What do you do for a living ?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Bez

Post by Bez »

OK lads and lassies.... I know that we have some students here and some retired guys and gals. We also have some folk that are 'resting' betwen jobs.

What did you do for a living ?

What evening / weekend / holiday work do you do for pocket money (students)

Do you do more than one job ? ( I know some of you have several)

If you have done different jobs in the past, what were they ?

Me ?

Started as a hairdresser when I left school

Went to work in a factory just after i got married because the money was better (pharmacuticals)

Left to have kids

Did several poorly paid jobs at home....but one led me to where I work now.

So ...carried on with the homework for B&W Loudspeakers

Started part time for B&W when kids went to school

Went full time as kids grew up (also my mum came to live with me )

Moved from Operator to Supervisor

Up from Supervisor to Production Manager

Took on Additional role of Training manager .....

Still awake ????

I'm sure you guys have done some really interesting jobs.....we'd love to hear all about them.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I teach 7th grade social studies this year.

I also teach a college class in Western Civilization.

I also am the Music Director at my church, and oversee all the music in a congregation of 500.

At home, I am a full-time nurse for my husband, and mom to 2 college age kids still at home.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

not telling:p
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'm a blood-sucking parasite on the back of society. Guess what I do ?

I used to teach English to African PhD and MA university students in Kenya ; before that, I waitressed (badly) whilst doing English Lit degrees. I was the kind of waitress who, when asked for a glass of Southern Comfort, gave the customer a warm and friendly hug. :p

I look forward to winning the lottery, and sailing around the world on my yacht, staffed entirely by Colin Firth with no shirt on.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

truth is, before i was a cop, i was a registered nurse, then a trial court law librarian. then i did security for the biggest resort in the keys. and then busted shoplifters for walmart, jc penny and publix. i met so many cops in the zone they invited me to go to academy. i was much older than all the recruits, and it was hard, but i did it.
minks

Post by minks »

oooo Well, here is a novel....

After high school I jumped right into a manual drafting job (yep had to have letter perfect printing hours of practice) and I drafted maps and seismic lines.

Went for 1 year of college, general drafting and hated it. Jumped back into the drafting with an oil company. since then I have been in the oil and gas biz for over 20 years, still drafted, but worked up to topographical maps and seismic interpretation. Took time off for 2 kids, did a short stint in a bank, and a short sting in a book store and short stint in a car decal shop (loved it) . Out of dire necessity I worked as a recruitment agent and hated it, then back into the O& G field where I am currently. I work for a great company that builds battery packs for down hole well equipment as well as we develop electronic support products. I currently am the shipper/purchaser.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bez

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: not telling:p

SPOIL SPORT ! :D
Bez

Post by Bez »

tHIS IS SO INTERESTING...KNEW IT WOULD BE 'COS YOUR A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE...THANKS..:-6
booradley

Post by booradley »

I work for the n.h.s as a clinic co-ordinator which sounds better than it is. Before that, I always had part time jobs that fitted around my kids when they were small.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Left school and worked in an old peoples home for about three months! Couldn't stand the way people were treated and walked out. Went to work in an office for the fishing industry, did anything and everything there were only two of us in the office besides the boss and his manager so we shared, selling, invoicing, secretary, accounting, general dogsbodies etc etc!

Then went to work on the agricultural side of things at a Cornish Farming Co-operative, stayed there for ten years, doing a wide range of things secretarial, selling, dealing with grumpy farmers etc!

Had the children and now need to look for new work, haven't got a clue what to do, have brushed up on my word processing and accounting, but not sure I want to sit in an office all day!
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

hmmmm...

stablehand for 100 horses...

dishwasher in HS

4 years USN

15 years professional cheffing.. everything from pub grub to 4-star..

for the past 10 years.. creating newspaper article databases...

but

I am not a geek...... bwhahahahahahaha.....
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Started working at 13 as a waitress in a coney island. (Lied about my age)

From there worked at several boarding kennels till I was about 18.

Back to waitressing and learning bartending.

Vet tech and behaviorist for 5 years.

Back to bartending because the money is better and been doing that ever since.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

santa

Post by santa »

I give presents to good boys and girls all over the world........................
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Good grief, Arnold, that would be so cool........................
Bez

Post by Bez »

How Beautiful Arnie ... below is a picture of the Church where I was christened, confirmed and married. I sang in the choir there as well . It is a Saxon Church. My son is getting married there next June.
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I was born into farming. It is more of a way of life then earnig aliving. Truth is my Opa made more money from realestate then he ever did from farming. He wanted all of his sons to be able to farm. So he endevored to have a farm for each of them. One time he sold the same farm 3 times. He told the developer that the other developer couldn't get the aprovals. But having develper egos they thought they could get the developement pushed through.

My opa became a millionare. My dad was one of 4 who took up farming. The others went for the greener pastures of having an income. My dad cashed in on the realestate and has a nice home to show for it. He also gave each of his offspring 50K. All 4 four of us!!!!

When I was in high school I figured out I was making 10 cents more an hour then my dad. Well, I should have let my opa buy me a farm!!!!

I've been a farmer or should I say a farm hand. Never actually owned a frarm myself. I'm quite good at operating a corn cutter. I've even been paid $500 for three days worth of work operating a corn cutter.

When I asked my dad for a day off work once he told me to get a different job. I became a telemarketer. Which to a farm boy didn't seem like work:)

I've also done production work at Kodak until my writst got numb.

These days I like to market a lotto club. As well as a dating site. What better to sell then LOVE!!!

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/?sponsor=Z1212

MagicZ2121

PS if your looking for love check out

http://www.directmatches.com/default2.a ... magicZ4941
Bez

Post by Bez »

santa wrote: I give presents to good boys and girls all over the world........................

Glad you took a few minutes off to talk to us Santa....don't over do it now.;)
Bez

Post by Bez »

JAB wrote: Lessee, what have I done....

WireForm laborer

Bank Teller

Collections Rep

Cost Accountant

Billing Supv then Mgr

Cust Svc Supv then Mgr (fired employee threatened to kill me!)

Mktg Coord

Asst then District Mgr (for a certain LARGE tax prep company - this time it was a customer that threatened to kill me; nearly had a nervous breakdown!)

Exec Asst/Proj Coord

Exec Asst/HR starting in Jan

Wow jab...that's quite a list. Good luck with the job in January. I do quite a lot of HR stuff although my main job is Production Manager.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I'm just the dictator 3 days before Winter Break............................:-6
hoopyFrood

Post by hoopyFrood »

chonsigirl wrote: I'm just the dictator 3 days before Winter Break............................:-6

I write performance reports for a mobile phone retailer.

before that I wrote performance reports for a cable company

before that i wrote performance reports for brewery, ahh the brewery, such fond memories, especially the quarterly beer allowance :D

before and during that i lived/worked in a pub and occasionally attend lectures at uni
hoopyFrood

Post by hoopyFrood »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Have worked in construction since leaving the Armed Forces 26 years ago. I have been a construction Stonemason for 23 of those years but circumstances have forced me to dip into my savings as work has been a little slow over the past few months (work to start in the new year thank God ). Being self-employed the State isnt about to look after one of its own this side of never.

I am in the process of tendering for restoration work on my local church, the tower of which is 14th century. A 100 yard walk to work, and to a place like that, what could be better

that sounds so cool, and looks great,what a sense of achievment you would feel working in that
ELF

Post by ELF »

I work for the big guy in red...................

Elves Rule, Grinches Drool!
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'm semi-retired.......thank BTS for that
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
St Ives

Post by St Ives »

I have been in hospitality since I was 15 - lied about my age and worked in a cocktail bar in Singapore - loved it and been doing it ever since.

I left school in England went to work for the County Council :( so boring so did bar work in the evening both for the extra money and the fun of it.

Left to be a mom so did odd jobs around the children, mainly cleaning but did including working for a family who imported german wine plus local pub.

Went out to Australia on a work exchange and worked on a cruise boat on the Great Barrier Reef - best job in the world. Was a galley slave, dive instructors assistant and barman

Have gone through different training over the years so now called a Bar and Catering manager!! Not as grand as it sounds - means I work front of house mostly, I am not a good chef - no passion, my passion is people.

Last job I had was great, a 250 acre agricultural site, we were the in house caterers. We had 1 huge show a year, about 40 major shows, too many small shows to count plus parties, seminars, conferences etc etc

Every day was new, it was never boring, sometimes a little dull and I loved it all. It wasnt like going to work, it was going to play.

Now I work for a vet as his girl friday.

I will be looking for a real work now my visa here has been granted and am looking forward to it.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

my first job was in a hairdressers only lasted 3 days -slave labour then at 16 i worked as a dental nurse and left after 18 months because the boss was a wanker - i then worked as a barmaid i lied about my age an said i was 18 -when i was 18 me and my then boyfriend tried being livein managers of another pub- only lasted a year, really hard work it was an early house near smithfield meat market opening at 5am-we didnt last long a few more pubs later i then had my daughter so didnt work again until she was 4 i was lucky though i got a job at her nursury and i worked as a dinner helper then as a primary helper with the special needs kids for about 18 months for the local council. i had to leave because the job was advertised with out me even knowing so i then worked as youth worker at the local youth center - i then did a voluntary job called a lay visiter which was basically checking on prisoners in police stations did that for about 18 months then became a special constable for 3 1/2 years (voluntary) and now for about 7 years as a telephone operater ...im sure theres more just cant think of any
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Design Office Manager for a company building stagesets and Outdoor gig structures for a veritable galaxy of stars. It's a name-droppers paradise:guitarist

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Bez

Post by Bez »

If you haven't got a job at the moment or are looking for a change...how about trying one of these ?

Wrinkle Chaser

This is the person that irons wrinkles from shoes as they are being made to ensure they are perfectly smooth when you buy them.

Chicken Sexer

This is a real job title. A chicken sexer sorts through baby chicks to determine if they are male or female, and then segregate them.

Citrus Fruit Colorer

A Citrus Fruit Colorer, with the help of steam and chemicals, gives citrus fruit a more natural coloring, because fruit is usually picked before it is fully ripe.

Celluloid Trimmer

A Celluloid Trimmer shaves down a golf club and then adds celluloid bands onto the golf clubs to make the leather grip stay in place.

Odor Judgers

Want to smell armpits all day to help make effective deodorants? I'm not sure why somebody other than some strange fetishist would want this job.

Furniture Tester

Now here's a good one. The La-z-Boy Company (and probably others) employs furniture testers to check out their recliners. Want to relax for a living?

Cowpuncher

You can herd, castrate and brand cattle. Then, when you get bored castrating cattle, you can repair fences, watering troughs and do other maintenance work on the ranch.

Alligator Wrangler This is more of a dangerous job than a strange one, and probably not worth the pay, unless you get a T.V. show like the The Crocodile Hunter.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Her's a nice job. At least you're not on your feet all day

Attached files

Mookey1229

Post by Mookey1229 »

My first job was working in drive thru. I was probably the only person in town to get fired for not catching on. Then after high school went to beauty school and worked as a hairdresser for 15 years. After divorce opened a shop in my home so I could be home with kids. My back got bad, so I got a part time with an investment company doing marketing. Worked my way up to Senior Branch Administrator after 20 years then quit to take care of grandkids. This is the best job I have had. Besides that job my other job is to spend my husbands money. (hehe)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

If I tell you I will have to kill you..!! :D I do as little as possible and expect to be paid well for it..!! :-6 :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Dizz

Post by Dizz »

I work at a high school as a special ed aide. I help the kids learn life skills like washing dishes, clothes, baking, budget, etc.

Before that, I was a stay at home-mom and before THAT I was a secretary for a lumber company. :rolleyes:
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

:yh_rotfl
Bez

Post by Bez »

Uncle Kram wrote: Design Office Manager for a company building stagesets and Outdoor gig structures for a veritable galaxy of stars. It's a name-droppers paradise:guitarist

Come on then...name drop...I'm facinated !
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow Far, picking up felons in South America! Just like in the movies!:-4
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Bez wrote: Come on then...name drop...I'm facinated !
Bumped into a lot of famous people over the last 23 years and you'd think I was a bit up my own arse if I listed some of them. They're all just normal people like you and me, but sometimes a voice in your head keeps saying "Jeez, I'm with so-and-so and most of the people on the planet know who they are"

Return to “Work Employment”