Reeding Allowed

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

I'm just puzzling over a puzzle, bear with me. Pretend I'm talking to myself, that being my immediate purpose.

Checking my diary I find that over the last three months I've red aloud several significant chunks of the Bible. The puzzle is which bit to reed next. If it were just to myself I'd press on regardless but the audience is eight and keen, in an hour or so, to hear what happens next.

So far he's had... I'm going to have to get a list, hang on.

Aloud, mind. Bedtime reeding mostly.

Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers. He especially likes lists with patterns so he was in his element with those.

Then we skipped Deuteronomy to avoid repetition.

Joshua Judges and then we skipped Ruth as adult-themed.

1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, skipped Chronicles.

We had a whale of a time in Ezra and Nehemiah with lots of interpolative exposition on slavery in Babylon and Cyrus the Great.

We have not as yet gone near Tobit, Judith, Esther, 1 and 2 Maccabees, Job, the Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, especially not the Song of Songs, Wisdom and Sirach.

I set aside Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Baruch, Ezekiel and Daniel for later.

Similarly there's a group we have not set foot in with the exception of Jonah because Jonah is fun. We deferred Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.

We have crucified Jesus the obligatory four times with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John though we took a break in the middle by reeding the Book of Revelations to make the idea of the end time a bit more clear. It provided the back-story motivation for getting crucified, I thought.

We then traversed the whole of the Acts of the Apostles, at which point I have vetoed the subsequent output of Paul as over-complicated for anyone eight years old so he's just going to have to wait as far as that's concerned. And everyone else's letters too.

Where do we go next, that's the question.

Actually we've red Genesis twice, it being peculiarly designed for story-telling. I weedily dropped Lot's interlude with his daughters. On the other hand we did discuss at some length why Abraham kept passing Sarah off as his sister. I skipped two pages about Amnon too.

I suspect the bits he's had are the bits I find easiest, I have no idea how to make the major prophets coherent. The minor prophets just whinge. The Psalms and Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are unapproachable poetry. Ezekiel is hallucinogenic.

I'll take a run at Isaiah and try to get through to the end of Jeremiah.

I'd do Job but in my experience Job has to be taken in one very long sitting to make sense and the final late-addition chapter has to be ditched entirely or there's no point.

And then, I think, I have to stop. None of the rest is suitable for children.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

eta:

And so we did. The Book of Job naturally breaks into three segments and we red the first, chapters 1 to 13 with discussion of when [1], who [2] and why [3]. He's decided that neither the book nor Job are miserable which is fair, I think, if provocative, because if Job isn't miserable then he's the only honorable character in the book.

If anyone knows the story of Sam Oglethwaite, that's Job in a nutshell with Noah playing the part of God.

[1:] A generation or two after Alexander the Great

[2:]The Temple scribes

[3:]The rain it raineth on the just

And also on the unjust fella;

But chiefly on the just, because

The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Reeding Allowed

Post by G#Gill »

Hello Mr. spot, I do sincerely hope you do not allow your young charge to watch you type on your computer whilst you are using your phonetic spelling !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1527426 wrote: Hello Mr. spot, I do sincerely hope you do not allow your young charge to watch you type on your computer whilst you are using your phonetic spelling !

The brute child was teaching himself astrophysics while I was typing that screed. A simulator on his PC called Universal Sandbox 2, he tells me. My experiments with spelling reform are child's play by comparison.

I follow in the steps of H G Wells and of G B Shaw (the playwright, not the destroyer of the Ottoman Empire). Both advocated change though neither persuaded the nation to follow their leed. I have little to give but what I have I will add to the treasury.
Raphael

Reeding Allowed

Post by Raphael »

What about the books making up the Apocrypha?

Plus the 14 books removed by the Vatican in 1684

And above all -- the people's number one --- The Book of Enoch .

Or does he make Isiah look the poor man's version he was ?
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

Raphael;1527584 wrote: What about the books making up the Apocrypha?

Plus the 14 books removed by the Vatican in 1684

And above all -- the people's number one --- The Book of Enoch .

Or does he make Isiah look the poor man's version he was ?

The boy's Kindle only has the freebie King James on it and I'm far too parsimonious to splash out on anything that costs. However you're quite right, googling shows I can get them for nothing.

I have sullied my laptop if you'll excuse my French, and downloaded the files from http://scriptural-truth.com/apocrypha_books.html and what a horrid place it is to be sure.

I've put the PDFs through to text and thence into MOBI, I'll email them onto his Kindle later. Meanwhile, having reached chapter 4 of 1st Chronicles last night, he can reed the remainder before we branch out.

So far I've only ever told him two jokes and he was kind enough to find them amusing, the one about there only being 10 sorts of people in the world and the one about my dog has no nose. I've saved up my third joke in case of emergency.
Raphael

Reeding Allowed

Post by Raphael »

I keep meaning to read the Book of Enoch but failing .

It is definitely flavour of the epoch and seemingly beloved by Fundamentalists and many so called Conspiracy Theorists .

I gather that it is the start point for the ideas of The Watchers and the End of Times .

Given that the Watcher in charge of the Israelites was what the Christians call the one God -- certainly the OT version -- it is great fun to see some of the expanded narratives .

In some , The Donald is a closely guarded and protected person and a road back to absolution . This neatly fits with his German Jewish background and his alleged full conversion to Judaism early in his Presidency . Further , the saga points to the future importance of his son in law in history, but my attention started to wander around that point .

However , I like the idea of the Israel Watcher being a God( from the sky) which neatly fits the Sumerian legends which more literally define him as one of the Anunnaki -- a legend that is mirrored right across the planet . Different names . Same drill .

Great stuff . You cannot read Alice through the looking glass indefinitely .
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

There is a switch, a binary on-off thing, which makes all the difference in the world when reeding the Bible or any other text which purports to tell what will happen. It's the one that says whether it is possible to foretell future events. It's either yes it is possible, perhaps with "but you must be inspired by divine beings or hallucinate" qualifications, or no it is not possible, "reality doesn't work like that".

The boy has his switch firmly glued to off, like all rational people, and it makes the Bible so much more interesting. We discussed the meaning of "thousand" and "hundred" in the old testament context. The Roman military had similar naming convention with Decurion and Centurion, for example, but nobody reeds Centurion as a hundred people. It makes the tribal lists collated at the time of Ezra and the founding of the Temple in Jerusalem so much more credible and informative, not to mention the Exodus and Numbers components put together by the same writing team.

He thinks the Elihu episode in the Book of Job is an interpolation. He didn't actually say interpolation, he said someone had added it in and that it didn't fit. He might well be right. The other interpolation, he couldn't mention simply because I didn't let him see it in the first place. It's Job 42:9 from the colon to the end of the book, and it totally destroys the message the book has spent 41 chapters creating. Whoever allowed that tacked-on sugar-coating should have been cut off from the congregation of Israel.

We got to 1 Chronicles 16 and stopped there, it's a natural break. This-all is improving his sight-reeding and clarity of speech if nothing else.
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

Raphael;1527599 wrote: I keep meaning to read the Book of Enoch but failing .

Excluding the present-day Introduction, verse and page numbering it runs to 41,289 words. That may be relevant. It's even longer than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - I couldn't finish that either.
LarsMac

Reeding Allowed

Post by LarsMac »

I enjoy reading the KJV, usually, because it is an interesting view to the evolution of the English Language.

The poetry of some books is amazing. Some other books in the KJV fall into tedium very quickly, though.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Raphael

Reeding Allowed

Post by Raphael »

spot;1527625 wrote: Excluding the present-day Introduction, verse and page numbering it runs to 41,289 words. That may be relevant. It's even longer than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - I couldn't finish that either.

400 a page, say, is roughly 100 + pages .

Two hours max .

My guess is that I read around 300 000 words most days .Could be more .
spot

Reeding Allowed

Post by spot »

Raphael;1527661 wrote: 400 a page, say, is roughly 100 + pages .

Two hours max .

344 words a minute, I make it.

John F Kennedy spoke 327 words in just one minute during a speech in 1961, a speed that is still mentioned when extremes are under discussion and gets referenced in the Guinness Book of Records. I recall hearing John Smith address a meeting on Cheapside when he was Labour leader and keeping his audience finely balanced at the limit of comprehension.

An eight year old practising clear diction from a text composed 1700 years ago, averaging 344 words a minute over an unbroken two hours?

I'll record him at 115 words a minute, speed it up by three and post the clip here - we'll see whether intelligibility suffers. I'll even allow you to be the judge if you like.

Or we could settle for

I've seen occasional mention of "goosequil braccahadocheos" - The Life of Jack Wilton springs to mind - but I never expected to encounter one in the wild.

My masters, you may conceive of me what you list, but I think confidently I was ordained God’s scourge from above for their dainty finicality. The hour of their punishment could no longer be prorogued, but vengeance must have at them at all adventures. So it was that the most of these above-named goose-quill braggadocios were mere cowards and cravens, and durst not so much as throw a penful of ink into the enemy’s face, if proof were made; wherefore on the experience of their pusillanimity I thought to raise the foundation of my roguery.

Online forums to a Tee, that.
Raphael

Reeding Allowed

Post by Raphael »

Good man .

Move north soldiers .

Spray the bastards with hard words .

Return to “General Chit Chat”