The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Re: The observation and asides thread

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:03 pm ...
I'm just going to shrug and walk away. :?
Sometimes, that is all you really can do.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

"the military removed at least a dozen National Guardsmen from inauguration duty over concerns about their ties."?

Clearly they ought to have been wearing uniform while on duty.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:39 pm "the military removed at least a dozen National Guardsmen from inauguration duty over concerns about their ties."?

BDU's don't have ties. More Democrat Lies. :roll:
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:26 pm
spot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:39 pm "the military removed at least a dozen National Guardsmen from inauguration duty over concerns about their ties."?

BDU's don't have ties. More Democrat Lies. :roll:
Thinly veiled threat to tell them they are on to them. That's why it's so obvious.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Procrastination ..... I don't really want to catch a train into Melbourne and back out again.

Just to go back again in a couple of days time.

2 hours and 14 mins on a train, then the same back out again almost immediately.

9:30 amMorwell Station
(Morwell Station, Princes Dr, Morwell VIC 3840)
Melbourne - Traralgon Via Pakenham, Moe & Morwell towards Melbourne
11:44 amSouthern Cross Station
(Southern Cross Station, Spencer St, Docklands VIC 3008)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

Do the windows open on that sort of train? I quite like an open window when I'm travelling and it would keep you safer.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

Talking of long train rides, when I was younger, I was petrified to fly in an Airplane.

So when I had to go Florida I left NYC in an Amtrak train that took between 26to 32 hours "one way" to get there! It depended on problems they had alone the way. And the same going home.

One time we hit a car that was crossing over a "train track crossing"! The car misjudged the train speed!

One time the train hit some metal debris on the train tracks and it bounced up under the bottom of the train and cut the hydraulic break lines between the coupling of the train cars! We were stuck 4 hours
to get the hoses, and then they had replace the cut lines.

At least I had a Sleeper Cabin! And the Dining car had good food! So that made it somewhat easier for me.
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

It sounds a lot better than driving. I enjoy long train journeys, I think the longest I've done was from the Hook of Holland to Moscow, with that odd change to broad gauge at Berlin. I had no idea how flat Eastern Europe was until then. Did your NYC to Florida Amtrak stay near the sea all the way, or was the scenery more varied?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm It sounds a lot better than driving. I enjoy long train journeys, I think the longest I've done was from the Hook of Holland to Moscow, with that odd change to broad gauge at Berlin. I had no idea how flat Eastern Europe was until then. Did your NYC to Florida Amtrak stay near the sea all the way, or was the scenery more varied?
The route goes more inland most of the way. The scenery is still somewhat interesting in some areas, but not many views of the Ocean.
My favorite train trip, so far, was the trip from Paris to Milan.
On one AMTRACK trip, from Denver to San Francisco, we left Denver with no diner car. Every meal time Amtrack would call ahead to some fast food outfit and order a ton of burgers or the like. The train would stop at a crossing near a town and a couple of cars, or vanes would roll up and start chucking bags of meals on to the train.

On the return trip, the train died in the middle of Wyoming, and we sat until a new set of Engines could get to us.

We also got bounced out of our bunk coming south from Portland Oregon to San Francisco, once, when a mild Earthquake hit the region.
Train travel in the US is NOT for the faint of heart.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

spot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm It sounds a lot better than driving. I enjoy long train journeys, I think the longest I've done was from the Hook of Holland to Moscow, with that odd change to broad gauge at Berlin. I had no idea how flat Eastern Europe was until then. Did your NYC to Florida Amtrak stay near the sea all the way, or was the scenery more varied?
No actually, not that scenic, unless you call going through/passing by the "shanty towns" down South in the Southern states scenery, the train tracks didn't go close to upscale towns.
Except for when going into the actual train stations.
cars

Post by cars »

cars wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm
No actually, not that scenic, (In Land) unless you call going through/passing by the "shanty towns" down South in the Southern states scenery, the train tracks didn't go close to upscale towns.
Except for when going into the actual train stations. (To pick up passengers also going to Florida.)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

And, much of the travel by train takes place at night in the US.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Well said Mary,
She suggested that older women should use their power to unnerve patriarchal societies. “Instead of the accusation of witchcraft being used to put women down, perhaps women can use the power of witchcraft for themselves. I may not talk to the dead, but that is something I really could believe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... 1612854370
spot

Post by spot »

"She has since named and shamed some of her online abusers" - and that, I think, is far and away the best option available. Dox the sods.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 am Well said Mary,
She suggested that older women should use their power to unnerve patriarchal societies. “Instead of the accusation of witchcraft being used to put women down, perhaps women can use the power of witchcraft for themselves. I may not talk to the dead, but that is something I really could believe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... 1612854370
When someone calls me a witch or slut or C ....I take it as a compliment . It usually denotes the power I have over another person for them to say that.

anyone can talk to the dead...........it's when they talk back, that's when the problems begin. lol
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I've been accused of being an actual witch. My Granny could take warts off people and she and several of my aunts could see ghosts. I guess they think it runs in the family.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:59 pm I've been accused of being an actual witch. My Granny could take warts off people and she and several of my aunts could see ghosts. I guess they think it runs in the family.
My eldest sister told everyone that myself and my mother were witches......she's not a well person.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 pm
Hope6 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:59 pm I've been accused of being an actual witch. My Granny could take warts off people and she and several of my aunts could see ghosts. I guess they think it runs in the family.
My eldest sister told everyone that myself and my mother were witches......she's not a well person.
A cousin of mine told my aunt that Jesus came to her and told her that another cousin and I were both very powerful witches. :? :roll:
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I'm all alone...... it says at the bottom of the page

browsing this forum: Hope6 and 0 guests

HELLOOOOOOOO.....echo.....echo...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

you guys be safe I just came off of 3 days with no electricity from an ice storm with another one coming Thursday that they say is worse than the last one. My son says we are de-evolving into cave people. :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 pm you guys be safe I just came off of 3 days with no electricity from an ice storm with another one coming Thursday that they say is worse than the last one. My son says we are de-evolving into cave people. :lol:
The British news has followed the storm and the crashed electric supply in America this week, it's been lethal. Do take care, it's bound to warm up eventually.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 am
Hope6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 pm you guys be safe I just came off of 3 days with no electricity from an ice storm with another one coming Thursday that they say is worse than the last one. My son says we are de-evolving into cave people. :lol:
The British news has followed the storm and the crashed electric supply in America this week, it's been lethal. Do take care, it's bound to warm up eventually.
The electric "Crash" is not America. It is Texas. They decided that the rest of the country was wrong, and built their very own grid. Told us to go fuck ourselves.

We do have some regional problem in other areas, with temporary outages, but nothing quite as ugly as in Texas.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2 ... mpaign=RSS

A somewhat less biased view:
https://apnews.com/article/100-million- ... 37b13899d6
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Just think, you could have got a beachside apartment around Guatemala City for the year.
spot

Post by spot »

This is just wonderful headlining.
'6.2cm-tall man' offered priority Covid vaccine after NHS blunder

Liam Thorp, whose real height is 6ft 2in, was recorded as having a BMI of 28,000

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... liam-thorp
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:35 am This is just wonderful headlining.

Liam Thorp, whose real height is 6ft 2in, was recorded as having a BMI of 28,000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see Greece is covered in snow as well.
spot

Post by spot »

And Jerusalem. People get cold there when it snows, they don't do serious central heating.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well I guess we now know what's coming our way for winter. We haven't had much of a summer.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Not just Athens, several of my friends on Crete are snowed in.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Hmmm... seems to be a decent blast then. I remember when America had that decent blast (one in a hundred years storm well it's happened again and I'm sure it's not a hundred years on.)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Hmmm... seems to be a decent blast then. I remember when America had that decent blast (one in a hundred years storm well it's happened again and I'm sure it's not a hundred years on.)
It’s a doozy ok, they really don’t know how to cope with it.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm
A lot of people these days think their belief is reality, rather than trying to focus on throwing away their belief and concentrating on what's actually happening. I reckon that explains why so many Americans die in car crashes too but I've been told before that I'm wrong. It certainly explains traffic statistics in India though.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:05 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm
A lot of people these days think their belief is reality, rather than trying to focus on throwing away their belief and concentrating on what's actually happening. I reckon that explains why so many Americans die in car crashes too but I've been told before that I'm wrong. It certainly explains traffic statistics in India though.
Not a case of beliefs, more a case of no snow clearing equipment for the roads and often insufficient heating in their homes because they’re not built in the expectation of such conditions.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

sitting here waiting for the briquette factory chimney demolition sounds. Two towers are coming down this morning....actually in ten minutes.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

feeling the reverberation of the second chimney....oh yeah baby. I reckon the air will be full of black dust today .
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 pm sitting here waiting for the briquette factory chimney demolition sounds. Two towers are coming down this morning....actually in ten minutes.
Six months behind schedule then.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 pm
magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 pm sitting here waiting for the briquette factory chimney demolition sounds. Two towers are coming down this morning....actually in ten minutes.
Ummm no.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Ummm no.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-06/ ... p/11080582 says it is.

I'll delete that if it's personal information though.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:42 pm
Ummm no.

No you're confusing the towers. The first two went in 2019 the other two were expected to be felled mid last year but they were felled this morning instead.
https://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au ... l/?cs=1462
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:11 pm
spot wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:42 pm
Ummm no.

No you're confusing the towers. The first two went in 2019 the other two were expected to be felled mid last year but they were felled this morning instead.
https://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au ... l/?cs=1462
That's what I wrote! "The total demolition is expected to be completed by September, 2020", hence the final two towers came down yesterday six months behind schedule!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

takes time and planning.... there is a lot of asbestos and black coal dust. Huge job in this area which has powered Victoria for decades. So while others are being sorted others are brought down.

spot

Post by spot »

Listening to the radio, with no associated imagery, gives rise to odd mental flashes. Archaeological excavation of the ancient slag found recently near the Nile was one such moment. Has the BBC no standards, I wondered?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am Listening to the radio, with no associated imagery, gives rise to odd mental flashes. Archaeological excavation of the ancient slag found recently near the Nile was one such moment. Has the BBC no standards, I wondered?
SPOOOT!!!..... Have some decorum. :roll: :lol:

would be interesting slag though.
spot

Post by spot »

The Internet can occasionally just fail when it comes to advice. Suitable words to respond to the loss of a pet should not include "That’s a shame. What a pity! Better luck next time", all of which were linked on the Cambridge Dictionary site.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 am The Internet can occasionally just fail when it comes to advice. Suitable words to respond to the loss of a pet should not include "That’s a shame. What a pity! Better luck next time", all of which were linked on the Cambridge Dictionary site.
"so...what's for dinner then?"

No?
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 pm
spot wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 am The Internet can occasionally just fail when it comes to advice. Suitable words to respond to the loss of a pet should not include "That’s a shame. What a pity! Better luck next time", all of which were linked on the Cambridge Dictionary site.

No?
That's ideal - I'll forward the suggestion immediately.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

No?
You don’t ask that in this house - my wife had a pet rabbit when she was young and she still hasn’t forgiven or forgotten.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:36 am

No?
That's ideal - I'll forward the suggestion immediately.
Post haste my good man.........You'll be the talk of the village!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 am

No?
You don’t ask that in this house - my wife had a pet rabbit when she was young and she still hasn’t forgiven or forgotten.
Oh yes. I remember dad coming back from ferreting. He had a big cage full of kittens. I must have been quite young because I thought he was the best dad in the world for bringing home baby rabbits for us to care for and love.

Nope!
spot

Post by spot »

The Theatre Royal Windsor opened its online booking office at 11 this morning. I clicked five seconds before and it was still closed. At 2 seconds past I clicked and got position 222 in the queue, though it processed them in three minutes and I bought my two tickets. I thought I'd post here and gloat.

I remember, fifty years back, seeing Ian McKellen on the stage of the Phoenix in Leicester playing Hamlet. This summer he's doing it again and I bet he's learned a few more tricks since then. I'm quite excited. Jowan and I have seats in the stalls for a matinee performance in August, and beds near the Tower of London so we can get to Windsor and back easily on the day.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Day light savings has kicked in on this long Easter weekend. Monday morning up early and now sitting here waiting for 9.00 am to come around so I can mow the lawns. I hate daylight savings! (pushing nature around again)
spot

Post by spot »

It's an unreasonable nuisance, I'm of the opinion that it was invented by prudish fundamentalists who disapproved of nightlife. I expect Mother Leadsom has views that way too.

Return to “General Chit Chat”