36 tzadekim

Discuss the Jewish Faith and the Torah.
jhwty42

36 tzadekim

Post by jhwty42 »

In Jewish mysticism exist a belief for 36 tzadekim - common people which spiritual power guaranteed the very existence of our world.

So I say - big thanks to this unknown guys!
spot

36 tzadekim

Post by spot »

I am no lamed-vavnik, but the more each of us thinks maybe Snooze is, or BabyRider, or Ted or one of the Admins, the more we might calm our style and improve our ways of expressing ourselves in the forum. I might not expect to meet one here, but I can never discount the possibility.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Shimon

36 tzadekim

Post by Shimon »

Talmud, Succah 45b:

"The world never has less than thirty-six righteous men who receive the Divine Presence every day, for it is said, 'Happy are they that wait lo [for Him]' and the numerical value of 'lo' is thirty-six."

Our holy books say that every generation actually has a minimum (there may be more) of 72 holy men, 36 who live in Israel, and 36 who live outside of Israel.
spot

36 tzadekim

Post by spot »

These may be silly questions but does anything in the rulebook say none of them can be women? Is there a minimum age?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

36 tzadekim

Post by chonsigirl »

I just read the Zookeeper's Wife, I remember they mentioned one man being named one of them. I will have to look at the footnotes....
Shimon

36 tzadekim

Post by Shimon »

In the Talmud the word גברים was used meaning masculine or male but says nothing that a women cant be tzadekim The Rabbi's of Talmud used the term גברים

for almost everything.

The Talmud also says Man was initially created male and female as a single being so why not?
spot

36 tzadekim

Post by spot »

Shimon;1323164 wrote: In the Talmud the word גברים was used meaning masculine or male but says nothing that a women cant be tzadekim The Rabbi's of Talmud used the term גברים

for almost everything.

The Talmud also says Man was initially created male and female as a single being so why not?I just looked up https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... der#Hebrew

What fraction of Rabbis would you suggest are "promoting language usage which is balanced in its treatment of the genders" in discussions such as this? Actively interpreting tzadekim as inclusive of both men and women rather than, for example, grudgingly accepting as a possibility that a proportion might be or outright refusing to countenance such a heresy?

The other bit would interest me too - I've no idea what the answer might be. Would a Talmudic interpretation recognize a minimum age and if so where would it be set?
Shimon

36 tzadekim

Post by Shimon »

Gather for Me 70 elders… and I shall emanate to them from the spirit I have imbued in you" (Numbers 11:16-17)

And I shall place rubies ("kadkod" in Hebrew) as your Sun" (Isaiah 54:12). Kadkod has the value of 48, which refers to 48 of the 70 tzadikim that draw their spirituality from the root of Moses.All of them are from the world of masculinity, therefore the Shechina [which is feminine, so to speak] goes after them to connect with them. That is the mystery of the verse, "Light is sewn for the tzadikim" (Psalms 97:11).

By Rabbi Nathan Schapira

Originally there were 36 tzadikim, as in the value of the word ohel, tent. Yet later they were expanded to two thirds of 72 = 48, meaning two tents (groups of 24), that is why the verse says b'ohalei = 48, which is the plural of ohel. That is also the reason that two terms used are rejoicing and salvation.

Every noun of the Hebrew language is either male or female, each letter has a spirtual meaning.

All of them are from the world of masculinity is why the Rabbi's used the term men. (not a female or male person in this world)

This refers to the 72 tzadikim; they are similar to the members of Sanhedrin plus Moses and Aaron

I was just having fun because I knew 36 tzadikim does not concern gender as in our world.
Shimon

36 tzadekim

Post by Shimon »

spot;1323242 wrote: I just looked up https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... der#Hebrew

What fraction of Rabbis would you suggest are "promoting language usage which is balanced in its treatment of the genders" in discussions such as this? Actively interpreting tzadekim as inclusive of both men and women rather than, for example, grudgingly accepting as a possibility that a proportion might be or outright refusing to countenance such a heresy?

The other bit would interest me too - I've no idea what the answer might be. Would a Talmudic interpretation recognize a minimum age and if so where would it be set?

a person's personality has not matured until age 20, as he had not had time to absorb and comprehend the various spiritual components that make up a true Israelite until he has reached that age

Return to “Judaism”