The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

I may have the wrong end of the stick regarding the four tankers limpet-mined this week, butThe UAE believes the attacks required high-level intelligence in order to identify the four oil tankers as targets, one of which – a Saudi ship – was at the opposite end of the anchorage area at Fujairah from the three other tankers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... udi-arabia

1. Do tankers not still have ports of registration in six foot high letters on their sterns?

2. Have binoculars been put on restricted sale to prevent commandos from using them?

And does high-level intelligence not wonder whether false flag operations have ever been conducted when blackening Iran occasionally seems desirable?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Seems to me that the Russian Oil firms would benefit the most from shutting down the Gulf Oil production.

A Saudi-Iran conflict would definitely cause such a shutdown.

And having The Donald in the middle of that to stir things up makes the US the bad guy, and everybody buys from Russia, or freezes next winter.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Does the US consume oil from the Middle East still? I thought production went mainly to the Far East, especially China and Japan.

US imports about 1m barrels a day from the Middle East and exports around 7.5m barrels a day worldwide. I don't see that as a dependence on Middle East oil. Japan and China take far more.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523224 wrote: Does the US consume oil from the Middle East still? I thought production went mainly to the Far East, especially China and Japan.

US imports about 1m barrels a day from the Middle East and exports around 7.5m barrels a day worldwide. I don't see that as a dependence on Middle East oil. Japan and China take far more.
Oh, heavens no.

We got them "Freedom Molecules" up the wazoo!

We're good. But with the Gulf closed down, ya'll gonna have to go east, with hat in hand, and very deep pockets.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Happy birthday. Will toast you with a scotch shortly.
cars

Post by cars »

It has been said there are "20" Democrats planning to run for POTUS for the 2020 presidential challenge run against Trump. Out of 20, one would hope there has to be at least one worthy challenger!
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

I'd hope all twenty are worthy. I don't think people put their name forward for the Presidency in order to get rich. Some think they have solutions which will improve some sector of society. Most, perhaps, want to prevent things happening which might otherwise happen.

I can't remember when there was last a candidate with a long-term plan though. Nobody has a policy which says this change is what we want people born today to have as adults.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bernie sanders!!!!!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Post by cars »

Hope they can do better than him!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1523412 wrote: Hope they can do better than him!

You'd like to see them put someone less-liberal/more-conservative up? Got a name?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
cars

Post by cars »

Ahso!;1523413 wrote: You'd like to see them put someone less-liberal/more-conservative up? Got a name?

Possibly for one, Beto - Need to see how he does in the debates.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1523418 wrote: Possibly for one, Beto - Need to see how he does in the debates.

What is it about O'Rourke that you like?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ahso!;1523421 wrote: What is it about O'Rourke that you like?

Looking at his website, I see nothing about regime-change policy or anything at all about foreign policy, where he stands on the Israeli/Palestinian issue. A president's main job is foreign policy.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
cars

Post by cars »

Ahso!;1523422 wrote: Looking at his website, I see nothing about regime-change policy or anything at all about foreign policy, where he stands on the Israeli/Palestinian issue. A president's main job is foreign policy.

Hopefully those type issues should likely be addressed during the debates. His name was just mentioned as someone of interest, to watch in the debates, not as a front runner.
spot

Post by spot »

spot

Post by spot »

My vocabulary increased today, I saw the word "nonpoc" and realized it wasn't a misprint. Google gives 90 hits, all from one tweet about a music event.
spot

Post by spot »

The Patrouille Suisse were due to fly over Langenbruck to honour the centenary of a Swiss flying pioneer.

But instead the team flew over the nearby town of Mümliswil, which was hosting the 31st Northwest Yodelling Festival.

A bit like bombing Warwick instead of Coventry.
spot

Post by spot »

Gosh, spammers are getting inventive with their tales...

We wish to inform you that a power of attorney was forwarded to our office this morning, by two gentlemen regarding your unclaimed fund of $56 Million Dollar. One of them is an American citizen named Mr. Robert Porter and the other is Mr. Wilhelm Berg a Swedish citizen.

The document claims these gentlemen to be your authorized representatives, and the power of attorney states that you are already deceased. It further states that your death was due to lung cancer, with your date of death being March 27th, 2019.

They have now submitted a new account to replace the receiving account that was in the original claim of funds. These funds have remained unclaimed for quite some time and the need for resolution is pressing.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Trump and Megan Rapinoe have had a bit of an issue with each other. Megan is the outspoken member of the US Women's World Cup Soccer team. Trump put her in his crosshairs when she said in no uncertain terms that she would not attend an invitation to the White House.

Well, some of the members of the team did a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photo shoot, Megan is one of them. I would not be surprised to learn that Trump will have the following photo on his ceiling above where he lays as he imagines Megan slapping him around. I doubt Melania will mind. Who knows, Don Jr and Eric just might join in dad's happy ending.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I wish women wouldn't do that.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1523829 wrote: I wish women wouldn't do that.

The tattoos?

Puzzles me too.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

you know what I mean.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm experimenting. What's Imgur...

spot

Post by spot »

... and this is Jowan's "Zombie Attack on Mount Rushmore"

spot

Post by spot »

Last one. I still have no idea how I'm getting them onto Imgur or why they're sticking to the site, I have no account with them.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1523813 wrote: Trump and Megan Rapinoe have had a bit of an issue with each other. Megan is the outspoken member of the US Women's World Cup Soccer team. Trump put her in his crosshairs when she said in no uncertain terms that she would not attend an invitation to the White House.

Well, some of the members of the team did a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photo shoot, Megan is one of them. I would not be surprised to learn that Trump will have the following photo on his ceiling above where he lays as he imagines Megan slapping him around. I doubt Melania will mind. Who knows, Don Jr and Eric just might join in dad's happy ending.

That's quite the imagination. LOL
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1523911 wrote: That's quite the imagination. LOL

Megan's the right color. Trump obviously doesn't like being slapped around by females of color. That makes him hard the other way.

Funny he would accuse these females of hating the US and wanting to change the so-called greatest nation on the planet, yet it's Trump who had the need to use the slogan "Make America Great Again" and seek to invalidate many of the treaties, laws, and agreements that were in place when he assumed office.

It looks to me that Trump is unraveling, and if I'm wrong, I'm only wrong in the timing, meaning he's already come apart. He becomes angry at anyone who has the audacity to disagree with anything he says or does.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1523914 wrote: Megan's the right color.

Just as an aside since we're on sport, are some sports in America still racially segregated? I saw a photo of the Washington Capitals team in the Oval Office with a beaming President Trump earlier, I thought I'd ask. The contrast with, say, the Baylor women’s basketball team is stark, though I confess I have no idea who Mr Baylor is.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1523935 wrote: Just as an aside since we're on sport, are some sports in America still racially segregated? I saw a photo of the Washington Capitals team in the Oval Office with a beaming President Trump earlier, I thought I'd ask. The contrast with, say, the Baylor women’s basketball team is stark, though I confess I have no idea who Mr Baylor is.

There haven't been many people other than white that have played professional hockey in the US. Segregation is now achieved by affluence and lack thereof. So, no, not officially afaik. There's little question in my mind that strong assertive females of color scare Trump to death though.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Seventeen people have been injured after two cars crashed at a "car cruise" gathering and ploughed into spectators.

The vehicles collided on Monkswood Way, Stevenage, at about 21:45 BST on Thursday at the gathering which included modified vehicles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-49041165

Far from criticizing these talentless boy-racers, the country should put them on the public payroll. Reducing the number of prats who want to go out and gawk at this sort of idiocy is well worth the investment.

If anyone would like a bet with me as to the nature and extent of insurance cover this "event" or its "drivers" pays out to the injured gawkers, do let me know. You may take the range £1 to £1bn, and I shall bet on £0. And I'll bet no organizer of the "charity event" gets prosecuted either. As for the police - despite the organizers saying they have done this pre-announced car cruise before, the police just issued a statement saying they had no knowledge it was taking place. Incompetent intelligence doesn't even scratch the surface.

Monkswood Way, should anyone be in doubt, is a public thoroughfare. 21:45 BST is dusk, sunset was a half hour earlier.

The quoted charity organizer describes himself online as an "Actor, Extra, Model" who would "enjoy keeping in shape from the gym, and keeping up an appearance. Flexible and willing to meet deadlines and requests. Can work with anyone in any situation". That's a lot of testosterone right there. He estimates the crash car was on that road, in that light with those crowds, travelling at "60 to 70 mph". I'm sure the police will eventually give their own figure.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

i'm intrigued...... no one has mentioned Boris yet

but may I just say .....HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Now you've got yourselves a "tony Abbott" ....that's so funny!

He'll make Britain Great Again .......oh fugwaffles it's so funny
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame;1524023 wrote: i'm intrigued...... no one has mentioned Boris yet

but may I just say .....HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Now you've got yourselves a "tony Abbott" ....that's so funny!

He'll make Britain Great Again .......oh fugwaffles it's so funny

We've all entered in to a deep depression and look on with disbelief whilst plotting our escape.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Wow. I feel very sorry for all my British friends. Your new prime minister does not look very good...in a lot of ways. He's being compared to Trump, and that's a bad thing. And the hair ....the hair...
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1524038 wrote: Wow. I feel very sorry for all my British friends. Your new prime minister does not look very good...in a lot of ways. He's being compared to Trump, and that's a bad thing. And the hair ....the hair...

I would hate to think this represents an instance of discrimination. He may not physically represent humanity at its finest but he still has feelings.

What he has to be judged by is his intellect, his productivity, his empathy and the extent to which he leaves his environment better than it was when he took it on. Ask "will he improve those he serves", not "does he look beddable?". He may resemble the Picture of Dorian Gray - his gargoyle presence is half his charm - but even so it's the first time in a century that there will be a succession of attractive women sneaked into number ten through the back door. I'm pretty sure a comparison with your dickless President doesn't extend to sexual prowess these days.

Are you familiar with Ubu Roi? Let me quote from Wikipedia...

Jarry's metaphor for the modern man, he is an antihero—fat, ugly, vulgar, gluttonous, grandiose, dishonest, stupid, jejune, voracious, greedy, cruel, cowardly and evil [...] "There is", writes Taylor, "a particular kind of pleasure for an audience watching these infantile attacks. Part of the satisfaction arises from the fact that in the burlesque mode which Jarry invents, there is no place for consequence. While Ubu may be relentless in his political aspirations, and brutal in his personal relations, he apparently has no measurable effect upon those who inhabit the farcical world which he creates around himself. He thus acts out our most childish rages and desires, in which we seek to gratify ourselves at all cost"

I would expect revivals of Ubu Roi in London later toward Halloween this year.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Boris, unlike Donald, seems to exhibit some intellectual ability, and even some empathy.

And he even seems to have a sense of humor.

Can't you guys send him back where he came from?

We'll be happy to send the Donald your way.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1524039 wrote: I would hate to think this represents an instance of discrimination. He may not physically represent humanity at its finest but he still has feelings.

By "looks," I of course meant that he seems like his policies will be very far to the right. Which is always bad. (racism, xenophobia, anti-poor policies...etc.)

Not does he look beddable. I'm pretty sure a comparison with your dickless President doesn't extend to sexual prowess these days.

1. He has a dick. It's just very small.

2. Stop obsessing about sex.

pleasure, satisfaction, burlesque personal relations, we seek to gratify ourselves at all cost"

I said stop obsessing about sex...
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1524042 wrote: By "looks," I of course meant that he seems like his policies will be very far to the right. Which is always bad. (racism, xenophobia, anti-poor policies...etc.)

There is no context in which an American can use the words "very far to the right" while referring to a British politician. No British politician in living memory has been "very far to the right" in any American sense. Or even "far to the right". Or even right-wing.

And in any context Boris is the antithesis of racist or xenophobic or as a neglecter of the poor. The first day in office he has guaranteed the right of permanent residence and employment to all EU citizens currently in the UK, in direct contradiction to Theresa May's policy of requiring registration and certification. He's immediately expanded NHS redevelopment.

And when has anyone considered Boris racist? Do you really think a chap can become Mayor of London, of all places, and then be re-elected Mayor of London, if even a hint of racism had ever attached itself to him?
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1523967 wrote: Monkswood Way, should anyone be in doubt, is a public thoroughfare. 21:45 BST is dusk, sunset was a half hour earlier.

The police are stuck doing paperwork by the sound of it.

"Extra resources" have been brought in to assist police following a "car cruise" crash in which vehicles ploughed into spectators.

The number injured people now stands at 18, following the two-car collision on Monkswood Way, Stevenage, at about 21:45 BST on Thursday. Four people remain in hospital.

Hertfordshire Police said both drivers had been "interviewed as part of the ongoing investigation" but no arrests had been made.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-49095352

I have no idea why the BBC feels quotation marks are required for "Extra resources", they're not used in the BBC's own front page link text. The usage seems both random and uninformed. For the record they're not grammatical but they're becoming pervasive among the BBC website staff. Two thirds of those commas in that second quote box are superfluous too.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1524043 wrote: No British politician in living memory has been "very far to the right" in any American sense. Or even "far to the right". Or even right-wing.

"Far-right politics in the United Kingdom have existed since at least the 1930s, with the formation of Nazi, fascist and anti-semitic movements. It went on to acquire more explicitly racial connotations, being dominated in the 1960s and 1970s by self-proclaimed white nationalist organisations that oppose non-white and Muslim immigration, such as the National Front (NF), the British Movement (BM) and British National Party (BNP), or the British Union of Fascists (BUF). Since the 1980s, the term has mainly been used to describe those who express the wish to preserve what they perceive to be British culture, and those who campaign against the presence of non-indigenous ethnic minorities and what they perceive to be an excessive number of asylum seekers." - Wikipedia
spot

Post by spot »

And all of that is true, yes, and none of it relates to any British politician. Anyone in Britain can form a political party. I've done it. Other people have done it. Even Nigel Farage did it twice. What they can't do is get elected to Westminster if they represent Nazi, fascist, racist or anti-semitic movements. No candidate for the National Front (NF), the British Movement (BM), the British National Party (BNP) or the British Union of Fascists (BUF) or the Brexit Party (BP) or the English Defence League (EDL) or the UK Independence Party (UKIP) or any other half-arsed acronymic hate group has ever been returned as a Member of Parliament to the House of Commons at Westminster.

Whereas, in America, Nazi, fascist or anti-semitic candidates merely get selected by one of the two recognized ruling clique parties and hey presto, they're elected to Washington. Well, except anti-semitic candidates these days. These days nobody gets selected to either main party if they're not vocal supporters of the Israeli government. Go on, show me I'm wrong by naming a couple.

That's how we differ constitutionally. No British politician in living memory has been "very far to the right" in any American sense. Or even "far to the right". Or even right-wing. Rabid wanabees of the far right we have. British MPs who would be called right-wing by an American? Not one. Take Nigel Farage for example, you'd call him right wing. Nigel Farage has stood for election to the House of Commons seven times, in five general elections and two by-elections, but has not won any of those elections. I'd say that qualifies him as a rabid wanabee rather than a British politician, wouldn't you?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I'm more amused that there will be puppetry of the penis ...Trump wants to make America great again, Boris just said in a speech he wants to make Britain/England the greatest country in the world . FFS boys just build a couple of sky scrapers and stop this incessant need to make things "great" .

Meanwhile back in Australia our prime minister is telling us all we need "more love and prayer". IDK maybe we're already great? lol
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1523967 wrote: If anyone would like a bet with me as to the nature and extent of insurance cover this "event" or its "drivers" pays out to the injured gawkers, do let me know. You may take the range £1 to £1bn, and I shall bet on £0. And I'll bet no organizer of the "charity event" gets prosecuted either.

The BBC has a provocative attack today on the entire concept of "car cruising". Not before time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-49151173 - I'll quote in italics.

A retail estate in Dunstable is the monthly meeting place for the area's car cruisers. That, for passing Americans, means some sort of out-of-town Mall. It's where normal people park while shopping. During car cruises these normal people have to put up with the dregs of humanity gawping at the noisiest, most polluting pieces of machinery ever foisted on this long-suffering planet. For some reason, in England these witless twerps are allowed to break every law in the book regarding noise offence. Even in town here half the teenagers with so much as a scooter have deliberately removed the baffles so as to cause eardrums to bleed among the pedestrians they crawl past. I have no idea at all why their vehicles aren't impounded and crushed. Pimped-up cars are welcome? Do these despicable tossers not even know what pimps are? They want to be thought of as pimps?

The way to know whether these events are offensive is to go back the next day and see if there are spinning black tyre patterns smeared onto the road surface. If anyone would like to claim that even one event has finished without any such marks I'd be delighted to see them say so.

cruising is a family-friendly hobby like any other? They'd be less damaging to the planet's resources if they took up fracking.

Their daughter Phoebe, wearing pink ear defenders, has joined them for the meet. There it is in a nutshell. They'll protect Phoebe, they recognize the necessity to defend Phoebe, but they're surrounded by unprotected shoppers trying to get the week's groceries who wish them all to the devil.

The meet is marshalled by a team of yellow-vested volunteers who are poised to oust anybody misbehaving. This includes anyone revving their engine for too long. Too long? In what way is "revving their engine" socially acceptable in any circumstance? In what way is "revving their engine" not already a criminal offence?

A 700bhp Vauxhall Astra van is already, by its mere existence, stomach-turningly disgusting in the same way that a spilled trailer of horse manure on the high street would be disgusting.

Impound and crush the cars with zero tolerance. Problem solved.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Havent seen anything like that for a long long time. They are all held at racing car tracks these days.
spot

Post by spot »

There's a baffling tale this week of an old age pensioner being given a local procedure at Leicester Royal Infirmary to shore up his sphincter with an injection to help keep his underwear dry, and the hospital erroneously circumcising him instead. And it was done under a local anaesthetic, and he was there with the team the entire time conscious, and he never said a word to stop them while they whipped the end of his john thomas off and wrapped a plaster round it.

It's the not paying attention or asking why they had a knife in their hand that puzzles me. You'd think the knife was a significant warning sign. But no, the first he knows about it is when they take him into a side office hours later and apologize.

I'm not sure why we let pensioners into hospitals in the first place.
spot

Post by spot »

Some stories are just perfect.

Elsewhere at the convention, Droogie, a hacker, described a rather less successful way of testing the cybersecurity of license plates: registering a custom license plate with the California department of motor vehicles that read “NULL”, the code used in a number of common database systems used to represent an empty entry.

Unfortunately, rather than giving him the power of administrative invisibility, Droogie experienced almost exactly the opposite outcome, receiving more than $12,000 in driving tickets. Every single speeding ticket for which no valid license plate could be found was assigned to his car. The Los Angeles police department eventually scrapped the tickets but advised the hacker to change his plates, or the same problem would continue to hit him.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ce-cameras

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1524248 wrote: There's a baffling tale this week of an old age pensioner being given a local procedure at Leicester Royal Infirmary to shore up his sphincter with an injection to help keep his underwear dry, and the hospital erroneously circumcising him instead. And it was done under a local anaesthetic, and he was there with the team the entire time conscious, and he never said a word to stop them while they whipped the end of his john thomas off and wrapped a plaster round it.

It's the not paying attention or asking why they had a knife in their hand that puzzles me. You'd think the knife was a significant warning sign. But no, the first he knows about it is when they take him into a side office hours later and apologize.

I'm not sure why we let pensioners into hospitals in the first place.

What were you doing in Leicester?
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1524442 wrote: What were you doing in Leicester?

The tale was not autobiographical!
spot

Post by spot »

Twelve girls were registered as Demelza in England and Wales last year. Perhaps it will enhance their social standing once they reach adulthood.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Demelza's was a live music venue and nightclub, great nights out at that place.
spot

Post by spot »

Naming children after the place they were initially contemplated ought to be mandatory.

I bet that's where all the Roxys started. And all those boys called Empire and Academy.

Return to “General Chit Chat”