Independent/Assisted Living

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am single, 81 years of age and live in a two bed two bath apartment that is age restricted (55 +) I do my own cooking and cleaning, drive a car and am physically active. Some of my neighbors have someone to come in and assist them with various daily activities. In anticipation of that day when I may require Assisted Living or more I went and toured the many different facilities in my area. Rather than leave this task to my married daughter I thought I would do it myself and tell her which ones I liked.

What an education I received, First, there are many facilities in my area and they seem to be quite aggressive in enticing potential residents with free lunches/dinners/happy hours etc. The amenities are many depending on the particular facility and costs run from around $3,500 a month to $10,000 a month. I am comfortable in knowing that I will be able to afford the higher level if needed. I just found out that the Long Term Care that I have had since age 57 would pay the same daily benefit as a Nursing Home and would cover a large portion of the cost of one of the better facilities. Frankly, I don't see me ever going into one of these places and will probably just up and die after a short illness, like my father did at age 92. BUT YA NEVER KNOW DO YA?

http:www.thoughtsandtravels
gmc

Post by gmc »

What happens if you had not been able to pay a long tgerm care plan are you basically left to your own devices or what?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc;1490157 wrote: What happens if you had not been able to pay a long tgerm care plan are you basically left to your own devices or what?

In the USA, when an old person can't care for themselves financially or physically they are sent to a nursing home & their Medicare benefits go towards payment, the rest being picked up by Medicaid. If there were a small bank account, home, any property at all, the gov't takes that. Medicaid kicks in when one is absolutely penniless. If no family or friends visit you to see if you are okay, then you are left to the caretakers. Some have a heart, some don't. Usually, one would be medicated all day & plopped in a wheelchair & put in bed at around 5-6pm. If one asks for anything----

Personally, I'd rather be dead.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm currently working on the Out Of Hours Support Line for a Domicilliary Care company. Funding comes from a variety of sources, which I believe are Means Tested, from being entirely self funded, to subsidised by Social Services, to being entirely funded by Social Services. My job is to take all sorts of calls, from the Emergencies, where there needs to be immediate coverage due to unexpected events, such as a carer being of sick, or a car having broken down. Sometimes we can get our other carers to cover. When we can't we try to get a sub-contractor to do it, but if all else fails, as happened last night, one of us from the office has to go out on the call. As it happened, just after I had left the office, the client's wife phoned in to say that her son had unexpectedly turned up & taken care of things himself, so it was a wasted journey on my part. Other times we just need to inform the carers of Keysafe numbers, or to follows procedures if there doesn't appear to be anyone at home - such as calling the client, if no answer calling the next of kin, then if all else fails, call paramedics / emergency services (for all we know the client may have had a fall & lying helpless - client safety comes foremost). This eventuality actually happened a few weeks ago when we had to send someone out of the office to meet with the Paras & Fire Services to force an entry. After they'd broken in with the carer's Tesco Clubcard, they found the lady fast asleep in bed having taken her hearing aids out, but the important thing was that she was safe.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Thanks for your response Anne. I think that answers GMC's question.I have had a good life and have tried to arrange things so that I am not a burden to family or society should I become incapacitated.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Lon;1490150 wrote: I am single, 81 years of age and live in a two bed two bath apartment that is age restricted (55 +) I do my own cooking and cleaning, drive a car and am physically active. Some of my neighbors have someone to come in and assist them with various daily activities. In anticipation of that day when I may require Assisted Living or more I went and toured the many different facilities in my area. Rather than leave this task to my married daughter I thought I would do it myself and tell her which ones I liked.

What an education I received, First, there are many facilities in my area and they seem to be quite aggressive in enticing potential residents with free lunches/dinners/happy hours etc. The amenities are many depending on the particular facility and costs run from around $3,500 a month to $10,000 a month. I am comfortable in knowing that I will be able to afford the higher level if needed. I just found out that the Long Term Care that I have had since age 57 would pay the same daily benefit as a Nursing Home and would cover a large portion of the cost of one of the better facilities. Frankly, I don't see me ever going into one of these places and will probably just up and die after a short illness, like my father did at age 92. BUT YA NEVER KNOW DO YA?

http:www.thoughtsandtravels

Lon ~

That is so great! It seems you are a planner and a healthy one at that. I admire that you have taken care of yourself, financially & physically. Kudos!!!

And you are right....YA NEVER KNOW so keep living life to the fullest!

I'm sure some times it is very hard but you seem to have a strong spirit! Beware, the assisted living places are not what they look like on the surface. After having my mom in one I learned all the dreaded things that go on. Do research and plenty of it.....there are reports required by most States...find them and read them. Those alone will help you to be stronger.

Anyway, I just popped in when I saw your post to congratulate YOU on your success at 81!

And you know there are not too many who would search out their 'future' living quarters...you must be someone who likes to keep control of your life (I can relate!)

I hope you are well and just precautious which is what I am feeling.

Be well....

Lady J
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I agree with you Lady J. That there Lon is an amazing fella ! I remember that it was not that long ago that Lon went to New Zealand ! That's a hellova long flight !!!!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Lon

Post by Lon »

G#Gill;1490239 wrote: I agree with you Lady J. That there Lon is an amazing fella ! I remember that it was not that long ago that Lon went to New Zealand ! That's a hellova long flight !!!!

I have spent half of each of the past 23 years in New Zealand and the other half in California, but will not be going back to NZ at this point in my life.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Lon;1490251 wrote: I have spent half of each of the past 23 years in New Zealand and the other half in California, but will not be going back to NZ at this point in my life.

That must have been an exhausting trip. I flew to The Philippines last year and I think New Zealand is even farther. It was terribly exhausting because I can't sleep on a plane. Because of the 15 hour time difference and our connections, I was about 46 hours without sleep with 2 intervals of naps of 10 or 15 minutes each. I don't intend to go back, not so much because of the travel time but because I was very disappointed with the country.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

I think about this all the time! I'm only 25 and I work in a facility where my residents can afford 5k a month and it's kinda scary because someday that will be me! No way can I afford 5k a month and no one tells you what to do to get ready for it!!! I'm praying to die in a an accident before 75 lol
Smoke signals ftw!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

ZAP;1490278 wrote: That must have been an exhausting trip. I flew to The Philippines last year and I think New Zealand is even farther. It was terribly exhausting because I can't sleep on a plane. Because of the 15 hour time difference and our connections, I was about 46 hours without sleep with 2 intervals of naps of 10 or 15 minutes each. I don't intend to go back, not so much because of the travel time but because I was very disappointed with the country.

What disappointed you?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Omni_Skittles;1490358 wrote: I think about this all the time! I'm only 25 and I work in a facility where my residents can afford 5k a month and it's kinda scary because someday that will be me! No way can I afford 5k a month and no one tells you what to do to get ready for it!!! I'm praying to die in a an accident before 75 lol

For a few dollars a paycheck, now, you could start a fund that could secure you a decent care option when you are an old fart. If you wait 'til your my age to sweat it, it will probably be too late.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1490367 wrote: What disappointed you?

I don't wish to highjack Lon's thread as I could write a short book on the problems with The Philippines. Suffice it to say, the horrible traffic, congestion everywhere, oppressive heat and humidity . . . .
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1490369 wrote: I don't wish to highjack Lon's thread as I could write a short book on the problems with The Philippines. Suffice it to say, the horrible traffic, congestion everywhere, oppressive heat and humidity . . . .

Not to mention the forest fires, pollution, violence, political troubles etc........... bit like the UK really I suppose, except those dreadful forest fires destroying all those essential trees ! :thinking: :(
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

LarsMac;1490368 wrote: For a few dollars a paycheck, now, you could start a fund that could secure you a decent care option when you are an old fart. If you wait 'til your my age to sweat it, it will probably be too late.sign me up! Lol I didn't know they even had those programs
Smoke signals ftw!
Lon

Post by Lon »

Omni_Skittles;1490358 wrote: I think about this all the time! I'm only 25 and I work in a facility where my residents can afford 5k a month and it's kinda scary because someday that will be me! No way can I afford 5k a month and no one tells you what to do to get ready for it!!! I'm praying to die in a an accident before 75 lol

Long Term Care Insurance is the answer.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1528256 wrote: Long Term Care Insurance is the answer.

How the devil are you Sir, well I hope?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I wonder if Lon has become forgetful. Well wishes to you, Lon. I always liked you.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1530388 wrote: I wonder if Lon has become forgetful. Well wishes to you, Lon. I always liked you.

A friend and former boss lives in one of those assisted living homes.

The building was originally a hotel. I've been to visit a few times, and it seems to be pretty decent. Nick is happy. When the Mrs goes, and I can no longer travel, I may look for such a place.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1530388 wrote: I wonder if Lon has become forgetful. Well wishes to you, Lon. I always liked you.

Definitely one of the good guys and much missed.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I hope he eventually found his Jane Fonda.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Chit Chat”