Cold and Flu relief

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
devist8me

Cold and Flu relief

Post by devist8me »

They say there is no way to lesson the time of these ailments and you can only treat the symptoms while it "runs it's course".

Do you all have any tried and true concoctions that seem to help your symptoms?

I'll start: Mucinex, Sudafed (not the fake, the real stuff you have to sign for and show your ID to the pharmacist, flonase and Nyguil (when you sleep).

Also, it's been a hell of a week
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

devist8me;1530697 wrote: They say there is no way to lesson the time of these ailments and you can only treat the symptoms while it "runs it's course".

Do you all have any tried and true concoctions that seem to help your symptoms?

I'll start: Mucinex, Sudafed (not the fake, the real stuff you have to sign for and show your ID to the pharmacist, flonase and Nyguil (when you sleep).

Also, it's been a hell of a week

Nyquil so I can sleep at night, and Nasacort to keep the sniffling down in the day time.

Avoid unnecessary human contact, and work from home.

I actually have not had a case of the flu, or a cold since 2014, when I shared a flight from New York to Denver with several dozen hacking, coughing, sneezing passengers.

I take lots of Vitamin C and Zinc, and drink a lot of water and fruit juices(unsweetened) to stay hydrated. It seems to work.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lemsip Max and Night Nurse do it for me.
spot

Cold and Flu relief

Post by spot »

I prefer the suffering, it's educational. I've only had one cold in the last couple of years, picked up on a five hour train ride.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

I accept that aging causes one to nap more and sleep less. That works for me, though being self-employed affords me the flexibility to accept that. I dislike waking up with the medicine-head caused by sleep aids.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1530703 wrote: I prefer the suffering, it's educational. I've only had one cold in the last couple of years, picked up on a five hour train ride.

Not at the moment it’s not - I’ve a wisdom tooth that will have to be cut out and it’s developed an abscess whilst I’ve been waiting. I’ve lost near half a stone so far ‘cos I can’t eat and even co-codamol every four hours does not touch the pain. Hopefully the anti-biotics will take the swelling down soon.
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

Tooth abscess is the worst. I feel for you. The good thing is that the antibiotics usually work fairly quick. Good luck.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1530722 wrote: Tooth abscess is the worst. I feel for you. The good thing is that the antibiotics usually work fairly quick. Good luck.

Second day and no joy so far - trouble is I left it too long.
spot

Cold and Flu relief

Post by spot »

It is a dreadful thing to have. Mine still shows up on x-rays from where they packed it with amalgam at a guess, fifty years ago. They had to cut in high above the gum to get there. You can expect a black eye too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1530723 wrote: Second day and no joy so far - trouble is I left it too long.Funny how that happens. It feels tolerable enough for a time and then Wham-O - all of a sudden it's impossible to deal with. I've been there. It appears to be a genetic issue within my family, teeth going bad. Lots of root canals & caps at around $2,000.00 per tooth or extraction for $200.00 total.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1530712 wrote: I accept that aging causes one to nap more and sleep less. That works for me, though being self-employed affords me the flexibility to accept that. I dislike waking up with the medicine-head caused by sleep aids.

I almost never nap. I go to sleep around midnight, and wake when the Sun tops the horizon.

Some times, in the summer, when Ol' Sol is showing around 0430, I need to find the occasional mid-afternoon Nap, though.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Cold and Flu relief

Post by tabby »

devist8me, I don't usually take any medication when I have a cold because I find more often than not that it makes me feel even more tired and sluggish than I would otherwise.

Sometimes after a bad cold, I've been left with a cough which can keep me awake at night. I found a "recipe" online that I want to try next time that happens. Since I found it, I haven't had the opportunity to test it so i can't vouch for it but here it is in case anyone can use it:

I once had a coworker who told me that a spoonful of sugar doused with blackberry whisky would cure a cough. I tried it and although it felt like my throat was on fire to swallow it, it did help!
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1530799 wrote: devist8me, I don't usually take any medication when I have a cold because I find more often than not that it makes me feel even more tired and sluggish than I would otherwise.

Sometimes after a bad cold, I've been left with a cough which can keep me awake at night. I found a "recipe" online that I want to try next time that happens. Since I found it, I haven't had the opportunity to test it so i can't vouch for it but here it is in case anyone can use it:

I once had a coworker who told me that a spoonful of sugar doused with blackberry whisky would cure a cough. I tried it and although it felt like my throat was on fire to swallow it, it did help!We call this a 'hot toddie'.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1530799 wrote: devist8me, I don't usually take any medication when I have a cold because I find more often than not that it makes me feel even more tired and sluggish than I would otherwise.

I once had a coworker who told me that a spoonful of sugar doused with blackberry whisky would cure a cough. I tried it and although it felt like my throat was on fire to swallow it, it did help!

That is good for a cold/cough. Though I usually replace the water with fresh-brewed tea.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Cold and Flu relief

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1530800 wrote: We call this a 'hot toddie'.

I've heard of hot toddies but didn't realize this was one! It sounds good enough to not wait for a cough.
tabby

Cold and Flu relief

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1530801 wrote: That is good for a cold/cough. Though I usually replace the water with fresh-brewed tea.

Whenever I see alcohol used as a medicinal treatment, I always think of Granny and her "rhumatiz" medicine on "The Beverly Hillbillies".
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1530812 wrote: I've heard of hot toddies but didn't realize this was one! It sounds good enough to not wait for a cough.Yes it does. Like LM, I've used tea instead of plain water, though the lemon water sounds tasty too.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Cold and Flu relief

Post by tabby »

Bryn Mawr;1530719 wrote: Not at the moment it’s not - I’ve a wisdom tooth that will have to be cut out and it’s developed an abscess whilst I’ve been waiting. I’ve lost near half a stone so far ‘cos I can’t eat and even co-codamol every four hours does not touch the pain. Hopefully the anti-biotics will take the swelling down soon.

That sounds absolutely miserable and I hope your discomfort has been eased by now. What an ordeal that must be!
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1530815 wrote: That sounds absolutely miserable and I hope your discomfort has been eased by now. What an ordeal that must be!

My referral to the dental surgeon originally came through for June! I now have a cancellation for them to cut it out tomorrow morning as long as the infection has gone down enough - I’m not convinced as I still cannot open my mouth far enough to eat without bad pain. Not the agony it was but bad enough to restrict me to slop.
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1530819 wrote: My referral to the dental surgeon originally came through for June! I now have a cancellation for them to cut it out tomorrow morning as long as the infection has gone down enough - I’m not convinced as I still cannot open my mouth far enough to eat without bad pain. Not the agony it was but bad enough to restrict me to slop.

Lower, or upper?

I went through that with an upper wisdom tooth some years back. The dentist suggested that I get them all at the time, and I never regretted following his recommendation.

...Well, maybe during the week following the procedure.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1530826 wrote: Lower, or upper?

I went through that with an upper wisdom tooth some years back. The dentist suggested that I get them all at the time, and I never regretted following his recommendation.

...Well, maybe during the week following the procedure.

Lower, right at the back - not much left of the tooth but very strong roots underneath the gum line.
Ahso!

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Ahso! »

The efficiency and ease they do extractions these days, it's hard to imagine any difficulty getting it out. You'll feel like a new man by tomorrow night. Get some of those pain-killers. Not many, just enough to get some enjoyment out of all that suffering you've been through.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1530830 wrote: Lower, right at the back - not much left of the tooth but very strong roots underneath the gum line.

Ow! Sorry you have to deal with that.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1530830 wrote: Lower, right at the back - not much left of the tooth but very strong roots underneath the gum line.

Ouchie, good luck tomorrow, hope it's reduced enough they can remove it, will feel amazing once its gone.

I'd rather do childbirth with no pain relief than that sort of tooth pain.
Betty Boop

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Betty Boop »

Vick's Vapour rub smothered on chest and back and ibuprofen or paracetamol to take the edge off it's very bad.
tabby

Cold and Flu relief

Post by tabby »

How are you feeling after the oral surgery, Bryn?
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1530981 wrote: How are you feeling after the oral surgery, Bryn?

Bruised and battered but at least he managed to remove it this time :-)

The first attempt was just total agony, the anaesthetic didn’t take and I was unable to open my mouth far enough because of the infected jaw.
LarsMac

Cold and Flu relief

Post by LarsMac »

glad you're getting through that.

Word of caution: Stay away from popcorn.

I went to the movies a couple of days after my last extraction.

I am still getting remnants out of the gum.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Cold and Flu relief

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1530997 wrote: glad you're getting through that.

Word of caution: Stay away from popcorn.

I went to the movies a couple of days after my last extraction.

I am still getting remnants out of the gum.

You’ve seen my results on the Monday quiz, don’t do movies or popcorn :wah:
devist8me

Cold and Flu relief

Post by devist8me »

Same here. Spent a couple small fortunes on this mouth of mine, only to have a tooth yanked once a year or more. Dentist's are evil money-suckers

Ahso!;1530728 wrote: Funny how that happens. It feels tolerable enough for a time and then Wham-O - all of a sudden it's impossible to deal with. I've been there. It appears to be a genetic issue within my family, teeth going bad. Lots of root canals & caps at around $2,000.00 per tooth or extraction for $200.00 total.
devist8me

Cold and Flu relief

Post by devist8me »

Depends on the tooth on how hard it is to remove, especially the back ones with usually longer and stronger roots. Also, harder to remove if the root is crooked (I found out last time) And.....if your tooth emamel is weak, it could break during extraction so that tooth is removed but root is still there.

ALSO.....fun fact....if you have american indian heritage in your genetics, usual injection sites for numbing will not work. The nerve system winds around your lower jaw a certain way and requires an unusual method of injection.

I'm suddently astounded by how much I know about dental work.

Return to “General Chit Chat”