My Daily Stop at FG

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Saint_

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by Saint_ »

My school system has some pretty strict filters. To authenticate past them, you go to a site that is blocked and enter credentials, after that the web is only moderately filtered for the next 8 hours.

Guess where I go every morning at 7:30 AM? Forumgarden! It's my morning routine. I check out the new threads and browse around for a few minutes before getting to work.

So when and why do you come here?
devist8me

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by devist8me »

I usually come here after work to catch up and respond to posts I've started.

10 years ago or so, I came here as my only source of social interaction because I was basically homebound with 2 in diapers.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
tude dog

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by tude dog »

Like to exchange (argue) views Never know what somebody is going to post.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Betty Boop

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by Betty Boop »

Bit similar to Devist8me, was stuck home with little ones, pre 2005. Initially on dial up and in secret from the ex husband because outside communication other than what he approved of wasn't allowed.

Been here off and on ever since, watched it through it's own boom years and witnessed all the fall outs.

Now I come by daily to check there's not all out war going on.
chocoholic

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by chocoholic »

I remember when I first joined it was brimming with posters and I used to post in lots of threads.

Left for a while due to family circumstances and illness but since coming back last year I visit daily and read most threads but only post regularly in a few, still enjoy the visits though.
cars

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by cars »

Back in 2004, I was getting ready to retire in the next year, from my life long job. I was fairly successful. I was petrified, and was scared to death to retire. Working at my job was all I ever knew. I was not sleeping, was very nervous, stopped eating, and was making myself sick. My wife suggested I go on the web and see if I could get to talk someone that had already retired, and see how they handled it. Somehow I stumbled on to FG, (luckily for me) and posted my problem. I got many replies from the friendly helpful FG members. They made me realize my job was "what I did". It was "not who I was"! They assured me there was life after retirement. It made me feel like things would be OK. They were right, and now for the life of me, I can't imagine ever having had to work! Don't miss it at all, retirement is great, and LIFE IS GRAND! Unfortunately, most of those people who helped me at the time I needed it are no longer at FG. I still like to drop in here, and do. (I can't stay on line too long, as it hurts my eyes if I do.)
Cars :)
Saint_

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by Saint_ »

cars;1531031 wrote: Back in 2004, I was getting ready to retire in the next year, from my life long job. I was fairly successful. I was petrified, and was scared to death to retire. Working at my job was all I ever knew. I was not sleeping, was very nervous, stopped eating, and was making myself sick. My wife suggested I go on the web and see if I could get to talk someone that had already retired, and see how they handled it. Somehow I stumbled on to FG, (luckily for me) and posted my problem. I got many replies from the friendly helpful FG members. They made me realize my job was "what I did". It was "not who I was"! They assured me there was life after retirement. It made me feel like things would be OK. They were right, and now for the life of me, I can't imagine ever having had to work! Don't miss it at all, retirement is great, and LIFE IS GRAND! Unfortunately, most of those people who helped me at the time I needed it are no longer at FG. I still like to drop in here, and do. (I can't stay on line too long, as it hurts my eyes if I do.)

Wow! Thanks for that excellent post cars! I'm going to retire myself in three years and I am having the same dread and fear you describe! Glad to know that retirement won't be a drag! What do you do to keep busy, though? Or am I still thinking wrong-headed?
LarsMac

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1531034 wrote: Wow! Thanks for that excellent post cars! I'm going to retire myself in three years and I am having the same dread and fear you describe! Glad to know that retirement won't be a drag! What do you do to keep busy, though? Or am I still thinking wrong-headed?

I just retired last summer. A friend of mine retired a few years ago. Two years back we stopped to visit him in his new home in Ohio.

He said, "I've been so busy I wonder how I ever had time for work."

Well I never really got what he meant by that until this last seven months.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

My Daily Stop at FG

Post by cars »

Saint_;1531034 wrote: Wow! Thanks for that excellent post cars! I'm going to retire myself in three years and I am having the same dread and fear you describe! Glad to know that retirement won't be a drag! What do you do to keep busy, though? Or am I still thinking wrong-headed?

Well for starters, the last 14 or 15 years while still working (at the wise urging of my wife, she was looking to the future) I socked away between 8 to 10% of my salary in my 401K savings plan. And my company matched 50 cents on the dollar. I retired at a six figure salary, so that made me financially stable. Because "time" without "money", can be tiring. Just as "money", without time, is frustrating. You need an equal balance. Anyway as to what I do, I like to fish, local, & deep sea, golf, bowling, sight seeing trips, go on cruses, travel, visit friends & relatives, go out to eat 4 or 5 times a week, go to the beach, and sometimes, even just rest! :) So Look forward, to enjoying you eventual retirement. I'm sure You'll love it, you'll see!
Cars :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”