Checking out?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson said she was shocked by the president's comments to the bereaved wife of a fallen soldier.

[...] "This gentleman has a brain disorder," said the lawmaker, "and he needs to be checked out."

Trump denies 'insensitive' remarks to soldier's widow - BBC News

This may just be a difference between the Queen's English and whatever approximates to language in America, but where I come from "checking out" is a euphemism for death.

The President of the USA needs to be checked out? As in it's time for Donald to cross the Jordan, buy the farm, get given his chips?

Is this an assassination threat by a Member of Congress?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Checking out?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The congresswoman meant 'to be carefully assessed.' It was not a threat. I doubt she is aware of, or attempting to use, British colloquialisms, if so, she would have said 'sussed out.'
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

I shall allow my bristling antennae to lie flat again but you can't be too careful these days. Caution is the watchword. The homeland must be secured against hostiles. Above all there should immediately be a full and complete study and investigation as to whether persons who are disloyal to the United States are, or have been, elected to Congress. I note Frederica Wilson has two question marks already, being both Democrat and female.

Would you like to see a photo of my mother's mother's father's parents on their wedding day? I'm looking for an excuse to post it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

What are American troops doing in Niger anyway ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1513372 wrote: What are American troops doing in Niger anyway ?

Killing local residents, what on earth do you think they're doing. That's what they're paid for. If they could translate "killing local residents" into Latin they'd wear it on their hat-badge.
AnneBoleyn

Checking out?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1513371 wrote: I shall allow my bristling antennae to lie flat again but you can't be too careful these days. Caution is the watchword. The homeland must be secured against hostiles. Above all there should immediately be a full and complete study and investigation as to whether persons who are disloyal to the United States are, or have been, elected to Congress. I note Frederica Wilson has two question marks already, being both Democrat and female.

Would you like to see a photo of my mother's mother's father's parents on their wedding day? I'm looking for an excuse to post it.

Make that three question marks. She is black. Also, yes, I would love to see a photo of your mother's mother's father's parents on their wedding day.
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

You're very kind.

The top left picture is their son John, a photo I took on my first camera (see the photo under, me showing my Kodak Brownie 44A off on the front stoop in Lancashire).

The next shows his parents Mary and William, married on 19th August 1871 and I suspect the photo was taken that day. She was Mary Willis, born 1850, he's William Williams Bateman, born 1849, I didn't meet either of them. William's dad ran the Cross Keys on Mount Hill Road at the back of Hanham in the 1870s and 80s.

John's daughter is next, Nellie, my grandmother, and then her younger daughter my mother Mary with fierce glasses.

The one at the end is my son Jowan and if you squint at the door beside his head, my Kodak Brownie 44A is suspended there from a hook.

Attached files
AnneBoleyn

Checking out?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The photos are of great historical interest, in terms of settings, facial poses (which become more casual as time passes), clothing, etc. A handsome family indeed. I especially liked the tinting in the wedding photo & the chair Nellie is seated on. Thank you spot, most enjoyable. Precious memorabilia.
xfrodobagginsx

Checking out?

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

AnneBoleyn;1513383 wrote: The photos are of great historical interest, in terms of settings, facial poses (which become more casual as time passes), clothing, etc. A handsome family indeed. I especially liked the tinting in the wedding photo & the chair Nellie is seated on. Thank you spot, most enjoyable. Precious memorabilia.

Interesting
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

xfrodobagginsx;1513412 wrote: Interesting

xfrodobagginsx

Checking out?

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Bruv;1513419 wrote:

Ha I remember this one.
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

If i was yo say "im checking out".......worry!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Wandrin

Checking out?

Post by Wandrin »

magentaflame;1513444 wrote: If i was yo say "im checking out".......worry!

Even if you were staying at a hotel?
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

I never even thought of that. Ha.

God, mind blank. What the grammatical term for a sentence with different meanings?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

Ambiguity.
Ahso!

Checking out?

Post by Ahso! »

The key is to not even give it a thought when someone says it. "Bye" is sufficient.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1513521 wrote: Ambiguity.

Ahso is right, you are funny today! You got the fuzzy goggles on? Friday night? Why not :)

For myself? Just cant be arsed ...should be "checking out " the clothes line ........but....dryer is looking good too. How lazy is that?
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

Hold up Sheila.........it was Bruv said he was a laugh a minute..................I remember him saying it.
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

My sincerist apologies....... i kowtow as retreating without turning my back fromyour presence.....oh dear honorable one!

Sorry, quite right. And are you so venerable you talk about yourself in the third person? Lol
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1513537 wrote: Hold up Sheila.........it was Bruv said he was a laugh a minute..................I remember him saying it.

You've more nerve than me, correcting her. I did see it but I wasn't going to take the risk.
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1513546 wrote: You've more nerve than me, correcting her. I did see it but I wasn't going to take the risk.

She's not too bad.......................for a Sheila.

(Hides behind sofa)
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1513549 wrote: She's not too bad.......................for a Sheila.

(Hides behind sofa)

You okay back there?......dont forget to look for loose change
Betty Boop

Checking out?

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame;1513579 wrote: You okay back there?......dont forget to look for loose change

lots of sofas recline nowadays, he might be totally squished
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1513585 wrote: lots of sofas recline nowadays, he might be totally squished

Is that squished with a P ?
Betty Boop

Checking out?

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1513586 wrote: Is that squished with a P ?

:confused::-2:confused:.
Ahso!

Checking out?

Post by Ahso! »

Perhaps he is referring to a pea - as in a squished-pea?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Checking out?

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1513596 wrote: :confused::-2:confused:.

Puished ?
Betty Boop

Checking out?

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1513602 wrote: Puished ?

its squashed with an i :p
Clodhopper

Checking out?

Post by Clodhopper »

(...they've all gone totally quackers...)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Checking out?

Post by Clodhopper »

Actually, is that an Arts and Crafts movement chair the lady is sitting on? VERY up to the moment and with it! The only name coming to mind is Pugin but there was a lot of it about.

xfrodobagginsx

Checking out?

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

spot;1513367 wrote: Congresswoman Frederica Wilson said she was shocked by the president's comments to the bereaved wife of a fallen soldier.

[...] "This gentleman has a brain disorder," said the lawmaker, "and he needs to be checked out."

Trump denies 'insensitive' remarks to soldier's widow - BBC News

This may just be a difference between the Queen's English and whatever approximates to language in America, but where I come from "checking out" is a euphemism for death.

The President of the USA needs to be checked out? As in it's time for Donald to cross the Jordan, buy the farm, get given his chips?

Is this an assassination threat by a Member of Congress?

I agree. If a Republican had said those very words about Obama, they would have been all over the News as threatening to Kill him.
Clodhopper

Checking out?

Post by Clodhopper »

Except Trump is as described, Obama is not.

xfrodobagginsx

Checking out?

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Clodhopper;1513689 wrote: Except Trump is as described, Obama is not.

Trump is 100x better of a President than Obama was. Obama was Anti American, Anti Israel, Anti Christian, Racist and Race Baiter.
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

xfrodobagginsx;1513698 wrote: Trump is 100x better of a President than Obama was. Obama was Anti American, Anti Israel, Anti Christian, Racist and Race Baiter.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:wah::wah::wah:

YOu know the more you post the more everyone sees the type of person who voted for the man .... it's incredible to watch. ........and hilarious!
Wandrin

Checking out?

Post by Wandrin »

magentaflame;1513742 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:wah::wah::wah:

YOu know the more you post the more everyone sees the type of person who voted for the man .... it's incredible to watch. ........and hilarious!

Not so hilarious when you live in the country being changed / damaged by that election.
Ahso!

Checking out?

Post by Ahso! »

xfrodobagginsx;1513698 wrote: Trump is 100x better of a President than Obama was. Obama was Anti American, Anti Israel, Anti Christian, Racist and Race Baiter.
Polly want a cracker?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

Checking out?

Post by magentaflame »

Wandrin;1513743 wrote: Not so hilarious when you live in the country being changed / damaged by that election.

Yes, i am sorry about that.

But according to Trump the republican party has never been more united,..... lol snort!
FourPart

Checking out?

Post by FourPart »

To have Frodo deride Obama is the ultimate endorsement.
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

spot;1513376 wrote: The top left picture is their son John, a photo I took on my first camera

And I'm delighted to note the birth of his great great great great grandson Dylan yesterday. A sterling effort all round, congratulations to all concerned.
Bryn Mawr

Checking out?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1513376 wrote: You're very kind.

The top left picture is their son John, a photo I took on my first camera (see the photo under, me showing my Kodak Brownie 44A off on the front stoop in Lancashire).

The next shows his parents Mary and William, married on 19th August 1871 and I suspect the photo was taken that day. She was Mary Willis, born 1850, he's William Williams Bateman, born 1849, I didn't meet either of them. William's dad ran the Cross Keys on Mount Hill Road at the back of Hanham in the 1870s and 80s.

John's daughter is next, Nellie, my grandmother, and then her younger daughter my mother Mary with fierce glasses.

The one at the end is my son Jowan and if you squint at the door beside his head, my Kodak Brownie 44A is suspended there from a hook.

It is so many years since I saw any of those photographs, one in one out does not begin to tell the story. I am happy to announce the birth of my grandson Dylan in the early hours of yesterday morning. He is beautiful :-6
Ahso!

Checking out?

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1527862 wrote: It is so many years since I saw any of those photographs, one in one out does not begin to tell the story. I am happy to announce the birth of my grandson Dylan in the early hours of yesterday morning. He is beautiful :-6Congratulations!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Checking out?

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1527862 wrote: It is so many years since I saw any of those photographs, one in one out does not begin to tell the story. I am happy to announce the birth of my grandson Dylan in the early hours of yesterday morning. He is beautiful :-6

Awww bless, congratulations
cars

Checking out?

Post by cars »

Bryn Mawr;1527862 wrote: It is so many years since I saw any of those photographs, one in one out does not begin to tell the story. I am happy to announce the birth of my grandson Dylan in the early hours of yesterday morning. He is beautiful :-6

Congratulations! There's nothing like being a Grandpa!
Cars :)
spot

Checking out?

Post by spot »

Here we are...

1 insert in the Bristol Post on Fri 22nd Nov 2019.
LarsMac

Checking out?

Post by LarsMac »

Grandkids are the payoff to parenthood.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”