We got a new POTUS

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Re: We got a new POTUS

Post by LarsMac »

So, #46 is on the books.
It's nice to see some dignity return to the office.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:40 am So, #46 is on the books.
It's nice to see some dignity return to the office.
He talks a good talk, now let’s see if he can walk a good walk.
cars

Post by cars »

POTUS Decorum again!!!
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

This is a relief. On the other hand, at the moment there's 2.3K likes and 15K dislikes - the MAGA base hasn't let go at all, those dislikes are 15% of the views. The comments show what's happening.

By contrast, today's Guardian compared President Trump's Press Briefings to performances by Mugabe. That would be comic except it's not.

eta: either YouTube or the channel owner is jimmying the figures, those 15K dislikes dropped suddenly to 3K. That was not a clever move. Far more sensible would be to unsubscribe everyone and reset the channel.

For a flavor of the comments, here's the last ten minutes. Excuse my re-ordering, it made things easier to extract, but I've not omitted or edited any.

Trump won
Boooooo 😷🤮
What a joke
Suck it theives.
Know you trump won
Resign immediately
Who is Tara Reade?
Illegitimate President
Booooooooooooooooooooo!
Bolsheviks imposter fraud
Where's Kayleigh?????????
Trump and his crew always 👊
Why shut down the comments?
I really miss Kayleigh now :(
Thanks for the lob-ball Peter!
That’s a good start for truth.
CHINA collusion......Jo Bi Deng
On Behalf of Texas KISS OUR ASS
Reopen the HuntetGate files, Robinette!
Is he gonna be telling “truth over facts”?
Biden closes pipeline, killed 42000 jobs day 1.
Where are the rude and disrespectful reporters?
Wow serious ass kissing by communist media scum.
The American Revolutionary War must be fought once again.
Big government giving instructions to its propaganda media.
BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOO. FU QUID PRO CHINA JOE
Truth and Transparency aren't in the Biden/Harris vocabulary.
Dominion must get to work on those Like and Dislike numbers...
The ministry of propaganda gets their questions ahead of time.
I see you turned off the comments on the inauguration video lol.
Surprised to see the comments section up. Censorship like the CCP.
BIDEN FRAUD! THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS BIDEN CHEATED AND TRUMP WON!!!!!
Fuck You Fraudulent president, chi-com Puppet And A Traitor...bitch
Went from 8k dislikes down to 5k, 🤔 I knew Democrats couldn’t count
I live in a nation of taxation with no representation in government.
Media is very tamed I wonder if it’ll ever change? Who am I kidding. 🙄
The media just can't stop giving Beijing Biden and crew tounge bathes.
Done paying taxes here. I'm not paying another dime to this government.
Well look who we have here everybody Chinese representative in the flesh
Reporters should be asking for his medical information. How bad is his dementia?
She said president Obama! Freudian slip. We all know Obama is speaking in Bidens ear
I, for one, am here to watch this mealy-mouthed corrupt administration go down in flames.
The guy who has to clean up the drool, after these reporters bootlicking deserve a raise.
illegitimate president!! you cheated we know we wiil not stand for this, your days are numbered!!
Surprised they didn't ask if Joe had any ice cream today. Disgusting press, the bias is palpable.
What about election integrity and Big Tech censoring ? Btw, stop removing dislikes Youtube plz...
You can’t “share accurate info with the American people” when you STOLE their votes for Trump in the first place!
Lol this lady is a joke as well as the whole administration. Kayleigh come bk - this idiot almost said Obama 🤦‍♀️
Complete joke! He’s banning fracking after saying in a debate he would not! 🤣 Of course they had to harvest ballots!
Didn’t Joe just sign an executive order requiring masks in Federal buildings? I must be seeing things. Where is her mask?
YouTube is working on “fixing” the votes on here for you Joey Bribes!!! You cannot even get your own up votes on YouTube!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
This woman would crack under any serious questioning, she’s so scatty and all over the place. Diversity hire can barely get her words out
Governments derive their power from the consent of the governed. This weak, corrupt individual was installed not elected and shall never have my consent
If you have to remove dislikes and delete comments to make people think you actually won, it isn't helping and only making it more obvious than it already is
Enjoy your short tenure. Military will be pulling you out soon. How was Bidens ride in a private jet instead of a military plane. All executive orders...Dictator! He has no clue what the will of the people is
there were 13k dislikes yesterday... we all know biden is illegitimate, he knows, we all know (well maybe biden doesn't know being senile and all) and when kermitla takes power shim will be illegitimate too -Infantry Vet
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

Yes, i thought about the extreme military strength there in DC right now, that's what kept the peace, and hope that peace will still remain after the troops eventually leave. Time will tell.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Meanwhile 2000 people have been detained in Russia. And China just flew over Taiwanese waters with nuclear capable bombers.

And the world bumfight continues.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:33 pm Meanwhile 2000 people have been detained in Russia. And China just flew over Taiwanese waters with nuclear capable bombers.

And the world bumfight continues.
I thought any bomber was capable of dropping nuclear weapons?

After all, if a Lancaster could do it seventy five years ago ...
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:33 pm China just flew over Taiwanese waters with nuclear capable bombers.
A little history - maybe it ought to be in a new thread though.

Taiwan was ruled from China from 1683 to 1895, following previous colonial exploitation by the Dutch and the Spanish who had taken the island from earlier local Chinese rule.

From 1895 to 1945, much as with Korea, Taiwan was a colony of Japan. The Japanese lost their empire in 1945 and the island reverted to Chinese rule. The Chinese government from 1945 to 1949 was the Nationalist government. When the Nationalists lost mainland China to the Communist party, it fled to Taiwan and continued to rule that part of China while the Communist party ruled the mainland. That political separation of one country continues today.

The reason Taiwan has not reunified with the mainland from 1949 to now is that America backs the pro-American local Nationalist party, just as Korea has not reunified from 1953 to now is because America backs the pro-American local regime in South Korea. America is, you might notice, half a world away on another continent but that doesn't stop it from interfering in local affairs across Asia.

Perhaps you think Taiwan is not part of China.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:35 pm
magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:33 pm China just flew over Taiwanese waters with nuclear capable bombers.

Taiwan was ruled from China from 1683 to 1895, following previous colonial exploitation by the Dutch and the Spanish who had taken the island from earlier local Chinese rule.

From 1895 to 1945, much as with Korea, Taiwan was a colony of Japan. The Japanese lost their empire in 1945 and the island reverted to Chinese rule. The Chinese government from 1945 to 1949 was the Nationalist government. When the Nationalists lost mainland China to the Communist party, it fled to Taiwan and continued to rule that part of China while the Communist party ruled the mainland. That political separation of one country continues today.

The reason Taiwan has not reunified with the mainland from 1949 to now is that America backs the pro-American local Nationalist party, just as Korea has not reunified from 1953 to now is because America backs the pro-American local regime in South Korea. America is, you might notice, half a world away on another continent but that doesn't stop it from interfering in local affairs across Asia.

Actually, Folks running Taiwan claim to be "The Real China"
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Trump is making noise that he wants to start his "Own Political Party"!

Maybe something like:

Trumpicans

Imperialicans

Eleteticans

:lol:
spot

Post by spot »

Despite the constant negative press covfefe.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 pm Despite the constant negative press covfefe.
Deplorables United
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I thought it was supposed to be called the "Patriot party" ????
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 am

As best I understand matters, both the government of Mainland China and the government of Taiwan agree that the two areas constitute a single country called China. Each government maintains that it is the sole legitimate government of China. The Taiwan government considers Mao to have been a war criminal and the Beijing government to be illegitimate, the Mainland government considers Chiang Kai-shek (leader of the Kuomintang from 1925 until his death in 1975) to have been a war criminal and quite reasonably laugh at the absurd pretensions of Taipei.

The island of Taiwan is smaller than the US State of West Virginia or Maine. Mainland China, by contrast, is 20% larger than the entire Contiguous United States. To express that as a purely Chinese comparison, Mainland China is 2,750 times larger than Taiwan. I'm not sure why anyone would be so daft as to think China should be governed by the Kuomintang these days but it would be nice if the country could just be left to its own devices and reunify instead of being pushed around by successive American administrations.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am

As best I understand matters, both the government of Mainland China and the government of Taiwan agree that the two areas constitute a single country called China. Each government maintains that it is the sole legitimate government of China. The Taiwan government considers Mao to have been a war criminal and the Beijing government to be illegitimate, the Mainland government considers Chiang Kai-shek (leader of the Kuomintang from 1925 until his death in 1975) to have been a war criminal and quite reasonably laugh at the absurd pretensions of Taipei.
That pretty well sums it up.
In interesting story:
When I was very young, my parents met and were favored by a family from Quanzhou who owned a restaurant in the DC area. They adopted us as family. I called them Grandma and Grandpa. We were very close until my father took a job in California.
We remained in touch for many years. In the mid 70s I paid them a visit and we had many conversations. They decided to return to China in the early 80s and I never heard from them, again.
When I mentioned them during my visit to Beijing in 2010, I was advised not to speak of them, as any association with the old nationalists could still cause heartburn for people on the mainland.
spot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am The island of Taiwan is smaller than the US State of West Virginia or Maine. Mainland China, by contrast, is 20% larger than the entire Contiguous United States. To express that as a purely Chinese comparison, Mainland China is 2,750 times larger than Taiwan. I'm not sure why anyone would be so daft as to think China should be governed by the Kuomintang these days but it would be nice if the country could just be left to its own devices and reunify instead of being pushed around by successive American administrations.
I am far more concerned with how China treats the Uigars and Tibetans, than how the relationship with the old Kuomintang goes.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Our new POTUS is issuing "Executive Order's" on top of "Executive Order's", he's on Fire, righting many wrongs. And seemingly causing others!
spot

Post by spot »

The challenge relating to Taiwan is summed up by the BBC today as:
China sees democratic Taiwan as a breakaway province, but Taiwan sees itself as a sovereign state, with its own constitution, military, and elected leaders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55851052
I think the present regime in Taiwan should be asked a simple question. When the Nationalists fled to Taiwan in 1949 and transferred their government to Taipei, did they land on Chinese territory or did they invade a foreign nation?

I can't imagine you'll find anyone in the government on Taiwan who will say it was an invasion. I think they'd all agree it was Chinese territory before the transfer and that they then continued to insist they were the sole legitimate government of all China.

They may still be engaged in a civil war, but there are definitely not two Chinas. Why the White House feels it has skin in this game is the only remaining puzzle.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:09 pm The challenge relating to Taiwan is summed up by the BBC today as:
China sees democratic Taiwan as a breakaway province, but Taiwan sees itself as a sovereign state, with its own constitution, military, and elected leaders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55851052
I think the present regime in Taiwan should be asked a simple question. When the Nationalists fled to Taiwan in 1949 and transferred their government to Taipei, did they land on Chinese territory or did they invade a foreign nation?

I can't imagine you'll find anyone in the government on Taiwan who will say it was an invasion. I think they'd all agree it was Chinese territory before the transfer and that they then continued to insist they were the sole legitimate government of all China.

They may still be engaged in a civil war, but there are definitely not two Chinas. Why the White House feels it has skin in this game is the only remaining puzzle.
The US and UK have been meddling in the affairs of China and the region for at least century. Why stop now?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:18 pm Our new POTUS is issuing "Executive Order's" on top of "Executive Order's", he's on Fire, righting many wrongs. And seemingly causing others!
Executive orders are going to haunt the US government for the rest of this century.
One day, we will realize that they are akin to the Opioid usage to treat pain.

Hopefully, Congress will become more functional and do the work to get things done properly.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:35 am
The US and UK have been meddling in the affairs of China and the region for at least century. Why stop now?
The British - all the European powers - found China too large a mouthful, none of us ever managed to govern it, but Britain in particular succeeded in destroying it as a working country from 1840 for 80 years, after which the Japanese kept it that way for the next thirty. It's only with the decisive victory of Mao that the country came out from under foreign domination and evolved, spectacularly quickly and with a lot of pain, back to the world leader status it rightly occupied for millennia before the European Christians arrived and started evangelizing.

Before World War Two, the only impact America had on China was as one of many foreign countries where money could be made, by renting out peasants. Who else laid your railroads.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:12 am
The British - all the European powers - found China too large a mouthful, none of us ever managed to govern it, but Britain in particular succeeded in destroying it as a working country from 1840 for 80 years, after which the Japanese kept it that way for the next thirty. It's only with the decisive victory of Mao that the country came out from under foreign domination and evolved, spectacularly quickly and with a lot of pain, back to the world leader status it rightly occupied for millennia before the European Christians arrived and started evangelizing.

Before World War Two, the only impact America had on China was as one of many foreign countries where money could be made, by renting out peasants. Who else laid your railroads.
The Irish
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 pm

The Irish
And them. We starved the Irish over here which you then allowed to become corrupt policemen in your big cities. Chinese labour gangs back then didn't fit the American category of White so they couldn't take jobs. Something's niggling in the back of my head about how long discrimination lasts, hang on. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Tami+Barker%22+%22asian%22 - that's it. Three years ago. God only knows how anyone can be brought up to keep a prejudice that long, but I reckon it also has something to do with the nationalistic enmity against China in the press now.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:39 pm

The Irish
And them. We starved the Irish over here which you then allowed to become corrupt policemen in your big cities. Chinese labour gangs back then didn't fit the American category of White so they couldn't take jobs. Something's niggling in the back of my head about how long discrimination lasts, hang on. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Tami+Barker%22+%22asian%22 - that's it. Three years ago. God only knows how anyone can be brought up to keep a prejudice that long, but I reckon it also has something to do with the nationalistic enmity against China in the press now.
Discrimination is certainly nothing new. And will likely never be eliminated.
Various and sundry collective populations will fall in and out of the unfavored, but humans are actually quite proud of our ability to segregate ourselves from this, or that, other sort.

I often have wondered how much of the discrimination against the Irish in America was due to them simply being Irish, and how much was due to them being primarily Catholic.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:02 pm

The Irish
Various and sundry collective populations will fall in and out of the unfavored, but humans are actually quite proud of our ability to segregate ourselves from this, or that, other sort.

I often have wondered how much of the discrimination against the Irish in America was due to them simply being Irish, and how much was due to them being primarily Catholic.

An interesting bit on the subject
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 pm
LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:02 pm

The Irish

"I often have wondered how much of the discrimination against the Irish in America was due to them simply being Irish, and how much was due to them being primarily Catholic." -

Ah. Not so much, I would imagine. Pick a date like 1550, say, and the two islands of Britain, one being Ireland and subject to the Pope (excuse my language, I'm pointing to reasons at the time rather than modern bigoted language) and the other being Henry the Eighth's gradual break with Roman authority regarding divorce laws over the previous twenty years. Up until then, both countries had practised a undistinguishable Christianity. Ireland had been the one last beacon of civilized culture through the dark ages. Despite that, the English treated the Irish appallingly. That's because the English aristocracy were Norman for a long while, and the Irish weren't. From then on, if you were Irish you were discriminated against. Being Catholic became an excuse when being a Catholic in England got you killed for treason too.

Then the Catholic James lost his battles with anti-Catholic Cromwell in Ireland, and Cromwell slaughtered Catholics and brought in the exact same Protestant plantations that ended up a while later taking over America. Nobody in America was Catholic either for a long time, which accounts for the background anti-Catholic sentiment there since the Pilgrim Fathers landed. Besides, you had to hate the Spaniards in Mexico too, it all counted in the same direction.

I like the article you linked to.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 pm
LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 pm

"I often have wondered how much of the discrimination against the Irish in America was due to them simply being Irish, and how much was due to them being primarily Catholic." -

Ah. Not so much, I would imagine. Pick a date like 1550, say, and the two islands of Britain, one being Ireland and subject to the Pope (excuse my language, I'm pointing to reasons at the time rather than modern bigoted language) and the other being Henry the Eighth's gradual break with Roman authority regarding divorce laws over the previous twenty years. Up until then, both countries had practised a undistinguishable Christianity. Ireland had been the one last beacon of civilized culture through the dark ages. Despite that, the English treated the Irish appallingly. That's because the English aristocracy were Norman for a long while, and the Irish weren't. From then on, if you were Irish you were discriminated against. Being Catholic became an excuse when being a Catholic in England got you killed for treason too.

Then the Catholic James lost his battles with anti-Catholic Cromwell in Ireland, and Cromwell slaughtered Catholics and brought in the exact same Protestant plantations that ended up a while later taking over America. Nobody in America was Catholic either for a long time, which accounts for the background anti-Catholic sentiment there since the Pilgrim Fathers landed. Besides, you had to hate the Spaniards in Mexico too, it all counted in the same direction.

I like the article you linked to.
[/quote]

The male line on my Maternal side were Scot-Irish Huguenots who came to America in the 17th century from Limerick and settled in Pennsylvania, before moving South in 18th century. The Real discrimination of the Irish in America was in the mid to late 19th Century against the Irish fleeing the famine.

The Irish were hired to build the railroads in the East, while the the Chinese were imported through California to work the other end, Eastward.
As late as the 1970s a traveler could often find Chinese restaurants and businesses in the small towns throughout the Western states, started by the descendants of those rail-workers from Canton and Kwangchow.
In the East, there are signs of the Irish Catholics throughout the Midwest - Notre Dame University being one of the most well known.
The State of Maryland was the first Colony to have a significant Catholic population. History of Maryland
We actually got over the Spaniards to the south until into the 19th Century, when the US began to covet Texas and California.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Speaking of Catholics, When John F Kennedy was running for President, his being a Irish Catholic was almost a show-stopper.
I remember many a debate about whether the US would become a Vatican Puppet state if JFK took the White House.
There was even a QAnon-worthy story that it was the Pope, hisself[sic], that ordered the hit, because Jack wasn't being a proper Catholic.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I distinctly remember JFK being Catholic as the most discussed aspect of his candidacy, at least in England.

As for the fallout from the insurrection and General Lloyd Austin's swearing in as defense secretary:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

That picture and the words "In his confirmation hearing, Austin signaled that the 1995 incident would shape his approach" have left me quite confused. From what I recall, the chap in handcuffs was eventually sent home with a sentence of time served on remand, plus an extra bit suspended to remind him to behave better. I've no idea what the combination signifies. Randy Lee Meadows has been a free man for the last quarter of a century, I bet he's just as puzzled as I am to see his photo in today's Washington Post.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I distinctly remember during the nominee to the Supreme Court Amy Coney Barrett's Catholicism a Demoncrat raised it an issue. 8-)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm I distinctly remember during the nominee to the Supreme Court Amy Coney Barrett's Catholicism a Demoncrat raised it an issue. 8-)
No, sweetie. That's not what happened. What actually got discussed was "Amy Coney Barrett: spotlight falls on secretive Catholic group People of Praise - Trump’s pick is a member of a ‘covenant community’ that faces claims of a ‘highly authoritarian’ structure". That's not Catholicism, that's a mind-control cult comparable with Waco or Jonestown. Its keywords are Charismatic Renewal, Pentecostal religious experience, speaking in tongues and prophecy.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:36 pm
tude dog wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm I distinctly remember during the nominee to the Supreme Court Amy Coney Barrett's Catholicism a Demoncrat raised it an issue. 8-)
No, sweetie. That's not what happened. What actually got discussed was "Amy Coney Barrett: spotlight falls on secretive Catholic group People of Praise - Trump’s pick is a member of a ‘covenant community’ that faces claims of a ‘highly authoritarian’ structure". That's not Catholicism, that's a mind-control cult comparable with Waco or Jonestown. Its keywords are Charismatic Renewal, Pentecostal religious experience, speaking in tongues and prophecy.
condescending and passive aggressive.............I like it. lol

I thought you were talking about our prime minister then. He's part of that ridiculas new age happy clappy church. Speaking in tongues? every time he fronts the media.
spot

Post by spot »

Here's a quote explicitly naming the People of Praise, by a respected observer (Adrian J. Reimers, Ph.D. ("More Than the Devil's Due" - Cultic Studies Journal, 1994, Volume 11, Number 1, pages 77-87)), found in full at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:People_of_Praise
It is a world in which safety from Satan can only be found in submission to enlightened leaders who claim a special power from God to discern the true workings of the devil. It is a world in which a person loses psychological control of his or her own life."

Cult is a good word for that. Nothing to do with bloody Catholicism. It would be nice if people didn't twist facts.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

A sneaky way to go after a Catholic. ;)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 am
A sneaky way to go after a Catholic. ;)
At least I was quoting a respected American academic on the cultish nature of People of Praise.

On a positive note, Press Secretary Jen Psaki has brought professional competence to the White House Briefings. I've not heard much apologizing from Sean Spicer yet, maybe he could do the right thing now. If anyone can see an online White House Lie Counter which registers more than zero for this Administration, or even just for the Press Briefings, I'd welcome a link. Four years back it was like watching a fireworks party.
cars

Post by cars »

Trump is still causing havoc by now creating a new "Office of Donald J Trump", simulating he's still in a a position of power to his cult! Many of them still believe he will resurrect his presidency! :?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

This impeachment process. I have to laugh. Are these politicians Shakespearean actors on their days off? The performances are wonderful.

Like just get to the point already geesh! The new footage of the riots have me a little unnerved though. It's like all your wackoes all in one place. And I'm sure they all watched silence of the lambs because that's what it reminded me of.
spot

Post by spot »

I suspect they're all ex-lawyers who had too much practice in front of real judges before they took to politics.

And there's a damn sight more wackoes in America than just them on the news reports.

The problem with being partisan is you have to take an extreme position with no overlap to the other side, and you have to maintain it regardless of natural justice or truth. It's a bit like patriotism or tribalism. Plain stupidity, if you ask me. What's really needed is open minds and persuasion toward building common ground, not becoming the problem by making your mind up.
spot

Post by spot »

Well, the Senate hearing has now seen the defence team in action. They're quite right. Anyone bringing a case has to come to a court with clean hands and it's blatantly obvious the Democrat Congress has used just as inflammatory language as Trump did on the 6th. That doesn't mean the President didn't knowingly provoke the events of the day, of course he did. It's just shameful that there's no element of American society which isn't just as polarized and violently inclined. America has no 21st century Gandhi and if it had one, he'd never get heard.

President Trump is more in control of the Republican Party today than he ever has been before, and he's going to scream for the next four years that the election was stolen - if he can outfox dying from old age, of course.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:38 pm
spot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am

That pretty well sums it up.
In interesting story:
When I was very young, my parents met and were favored by a family from Quanzhou who owned a restaurant in the DC area. They adopted us as family. I called them Grandma and Grandpa. We were very close until my father took a job in California.
We remained in touch for many years. In the mid 70s I paid them a visit and we had many conversations. They decided to return to China in the early 80s and I never heard from them, again.
When I mentioned them during my visit to Beijing in 2010, I was advised not to speak of them, as any association with the old nationalists could still cause heartburn for people on the mainland.
spot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am The island of Taiwan is smaller than the US State of West Virginia or Maine. Mainland China, by contrast, is 20% larger than the entire Contiguous United States. To express that as a purely Chinese comparison, Mainland China is 2,750 times larger than Taiwan. I'm not sure why anyone would be so daft as to think China should be governed by the Kuomintang these days but it would be nice if the country could just be left to its own devices and reunify instead of being pushed around by successive American administrations.
I am far more concerned with how China treats the Uigars and Tibetans, than how the relationship with the old Kuomintang goes.
I don't think you guys understand, China believes all of the south pacific is theirs. I think spot needs to understand the role America played in the south pacific in WW11 before calling it "pushed around" .
Fact is China doesn't care if you're concerned or not . They take what they want and laugh at anyone who criticises them. They are an extremely dangerous country and anyone who doesn't see it will perish. And if spot can't see how Hong Kong is turning out then spot is blind.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 pm
I don't think you guys understand, China believes all of the south pacific is theirs. I think spot needs to understand the role America played in the south pacific in WW11 before calling it "pushed around" .
Fact is China doesn't care if you're concerned or not . They take what they want and laugh at anyone who criticises them. They are an extremely dangerous country and anyone who doesn't see it will perish. And if spot can't see how Hong Kong is turning out then spot is blind.
All I need do really is ask you to write here what it is that China has taken. "They take what they want", yes? What have they taken?

Secondly, has Hong Kong always been a part of China or not? Under duress China leased Hong Kong to the British for 150 years and then the lease expired and the territory reverted to the owner of the land. What has China taken?

You are surrounded by countries which have been taken by Western imperialists. Australia and Malaya and Borneo were taken by the British, not the Chinese. Indonesia was taken by the Dutch, not the Chinese. Hawaii was taken by the Americans not the Chinese, the Philippines by the Spanish not the Chinese, Vietnam and Cambodia and Tahiti by the French not the Chinese. Name a country that wasn't already part of China back when empires were being stolen, which is now part of China because of Chinese expansion. China has not expanded. If you want to attack colonial expansion then support independence for Hawaii and base your reason on historical accuracy, that was fifty years before World War Two and it definitely consisted of pushing around.

There is no Chinese expansion, it's a figment of your own fear. Name me one island in the entire Pacific that wasn't annexed as a Western colony, one island that succeeded in retaining sovereignty during that phase of Western expansion, and then name one where that conqueror was China. I can't see the slightest evidence that China - we can focus on the PRC since 1949 or not, whichever you like - has ever expanded beyond its historical borders.

The reason you're so terrified is that you know full well you live on land where our colonizing ancestors had no right of occupation, which they took by force and have lied ever since to justify the taking. Australia's title to the continent is based on unjustifiable repression and murder and now you're scared someone else might do the same to you. China might end up buying you, but they've shown no sign of invading anyone. Twenty years ago the bogeyman was Indonesia. The only consistent reality throughout is the fear.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

As far as I'm concerned this little tit bit of information convinced me. I'm glad they eventually allowed the truth to be widely reported. We now see how America works it's own parties. How much evidence does one need? Corrupt is all I see. I think America will think back at this day as the first step to it's own destruction, because this gives Trump a voice now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 pm https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/22/ch ... -cold-war/

and it's happening Now.
I'm not sure how you think an article of 4,345 words is going to help, to be honest. It takes me an hour to read that many words and all I really need is a couple of sentences of what you, yourself, have as answers to my very specific brief questions. What it is that China has taken, and has Hong Kong always been a part of China or not? That's all, and I asked them because those are the issues your post raised. I don't need someone else's novella, just a glimpse of what you meant.

There is, of course, China's economic expansion which appears to be entirely what the article you reference is about. Well done China. What there isn't is territorial expansion. Perhaps you didn't mean to imply that China is expanding territorially but it certainly looked like what you were saying.

Other than that, it's sad that you completely ignored what I wrote in response to your comment. I actually thought out what to say.
spot

Post by spot »

"Trump’s acquittal seals his grasp on the Republican party. The former president and his supporters are likely to claim victory as they did after his first impeachment trial a year ago".
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The folks don the block from me were launching fireworks this evening.
Walked down to see what's up.
Sure enough, they're celebrating the acquittal.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Donald has "millions" of loyal followers, that voted for him twice, and they would vote for him again if given the chance.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

It sounds like the Republican party is splintering to make a MAGA/Trump party. Good luck with that, white supremacists. :twisted:
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm It sounds like the Republican party is splintering to make a MAGA/Trump party. Good luck with that, white supremacists. :twisted:
It depends whether anyone will be able to stand for election to Washington during the next four years on a Republican ticket while at the same time disowning Trump. I don't see how that will be possible. I think anyone trying it will face a sea of Trump supporters chanting his name and demanding the candidate be locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snooz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm It sounds like the Republican party is splintering to make a MAGA/Trump party. Good luck with that, white supremacists. :twisted:
Best thing that could happen - split the traditional republicans from the MAGA crowd.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:05 am
Best thing that could happen - split the traditional republicans from the MAGA crowd.

It would split the sheep from the goats so to speak

Return to “General Chit Chat”