Mirrors

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Mirrors

Post by theia »

Why do we have mirrors? Do we really need them or would we behave more naturally without them? Is it necessary to know what others see when they look at us or what we see when we look at our reflection? I’m just wondering ...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Re: Mirrors

Post by Betty Boop »

Are mirrors just a problem when we dislike ourselves?

That is my first reaction to your question.

Teenage years are spent looking into every physical aspect of your person, your hair, your clothes spending hours getting ready to go out making sure every aspect is right before you walk out the door.

Now, it's a quick glance to make sure you look semi ok, nothing caught in your waistband, like your dress or skirt, making sure you don't look like the back end of a bus but you don't look as closely as you did when a teen or you'd see all the lines and grey hair.

I don't think mirrors are a problem, it could be us that's the problem ?
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:10 am Are mirrors just a problem when we dislike ourselves?

Teenage years are spent looking into every physical aspect of your person, your hair, your clothes spending hours getting ready to go out making sure every aspect is right before you walk out the door.

Now, it's a quick glance to make sure you look semi ok, nothing caught in your waistband, like your dress or skirt, making sure you don't look like the back end of a bus but you don't look as closely as you did when a teen or you'd see all the lines and grey hair.

Mirrors are evil when we dislike ourselves :D

Yes, I was thinking about how I’d use mirrors when I was young, they were definitely a necessity. But necessary for what? To ensure that I fitted in my peers, I suppose, or to feel I was attractive to others. And now, it’s a quick glance for the reasons you mention.

But why did we use them originally and how did we know it was a reflection of our self?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

I keep just the one mirror, it's in a locked room which has no door-handle so I'm never tempted to check. The last time I used it was to trim back several months of beard. I used to own a comb too but that was a long while ago when vanity was my besetting sin.

If you go back a couple of hundred years the only people who owned a mirror were the aristocracy and actors. Now that we all have phones with selfie cameras a mirror is probably superfluous.

There's a list of animals that know it's them in a reflection, I'm pretty sure all the apes can do it. http://www.animalcognition.org/2015/04/ ... rror-test/
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

I don't recognize the guy I see in the mirror!

That can't be me, can it? :lol:
Cars :)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I'm OK with the guy I see in the mirror.
I do wish he had more hair, though.
Well, on his head, rather that on his Eyebrows.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

It has been said if you break a mirror, you'll have "bad luck for seven years"! I never paid much attention to that rumor until I accidentally broke a mirror.

Man I found out the hard way, I had the worst luck I've ever had for over 7 years! (So don't break a mirror!! :D )
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:24 pmMan I found out the hard way, I had the worst luck I've ever had for over 7 years! (So don't break a mirror!! :D )
I'm interested. You call it a superstition, for example. Is your social group superstitious? Is it more so than it was when you were younger, or has it not changed much? How does it compare with an outright belief in magic?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

spot wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:56 pm
cars wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:24 pmMan I found out the hard way, I had the worst luck I've ever had for over 7 years! (So don't break a mirror!! :D )
I'm interested. You call it a superstition, for example. Is your social group superstitious? Is it more so than it was when you were younger, or has it not changed much? How does it compare with an outright belief in magic?
Many superstitions are sad to be "old wives tales", to me that's what they were, and after breaking a mirror, I had a string of bad luck for years. Coincidence, maybe, or I was just unlucky, maybe, and
magic, that's more "slight of hand".
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:32 am
Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:10 am Are mirrors just a problem when we dislike ourselves?

Yes, I was thinking about how I’d use mirrors when I was young, they were definitely a necessity. But necessary for what? To ensure that I fitted in my peers, I suppose, or to feel I was attractive to others. And now, it’s a quick glance for the reasons you mention.

But why did we use them originally and how did we know it was a reflection of our self?

Our parents / carers tell us it's us, I wonder how long it would take to work it out as a youngster though, if no one told you.

Do you think you could get rid of all your mirrors and not bother at all anymore?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am
theia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:32 am

Our parents / carers tell us it's us, I wonder how long it would take to work it out as a youngster though, if no one told you.

Do you think you could get rid of all your mirrors and not bother at all anymore?
It goes back to pond water, I think. People figured that stuff out a long while back.
- DH Lawrence
theia

Post by theia »

I’m wondering if we would feel more natural within ourselves if we didn’t value what a reflection appears to tell us.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am I’m wondering if we would feel more natural within ourselves if we didn’t value what a reflection appears to tell us.
Quite probably we would, when you look in the mirror you pick out all the bits you dislike and that's all you seem to focus on. You might notice that actually you have an hourglass figure, great hair and eyes but all you focus on as you move away from the mirror are the bits you hate.
Stop the use of mirrors and the only information you'd have fed to you about you is what other people tell you 'wow, most women would kill for a figure like yours' or 'your eyes are amazing' or 'is that your natural hair colour' would generally be the normal.

But a further scenario is, some people can and will be rude and point out your negatives.

Long term where will you focus, on the good things or on the bad things?
cars

Post by cars »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 am
theia wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 am I’m wondering if we would feel more natural within ourselves if we didn’t value what a reflection appears to tell us.
Quite probably we would, when you look in the mirror you pick out all the bits you dislike and that's all you seem to focus on. You might notice that actually you have an hourglass figure, great hair and eyes but all you focus on as you move away from the mirror are the bits you hate.
Stop the use of mirrors and the only information you'd have fed to you about you is what other people tell you 'wow, most women would kill for a figure like yours' or 'your eyes are amazing' or 'is that your natural hair colour' would generally be the normal.

But a further scenario is, some people can and will be rude and point out your negatives.
Long term where will you focus, on the good things or on the bad things?
That's when you really need a mirror, to judge for yourself to see if what they are saying is true or really that bad, or that they are just sour grapes! ;)
cars

Post by cars »

As I was looking in the mirror combing my hair this morning, I wondered how would I be able to comb it if I couldn't see it?

Conversely, how could women style their hair and or put rollers or pins or whatever in the hair if they didn't look in a mirror?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

theia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 am Why do we have mirrors? Do we really need them or would we behave more naturally without them? Is it necessary to know what others see when they look at us or what we see when we look at our reflection? I’m just wondering ...

It doesn't matter. the way a person sees themselves physically is not how others see us. That's why most people hate seeing themselves in photographs.....yep ...that's what you really look like.
I have two mirrors in my house for two reasons. in the bathroom shoulder head height, so I don't poke my eye out when putting mascara or eye liner on. The newly acquisitioned one is on the door of my bedroom for precisely the reasons Betty described. Other than that we really don't need them. But I live alone so there's nobody to tell me if my tie is on straight. :lol:
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 pm
theia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 am Why do we have mirrors? Do we really need them or would we behave more naturally without them? Is it necessary to know what others see when they look at us or what we see when we look at our reflection? I’m just wondering ...

It doesn't matter. the way a person sees themselves physically is not how others see us. That's why most people hate seeing themselves in photographs.....yep ...that's what you really look like.
I have two mirrors in my house for two reasons. in the bathroom shoulder head height, so I don't poke my eye out when putting mascara or eye liner on. The newly acquisitioned one is on the door of my bedroom for precisely the reasons Betty described. Other than that we really don't need them. But I live alone so there's nobody to tell me if my tie is on straight. :lol:
Or if your skirt is tucked in your knickers...
cars

Post by cars »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 am

:mrgreen:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 am

we've all been there . :lol:
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

Used a mirror today holding it in my hand to hold and look behind my Fridge to check if plug securely pushed into socket. It was. Fridge in tight space, difficult to pull out.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

We have to look in the mirror to make sure we've combed our hair correctly. :D
cars

Post by cars »

Looked at (in) a "10" X mirror today, SCARY!! :lol:
cars

Post by cars »

Drove by a mirror truck today carrying Big mirrors strapped to the side of the truck. As I passed I saw trees in the mirror as they were angled up faced towards the trees. Seemed funny.
cars

Post by cars »

Put up Christmas lights decorations in the house across from a mirror on the opposite wall, thus giving the illusion of twice the lights! :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I was told as a kid to never go out with a man that needs a mirror more than you do. :D
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm I was told as a kid to never go out with a man that needs a mirror more than you do. :D
I won't have them in the house.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I've always been fascinated with them.
I used to enjoy watching other people in the mirror at the office.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

It's also kind of fun to take my laser pointer up to the top of the stairs and shine it so it reflects from the mirror onto the floor, downstairs. The cats have the time of their lives with that.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm I've always been fascinated with them.
Okay that just got creepy
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:23 pm
LarsMac wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm I've always been fascinated with them.
Okay that just got creepy
Why is that?
People are the most fascinating when they don't know that they are being watched.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I stand at shop windows and watch reflections. That has to be more polite than quizzing people.

OED, for those who find the wording strange... "to peer inquisitively at; to watch or examine closely, to interrogate with the eyes, study", derived perhaps from inquisitive.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I find it interesting that mirrors reflect left to right, but not top to bottom.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:51 am I find it interesting that mirrors reflect left to right, but not top to bottom.
You're symmetrical left/right, you're not symmetrical top/bottom. If you had one eye on your chin and the other... no, let's not explore that.
cars

Post by cars »

mirrors can make you

Happy

or

Sad
cars

Post by cars »

We bought a full length wall mirror today.

May have been a mistake! :lol:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:26 pm We bought a full length wall mirror today.

May have been a mistake! :lol:
I saw myself in a shop window two days ago. Just a little confused with what I saw.

I went home to investigate properly..........My bedroom mirror is one of those slimming ones.

BUGGER! I didn't know. :oops: :cry:
spot

Post by spot »

I had no idea such devices existed, I must buy one immediately!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:09 am I had no idea such devices existed, I must buy one immediately!
Quite depressing when you think you look a particular way and that image doesn't exist. I bought the mirror because it was cheap. I didn't know what kind it was .
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

When the mirror and my self image disagree, I ignore the mirror
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 am When the mirror and my self image disagree, I ignore the mirror
Sadly I can't afford to do that. I found this episode really interesting. The problem was the more I thought about it the more my brain wants to explode.

spot

Post by spot »

"Video unavailable: This video contains content from Fremantle International, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

oh sorry...that's right you can't see the content from your own country. It was the QI episode 8 series 18 called R 'reflections' which explains the mirror thingy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:44 pm "
spot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm "Video unavailable: This video contains content from Fremantle International, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
"
oh sorry...that's right you can't see the content from your own country. It was the QI episode 8 series 18 called R 'reflections' which explains the mirror thingy.
That's rather curious?
The Copyright bit, I mean. Why can a brit not see the British media bit on YT?

The mirror bit, I picked up on decades ago.

I've seen a few of those Qi episode. They are very entertaining.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am
spot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm "Video unavailable: This video contains content from Fremantle International, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
"
That's rather curious?

There's plenty that Im not allowed to see locally made in my country. The reasoning behind it baffles me unless it's an economic reason. Royaltiies?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am
"
That's rather curious?

Because one of the UK channels holds the exclusive rights to broadcast it in the UK.
spot

Post by spot »

Copyright is theft.
cars

Post by cars »

Money can, and is made in many illegal ways! :)
cars

Post by cars »

If you are looking at a mirror image in the mirror, what do you see? :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:11 pm If you are looking at a mirror image in the mirror, what do you see? :)
That's very Zen cars.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 pm
magentaflame wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm I was told as a kid to never go out with a man that needs a mirror more than you do. :D
I won't have them in the house.
Spot are you a vampire? :twisted:

Return to “General Chit Chat”