Jonathan Miller and Clive James, RIP

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

This week has seen the death of two of Britain's cultural leviathans. There are few left who could stand alongside them. Melvyn Bragg would be one, nobody else springs immediately to mind.

Jonathan Miller brightened the dawn of political satire in this country at a time when the world shifted on its pivot. He then educated the viewing public, often drawing on his training as a doctor. He invigorated European opera. That's three lifetimes of pinnacle achievement in parallel.

Clive James carried a distinctive voice into his newspaper criticism columns, performance, songwriting, novels, autobiography and his lifelong craft of poetry, each of which was clearly his own. In any of those areas he had few who drew comparison.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1528154 wrote: This week has seen the death of two of Britain's cultural leviathans. There are few left who could stand alongside them. Melvyn Bragg would be one, nobody else springs immediately to mind.

Jonathan Miller brightened the dawn of political satire in this country at a time when the world shifted on its pivot. He then educated the viewing public, often drawing on his training as a doctor. He invigorated European opera. That's three lifetimes of pinnacle achievement in parallel.

Clive James carried a distinctive voice into his newspaper criticism columns, performance, songwriting, novels, autobiography and his lifelong craft of poetry, each of which was clearly his own. In any of those areas he had few who drew comparison.

A massive loss in both cases, Clive James’ collaboration with Pete Aitkins in particular was iconic.

Return to “General Chit Chat”