Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Hope6

Re: Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

Post by Hope6 »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Hope6 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:12 pm This is a picture of a streetcar conductor during the 1918 flu, refusing to allow a man to get on the streetcar without a mask. Why aren't the businesses today enforcing the wearing of masks? I went to an auto parts store the other day and right on the door it says masks are required to enter. I go in and nobody in the store is wearing a mask. I felt awkward because I was the only one in a mask.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/ ... ALVWFU.jpg
I looked up the Spanish flu for Australia. We were the last to get it because of our isolation from everyone in those days . For us it was a soldier who got off a ship in Melbourne and travelled to Sydney on a train. Next minute all our people were dying. there's footage of the way they handled it . And yes there were the exact same protests back then that there are now. Humans don't change much eh? Or our education hasn't moved much in a hundred years. Great aunt and uncle died from that flu, they were children. It didn't just last one year.

My grandfather had that flu too. He was in his early twenties and they say it almost killed him.
spot

Post by spot »

England is going into a four week lockdown from, probably, Wednesday.

The problem with that is pretty huge. The daily number of positive cases will still be about what it is today, by the end of the four weeks. The number of deaths per day will still be higher. The number in hospital and the number being admitted will still be higher than today. The obvious question will be why the lockdown should be relaxed four weeks from now - there may have been stabilization but there will be no improved prospect.

If the lockdown is relaxed on December 2nd then the growth will just restart from the current level.

The answer is to bring the rate of infection in the country to, ideally, zero, but at least to a small rate. Not to today's rate.

A lockdown isn't capable of doing that, I suspect. I think that because the schools and universities will stay open, for one thing.

The problem can't be solved from where we've got to. The government has already failed and the proposed lockdown isn't going to do anything but buy a little time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 am England is going into a four week lockdown from, probably, Wednesday.

The problem with that is pretty huge. The daily number of positive cases will still be about what it is today, by the end of the four weeks. The number of deaths per day will still be higher. The number in hospital and the number being admitted will still be higher than today. The obvious question will be why the lockdown should be relaxed four weeks from now - there may have been stabilization but there will be no improved prospect.

If the lockdown is relaxed on December 2nd then the growth will just restart from the current level.

The answer is to bring the rate of infection in the country to, ideally, zero, but at least to a small rate. Not to today's rate.

A lockdown isn't capable of doing that, I suspect. I think that because the schools and universities will stay open, for one thing.

The problem can't be solved from where we've got to. The government has already failed and the proposed lockdown isn't going to do anything but buy a little time.
Melbourne was allowed to come out after it got down to 5 ..they are currently on 2.6 I think .I haven't checked todays count.
I can assure you, you are not going into four weeks lockdown, it wouldn't make sense to .The whole lockdown thing is so your hospitals are not overwhelmed (and your morgues) that's it nothing but that. in four weeks guess what they are going to say?...I think you know. 112 days for Victoria and it worked. Yes there were protests Yes there were criticisms. Yes our collective mental health wavered....but it worked. Get used to a lonely Christmas, and empty streets. last week you could see a sense of pride in Vic. towed the line and came out the other end. Seems people don't like dying a horrible horrible death.

If they have a brain in their heads they will keep you lockdown for a few months.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

We have a weak and vacillating cabinet, a Prime Minister who behaves like a headless chicken and a public whose average fundamental pig-ignorance and insensitivity stands unique among the nations of the earth. Even so, I would hope to see the lockdown lifted no earlier than April. What I expect will happen in that it will be made regional. The trouble with regional is that it's guaranteed to be the Northerners who get the harshest orders, and they don't like that up there. They feel picked on.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well the AFL grand final almost went by a week ago with out many giving a toss about it.
Today the Melbourne cup....they say it stops a nation.... I'm not sure it's going to be all that exciting. If people were allowed to attend it would probably be a big occasion but I'm finding humans can do without a lot of things. Sport appears to be one of them.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 pm Well the AFL grand final almost went by a week ago with out many giving a toss about it.
Today the Melbourne cup....they say it stops a nation.... I'm not sure it's going to be all that exciting. If people were allowed to attend it would probably be a big occasion but I'm finding humans can do without a lot of things. Sport appears to be one of them.
That from an Australian? Wonders will never cease :-)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:17 pm
magentaflame wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:30 pm Well the AFL grand final almost went by a week ago with out many giving a toss about it.
Well a lot of Victorians go to the football, Whether it be local or AFL. But we haven't been able to do that. I'm not sure cricket will be affected in the same way because that really is a television kind of sport. Apart from 20/20 (which isn't really cricket. )
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:32 pm
Well a lot of Victorians go to the football, Whether it be local or AFL. But we haven't been able to do that. I'm not sure cricket will be affected in the same way because that really is a television kind of sport. Apart from 20/20 (which isn't really cricket. )
The Big Bash is well named - hit every ball as hard as you can no matter whether your out in the process.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 pm
magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:32 pm
The Big Bash is well named - hit every ball as hard as you can no matter whether your out in the process.
I watched it once. During and afterwards I thought, if you just put two more wickets on the field you could play Softball or Rounders and be done with it. ...I'll stick with the tests thank you very much. Firstly it's the boxing day thing to do and secondly it's real cricket. (I suppose peoples attention span just doesn't cut it these days.) I don't mind one dayers because that's essentially what people play and always have done locally.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Getting back to the Covid stuff though . Yesterday I was going to put $20 dollars on Tiger Moth. logistically though I couldn't get to a TAB to place the flutter I have once every year. Turned on the Racing channel for the first time to watch the race and they'd changed the time it ran. Missed it by 7 minutes. So in agreement with others because it's exhausting trying to find new ways to occupy ourselves during covid we are dingo our own race day. Next Saturday is the end of the racing season so we're having a betting day. Beer, wine, (Port for afters) and nibblies. Form guide, and betting tickets at the ready on saturday morning ..go place bets ..sit back and watch the racing channel, and listen to the radio. it's going to be a dull old day weather wise, so it's the go .

The talk of the election and the individual time zones of members here gives us a good idea of zoom meetings . (trust me after a month of lockdown Zoom and Skype is your new best friend. I can only describe lockdown as akin to being grounded as a teenager .And you know how shitty that was.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:47 pm
May as well hear from the man himself as what's happening in the next couple of weeks. I haven't wanted to share anything in case I mozz the count.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Fantastic stage propping there.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:52 pm Fantastic stage propping there.
this has to be a first. Watching live television on forumgarden. Seriously there was like a two second delay.
spot

Post by spot »

As best I understand this first Western vaccine announcement, 93% of those inoculated gain antibody resistance without symptoms of Trump's Disease.

So, for the UK, doing the math in a simplistic and optimistic fashion -

Assuming everyone over 30 or at risk is inoculated, and nobody under 30 not at risk dies,

and we can extrapolate from all symptomatic patients ("positive cases") so far in this outbreak having experienced 2% mortality in the UK; (the figure at the moment is actually 4% but I'm factoring in better treatment)

and once UK antibody protection reaches 70% of the population, I'm assuming nobody will become infected afterwards;

Then, if no protection or benefit is provided to these 7% who remain with no antibody response after inoculation,

the number of UK deaths additional to those seen so far, after inoculation, might be somewhere around 40,000,

to which we must add those dead already (50,000) and those who will die before they get vaccinated (pick a number. I'll pick 10,000).

Which is 100,000 dead, not bad considering where we might have ended up (by which I mean a quarter of a million dead).

Though it's still double what we would have had with a good initial response to the outbreak, and low case numbers thereafter.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Twelve consecutive days without any new cases or deaths.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 pm Twelve consecutive days without any new cases or deaths.
It's an admirable achievement, and it took a lot of effort.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:33 am
magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:51 pm Twelve consecutive days without any new cases or deaths.
It's an admirable achievement, and it took a lot of effort.
To think that those parents who survived the Spanish flu and probably thought their children who survived a world war were out of the woods so to speak yet eventually to be taken by this covid shit is a sad indictment of our societies. I've heard people say "its just the older people" like it didn't matter, until people in their 50's 40's 30's and 20's began dying. Then suddenly it was serious. Those people will be afraid to grow old now because they will have to live with the same attitude that they once had.

Your lockdown doesn't seem as harsh. I hope everyone does what they are told. The good side of it though is that you're going into winter and people tend not to venture out so much in winter.
spot

Post by spot »

Not one person in a million who survived the Spanish flu lived to see any of their descendants catch the Trump virus.

As for harsh lockdowns I went outdoors this morning for the first time in ten days, to get a flu jab. On a normal day last year I was out walking three or four miles.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:34 pm Not one person in a million who survived the Spanish flu lived to see any of their descendants catch the Trump virus.

As for harsh lockdowns I went outdoors this morning for the first time in ten days, to get a flu jab. On a normal day last year I was out walking three or four miles.
read it again Spot. I didn't say that
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:39 pm
spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:34 pm Not one person in a million who survived the Spanish flu lived to see any of their descendants catch the Trump virus.

Umm... "To think that those parents who survived the Spanish flu and probably thought their children who survived a world war were out of the woods so to speak yet eventually to be taken by this covid shit"? I don't see the point of what they thought if they died thinking it was true. If they thought their children were out of the woods they died happy. Or are we to assume they're looking down horrified.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm still coming to terms with England's deputy chief medical officer's advice to his mother: "Make sure that when you are called you are ready". That might be expected from an evangelical firebrand but it's a bit harsh from a doctor.

Meanwhile, elsewhere,
Thousands of hospital staff will join the drive to vaccinate all adults in England against coronavirus and will be deployed at mass vaccination centres to give the jab to up to 5,000 people a day, NHS officials involved in the plans said.

The NHS intends to use football stadiums, town halls and conference centres in England to inoculate at least 2,000 people each day.

The new facilities will be additional to the 1,560 community-based vaccination centres run by GPs, which will dispense 200 to 500 jabs a day. All the venues will do temperature checks on people before entry allowing space for social distancing and a 15-minute recovery time.

Thousands of hospital staff will join the drive to vaccinate all adults in England against coronavirus and will be deployed at mass vaccination centres to give the jab to up to 5,000 people a day, NHS officials involved in the plans said.

The NHS intends to use football stadiums, town halls and conference centres in England to inoculate at least 2,000 people each day.

The new facilities will be additional to the 1,560 community-based vaccination centres run by GPs, which will dispense 200 to 500 jabs a day. All the venues will do temperature checks on people before entry allowing space for social distancing and a 15-minute recovery time.

I do not understand those numbers. That would immunize 730,000 people a year with two jabs each. They're now talking about everyone 50 or older, plus vulnerable younger people. That must be a minimum of 20 million people to immunize in England, and this proposed rate will take 25 years. Surely they intend to pick up speed at some stage.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 am I'm still coming to terms with England's deputy chief medical officer's advice to his mother: "Make sure that when you are called you are ready". That might be expected from an evangelical firebrand but it's a bit harsh from a doctor.

Meanwhile, elsewhere,

And

I do not understand those numbers. That would immunize 730,000 people a year with two jabs each. They're now talking about everyone 50 or older, plus vulnerable younger people. That must be a minimum of 20 million people to immunize in England, and this proposed rate will take 25 years. Surely they intend to pick up speed at some stage.
So each of those centers would need to employ about 30-40 "Jabbers" to meet a 400 person a day quota.
Of course they would need to have at least a hundred ancillary personnel at each center to manage supplies, manage the Jabbees, and keep track of all of that activity. Another hundred to do the accounting, and supervision.
3-4 years, Piece of cake.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:33 am
So each of those centers would need to employ about 30-40 "Jabbers" to meet a 400 person a day quota.
Of course they would need to have at least a hundred ancillary personnel at each center to manage supplies, manage the Jabbees, and keep track of all of that activity. Another hundred to do the accounting, and supervision.
3-4 years, Piece of cake.
I don't know why they're messing about like this, jobs like this is why we pay for an army.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Umm... "To think that those parents who survived the Spanish flu and probably thought their children who survived a world war were out of the woods so to speak yet eventually to be taken by this covid shit"? I don't see the point of what they thought if they died thinking it was true. If they thought their children were out of the woods they died happy. Or are we to assume they're looking down horrified.
Neither. God you are in such a mood these days! Do I have to think for you?
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Go on then, I'll ask. If you didn't mean that, what on earth did you mean? I can't see any other interpretation.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 am I do not understand those numbers. That would immunize 730,000 people a year with two jabs each. They're now talking about everyone 50 or older, plus vulnerable younger people. That must be a minimum of 20 million people to immunize in England, and this proposed rate will take 25 years. Surely they intend to pick up speed at some stage.
Much like their promise to test everyone who lives or works in Liverpool, half a million people, and the manage twenty three thousand in a day - China manage a city ten times the size in one day.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 pm
magentaflame wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Go on then, I'll ask. If you didn't mean that, what on earth did you mean? I can't see any other interpretation.
You've made that very clear. move on matey, move on.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:06 pm
spot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 am I do not understand those numbers. That would immunize 730,000 people a year with two jabs each. They're now talking about everyone 50 or older, plus vulnerable younger people. That must be a minimum of 20 million people to immunize in England, and this proposed rate will take 25 years. Surely they intend to pick up speed at some stage.
Much like their promise to test everyone who lives or works in Liverpool, half a million people, and the manage twenty three thousand in a day - China manage a city ten times the size in one day.
I blame those vulgar stone-faced hard-boy brutalist advisers in Downing Street, who only have jobs because people in government all go in terror of them. They occupy positions which should by right be civil service posts.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:31 pm
I blame those vulgar stone-faced hard-boy brutalist advisers in Downing Street, who only have jobs because people in government all go in terror of them. They occupy positions which should by right be civil service posts.
He’s leaving by Christmas - apparently.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:26 pm
We seem to have lost both Peter Sutcliffe and ******* ******** in the same week. Peter Sutcliffe was famously on a mission from God. I wonder what Dominic's excuse was.

eta: I'd completely forgotten I'd set the profanity filter, that must have been at least a year ago.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I like your apparently, I also heard the news and said out loud, 'yeah, I bet'. I hope my gut feeling is proved wrong, he needs to just go now.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I had to make a run to the grocer in the next town , yesterday.
To my surprise, every single person in the store was wearing a mask!!!
There is an employee now tasked with reminding people to have mask on before they enter.
Finally!! These people are starting to take this thing seriously.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:32 am
I like your apparently, I also heard the news and said out loud, 'yeah, I bet'. I hope my gut feeling is proved wrong, he needs to just go now.

Hm DC leaving through the famous front door carrying a box.

It all seems a bit staged.
spot

Post by spot »

Staged is a good word for it. Defiant theatre, trying to disguise the fact that he lost the battle.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:46 pm Staged is a good word for it. Defiant theatre, trying to disguise the fact that he lost the battle.
Not that its a public flouncing out the door, whilst sniggering that behind the scenes he'll still be steering the ship?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Although we're supposedly in the middle of a 2nd LockDown, I've not actually noticed any change. If anything the roads seem busier. Kids are hanging around outside the shops in just the same way as they always have. Parents are still mingling whilst they block the roads during the School Run after driving 50m up the road.
spot

Post by spot »

I've been outdoors once this month.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:37 am I've been outdoors once this month.
I'm outdoors a lot.
But we have about 7 acres to wonder around on, and we are at the edge of town. I can walk a couple of miles down the highway and back without actually meeting any other humans.
Of course the weather is shifting, and it's been pretty chilly of late.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Would you need permission if you decide to build a two-floor saloon at the far corner of the plot, with a bike park to the side?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:20 am Would you need permission if you decide to build a two-floor saloon at the far corner of the plot, with a bike park to the side?
We would
But, we have a nice little barn.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:40 am
spot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:20 am Would you need permission if you decide to build a two-floor saloon at the far corner of the plot, with a bike park to the side?
We would
I had Al Swearengen's Deadwood place in mind. I have no idea why I liked that series quite so much. The elegance of the language and the startlingly amazing acting, I expect.

But I'm sure you'd enjoy the ambience if you build the bar and find a pianist.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 am
We would
I had Al Swearengen's Deadwood place in mind. I have no idea why I liked that series quite so much. The elegance of the language and the startlingly amazing acting, I expect.

My bar has one barstool, and a bottle of aged Sour Mash.
That it all it needs, thank you.

If I want to mingle, I go visit the Sinclair station down the street.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 am
We would

It was Shakespearean if Shakespeare cursed like a drunken sailor.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:55 pm It was Shakespearean if Shakespeare cursed like a drunken sailor.
It was done with such educational grace and artistry that clips should have been shown on Sesame Street. But I digress.
spot

Post by spot »

I have a quote from today's Guardian.
Boris Johnson has said there is “every reason” to believe “the worst is nearly behind us” as he seeks to win round a 70-strong group of sceptical Tory MPs to head off a backbench rebellion over Covid-19 curbs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ote-rebels
I've been wondering what he meant. I think he means that around February/March next year the Covid deaths per day, admissions to hospital per day, new positive cases per day and infection rates will be at their highest ever across the UK, but I might be getting it wrong. He might just mean England.

It's all in the "nearly".
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 am England is going into a four week lockdown from, probably, Wednesday.

For the record, the lockdown will end on Wednesday and I was right on all counts except the cases per day - that's now down to what it was at the start of October rather than the end.

But a million and a half students will be headed home for Christmas in a couple of weeks, and every shop in England has been given permission to stay open 24 hours a day through to Christmas unless I failed to grasp some aspect of the rules. We famously have crowded shops this month, it's when shops have sales and people buy Christmas presents. Does anyone think the cases per day won't be the highest to date by the end of December?

What a country.

I note America seems to have failed to bring its numbers down too.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

This might persuade men to wear a mask.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, THAT explains why all the guys at the "locals" table at the cafe were wearing masks, today.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:04 pm Well, THAT explains why all the guys at the "locals" table at the cafe were wearing masks, today.

:)
Cars :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”