Random Thoughts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1523919 wrote: Oops! My bad! The 14 million vote difference was in California.

You probably want to recheck those numbers.

I doubt that much more that 14 million Californians actually voted.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523928 wrote: You probably want to recheck those numbers.

I doubt that much more that 14 million Californians actually voted.

14,181,595 Californians actually voted, that's where the 14 million came from.

The Californian margin for Hillary was 4,269,978, a 30% majority. It only needed to be 1, that's a waste of 4,269,977 votes.

The national majority for Hillary was 2,868,686, 2.1% of the 136,669,276 Americans who actually voted. As with California they were not distributed tactically which is why you have your current cliffhanger of a presidency instead of the more usual sane slaughter of millions of bystanders abroad. I'm quite keen for the novelty to extend four more years.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

I am sure that it is much more entertaining to watch the US self-destruct from afar.

Our grandchildren will certainly have a fine mess to clean up.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523930 wrote: I am sure that it is much more entertaining to watch the US self-destruct from afar.

Our grandchildren will certainly have a fine mess to clean up.

I may have misled myself over the years but from what I have found when looking, you have a federal government which has never gathered meaningful social statistics. The only reason I can give for that is an absence of accurate statistics makes it impossible to demonstrate social ills, and that your federal government wants things that way.

If you-all ever get to the stage of recording adequate national social statistics I'll treat your internal problems with more sympathy.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

Did I see several web sites this morning offering encouragement to the bunch of lawbreakers who have been throwing rats over the fence into the Mar-a-Lago grounds overnight, in protest at President Trump's rat-infested attack on Elijah Cummings?
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1524090 wrote: Did I see several web sites this morning offering encouragement to the bunch of lawbreakers who have been throwing rats over the fence into the Mar-a-Lago grounds overnight, in protest at President Trump's rat-infested attack on Elijah Cummings?

I remember when Mar a Lago was a quite beautiful place. I attended a few events there when I was a young lad. The owner was a wonderful patron of the Arts and of education.

Sad to see such vacuous ninnies in possession of it now.

All those new rats should fit right in, these days.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

Does anyone else have a problem with leg hair? I might end up trying a cream.

minks

Random Thoughts

Post by minks »

anyone ever wonder what royals, and people of notoriety, or of historical reference really looked like before the age of camera's? Interesting to think for example all the images of say someone like Henry VIII were just peoples "perception" of him as they painted his portraits.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

minks;1524170 wrote: anyone ever wonder what royals, and people of notoriety, or of historical reference really looked like before the age of camera's? Interesting to think for example all the images of say someone like Henry VIII were just peoples "perception" of him as they painted his portraits.

Camera's show peoples honest true appearance, as camera's don't lie, only people do. :)
Cars :)
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

minks;1524170 wrote: anyone ever wonder what royals, and people of notoriety, or of historical reference really looked like before the age of camera's? Interesting to think for example all the images of say someone like Henry VIII were just peoples "perception" of him as they painted his portraits.

Henry VIII's portraitist Holbein certainly met the king frequently, I've no doubt the likeness is sufficient that if you time-travelled back you'd recognize Henry immediately. The propaganda part of the portraits is in the background, what he's wearing and how fit he looks.

You can guarantee that no portrait of Jesus bears the slightest resemblance to anyone except perhaps the portraitist's brother-in-law, and the same would apply to any Tyburn villain, to Mab the Queen of the Fairies and to every Greek of the Ancient world. I'm prepared to believe that we have a proper likeness of Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavius, and a few coffin portraits from Egypt.

With regard to "perception", how does that problem pre-camera go away when someone paints a portrait today? Isn't that still an identical issue?
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

The Gold Course cut down a large fir tree - On Thursday I'm in my backyard and there sitting on the gold course was a large Owl - wondering where his tree went??

Friday I'm in my backyard & there sitting on my rod iron fence was this large owl.

Actually scared me - I quietly go get may hubby & we watched this incredible lift-off & a wing span of a airplane - very cool.

I'll check again tonight - in about a hour.

Patsy
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

Patsy Warnick;1524185 wrote: The Gold Course cut down a large fir tree - On Thursday I'm in my backyard and there sitting on the gold course was a large Owl - wondering where his tree went??

Friday I'm in my backyard & there sitting on my rod iron fence was this large owl.

Actually scared me - I quietly go get may hubby & we watched this incredible lift-off & a wing span of a airplane - very cool.

I'll check again tonight - in about a hour.

Patsy

Sounds something like a human sometimes encounters. Living in a house one day, and poof, another day, homeless. (:
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

So once again, the First Amendment is under attack.

Republicans in many states introduce laws that would prohibit public protests.

Is your state one of them?

This needs to be fought in every state.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

I wonder which will turn out to be more repressive this decade, the Chinese authority in Hong Kong or the police in America.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1524197 wrote: I wonder which will turn out to be more repressive this decade, the Chinese authority in Hong Kong or the police in America.

These days, I think that the Chinese might prove to be more civilized.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

Do you guys have willy wag tails? I swear I'm bringing out the sling shot (yes I know it's illegal),,, but seriously the neighbours are beginning to ask questions as to why the dog won't shut up. It stirs him up deliberately, always just out of jaw snapping reach.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

I had to go look that up.

Um, no, we don't have any of those.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

I've not looked it up but I reckon they're magpies.
LarsMac

Random Thoughts

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1524231 wrote: I've not looked it up but I reckon they're magpies.

They are a type of FanTail, a Genus that seems particular to the Southeastern Asian/Oceania part of the world.

Though the behavior of this wagtail sounds similar to a bird we have in the Southwestern US and Mexico, called a Roadrunner.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Roadrunner's are rare now..

Patsy
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

Patsy Warnick;1524233 wrote: Roadrunner's are rare now..

Patsy

I've never seen a roadrunner even on paper. I just googled an image. That is the most primitive bird on the planet. That's a dinosaur of a bird.
Patsy Warnick

Random Thoughts

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Spot

I live on a golf course - we use to see the dinosaur of a bird frequently.

very few around now.

It's AZ State Bird.

Patsy
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

I can't help but wonder, with the Donald being the way he is, why is he so likely to get in again? Last election, many people didn't vote for him, they just voted against Hillary!
minks

Random Thoughts

Post by minks »

for all the wild life lovers out there, how about a few bobcats.

We literally play where's waldo with these guys. The rabbit and squirrel populations is super high this year so who strolls the city streets... bobcats. Cheeky cats, they don't care if it is a rabbit or a chihuahua, it's fair game to them. We have singulars, and families all over the city this year.

On average they leave humans alone, but have been known to attack small children, and steal small dogs.

But ... this beats a skunk infestation, we had that a few years ago.

We see all kinds of wildlife in our area, this years along with the bob's have been bears, yeah strolling the city streets in a few neighborhoods.

In the past we have had, deer, coyotes, cougars, of course the bobs, skunks, beavers, bears, all kinds of cool creatures follow the river ways and often wander off track into the residential areas.

― Mae West
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

Lights....changing the behaviour of our nocturnal creatures . We keep lighting up the planet and changing wildlife. did you know that penguins go into the sea exactly 82 minutes after sunset and come out of the sea 54 minutes before sunrise? Put street lights near them and you've stuffed around with their biology .
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
minks

Random Thoughts

Post by minks »

yep you are so right there Magenta. We are encroaching more and more onto our wildlife.

Here in my city, we have 2 major rivers flowing through the city and the wildlife just naturally follows those. Then find themselves in the city for an amazing smorgasbord of food, from small domestic pets, to garbage (and to the wildlife that idiots insist upon feeding ie bunnies, and squirrels) and why would any animal leave when it is easy pickin's like that.

Silly humans

― Mae West
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

If you send us a few wolves and bears we can solve our seagull and truancy problems.

Does your city have seagulls? I know which it is, I'm just not naming it in the thread.
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

You want to use wolves and bears to combat truancy?....You're a harsh man lol
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1525125 wrote: You want to use wolves and bears to combat truancy?....You're a harsh man lol

It's in the bible. He turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Nobody played truant when Elisha was around.
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1525134 wrote: It's in the bible. He turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Nobody played truant when Elisha was around.

I would put a smiley laughing face here but it appears I can no longer post pics or even the forums own icon/ smileys.
FourPart

Random Thoughts

Post by FourPart »

Not forgetting the Contitutional Right to Arm Bears.
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

I bought one of those stickers when I went to the great lost bear bar in Maine. I've still got it two decades later.
spot

Random Thoughts

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1525234 wrote: I would put a smiley laughing face here but it appears I can no longer post pics or even the forums own icon/ smileys.

We're a bit degraded here. The management apologises.
magentaflame

Random Thoughts

Post by magentaflame »

Accepted.
cars

Random Thoughts

Post by cars »

At Last A good Trump Joke: The President is walking out of the White house towards his limo, when a possible assassin steps forward and aims a gun. A Secret Service agent, "new" on the job, shouts "Mickey Mouse! This startles the would be assassin and he is captured. Later, the Secret service agent's supervisor takes him aside and asks, What the in hell made you shout Mickey Mouse? Blushing, the new Agent replies, "I got nervous", I meant to shout Donald Duck !
Hope6

Random Thoughts

Post by Hope6 »

Wandrin;1520858 wrote: It was a beautiful day. I was sitting outside on the patio enjoying a quiet cup of coffee when a mockingbird started up in a tree on one side of the yard. It was annoying. Still, I tried to enjoy my coffee. Then another mockingbird started up on the other side. They didn't take turns, they tried to drown each other out. It was very very annoying.

I was about the give up and go inside, when there was sudden blissful silence. It wasn't just the mockingbirds who fell silent, it was everything including squirrels. From experience, I knew that there was only one reason for that. I looked, and up in the highest tree, I could see the hawk. I was very thankful and quietly enjoyed the rest of my coffee.

I was sitting on my front porch last spring, I have a lot of Azalias around my house, the birds were singing and there was a nest that to birds had in one bush. All at once the bush started shaking, I go to see and there was a snake curled up in the bush, my first thought was BABY BIRDS!!! so I grab my hoe that I always keep by the front porch and proceeded to shake the bush. The snake had enough of that and fell on the ground and took off like a flash!
Hope6

Random Thoughts

Post by Hope6 »

Patsy Warnick;1520891 wrote: My friend has a doggy door - her yard is fully fenced (Block wall).

Coyotes climbed the wall & killed her dog.

I watched a hawk swoop down grab a rabbit & then sat on my fence. hawk had the rabbit it it's talon and started plucking the fur off.

The hawk then tried to fly up to the fir tree but couldn't carry the rabbit. Other hawks help get the rabbit to the fir tree.

Then all the hawks started to pluck the fur - it looked like it was snowing. very cool

Patsy

We have coyotes here now too. I worry about them quite a bit. We have 5 dogs, 4 outside dogs and one little cockapoo, she lives in the house with us. I never let her outside alone, but we also have cattle and my cousin who lives here on the farm also has goats. Sometimes calves disappear and sometimes goats disappear too.

I never let Jake outside to play by himself when he was little, I just began to let him go outside some by himself in the last couple of years.
FourPart

Random Thoughts

Post by FourPart »

Hope6;1531690 wrote: I was sitting on my front porch last spring, I have a lot of Azalias around my house, the birds were singing and there was a nest that to birds had in one bush. All at once the bush started shaking, I go to see and there was a snake curled up in the bush, my first thought was BABY BIRDS!!! so I grab my hoe that I always keep by the front porch and proceeded to shake the bush. The snake had enough of that and fell on the ground and took off like a flash!

Harsh as it may sound, you just deprived a snake of its lunch. Nature can be cruel.
Hope6

Random Thoughts

Post by Hope6 »

FourPart;1531714 wrote: Harsh as it may sound, you just deprived a snake of its lunch. Nature can be cruel.

Well, I figure let him go find a rat or a mouse, something that is a pest. Those little baby birds had done nothing to nobody.
theia

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by theia »

Wishing I could recall the name of the poster who very kindly designed my avatar. It must have been back in 2006/7, or earlier, so I don’t stand a chance of remembering her name
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 am Wishing I could recall the name of the poster who very kindly designed my avatar. It must have been back in 2006/7, or earlier, so I don’t stand a chance of remembering her name
"Theia" from Robert Graves' The Great Myths and the avatar courtesy of Babygirl who kindly designed several for FG members based on their likes and preferences
theia

Post by theia »

That’s her, spot, thank you so much
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
cars

Post by cars »

Back in the day the slogan was: Click it or Ticket

Today, the slogan should be: Mask it or Casket
spot

Post by spot »

That's very appropriate, yes.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

minks wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm anyone ever wonder what royals, and people of notoriety, or of historical reference really looked like before the age of camera's? Interesting to think for example all the images of say someone like Henry VIII were just peoples "perception" of him as they painted his portraits.
I don't know. I'd say they are pretty accurate he suffered from severe gout, inflammation of the legs, which thrombosis would have been a concern . That all comes from a very rich diet and obesity.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42041766/ns/t ... wJHSygzbIU
cars

Post by cars »

Can't understand why some people are so dumb and will fight not to wear a mask! Especially since their lives can depend on it! :? :shock: :o
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am Can't understand why some people are so dumb and will fight not to wear a mask! Especially since their lives can depend on it! :? :shock: :o
I'm with ya, there.
It is astounding how many people will argue against the idea.
It will be a long summer.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:58 pm
cars wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am Can't understand why some people are so dumb and will fight not to wear a mask! Especially since their lives can depend on it! :? :shock: :o
I'm with ya, there.
It is astounding how many people will argue against the idea.
It will be a long summer.
It's being strenuously suggested in Melbourne to wear masks in public ....short of being told they have to. I can understand in summer it must be very uncomfortable to wear but it's winter here you'd think people wouldn't mind a warm nose. We are still seeing people trying to leave Melbourne.
AlexCaro

Post by AlexCaro »

Have you ever wondered how your voice sounds to other people?
The most interesting thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything, it's too late to stop reading it. :D
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AlexCaro wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 pm Have you ever wondered how your voice sounds to other people?
Yes, and having heard recordings I hate it.

Return to “General Chit Chat”