The Philosophy of Pooh

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

I have to put on another 10 min Presentation next week on someone who has influenced me.

Rather than the obvious choices I have selected Winnie the Pooh as my character of choice.

Reasons:

A Light Hearted Subject.

A Character Familiar to All.

Pooh Has a Deeper Philosophy of Life.

Innocent & Logical Thought.

Interaction with Mental Health (Eeyore is clearly a Manic Depressive).

I would intend to open with an image of A. A. Milne as the character who has influenced me, but then move on to his creation of Pooh, as the REAL character.

I plan to incorporate some of the following Pooh-isms:

"It's best to know what you are looking for before you look for it".

"You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?"

"A good reason for going to see everybody is because it’s Thursday."

"Some people care too much. I think it’s called love."

"Do a good thing to do without thinking about it."

"When you get a sinking feeling, don’t worry, it’s probably because you’re hungry."

"Don't be late for whatever you want to be in time for."

"If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear."

"The most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you"

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day."

Can you come up with some suggestions on this subject that I could incorporate.

I've put together a few images of Pooh & his friends for a PowerPoint presentation. If you have any suggested images, by all means include them.

The presentation is as part of an Assessment for a position of Trainer dealing with Gas & Electricity (Smart Metering) Customer Service Advisors.
LarsMac

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by LarsMac »

What a great idea

My favorite Pooh saying:

Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1527955 wrote: What a great idea

My favorite Pooh saying:

Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart

On the walls of the Break Rooms at work there is the quote 'A Yawn Is A Silent Scream For Coffee'. I intend to open my PowerPoint Presentation with a photo of this & relate it to the Pooh-ism 'When you get a sinking feeling, don’t worry, it’s probably because you’re hungry'. I also think the one 'If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear' is perfect to encourage Customer Service Advisors to be more tolerant of some of the more ignorant customers we get calling.

You see, although I intend it to be light hearted I also want it to be relevant to the job, as well as to the more serious matters, such as how Pooh is very understanding towards matters of Mental Health & not talking down to people, but to listen to them & try to understand where they're coming from. He is humble (a Bear of very little brain) and more than anything else wants to make others happy.
chocoholic

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by chocoholic »

I like this, here's my favourite Pooh quote -

This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever. In its place is something that you have left behind. Let it be something good.”
Raphael

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Raphael »

Just got back from the bathroom after honking all that cloying sweetness and sentimentality .

Still , lifting wholesale from the internet does have a huge time and effort advantage .

Cannot see anything about the time when his smothered grunts translated into ---- that

Tigger is truly a Mother F***er .
Bryn Mawr

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Raphael;1527970 wrote: Just got back from the bathroom after honking all that cloying sweetness and sentimentality .

Still , lifting wholesale from the internet does have a huge time and effort advantage .

Cannot see anything about the time when his smothered grunts translated into ---- that

Tigger is truly a Mother F***er .

You just don’t know when to stop digging do you, goodbye.
Saint_

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Saint_ »

Whoops. And I barely got to know Raphael...but that seems to be for the best. As for Four part - What a wonderful idea! Despite Raphael's negativity, I love Tigger's energy! (He's my mascot) I'll definitely figure out how to upload some stuff later today!

Good luck!

Attached files
spot

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by spot »

FourPart;1527952 wrote: I plan to incorporate some of the following Pooh-isms:

I have a slight note of caution. I've no idea where your list came from but I guarantee A A Milne never wrote one line of what you've got there. What is a Pooh-ism, if it's not a quote from one of the five Pooh books? It may be that they're easier to incorporate in your ten minutes in which case they're fine, but try not to refer to them as quotes.

Raphael's gone now, I hope you can put that rubbish disturbance behind you.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

spot;1527981 wrote: I have a slight note of caution. I've no idea where your list came from but I guarantee A A Milne never wrote one line of what you've got there. What is a Pooh-ism, if it's not a quote from one of the five Pooh books? It may be that they're easier to incorporate in your ten minutes in which case they're fine, but try not to refer to them as quotes.

Raphael's gone now, I hope you can put that rubbish disturbance behind you.

Actually, most of them I can remember from my childhood. In fact I was talking to my Manager earlier today to get some feedback on the idea. He's a big Pooh fan as well, and when I read the opening of a few of them he finished the quote.

The main reason I chose Pooh is that it's light hearted, and familiar to all. It can also be relateable to so many aspects of Customer Service. Speaking to Customers on their own level. Eeyore the Manic Depressive. Tigger - with ADHD. Rabbit, the Single Mum. And all with the sole intention to help people & getting that feeling of self satisfaction when he succeeds.

You can tell I love my job, can't you.
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

Doing a bit more research I came across this one...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80580/
spot

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by spot »

FourPart;1528028 wrote: Doing a bit more research I came across this one...

I had most of that, growing up. The malt extract unusual feeding practices, the lack of parental supervision, the educational problems, anxiety disorders like you'd not believe. I'm surprised I can function. Quite what women see in me I'm not sure.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1528028 wrote: Doing a bit more research I came across this one...

That's brilliant, particularly love

'Kanga may prove to be one of those exceptional single mothers who show a natural resilience — an ability, if we may say so, to bounce back. Maybe Kanga will pass her high school equivalency test, earn a university degree and maybe even get an MBA. Perhaps some day Kanga will buy the Hundred Acre Wood and develop it into a gated community of $500 000 homes. But that is not likely to happen, particularly in a social context that does not appear to value education and provides no strong female leadership.'

how relevant is that lol (wish the bloody smileys worked)
spot

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by spot »

FourPart;1528024 wrote: Actually, most of them I can remember from my childhood.

Right, I've worked out why I can't locate them. The quotes you show are paraphrases rather than words from the original books.

For example,

Now, he thought he would begin the Hunt by looking for Piglet, and asking him what they were looking for before he looked for it.

has turned into

It's best to know what you are looking for before you look for it

and

"It's your fault, Eeyore. You've never been to see any of us. You just stay here in this one corner of the Forest waiting for the others to come to you. Why don't you go to them sometimes?"

has turned into

You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.

and so on. The sense does appear to be unchanged.

"I like talking to Rabbit. He talks about sensible things. He doesn't use long, difficult words, like Owl. He uses short, easy words, like 'What about lunch?' and 'Help yourself, Pooh.'

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?

"We'll go because it's Thursday," he said

A good reason for going to see everybody is because it’s Thursday.

nothing in the original turns into

Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.

This is exact!: she would do a Good Thing to Do without thinking about it.

Do a good thing to do without thinking about it.

He had had that sinking feeling before, and he knew what it meant. He was hungry.

When you get a sinking feeling, don’t worry, it’s probably because you’re hungry.

"But we mustn't stop now, or we shall be late." "Late for what?" "For whatever we want to be in time for," said Tigger

Don't be late for whatever you want to be in time for.

"haven't you been listening to what Rabbit was saying?" "I listened, but I had a small piece of fluff in my ear.

If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.

But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing

The most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you

"How do you do Nothing?" asked Pooh, after he had wondered for a long time. "Well, it's when people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, What are you going to do, Christopher Robin, and you say, Oh, nothing, and then you go and do it."

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

Well, I've done the PowerPoint Presentation & have been rehearsing my draft script. I've had to cut it down a lot because of time constraints. I have 10 mins. The best I've managed so far is 9:45, which I think is more than adequate.

I've also put together a little leaflet with 4 questions on it to hand out afterwards, in order to test Learning Outcomes (something I failed to do last time):

1. Who illustrated Milne's books?

2. What was the name of A. A. Milne's Son, for whom the books were written?

3. What is the name of the real life location where the Hundred Acre Wood and the Pooh Sticks Bridge iare to be found?

4. What other Core Values th at Pooh has do you feel relate to Customer Service?
spot

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by spot »

FourPart;1528080 wrote: 1. Who illustrated Milne's books?

2. What was the name of A. A. Milne's Son, for whom the books were written?

3. What is the name of the real life location where the Hundred Acre Wood and the Pooh Sticks Bridge iare to be found?

4. What other Core Values th at Pooh has do you feel relate to Customer Service?
I can do them - E H Shepard? and Christopher Robin - he was a bookseller, if I remember right. And I've been to Ashdown Forest, and Pooh had an enquiring mind. He was full of curiosity. He wanted to find out.
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

spot;1528081 wrote: I can do them - E H Shepard? and Christopher Robin - he was a bookseller, if I remember right. And I've been to Ashdown Forest, and Pooh had an enquiring mind. He was full of curiosity. He wanted to find out.

100% Correct. Gold Star to that boy. Although I was disappointed that only 1 in the group remembered Ashdown Forest.

I did the presentation yesterday and although I'm bound to be biased, I seriously believe mine was the best received of the lot. There were 6 of us there. The others did Dawn French, Jimi Hendrix, Nikola Tesla, Her Dad, and Del Boy, and with the best will in the world you could sense the boredom & non-relatability. I deliberately started mine in the same vein, with the introduction that there were so many to choose from. Stephen Hawking, for his contribution to Modern Science & never say die attitude. Gareth Malone, for the way he has changed the Public Perspective on Choirs. Bill Bullen (CEO of Utilita), as the job has really made a massive impact on my life. After all, never in any job previously would I ever have dreamed of going for a position like this. And finally, my Mum. After all, whose Mum hasn't made a major influence on their lives. Then I went onto the next picture (still blank faces) Alan Alexander Milne (some signs of recognition)... Creator of... My Hero... WINNIE THE POOH. And instantly I could feel the positive reaction warming to me. I also kept a check on time. I went over the 10 mins - by 4 seconds. I felt brilliant.

The next question, though, is if the deciding panel felt the same way. Now to see if I get to the next stage of making the interview.
Betty Boop

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1528185 wrote: 100% Correct. Gold Star to that boy. Although I was disappointed that only 1 in the group remembered Ashdown Forest.

I did the presentation yesterday and although I'm bound to be biased, I seriously believe mine was the best received of the lot. There were 6 of us there. The others did Dawn French, Jimi Hendrix, Nikola Tesla, Her Dad, and Del Boy, and with the best will in the world you could sense the boredom & non-relatability. I deliberately started mine in the same vein, with the introduction that there were so many to choose from. Stephen Hawking, for his contribution to Modern Science & never say die attitude. Gareth Malone, for the way he has changed the Public Perspective on Choirs. Bill Bullen (CEO of Utilita), as the job has really made a massive impact on my life. After all, never in any job previously would I ever have dreamed of going for a position like this. And finally, my Mum. After all, whose Mum hasn't made a major influence on their lives. Then I went onto the next picture (still blank faces) Alan Alexander Milne (some signs of recognition)... Creator of... My Hero... WINNIE THE POOH. And instantly I could feel the positive reaction warming to me. I also kept a check on time. I went over the 10 mins - by 4 seconds. I felt brilliant.

The next question, though, is if the deciding panel felt the same way. Now to see if I get to the next stage of making the interview.

Brilliant and well done to you!

Will keep everything crossed for you, Good Luck!
Bryn Mawr

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1528185 wrote:

Sounds very positive, I’m betting they’ll go for it :-)
FourPart

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by FourPart »

Got the reply today. Didn't even make the interview. I don't get it.
spot

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by spot »

That must be very dispiriting after all the work and thinking you put into it. Human Resources has always been low on my list of respectable people.
Bryn Mawr

The Philosophy of Pooh

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1528239 wrote: Got the reply today. Didn't even make the interview. I don't get it.

Keep trying, the cream will rise to the top eventually.

Return to “General Chit Chat”