The stop reporting boxing as a sport petition

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

If I thought it would make the BBC more likely to return to broadcasting cricket instead, like it should, then I would sign. I hadn't noticed, to be honest, much boxing on the BBC. Most of it is on pay-per-view.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1490435 wrote: I thought I'd have a try.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-the-bbc-sh ... m=copylink

You are,to coin a phrase,on a hiding to nothing, people actually enjoy watching boxers beat seven bells out of each other while logically abhorring it..........that's human nature for you.

As a PS I can assure you many find you quite trying much of the time, you don't have to try very hard.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1490436 wrote: I hadn't noticed, to be honest, much boxing on the BBC. Most of it is on pay-per-view.I've no idea what the buggers broadcast, but the BBC Sports website is packed with boxing.

Apparently, in order to gain signatures, the petition would best be served by vain [1] repetition on Facebook. If anyone knows how, they might give that a go.

1: This biblical phrase, I have always felt, means "vain" in the sense of vanity and not in the sense of bound to be unsuccessful. I'd not be surprised if the second meaning stems from the original use in Matthew 6:7.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I would be more inclined to sign a petition so stop promoting Snooker & Darts as sports.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1490464 wrote: I would be more inclined to sign a petition so stop promoting Snooker & Darts as sports.

The button you seek is on https://www.change.org/start-a-petition
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

And then, there is the "Ultimate Fighting Championships" that make Boxers appear to be dancers.

As screwed up as the world seems, today, many people enjoy watching grown men (and women) pummel each other into submission.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Chris Eubank says he told his son to avoid punching Nick Blackwell in the head to protect the stricken boxer.

Blackwell, 25, is in an induced coma after losing his British middleweight title to Chris Eubank Jr on Saturday.

Between rounds eight and nine, Eubank was heard urging his son to punch Blackwell's body rather than his face.

"Even in sparring, I tell Junior to stay away from the head because his punching is fast, powerful and dangerous," said Eubank.

"So most certainly I was saying this to protect the fighter."

Nick Blackwell: Chris Eubank Sr says he would have stopped fight - BBC Sport

Utter shameful barbarity.

I'm puzzled as to why the police don't propose prosecution for what is a blatant example of causing actual bodily harm. To the best of my knowledge there's no get-out clause in the legislation excluding boxing injuries.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1494196 wrote: Chris Eubank says he told his son to avoid punching Nick Blackwell in the head to protect the stricken boxer.

Blackwell, 25, is in an induced coma after losing his British middleweight title to Chris Eubank Jr on Saturday.

Between rounds eight and nine, Eubank was heard urging his son to punch Blackwell's body rather than his face.

"Even in sparring, I tell Junior to stay away from the head because his punching is fast, powerful and dangerous," said Eubank.

"So most certainly I was saying this to protect the fighter."

Nick Blackwell: Chris Eubank Sr says he would have stopped fight - BBC Sport

Utter shameful barbarity.

I'm puzzled as to why the police don't propose prosecution for what is a blatant example of causing actual bodily harm. To the best of my knowledge there's no get-out clause in the legislation excluding boxing injuries.

Because it's voluntary and by mutual consent.

It was quite clear during the latter rounds of the fight that the Eubanks were concerned about their opponent but Blackwell was still compos mentis and intent on fighting. It was only when his ability to fight was impaired that the fight was stopped and that was done fairly promptly.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1494199 wrote: Because it's voluntary and by mutual consent.So's BDSM... hang on, let me find it a suitable reference...Before the smartphone made its way into men’s pockets, finding partners with similar interests was more difficult and a great deal more risky. It was at this time that the subject of caning with leather straps, canes or nettles, piercing, applying heat with hair dryers, cold with ice cubes, hanging ball weights off body parts and shaving the odd slave became one of the most talked about legal battles of the naughty nineties. The charges of actual bodily harm (ABH) came about because there was no legal consent to assault. (Unless you are boxing, playing rugby, a doctor, a tattooist or don’t cause too much harm in a common assault).

The newspapers had a field day when men in horsehair wigs, stockings and fancy shoes sat adjudicating over men in rubber and leather chaps. A London demo saw men pulling pony carts while being gently whipped, marching through the streets clad in kinky leather and rubber wear. S&M clubs flourished like never before.

Sexual Rights Are the Lords’ Undoing | Garry Otton

That isn't the chaps who knifed each other's buttocks but you get the gist.

eta: this gets to the point... This paper sets out the proposition for the retention of liability for sado-masochism that leads to self-caused injury and continuation of its definition as criminal, regardless of the consent of the parties in order to preserve the framework of society that prioritises morals as a matter of public policy and for the courts to act as its guardian.

http://www.westminsterlawreview.org/Vol ... /wlr32.php

It's my opinion that banning boxing would "preserve the framework of society that prioritises morals as a matter of public policy". I suggest it is immoral to spectate at such an event.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Well, I discussed this today at work. Several burly, hairy arsed builders.

There will be those who will defend it vehemently. It is, as Bryn says, two consenting adults.

The trouble may lie with the gloves. Too soft and consequently allows the fight to extend far beyond , say, a bare knuckle fight.

The suggestion was, "it would drive boxing underground and therefore unlicensed and possibly more damaging.

I asked if the likelihood of it being driven underground was a good enough reason not to ban it, if that indeed was the consensus.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1494204 wrote: The suggestion was, "it would drive boxing underground and therefore unlicensed and possibly more damaging.

I asked if the likelihood of it being driven underground was a good enough reason not to ban it, if that indeed was the consensus. Just so. Banning dog-fighting ran the risk of driving it underground when it was banned. It was banned on moral grounds. It still happens illegally, people still attend to watch, to bet and to support their favorites. Dogs get worse medical supervision than if it were a legal sport like fly-fishing. Should the ban be lifted, or is the moral argument adequate.

Where down the scale does a moral argument finally succeed? Rat-baiting? Cock fighting? You can do both in Cambodia. Gladiatorial fights to the death?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

There have been far more injuries caused through the use of boxing gloves than without, as they allow the fighter to punch harder without hurting his hand.

"Sure there have been injuries and even some deaths in boxing - but none of them really that serious."

(Alan Minter)
spot

Post by spot »

I see Mr Blackwell has come out of his coma. Before he's allowed to box again I think he should have to take a GCSE in any subject of his choice just to show he still possesses a working brain.

Perhaps it could be an annual requirement for all boxers.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1494322 wrote: I see Mr Blackwell has come out of his coma. Before he's allowed to box again I think he should have to take a GCSE in any subject of his choice just to show he still possesses a working brain.

Perhaps it could be an annual requirement for all boxers.

Yes, the doctors have stopped pumping him full of sedatives to keep him in a coma and he's up and talking again.

As to boxing again, that will never happen as the BBBC will never give him a licence to box after this episode.

Contrary to your apparent belief, boxing is not totally barbaric - it is strictly regulated to do everything possible to safeguard the boxers.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1494323 wrote: Contrary to your apparent belief, boxing is not totally barbaric - it is strictly regulated to do everything possible to safeguard the boxers.I could take a better shot at that by giving them an education so they could get a proper job. There has not been an educated boxer in living memory.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1494324 wrote: I could take a better shot at that by giving them an education so they could get a proper job. There has not been an educated boxer in living memory.

Klitschkos ?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1494324 wrote: I could take a better shot at that by giving them an education so they could get a proper job. There has not been an educated boxer in living memory.

Maybe check your facts?

10 Champion Boxers You'd Never Guess Had College Degrees - College Degree Search
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1494325 wrote: Klitschkos ?

Gesundheit.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1494326 wrote: Maybe check your facts?I've looked at all the names and I guarantee I've heard of none of them, and if I've heard of none of them then none of them are remotely significant beyond their own club.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1494327 wrote: Gesundheit.

Bryn banned such use of foriegnisms.

Not one but two brothers.....Both PhDs both speak several languages.........both quite famous.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1494330 wrote: Bryn banned such use of foriegnisms.
I do not, to be honest, know how to say it in English. It has a remarkably specific meaning.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1494328 wrote: I've looked at all the names and I guarantee I've heard of none of them, and if I've heard of none of them then none of them are remotely significant beyond their own club.

It shows your lack of knowledge of boxing rather than their lack of class :p
spot

Post by spot »

Here you are, same referee, different result.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... after-bout

"Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain. He had been complaining of headaches for the last few weeks but we put it down to migraines with the stress of his fight."

And he was allowed into the ring to fight, in that state?

I'll throw this in too, since I'm here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -be-banned
Momus

Post by Momus »

I must agree with Spot. The death yesterday of boxer Mike Towell demonstrates just how outdated the ' sport ' has become. On one hand, if two consenting adults wish to bash the brains out of each other, then that is their choice, yet, to set this as a ' sport' is negligent.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

But if you take away the legitimacy of boxing then how will cage fighting ever stand a chance?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Cricket....

Football...

Cyclist....

All consenting adults.
spot

Post by spot »

Physical contact sports are designed to inflict pain and suffering. The deaths are immaterial, the only reason for bringing them up is that they focus the public's attention.

The moral imperative is that we may not design a sport with a primary aim to inflict pain or suffering, whether it's bullfighting or rat baiting or fishing or boxing.

Pain and suffering are not by-products of boxing, they're inherent and totally unavoidable. They're what makes the event boxing instead of display dancing.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501606 wrote: Physical contact sports are designed to inflict pain and suffering. The deaths are immaterial, the only reason for bringing them up is that they focus the public's attention.

The moral imperative is that we may not design a sport with a primary aim to inflict pain or suffering, whether it's bullfighting or rat baiting or fishing or boxing.

Pain and suffering are not by-products of boxing, they're inherent and totally unavoidable. They're what makes the event boxing instead of display dancing.

Then why bring into the argument a death in boxing ?

It is morally right or wrong regardless.

There is pain and suffering inherent in other sports.......ever seen the look on the faces of marathon winners ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1501609 wrote: There is pain and suffering inherent in other sports.......ever seen the look on the faces of marathon winners ?

Inflicting pain or suffering is not a primary aim of the marathon.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Bruv;1501609 wrote: Then why bring into the argument a death in boxing ?

It is morally right or wrong regardless.

There is pain and suffering inherent in other sports.......ever seen the look on the faces of marathon winners ?

Any ' sport ' is open to injury. One could even sustain an eye injury in a tiddlywinks bout, should one's tiddlywink veer off course into an eye by an over exuberant contestant. Marathon pain and suffering is inflicted upon one's self. Boxing is a combat sport designed to knock down the opponent, ie inflict unconsciousness. If you fell out of a public house and did similar, you would be arrested.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I think boxing is a brutal inhuman sport.

I briefly watched Olympians fencing a short while ago, trying to stick the points of swords into their opponents......can you believe it ?

The point of boxing is to 'score' by landing blows with the specific part of a padded glove onto specific parts of your opponent's body.

Strangely enough I reckon fencing might be more popular if they allowed the fencers to draw blood, and they could cut the income of the Boxing industry by using the same technology as in fencing, electronic target areas triggered by the glove.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1501618 wrote: The point of boxing is to 'score' by landing blows with the specific part of a padded glove onto specific parts of your opponent's body. I have a solution, if that's the case. Anyone who causes his or her opponent to withdraw from the contest through injury, unconsciousness or death will be disqualified, and the insulted opponent deemed to have won by default. Only if the bout goes the duration will these scoring points be announced and totaled to discover which of the two undamaged boxers won. I would find that entirely acceptable.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501619 wrote: I would find that entirely acceptable.

It is not all about you though is it ?

They have altered the sport over the years, the latest information being that head protection and padded gloves damage more than bare knuckles and no padded helmets.....due to knuckles ending fights quicker, lessening long term damage.

There would be more money in bare knuckles........none in techno boxing.
Momus

Post by Momus »

spot;1501619 wrote: I have a solution, if that's the case. Anyone who causes his or her opponent to withdraw from the contest through injury, unconsciousness or death will be disqualified, and the insulted opponent deemed to have won by default. Only if the bout goes the duration will these scoring points be announced and totaled to discover which of the two undamaged boxers won. I would find that entirely acceptable.
Sounds good to me.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1501622 wrote: Sounds good to me.

Your deaf then ?
spot

Post by spot »

The humane and caring face of boxing seems to be experiencing a comedic phase... https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... ng-twitter
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Tiddlywinks has been upgraded to a Sport?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1501637 wrote: The humane and caring face of boxing seems to be experiencing a comedic phase... https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... ng-twitter

Spot, somebody has just read your petition and has noticed the quantity of signatures, they suggest that you go through "38 Degrees" because there are many more people who get to see their petitions, and you may find a better reaction. Just a thought.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Momus

Post by Momus »

FourPart;1501653 wrote: Tiddlywinks has been upgraded to a Sport?

CBBC Newsround | SCI TECH | Britain's top at tiddlywinks

sport

spɔːt/Submit

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

"team sports such as soccer and rugby"

synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise; pastime

"he takes part in a variety of sports
spot

Post by spot »

Yet another boxing promoter has enabled an audience to participate in a death on stage caused by a deliberate blow to the head.

Great Yarmouth amateur boxer Kuba Moczyk dies after knockout punch - BBC News

I would like to see a prosecution brought against the promoter, against the owner of the venue and against every member of the audience, all of whom are culpable.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

VR will perhaps replace the actual sport of Boxing. I agree, it can be brutal, but no more so than full contact martial arts. Though, what's fun for young people about both is the training and the discipline they require. The fighting itself is only a measure of how well you've paid attention to the discipline.

No different than other sports really.

Now, American football? That's one that should get some attention and be banned. Even the training and practice itself is brutal enough, not to mention the cultivating of the warrior mentality that the sport relies so heavily on.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I think you failed to notice one essential aspect of the report. A person deliberately hit someone else on the head, and that other person died as a direct result of the blow.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'm not certain what you mean that I failed to notice anything. Both people were there in order to deliberately hit one another in the head until...One died, unfortunately.

I'm no longer a fan of boxing or physical fighting of any type and it would be great to teach the training without the fighting itself.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1503042 wrote: I'm not certain what you mean that I failed to notice anything. Both people were there in order to deliberately hit one another in the head until...One died, unfortunately. I wonder whether you could explain how this differs from gladiatorial combat in the Colosseum?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1503044 wrote: I wonder whether you could explain how this differs from gladiatorial combat in the Colosseum?I can't - it probably doesn't. Though weren't most of the gladiators slaves?

I'll sign your petition.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Signed!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I have a simple legislative proposal, which is to eliminate any courtroom defence that an assault was consensual. How could anyone object to that.

Boy, 17, dies after amateur boxing match in Derbyshire - BBC News
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I heard this week that a former fellow employee had died, he was 28 years old, apparently he went to bed but died in his sleep........................I have no other details as to the state of his health earlier that day.

Tennis death

Football death

Another football death

As tragic as any death is, death can happen at anytime without warning.........sometimes it can happen while out sightseeing.
spot

Re: The stop reporting boxing as a sport petition

Post by spot »

I checked the state of my petition.

It needs 100,000 signatures in order to require a debate at Westminster. It currently has 3.

I suspect the missing factor here is publicity.

I'm bumping the thread in order to drive it viral.

http://chng.it/ctdpFXqs

Return to “General Chit Chat”