Animal Cruelty or not . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Post by cars »

. . . . . So anyway, here on July 4th a couple (man & woman) lit a dog on fire!! Extreme cruelty, right? The woman was arrested, and they are still looking for the man. Here's the thing. The cops say the dog was already dead, before they lit it on fire. It's a stupid thing they did, but since the dog was already dead, is that really cruelty? What Say you?
Cars :)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

cars;1524255 wrote: . . . . . So anyway, here on July 4th a couple (man & woman) lit a dog on fire!! Extreme cruelty, right? The woman was arrested, and they are still looking for the man. Here's the thing. The cops say the dog was already dead, before they lit it on fire. It's a stupid thing they did, but since the dog was already dead, is that really cruelty? What Say you?

About four years ago I my dog Sophie had to be put down. After the vet did the job and she died the vet asked me if I would like to spend some time with her. I told him no thanks, it is now just a dead dog. This past month my dog Sally died as I was walking her so to dispose of that dog drove it to the vet and at my wife's insistence had her cremated and now her remains are in an urn.

My question is whose dog was it? Where did this happen?

It would never occure to me to roast any of my dead dogs.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
cars

Post by cars »

tude dog;1524262 wrote: About four years ago I my dog Sophie had to be put down. After the vet did the job and she died the vet asked me if I would like to spend some time with her. I told him no thanks, it is now just a dead dog. This past month my dog Sally died as I was walking her so to dispose of that dog drove it to the vet and at my wife's insistence had her cremated and now her remains are in an urn.

My question is whose dog was it? Where did this happen?

It would never occure to me to roast any of my dead dogs.

It certainly was a stupid asinine thing they did. For more details look up a link dog set on fire at beach parking lot. I tried to post the link, but for some odd reason my personal info also is included with the link, so I didn't post it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1524268 wrote: It certainly was a stupid asinine thing they did. For more details look up a link dog set on fire at beach parking lot. I tried to post the link, but for some odd reason my personal info also is included with the link, so I didn't post it.

Perhaps they were trying to save money on the cremation?

I suspect alcohol was involved.

Cruelty?

I would think that doing this in a public location, where children might witness it and not understand what was going on was perhaps stupid and thoughtless. But cruel? I dunno.

Ask the kids.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

cars;1524268 wrote: It certainly was a stupid asinine thing they did. For more details look up a link dog set on fire at beach parking lot. I tried to post the link, but for some odd reason my personal info also is included with the link, so I didn't post it.

So I'll post this.

Dog set on fire, killed in Connecticut beach parking lot; police searching for suspects
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Did they run it down? Then, tried to get rid of the evidence? There might be more to the story?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame;1524277 wrote: Did they run it down? Then, tried to get rid of the evidence? There might be more to the story?

The dog belonged to the women involved, and it was the COPS who said the dog was dead before the couple set it on fire.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

hmmm lets see what comes from the vet enquiry
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
ErinGoEun

Post by ErinGoEun »

There are obviously other factors at play here - did they violate any laws with regard to burning an animal carcass in public, or whether they were the ones who killed the dog in the first place - but the act of burning a dog that was already dead doesn't strike me as cruel.
cars

Post by cars »

ErinGoEun;1526019 wrote: There are obviously other factors at play here - did they violate any laws with regard to burning an animal carcass in public, or whether they were the ones who killed the dog in the first place - but the act of burning a dog that was already dead doesn't strike me as cruel.

Hi Erin, nice to meet you. Yes I agree, the dog already being dead is really not animal cruelty.
spot

Post by spot »

This article adds clarity to what was clearly a botched attempt to dispose a pet's corpse respectfully. How can any society be so damned legalistic that it criminalizes people for doing the best they know?

The cruelty is the way the two defendants have been treated, and it's permanently institutionalized in the local legal system. The system does not benefit society at all.

If there's more recent reports, I've not tracked them down.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1529944 wrote: This article adds clarity to what was clearly a botched attempt to dispose a pet's corpse respectfully. How can any society be so damned legalistic that it criminalizes people for doing the best they know?

The cruelty is the way the two defendants have been treated, and it's permanently institutionalized in the local legal system. The system does not benefit society at all.

If there are more recent reports, I've not tracked them down.

I live along a highway where up and down at any time one may see roadkill. One day looking out my front window I see a dead opossum in the middle of the road. Because it was positioned near a curb I feared drivers would swerve to avoid it. As a public service, I took a shovel to move it from the road onto the front yard of an unoccupied house in high grass where it could rot in peace.

I suspect what I did was illegal, putting the carcass on somebody else's property which itself rots in peace.

One time hunting with friends came across a dead badger along a county road. Somebody took the time to place it along the side so it was propped up with a beer can in its arms.

Illegal doubtful, but funny?

NO
spot

Post by spot »

Here we go, the next part of the tale. It's as insane as the Salem Witch trials, the entire community needs psychiatric help.

“It was unnerving thinking there was a serial killer on the loose and we were all worried about satanic rituals, Garthwait said.

The ceremony will be held rain or shine at the bird sanctuary, but the Halloween Strut Your Pup walk down the boardwalk that was to take place later will be cancelled or postponed if it rains as predicted, Garthwait said.

Animals are encouraged to dress in costume — if they like that — but are welcome without costume, as well, Garthwait said. The event is meant for dogs that are socialized, she said.

Garthwait said they decided to give special honor to Wolf because he can’t collect any of the reward money offered in the case for his valiant efforts.

Wolf also was recognized at a memorial service for the burned terrier, whose remains were found July 5.

In an arrest warrant affidavit, police stated it appeared the dog — named Brooklyn — already was dead when it was set on fire, but was “neglected” during the course of its life.

Two people are charged in the case: Brooklyn’s owner, Latrice Moody, 35 at the time of her arrest, of West Haven, and Maurice Jackson, 41 when charged. The pair face charges including breach of peace, illegal dumping and open burning. Moody also is charged with animal cruelty.

Moody told police she had come home from the Norwalk fireworks to find Brooklyn dead, according to the affidavit. She told police she and Jackson, also of West Haven, agreed to cremate the dog’s body and did so in a parking lot at the beach. Instead of ashes, as she had planned for, the dog’s flesh and bones were left after the fire.

Criminal charges lodged against the couple could be resolved next month.

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/nhregist ... 557442.php

Google is moderately convinced there is no further news report.

How many days have those two collectively spent in jail so far?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Jail ? For what is at most littering. What is wrong with that system????
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

If the dog was already dead that was not cruelty but THIS is and example of cruelty that has had me tore up for a while. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tommie-the ... ied-today/
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6;1531645 wrote: If the dog was already dead that was not cruelty but THIS is and example of cruelty that has had me tore up for a while. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tommie-the ... ied-today/

That's a baffling set of circumstances.

Months later a chap was arrested and charged.

There was a plea bargain which resulted in him getting a 5 year jail term.

I think the plea bargain meant that no evidence was put to the court, merely the charge. Certainly no evidence was reported in any of the news articles I've seen.

He got a 5 year jail term, his family claiming he was uninvolved in the burning but arrested on false accusation for a $25,000 reward.

Why is the chap that was jailed thought to have committed the animal cruelty offence?

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Man-s ... 75931.html

https://wtvr.com/2019/05/21/jyahshua-hill-hearing/
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot;1531647 wrote: That's a baffling set of circumstances.

Months later a chap was arrested and charged.

There was a plea bargain which resulted in him getting a 5 year jail term.

I think the plea bargain meant that no evidence was put to the court, merely the charge. Certainly no evidence was reported in any of the news articles I've seen.

He got a 5 year jail term, his family claiming he was uninvolved in the burning but arrested on false accusation for a $25,000 reward.

Why is the chap that was jailed thought to have committed the animal cruelty offence?

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Man-s ... 75931.html

https://wtvr.com/2019/05/21/jyahshua-hill-hearing/

I heard someone say, when this first happened that the man claimed that the dog bite his 2 year old son but I don't know that for sure it's just a rumour.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6;1531650 wrote: I heard someone say, when this first happened that the man claimed that the dog bite his 2 year old son but I don't know that for sure it's just a rumour.

I expect people wondered whether this or that and it got passed on as this or that being statements. It's why I quite like finding genuine reports of what was presented in court. Usually a local paper will have a reporter there who reports the evidence.

The trouble with having someone in custody, appointing a court attorney, and the prosecutor making huge threats of what will happen if it gets to court, and offering a lesser charge as a plea deal "to save the court's time in exchange for leniency" - it's a lousy system. No evidence has, as far as I can tell, ever been shown to anyone, and yet a 20 year old with children is in jail serving a five year term rather than risking a longer sentence for a worse allegation.

I think a prosecutor can browbeat people into a plea bargain, they get a lot of practice.

Should I believe the prosecutor's office is fair, and that only the guilty get sentenced? Or should I see it more as a slaughterhouse conveyor belt being cost-efficient.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot;1531657 wrote: I expect people wondered whether this or that and it got passed on as this or that being statements. It's why I quite like finding genuine reports of what was presented in court. Usually a local paper will have a reporter there who reports the evidence.

The trouble with having someone in custody, appointing a court attorney, and the prosecutor making huge threats of what will happen if it gets to court, and offering a lesser charge as a plea deal "to save the court's time in exchange for leniency" - it's a lousy system. No evidence has, as far as I can tell, ever been shown to anyone, and yet a 20 year old with children is in jail serving a five year term rather than risking a longer sentence for a worse allegation.

I think a prosecutor can browbeat people into a plea bargain, they get a lot of practice.

Should I believe the prosecutor's office is fair, and that only the guilty get sentenced? Or should I see it more as a slaughterhouse conveyor belt being cost-efficient.

I think there are probably a lot of innocent people sitting in jail. I don't know if this guy did that but whoever did that to that poor dog is one evil person. If you have a problem with a dog call animal control.

one good thing came out of it, harming someone's pet is now a felony in Virginia.

Return to “General Chit Chat”