Disc

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Anybody really familiar with D.I.S.C.? It's a way of categorizing people by personality. I've found a bit about it online, but I kinda need it dumbed down a bit. I need it for an upcoming interview & need to be able to converse with the terms if possible.

HELP!!
Bez

Disc

Post by Bez »

I've never used this ACC, athough we use every other 'flavour of the month ' gismo and programme going. I searched online but everything I saw (which wasn't much) had to be bought. I am SO sorry i can't help more. I am at work now, so I'll make some enquiries....there might be something similar around.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

Disc

Post by Bez »

I have made some enquiries and it appears that this not a system used in the UK (that I know of ). At B&W we use 'Belbin' system to identify strengths and weaknesses.....

www.belbin.com

I'll try and scan something from a book and post here...not sure it'll work though.
StupidCowboyTricks

Disc

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Accountable wrote: Anybody really familiar with D.I.S.C.? It's a way of categorizing people by personality. I've found a bit about it online, but I kinda need it dumbed down a bit. I need it for an upcoming interview & need to be able to converse with the terms if possible.

HELP!!
will you be taking this test in person? I had one over the phone which was timed.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

StupidCowboyTricks

Disc

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: will you be taking this test in person? I had one over the phone which was timed.

It was for "Gallop Polls" (a Fortune 500 company) before you filled out app. or sent resume you were to call a special number at a certain time and then you would get a code number for the test. The test was to take about an hour and you used the keys on the phone, a computer talked to you.... you had only seconds to respond to questions, you couldn't go back to change answers......it was a lot of repetitive questions.....One in particular bothered me. "If you saw a fellow employee steal something would you:

A. report it (can't remember exact answers)

B. talk to him

C. ignore it

d. ignore it until you saw it happen again

that's just an example......you had about 20 seconds.

Maybe later on there would be a question similar, I never took a test like that before.

Then you may never take it again because supposedly you never change your tipe........
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

I'm not taking the test yet. It's a trainer position and they use DISC extensively. It's part of their vocabulary and I want to be as comfortable with the terms as possible.
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

I went to www.understandingself.com and shelled out the $25 to take the test. It was the only site I could find that gave immediate results.

It confirms what a bloviating, self-absorbed, lazy bum I am. :o I'm a High I, for those that know the terms, and the report calls me a Promoter. It's a really interesting report. I recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

SCT, I think you had more of a Myers-Briggs test. This is completely different. There are 28 'questions' for lack of a better term. Each time you get 4 terms, mostly positive adjectives, and you have to choose one that best describes you and one that least describes you.
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Dear Rick:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to test and interview with HOLT CAT. As you know, the job selection process involves many factors - all aimed at properly matching our needs with the qualifications of prospective candidates.

The personnel requirements of HOLT CAT are continually changing as our companies grow. With that in mind, let me note that, although you were not selected for employment at this time, we will keep your application on file for future reference.

Good luck with your career search.

Sincerely,

~~ [smilie=5,2,11] ~~
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl wrote: They were pushing the Myers-Briggs thingie at work, creating "Team Building" groups, etc. I showed up as waaaaaaaaaaaaaay introverted, according to the results.:o
Yeh, it's weird. Everybody in sales comes up as low energy on those things. :-2
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl wrote: Stupid jerks, they don't know what a find you are.:-5Will you come over to hold him so I can slap 'im around?
Bez

Disc

Post by Bez »

All I can say is that they have missed the opportunity of employing on hell of a guy....what happened to good old interviews and gut feelings. We do pscychometric testing and the ones that get through are always the ones that I pick form the face to face interviews anyway.

Keep trying ...you'll find a company that DESERVES you, and we'll keep you entertained in the mean time. :-4
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Bez wrote: All I can say is that they have missed the opportunity of employing on hell of a guy....what happened to good old interviews and gut feelings. We do pscychometric testing and the ones that get through are always the ones that I pick form the face to face interviews anyway.

Keep trying ...you'll find a company that DESERVES you, and we'll keep you entertained in the mean time. :-4
I wish I could see a video & critique what happened, because I'm stumped. I hope it was my own screw-up and not the test, because I can fix a screw-up. My personality is a bit hard-wired by now. :wah:

And thanks for the entertainment. :-4
Bez

Disc

Post by Bez »

Accountable wrote: I wish I could see a video & critique what happened, because I'm stumped. I hope it was my own screw-up and not the test, because I can fix a screw-up. My personality is a bit hard-wired by now. :wah:

And thanks for the entertainment. :-4

OK then...since you've still got a bit of time on your hands....how about making a start on writing that book....or a journal on your time in New Orleans....or an autobiography....I'll send you some special Pens !!! :)

I will expect a signed copy though.....oh yes...and to have my name in the 'acknowledgements' list....:D
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Bez wrote: OK then...since you've still got a bit of time on your hands....how about making a start on writing that book....or a journal on your time in New Orleans....or an autobiography....I'll send you some special Pens !!! :)

I will expect a signed copy though.....oh yes...and to have my name in the 'acknowledgements' list....:D
Now that I'm a Forum Gardener, that acknowledgement list will be long indeed. :-6
PurpleChicken

Disc

Post by PurpleChicken »

Hey AC. Not sure if this is too late for your interview, but I've done a couple of courses with DISC. The one we looked at simplified it even further into 4 animals - lion, peacock, puppy dog and owl.

D - dominant, the Lion Likes order and control. high achievers, but can be too hard. Often get frustrated with people that don't move as fast as them.

I - Influential, the Peacock. It's all about people and relationships. Will foster great relationships, but can concentrate more on the relationships than getting the work done.

S - Steady, the Puppy Dog. Likes to keep the harmony. Slower to make decisions and but very loyal. Needs to be careful that they don't get stood on.

C - Conscientious, the (wise) Owl. Likes systems and order. Delves into the detail, but can sometimes get caught up in it.

Key thing with this tool is that it is meant to be BEHAVIOURAL based, not personality based like Myers Briggs. Means that whilst you will have a dominant behaviour (I'm a puppy dog too), you can and will change between the various behaviours. The skill is to understand your dominant type, it's strengths and limitations, and learn when you should try and apply another behaviour. Also very important to understand where other people are coming from.

If you're dealing with a customer (which is the training we used it for), it is good to understand whether they are being a lion (in which case they will be looking for quick and decisive actions), or a peacock (in which case they are really just on for a chat, so you really need to listen). Sorry, don't have any web references, but I hope that helps.....
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Here's my results. I fit the classic Promoter Pattern, according to the DISC people.

As a Promoter, you are likely to be gregarious and extroverted. These traits probalby help you to develop friendships easily, and you tend to look forward to meeting new people. You are usually willing to accept others as they are. As a result, you are likely to have considerable influence on those around you, and you may enjoy offering favors and opportunities to friends or colleagues.

You probably want to be popular, and you likely seek the approval of others. Therefore, you are unlikely to antagonize or bait others on p;urpose. You tend to be verbally skilled, and you probably use these talents ot lavish praise freely. For you, the point most likely is to make people feel comfortable and get them to think of you as a friend.

Bez

Disc

Post by Bez »

Pretty accurate I would say from what I've observed here at FG. What do you think ACC ?
Accountable

Disc

Post by Accountable »

Bez wrote: Pretty accurate I would say from what I've observed here at FG. What do you think ACC ?
:wah: Pretty spot on. Scratch my surface & you'll just get more of me. :-6

Return to “Work Employment”