Clarity of diction

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Clarity of diction

Post by spot »

I admire people who speak clearly, it's by no means simple or automatic.

Anyway. I have found a world-class exponent. When I start YouTube video monologues, this chap will be my lodestar. The set, the production values but above all the style.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Re: Clarity of diction

Post by tude dog »

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

Anyone can piss around with an audio channel. Do you not recognize propaganda when you see it?

Here's a clue. If the diction is clear then the chap is speaking clearly, as in my opening example. If the audio is incomprehensible then find out what twat deliberately messed it up to amuse his dribble-buddies.

I only ever encounter President Biden on Radio 4 main news at either 1pm or 6pm. He is invariably immaculate in his delivery, I never fail to follow his words. Now you tell me, do you think on those occasions he has someone reed his lines aloud for him or do you think your example was messed up for a lark by some lowlife political nonentity trying to sabotage his reputation among the American proletariat.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:03 pm
Anyone can piss around with an audio channel. Do you not recognize propaganda when you see it?

Here's a clue. If the diction is clear then the chap is speaking clearly, as in my opening example. If the audio is incomprehensible then find out what twat deliberately messed it up to amuse his dribble-buddies.

I only ever encounter President Biden on Radio 4 main news at either 1pm or 6pm. He is invariably immaculate in his delivery, I never fail to follow his words. Now you tell me, do you think on those occasions he has someone reed his lines aloud for him or do you think your example was messed up for a lark by some lowlife political nonentity trying to sabotage his reputation among the American proletariat.

I saw that on a TV news program this morning and thought of your post. I decided to see if it was posted on outube. and lucky it was. Look at the video and you can find it is from the New York Post.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/24/biden-whi ... creepy-qa/

Anybody who watches the news can't escape that our President has some problems.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I watched that clip Tude provided, and it was obvious to me that Biden was using that theatrical "whisper" for effect. And it seemed perfectly clear.
Joe is actually a fairly clever guy.
Though, for me, his politics are a tad further to the right than I like, but hey, at least they are on the Map. A refreshing change from the previous holder of the office.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:19 pm I admire people who speak clearly, it's by no means simple or automatic.

Anyway. I have found a world-class exponent. When I start YouTube video monologues, this chap will be my lodestar. The set, the production values but above all the style.

Yes. Excellent diction. Too bad that I can only guess at what he was saying.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm Well, I watched that clip Tude provided, and it was obvious to me that Biden was using that theatrical "whisper" for effect. And it seemed perfectly clear.
I'd no idea, I was replying on a machine which couldn't actually play YouTube videos becaue of security lockouts on the Internet connection. I've seen lots of jiggered audio tracks relating to the President though. Why he should hand his detractors a whispering gift I've no idea, every attempt he makes at humor backfires. He may be a lot of things but he's not funny.
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:47 pm Yes. Excellent diction. Too bad that I can only guess at what he was saying.
Ah. Yes - obscure content, definitely. Wonderful delivery though. I'm sat here practicing with Mark Anthony's funeral oration.
spot

Post by spot »

This is magnificently delivered too. The captions can auto-translate if that helps to start with. The gentleman provides a great channel.

Story of my life, this video.

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm Well, I watched that clip Tude provided, and it was obvious to me that Biden was using that theatrical "whisper" for effect. And it seemed perfectly clear.
Joe is actually a fairly clever guy.[/qupte]

Whispering sweet nothings. Like the shoe, nobody will remember what it was all about.

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm Though, for me, his politics are a tad further to the right than I like, but hey, at least they are on the Map. A refreshing change from the previous holder of the office.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 am This is magnificently delivered too. The captions can auto-translate if that helps to start with. The gentleman provides a great channel.

Story of my life, this video.

How am I to measure his diction when it sounds like he had a drop of one or more too many.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am How am I to measure his diction when it sounds like he had a drop of one or more too many.
You will place your own valuation on your own judgement, as we all do. I'd merely point out that he has a very cogent video on his channel entitled "STAYING SOBER AND EVEN MINDED", and that in my experience an inebriate is unable to master either yoga or meditation.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:02 pm
tude dog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 am How am I to measure his diction when it sounds like he had a drop of one or more too many.
You will place your own valuation on your own judgement, as we all do. I'd merely point out that he has a very cogent video on his channel entitled "STAYING SOBER AND EVEN MINDED", and that in my experience an inebriate is unable to master either yoga or meditation.
Turned on the captioning.
Google Translate is phenomenally poor.
I could better grasp what he was saying before the captioning.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I managed most of the German, it helps that he's slow and deliberate. I can't follow his Spanish videos. There's more than a dozen in English. I'd regard him as a world-class storyteller. I've found myself disagreeing with aspects of his philosophy on rare occasions and even then he's worth listening to.

I'm slowly taking small bites of conversational Spanish at Babbel. A year's subscription at half price, £40. It will come in useful.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tude dog wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot

Post by spot »

They're relevant to clarity of diction? Just look at what they say, tude, they're about clarity of thought, not speech.

Look. The guy speaks clearly. President Biden is one of the few Americans I can comprehend on the radio because he actually uses to consonant T in every word where one appears, for example.

I'll tell you what, I'll put up a post showing the sounds I hear from the next American on the radio if you like. In general it's embarrassing. President Biden, on the other hand, actually speaks clearly.

While we're at it, what's that claptrap sig saying?
You're claiming Kamala Harris - "she" - jailed all black voters?

It's so obviously bullshit that I have no idea why it's there.

Or are you trying to pretend most black voters voted for the Trump ticket? Good luck with that then.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 am They're relevant to clarity of diction? Just look at what they say, tude, they're about clarity of thought, not speech.

Look. The guy speaks clearly. President Biden is one of the few Americans I can comprehend on the radio because he actually uses to consonant T in every word where one appears, for example.

I'll tell you what, I'll put up a post showing the sounds I hear from the next American on the radio if you like. In general it's embarrassing. President Biden, on the other hand, actually speaks clearly.

While we're at it, what's that claptrap sig saying?
You're claiming Kamala Harris - "she" - jailed all black voters?

It's so obviously bullshit that I have no idea why it's there.

Or are you trying to pretend most black voters voted for the Trump ticket? Good luck with that then.
It's a joke, Ha Ha :lol:

KAMALA HARRIS’S CRIMINAL JUSTICE RECORD KILLED HER PRESIDENTIAL RUN

https://theappeal.org/kamala-harris-cri ... ntial-run/
spot

Post by spot »

I thought she was still part-way through her Presidential run.

If she's President by Christmas, will that not qualify?

Does it not seem increasingly likely?
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I'm more concerned about this!

spot

Post by spot »

Why the concern, Hope? There's a fixed succession, the Presidency will always be filled even if one becomes incapacitated. You're never dependent on the individual.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:10 pm Why the concern, Hope? There's a fixed succession, the Presidency will always be filled even if one becomes incapacitated. You're never dependent on the individual.
Yes but who it is that will be succeeding them can be an even bigger problem.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:16 pm
spot wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:10 pm Why the concern, Hope? There's a fixed succession, the Presidency will always be filled even if one becomes incapacitated. You're never dependent on the individual.
Yes but who it is that will be succeeding them can be an even bigger problem.

So you prefer your current President and you hope you can keep him in office until 2024?

Or you'd prefer to have a different Constitution to stop some people from voting if they aren't adequately patriotic?

Or, of course, you might just think President Trump did get re-elected after all. Some people think that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:49 pm I'm more concerned about this!

I don't understand the concern. Everybody fumbles once in a while. Most of us are lucky enough to not have a bunch of cameras recording it and sharing it with the whole world.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

This seems to be the most amazing example of Topic shift I have seen in a long time.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”