Winter Olympics

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Winter Olympics

Post by Betty Boop »

Oooooh I do like the winter olympics have enjoyed Figure Skating this evening especially this young lady, just wow...

My son expressed a desire to go on the ice whilst watching this evening, although he's not sure he can manage the jumping about, or the music.
spot

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by spot »

Your ponds freeze over in the winter perhaps? Or there's a local rink?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:26 pm Your ponds freeze over in the winter perhaps? Or there's a local rink?
Far too mild here, he will have to wait for Christmas and maybe his big sister would take him to the Eden Project.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Very famous bit of music for this one. Never seen a female skater so tall and make it all look so effortless. One fall but she still outscored the rest, amazing! Certainly one to watch
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

An amazing effort by such a young skater. I wondered when one of the girls would do the Quad ! I wonder what her score would have been had she not fallen.
Pity we haven't got any class acts like Torvil & Dean or Robin Cousins or John Curry ! Still, it's quite engrossing just the same.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I was watching the speed skating last night after work (dropped into the RSL on my way home ) I mentioned to the barman how it is boring to watch. He agreed. He thought it was about the camera angles etc. We know they are going really fast but it doesn't show on the telly.
But I had a think about it and said "It might be boring to us but somewhere in the world a family, village or town is going ape shit right now cheering the guys on to win...........made me feel good.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:46 pm Very famous bit of music for this one. Never seen a female skater so tall and make it all look so effortless. One fall but she still outscored the rest, amazing! Certainly one to watch
Heartbreaking scenes today watching this young lady, she came 4th bless her and broke her heart after her routine that she just couldn't pull off on the day. No wonder either the stress she's been under. I'm sure we all wish we could speak Russian watching this to find out why another Russian skater is so angry behind the scenes waiting for the funny toy thing ceremony.
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:43 pmI'm sure we all wish we could speak Russian watching this to find out why another Russian skater is so angry behind the scenes waiting for the funny toy thing ceremony.
That was the silver medalist:
"I hate this sport, I hate this sport, I hate all of it. I won't go to the medal ceremony... I don't want to go," she was overheard saying angrily.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60417450
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:56 am
Betty Boop wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:43 pmI'm sure we all wish we could speak Russian watching this to find out why another Russian skater is so angry behind the scenes waiting for the funny toy thing ceremony.
That was the silver medalist:
"I hate this sport, I hate this sport, I hate all of it. I won't go to the medal ceremony... I don't want to go," she was overheard saying angrily.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60417450
Not surprising that she feels that way given the pressure the coach puts on them to perform.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:28 am Not surprising that she feels that way given the pressure the coach puts on them to perform.
It's a consequence of coaching children and it's infamously just as bad in England. No child gymnast ever had a coach who didn't push continually. The ones who get to the National squad can only have got there by years of being pushed to extremes.

The occasional retired child gymnast goes public and then there's a muted discussion in the press, but underlying it is the simple fact that there would be no top-flight gymnastics if the training system were abandoned. Adult gymnasts are a different matter but they don't compete in the same disciplines.

I imagine https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html and https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-53885944 are probably typical. A worldwide ban on child competition might be the only reasonable solution.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:48 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:28 am Not surprising that she feels that way given the pressure the coach puts on them to perform.
It's a consequence of coaching children and it's infamously just as bad in England. No child gymnast ever had a coach who didn't push continually. The ones who get to the National squad can only have got there by years of being pushed to extremes.

The occasional retired child gymnast goes public and then there's a muted discussion in the press, but underlying it is the simple fact that there would be no top-flight gymnastics if the training system were abandoned. Adult gymnasts are a different matter but they don't compete in the same disciplines.

I imagine https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html and https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-53885944 are probably typical. A worldwide ban on child competition might be the only reasonable solution.
The difference, I think, is that in Russia the children are taken into training full time whereas in the UK they still live at home and therefore the pressure cannot be applied without the knowledge and agreement of the parents.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:21 am The difference, I think, is that in Russia the children are taken into training full time whereas in the UK they still live at home and therefore the pressure cannot be applied without the knowledge and agreement of the parents.
I agree entirely. Two points - the UK coaches are just as pushy, and the parents are often pushier still.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:24 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:21 am The difference, I think, is that in Russia the children are taken into training full time whereas in the UK they still live at home and therefore the pressure cannot be applied without the knowledge and agreement of the parents.
I agree entirely. Two points - the UK coaches are just as pushy, and the parents are often pushier still.
It’s a sad world we live in.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I had to laugh when the Skiing was disrupted because of snow.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:19 pm I had to laugh when the Skiing was disrupted because of snow.
You wouldn't laugh if you'd had to thaw out your whatsit though.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm
FourPart wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:19 pm I had to laugh when the Skiing was disrupted because of snow.
You wouldn't laugh if you'd had to thaw out your whatsit though.
Poor lad did not deserve that.

Return to “General Chit Chat”