearly informed him that I was not interested in dating anyone from work. At first, he continued to ask me out, but I reminded him I would not date fellow employees. At the company xmas party I danced with lots of fellow employees including John. The day after the staff function, John asked me out again and told me by dancing with him I led him to believe I had change my opinion about dating fellow employees. JOHN ISN'T LEAD TO BELIEVE SHE IS ALLOWING HIM TO APPROACH HER JOHN IS JUST BEING PRESUMPTIOUS AND DISALLOWING HER TO BE POLITE, JOHN IS ASSUMING FAR TO MUCH AND THIS MAKES JANE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH EVEN HER POLITENESS I apologized to him and informed him that it was only 1 dance at a staff function and I did not mean to give him the wrong impression. He immediately stated that I was refuting him because of his ancestry. IF SHE DID SAY SOMETHING ABOUT HIS ANCESTRY THEN JOHN MAY HAVE A CASE, BUT CLEARLY IN THIS WRITTEN PIECE THERE IS NOWHERE THAT STATES JANE HAS AN ISSUE WITH HIS ANCESTRY SO JOHN IS GRASPING AT STRAWS HERE BY WHAT WE SEE HERE. AT this point his actions went outside of work and he started to follow me home. JOHN HAS NOW REACHED STALKER STATUS AND THE POLICE NOW NEED TO BE BROUGHT IN HE IS IN THE WRONG AND IN IT FAR TO DEEP TO CALL IT OFFICE HARASSMENT ANYMORE. John continuously called me at all hours of the day and night. John then gave me few hours and poorer shifts. John then stated that he was looking forward to the end of my probation so he could conduct an appraisal in my performance. I am frightened because of his actions an need some help as soon as possible, as I am lost. Sincerely, Jane JOHNS ACTIONS AND STATMENTS NEED TO BE DOCUMENTED AND BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF HIS SUPERIOR AS HE (JOHN) IS OF THE MENTATLITY THAT HE CAN GET A WOMAN TO SLEEP WITH HIM IN ORDER TO KEEP HER JOB. JOHN IS CLEARLY IN THE WRONG, VERY WRONG.

IN CANADA THAT IS HOW WE WOULD SEE THAT SCENARIO. HARASSMENT IS A SERIOUS OFFENCE. hope that helped as well.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Work Employment”