How Much Can Employers Demand?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

BabyRider wrote: Why are you quoting Accountable and talking to me? Which of us are you directing your comments to?

And if you're asking if I have health care, then yes, my husband works for General Motors, I have the best health care out there.

post #41

as for your husbands insurance goes... as long as he has a job you do, should he become ill or layed of .......you have nothing.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

StupidCowboyTricks

Accountable wrote: I think it's your AV. She's seen my pic. :thinking: I will grudgingly admit a slight resemblance.

No, she asked the question in post #41

StupidCowboyTricks

Accountable wrote: Every individual adult is responsible to take care of him- or herself. One way to do that is to join the military, yes. There are hundreds of other ways as well, including working one's ass off as an entrepeneur, creating employment for others, and making enough money to take care of oneself. Another way is to bitch and moan that people who pinch pennies and take care of themselves also be made responsible for those who will not take care of themselves.

Those who can not take care of themselves are being shortchanged by the parasites who can but will not. I don't understand why your ire is not aimed at them.

Things have changed considerably in the past 27 years.....

My God we are the richest nation and we cant take care of our sick? Canada does, Ireland does Britain does, France does........they get about six week vacations, Senors get to go to holiday camps every so many years.....what happened to us?

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: post #41

as for your husbands insurance goes... as long as he has a job you do, should he become ill or layed of .......you have nothing.
Actually that's not quite true. He's been off on a medical for 2 months now and we're still fully covered.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

StupidCowboyTricks

BabyRider wrote: Actually that's not quite true. He's been off on a medical for 2 months now and we're still fully covered.

Geeze......:rolleyes:

I'm talking an extended medical dear, one where you eventually use all your sick time and they tell you adiós amigo

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: No, she asked the question in post #41
True, but my answer was funnier. :yh_tongue
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: Geeze......:rolleyes:

I'm talking an extended medical dear, one where you eventually use all your sick time and they tell you adiós amigo
I know what you're talking about, dear. And I'm telling you that it ain't so. How much sick time do you think he has? He's already been off 2 months. If that's not "extended" I don't know what is. They cover us and pay for the surgery he's going to have.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

StupidCowboyTricks

Accountable wrote: True, but my answer was funnier. :yh_tongue

Bird brain!

StupidCowboyTricks

BabyRider wrote: I know what you're talking about, dear. And I'm telling you that it ain't so. How much sick time do you think he has? He's already been off 2 months. If that's not "extended" I don't know what is. They cover us and pay for the surgery he's going to have.

Forget it! Chicky you are just too combative and it doesn't work good for sobriety.:guitarist mellow out!

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: Things have changed considerably in the past 27 years.....

My God we are the richest nation and we cant take care of our sick? Canada does, Ireland does Britain does, France does........they get about six week vacations, Senors get to go to holiday camps every so many years.....what happened to us?
Give a fish; teach to fish.

Who is to be responsible for all of this? The people who tried harder, got luckier, made better investments, and moved the economy forward?

We tried to take care of the poorest of the poor until they could take care of themselves. Too many took the money and were smart enough to figure out that sitting on their asses is relatively lucrative. I don't want to expand that.

I've seen it too often in the gov't and other corporations where unions have a strangle-hold. Mediocrity gets paid. Excellence is often ignored. Result: people stop being excellent. More people start qualifying for the lower rungs of the national healthcare, meaning it costs them less, meaning it costs the gov't (taxpayers) more. The mega-rich are untouched, as they always have been. The rich get bled to the point they wonder why they even try. ... Economy fails, healthcare fails, the United States becomes just like those European countries you so envy, stagnated by the parasites and reminiscing about the glory they once had.

No thank you.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: Forget it! Chicky you are just too combative and it doesn't work good for sobriety.:guitarist mellow out!
Combative? Good grief, I'm trying to explain something to you and you think I'm combative? Sheesh. :-5

Sorry it's too difficult for you to grasp, I'm thinkin' you're the one who needs to mellow out.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

StupidCowboyTricks

BabyRider wrote: Combative? Good grief, I'm trying to explain something to you and you think I'm combative? Sheesh. :-5

Sorry it's too difficult for you to grasp, I'm thinkin' you're the one who needs to mellow out.

cheers!

StupidCowboyTricks

Accountable wrote: Give a fish; teach to fish.

Who is to be responsible for all of this? The people who tried harder, got luckier, made better investments, and moved the economy forward?

We tried to take care of the poorest of the poor until they could take care of themselves. Too many took the money and were smart enough to figure out that sitting on their asses is relatively lucrative. I don't want to expand that.

I've seen it too often in the gov't and other corporations where unions have a strangle-hold. Mediocrity gets paid. Excellence is often ignored. Result: people stop being excellent. More people start qualifying for the lower rungs of the national healthcare, meaning it costs them less, meaning it costs the gov't (taxpayers) more. The mega-rich are untouched, as they always have been. The rich get bled to the point they wonder why they even try. ... Economy fails, healthcare fails, the United States becomes just like those European countries you so envy, stagnated by the parasites and reminiscing about the glory they once had.

No thank you.

They have been around a lot longer then us.:-3

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: They have been around a lot longer then us.:-3
Exactly my point. We need to study & observe and learn from their mistakes, otherwise we will go the same way.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I've been going on lots of interviews lately, and have 2 more this week. I've been told by several employment agencies that I'd need to do a drug test before going to work at any place. And I did already take one test. (urine test). I felt degraded.

On the other hand, I would not want to work next to a pothead or a crack smoking druggie.:-2
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Saffron wrote: I've been going on lots of interviews lately, and have 2 more this week. I've been told by several employment agencies that I'd need to do a drug test before going to work at any place. And I did already take one test. (urine test). I felt degraded.

On the other hand, I would not want to work next to a pothead or a crack smoking druggie.:-2
Degraded because you had to pee in a cup? :wah: In the military you have to position yourself so a monitor can watch. I've been a monitor. Not sure which is worse. :-3
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Saffron wrote: I've been going on lots of interviews lately, and have 2 more this week. I've been told by several employment agencies that I'd need to do a drug test before going to work at any place. And I did already take one test. (urine test). I felt degraded.

You wouldnt want to work next to someone who smoked pot ?

Why ?

Im not so sure there a lot of crack smoking druggies in the work force anyway.

There are probably a number of closet alcoholics though.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Wal-Mart's selling health insurance through Sam's Club now. Market forces keep the world afloat! :yh_party
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Nomad wrote: You wouldnt want to work next to someone who smoked pot ?

Why ?Just cannot stand druggies or alcoholics. They're the biggest liars and very much accident prone.Nomad wrote:

Im not so sure there a lot of crack smoking druggies in the work force anyway.

There are probably a number of closet alcoholics though.
Yeah, alcoholics and people smoking weed too. IT depends on the company you work for.

Speaking of working, I just was offered a job at a library. The pay is better than they originally offered. And it's part time, to work around my school schedule. I start Thursday. It's a medical college library. I found the job in the classified ads in the newspaper. I've never found a job that way....in the newpaper. I am soooo stoked!

Accountable wrote: Degraded because you had to pee in a cup?
Yeah!, degraded. I got another job though. But anyway, I had to sit in the waiting room of this clinic that has an account with the county of L.A. for it's drug and child protection thing. So there were a few people sitting there talking about just getting out of prison and a girl telling everyone who would listen that she just got her kids back from the State. I guess that was the bad part, having to be in the same room with these people and listen to their horrible life stories.

I may sound like a snob, but I try hard to live a clean lifestyle. Drugs and alcohol are a fast way to nowhere. My x-husband had a problem. I won't put up with it in my life. And I do not feel sorry for those people because they really do not want to get better, They'd rather live off the system. That is what I have to pay my taxes for, these losers to go and get their **** tests.:-5
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Okie

Post by Okie »

Accountable wrote: Other end of the spectrum from Wal-Mart:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can the Boss Insist on Healthy Habits?

Some Employers' Insistence on Healthy Living Raises Privacy Concerns

By RANDY DOTINGA

Jan. 18, 2006 — - A year ago, the Weyco medical benefits firm in Michigan made news nationwide by sacking employees who refused to try to quit smoking.

But that was just the beginning. Now, the company is working even harder to force its workers to take better care of themselves.

In 2006, Weyco employees who refuse to take mandated medical tests and physical examinations will see their monthly health insurance premiums jump by $65. By next year, their annual insurance bills will grow by more than $1,000 if they still fail to follow instructions.

"The cost of health care is frustrating everybody, and we believe at Weyco that we have to heal ourselves," says Howard Weyers, company president and founder. "We think it's vital."

But at what price? Should bosses like Weyers worry about whether workers are getting annual dental exams, eating healthy or jogging regularly? Or should employees have a basic right to live their personal lives without interference?

These questions are gaining resonance as more American companies try to convince employees to watch their health.

Story continues...

I do not feel employers have any right to tell you what you can do if you are not on the clock. However at my work place they had an agreement with us that we could not have a seocnd job or go to school without their ok. I think it was that people would tend to work less hard if they were tired from working two jobs. And you might get hurt on the other job and try to get to work and claim you got hurt there.

And we had an agreement we would do nothing to bring discredit on our company. Not sure what that meant unless it was making headlines for some crime?

But as far as physicla fitness, we tried to get the company to pay for us to belong to a gym. they would not. We tried to get them to buy some gym equipment. They would not. But they did have instructors come around to teach us about how to stretch before a job. And we had to stretch just after going on duty. All of us at first then the supervisors quit and just blue collars had to do that. And one supervisor did hurt his back from lifting a piece of equipment improperly and without stretching.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Okie wrote: I do not feel employers have any right to tell you what you can do if you are not on the clock. However at my work place they had an agreement with us that we could not have a seocnd job or go to school without their ok. I think it was that people would tend to work less hard if they were tired from working two jobs.
What!? You cannot go and get an education? I'd never work for a company like this. Who the hell do they think they are? What STate do you live in?:-5
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Saffron wrote: What!? You cannot go and get an education? I'd never work for a company like this. Who the hell do they think they are? What STate do you live in?:-5
I agree that's a bit of an old-school throwback, but that's the beauty of freedom. No one has to work there. If someone doesn't like the company's rules, they can find a job elsewhere. If they are so unimaginative as to be convinced that there is nowhere else to work, nothing prevents them from organizing and protesting.

YAAAAAYYYYY FREEDOM!
Okie

Post by Okie »

Saffron wrote: What!? You cannot go and get an education? I'd never work for a company like this. Who the hell do they think they are? What STate do you live in?:-5

Actually you could go to school if you took a leave of absence to do it and it was related to your work. And you could take a leave of absence to go into politics like lobbying if they felt it was good for the company. But you could not even own your own business outside of work. But some did.

As far as the drug testing, anyone who operates a locomotive even occasionally had to take a radom drug test now and then. For some strange reason even tho they claimed it was random, most of the time when a person got tested, then about one week later the same one got tested again. They had 0% tolerance for alchohol which might not seem bad unless you realize that they tested just as you first go on duty. So if you get up and rinse your mouth with Listerine you have a mouthful of alchohol. And 0% is very very low.

I do not like to be around druggies either. I have had several friends and aquaintenences who did drugs and pot too and some of those stole from friends. One of them stole from some of us and we went to his uncle and grandpa and they took him out to live on a farm so it was not easy for him to steal from us.

I had a friend at work who was really mad that druggies are considered handicapped because his mother lived in low rent housing apartment and the government paid for druggies to live next to her.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Okie wrote: Actually you could go to school if you took a leave of absence to do it and it was related to your work. And you could take a leave of absence to go into politics like lobbying if they felt it was good for the company. But you could not even own your own business outside of work. But some did.

As far as the drug testing, anyone who operates a locomotive even occasionally had to take a radom drug test now and then. For some strange reason even tho they claimed it was random, most of the time when a person got tested, then about one week later the same one got tested again. They had 0% tolerance for alchohol which might not seem bad unless you realize that they tested just as you first go on duty. So if you get up and rinse your mouth with Listerine you have a mouthful of alchohol. And 0% is very very low.

I do not like to be around druggies either. I have had several friends and aquaintenences who did drugs and pot too and some of those stole from friends. One of them stole from some of us and we went to his uncle and grandpa and they took him out to live on a farm so it was not easy for him to steal from us.

I had a friend at work who was really mad that druggies are considered handicapped because his mother lived in low rent housing apartment and the government paid for druggies to live next to her.

Yeah, they get all kinds of government money and stuff. I believe in unemployment, but the way the governement allows people to be lazy isn't right. (JMHO). I guess a druggie could be handicapped if all of the drugs they'd done fried their brains until they were like pickles. It's the same with alcoholics. It's now considered a "disease". I disagree with this totally. And I've been robbed by druggies too, but it was small stuff, nevertheless, they do like to steal. How pathetic.
Your Kitty Forum

My Website

Return to “Work Employment”