The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Got home on Monday, about 19:00, after a long day of people phoning to say that their Electric supply was off (usually because they hadn't topped up). I had just made myself comfy & turned on my PC & then got hit by a Power Cut.

I called 105 (just as I would advise customers in similar situation) where a recorded message told me that there was a known issue & supply expected to be restored by 23:00. As it happened it only took another half hour, so good job done by them.
spot

Post by spot »

That's something I had never seen mentioned, I had no idea.

While looking it up after seeing your post I also saw "from landlines and mobiles only" as a footnote to various reserved dialing codes. I'm left wondering what alternatives there are.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/0 ... ng_aspire/

The Resister notes with dismay that had the present RAF training period applied to recruits enlisting in response to the Munich Crisis of 1938 they would still not have qualified for frontline deployment by the time World War 2 was finished, victory declared and Clem Atlee's post-war government elected. What on earth are they having to teach these would-be barnstormers nowadays? Remedial Etiquette? Reading?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

It’s debatable whether Atwood would have ever returned to Gilead but for two things: the hit TV adaptation of her 1985 novel The Handmaid’s Tale, and that Donald Trump’s administration seems to be using the original as some sort of guidebook to run the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/books ... en-sequels

I enjoy paragraphs like that.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I was totally gobsmacked last night during a video chat with someone who had reason to keep a photo of me when I was around twenty years old . I have a slight hole in time where there are no photos of myself ...last night I saw a sexy pretty young blonde with a figure that I would kill for these days ....................Oh youth where did you go?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

A French company has been found liable for the death of an employee who had a cardiac arrest while having sex with a stranger on a business trip.

A Paris court ruled that his death was an industrial accident and that the family was entitled to compensation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49662134

Bon sang !
spot

Post by spot »

Could someone outside the UK see whether the video at https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrib ... ries-songs will play abroad? It's our children's TV website with, oddly enough given the accents, British actors.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1525030 wrote: Could someone outside the UK see whether the video at https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrib ... ries-songs will play abroad? It's our children's TV website with, oddly enough given the accents, British actors.

"Sorry, CBBC games and videos can only be played if you are in the UK.

You’re seeing this page because it looks like you’re outside the UK. If you are in the UK, please close your browser and try again. If that still doesn’t work there may be a problem with your internet connection."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Bah. Not what I needed at all then. Thank you.
cars

Post by cars »

Never mind.
Cars :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

sick of seeing news broadcasts and videos that are blank and state "not available in your region"
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1523967 wrote: As for the police - despite the organizers saying they have done this pre-announced car cruise before, the police just issued a statement saying they had no knowledge it was taking place. Incompetent intelligence doesn't even scratch the surface.

Monkswood Way, should anyone be in doubt, is a public thoroughfare. 21:45 BST is dusk, sunset was a half hour earlier.

It's scandalous and beyond comprehension that nobody has yet been arrested for anything related to this blatantly criminal venture. Was nobody speeding? Was nobody driving dangerously?

https://www.thecomet.net/news/stevenage ... -1-6260840 is the latest news report and what it says is that the police have taken no steps whatever. The council is belatedly attempting to move all future events from Stevenage into, presumably, Slough or some other equally benighted sink town.

Perhaps if the Chief Constable were suspended it would encourage his underlings to wake up and at least grill a few obvious suspects. Like the talentless boy-racers, at least.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

You go greta!!!! Give em' a good tongue lashing!!!!!!!
spot

Post by spot »

Mohammad bin Salman denies ordering Khashoggi murder

Norah O'Donnell: Did you order the murder of Jamal Khashoggi?

Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman (Translation): Absolutely not.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mohammad-b ... 019-09-29/

I do not believe you, Mr Salman. Take an oath on your Koran in front of a news camera and say you did not know in advance that the operation was taking place, then I might believe you. Saying you didn't order his murder is a weaselly equivocation.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1525708 wrote: I do not believe you, Mr Salman. Take an oath on your Koran in front of a news camera and say you did not know in advance that the operation was taking place, then I might believe you. Saying you didn't order his murder is a weaselly equivocation.

I agree. Salman is as slimy as they come.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Re Boris...

spot;1524039 wrote: I would expect revivals of Ubu Roi in London later toward Halloween this year.

We all know King Ubu. That deranged dictator we all love to hate.

Impossibly greedy, unstoppably crude, inexorably daft and hell-bent on making the country great again!

Sound familiar?

https://shoreditchtownhall.com/whats-on/kneehigh-ubu

I bet it will be wonderful stuff.
spot

Post by spot »

People keep talking about heroism. Here's heroism, this is magnificence.

Watch manager Thomas Wolfe explained: "When we arrived a gentleman was tackling the fire using a fire extinguisher. We took over from him and quickly dealt with the blaze.

"It soon transpired that it was Jason Donovan who noticed the fire from his property over the road."

Jason Donovan tackles neighbour's fire in underpants

The greatest country on earth, Australia.
spot

Post by spot »

“The thing about the greased piglet is that he manages to slip through other people’s hands where mere mortals fail.” That was the optimistic assessment of Boris Johnson’s chances of getting his Brexit deal through parliament by former prime minister David Cameron on Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... id-cameron

He could have chosen a seemlier metaphor...

David Cameron has finally denounced allegations relating to his private parts, a dead pig and a university initiation ceremony as “false and ludicrous”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 11246.html

spot

Post by spot »

It's unkind, it really is.

England's Joe Denly will have had better times than he endured on the final day of the second Test in Hamilton. [...] BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said it was possibly the worst drop he had seen in Test cricket. "Even if you took your 95-year-old grandma out in the garden now, in the dark, and threw her a tennis ball from five yards, she'd catch that."

Former New Zealand captain Jeremy Coney had only seen an easier catch dropped "in an under-nines game in a heavy wind", while England bowler Steven Finn described it as a "goober".

Joe Denly dropped catch: 'The worst-ever drop in Test cricket'

But the best part, far and away, is the photo of the bowler, Jofra Archer, laughing. That's a sportsman.

spot

Post by spot »

I came here for a reason, I'm trying to remember what it was.

Ah. World parcel post.

A snapshot of the current state of the world from a delivery perspective, from the UK's parcel service. They're wonderfully thorough. This is the 7am update, today.

Service Updates UK

All our drivers are out collecting and delivering as normal today. Any service issues will be detailed below.

UK Service Issues: Advisory: Continued High Parcel Volumes - Operational Issues

International Service Issues:

Australia - Bush Fires

Brazil - Customs Delays

Channel Islands - Operational Issues

Finland - Strike Action

France - Strike Action (impact on multiple countries)

Nicaragua - Operational Issues

Saudi Arabia - Customs Delays

South Africa & Namibia - Operational Delays

Spain (Madrid only) - Climate Summit 2019

Spain (Madrid) - Climate Summit 2019

Countries we do not currently deliver to

Afghanistan - No service except GX

Guinea-Bissau

Ivory Coast - Partially suspended

Libya - No service except GX

Somalia

Syria

Ukraine - Partially suspended

Venezuela

Yemen - No service except GX

The GX option, for those wondering, is the UK Parcel service GlobalExpress option which starts at £43.50, which is eyewatering.
spot

Post by spot »

Some choices are quite blatantly mistakes.

Hiroshima buildings that survived atomic bomb to be demolished
spot

Post by spot »

For anyone who didn't notice before Christmas, https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/d ... ylor-swift is a magnificent review of Cats.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Just wondering if our PM is going to be held on assault charges after physically forcing a woman to shake his hand. I'm hoping this disaster will be his undoing.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Sitting in the library listening to people talk about how choking the smoke is outside. Not even the librarys' air purifier is keeping up .
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1525834 wrote: People keep talking about heroism. Here's heroism, this is magnificence.

The greatest country on earth, Australia.

where I live that's a normal neighbourly thing to do. lol ....underpants is a dress code lol
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1529412 wrote: Sitting in the library listening to people talk about how choking the smoke is outside. Not even the librarys' air purifier is keeping up .

Glad to know that you are safe.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Good to have you back Magenta, hope you are well
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Thanks Lars. Yeah I'm fine. I still live in Gippsland but not threatened by the fires yet. I havent yet transferred to another brigade but will in time when I have my own situation sorted. This new job gives me 10 days paid volunteer time. So it will happen eventually. thinking I might sit this one out to be honest. I have a feeling there will be a change to training after all is settled. But I have to be honest I'm all fired out. I don't believe I'm the only one who is finding all the hype around this disaster somewhat distressing, remembering we are only at the beginning of summer and not in fire season yet. but happy if anyone wants to know any numbers as to what it has cost us so far.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1529497 wrote: Thanks Lars. Yeah I'm fine. I still live in Gippsland but not threatened by the fires yet. I havent yet transferred to another brigade but will in time when I have my own situation sorted. This new job gives me 10 days paid volunteer time. So it will happen eventually. thinking I might sit this one out to be honest. I have a feeling there will be a change to training after all is settled. But I have to be honest I'm all fired out. I don't believe I'm the only one who is finding all the hype around this disaster somewhat distressing, remembering we are only at the beginning of summer and not in fire season yet. but happy if anyone wants to know any numbers as to what it has cost us so far.

Well, the media has to have SOMETHING to wring their collective hands over. But, all over the northern hemisphere there were record fires this summer. It will be the new norm for a while.

Still, take care of yourself first.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1529508 wrote: Well, the media has to have SOMETHING to wring their collective hands over. But, all over the northern hemisphere there were record fires this summer. It will be the new norm for a while.

Still, take care of yourself first.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/06/aust ... K0x6fHZUIY

If you can't bring that link up let me know.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

[Double Post]
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1529726 wrote: https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/06/aust ... K0x6fHZUIY

If you can't bring that link up let me know.

And I was just reading that in the midst of discussing the fires, and CO2 saturation levels, your polis are allowing the development of what could be the largest Coal mine in the world.

That and the Tar Sands projects in Alberta, and the US oil companies going after the Bakken Oil fields, I am not at all comforted that we will be nipping this Global Warming thing before I am in the ground.

But, HEY! We're making real progress on banning plastic straws.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I went to unload my washing machine and it had an E16 error code on the panel. The next half hour consisted of tracking down the error code list for a WAB28161GB/01 - the instruction manual didn't list it. Finally I got one. An E16 means "door open". I latched the door properly and the wash cycle has now commenced.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1529917 wrote: I went to unload my washing machine and it had an E16 error code on the panel. The next half hour consisted of tracking down the error code list for a WAB28161GB/01 - the instruction manual didn't list it. Finally I got one. An E16 means "door open". I latched the door properly and the wash cycle has now commenced.

Bangs head on wall, half an hour? really, basic search of 'E16 bosch washing machine' would have thrown the answer up. Two minutes.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1529921 wrote: Bangs head on wall, half an hour? really, basic search of 'E16 bosch washing machine' would have thrown the answer up. Two minutes.

The very first item on my standard troubleshooting guide for assorted semi-intelligent appliances has long been, "check door/lid for proper latching. (open and shut door/lid)"
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1529921 wrote: Bangs head on wall, half an hour? really, basic search of 'E16 bosch washing machine' would have thrown the answer up. Two minutes.

But they might all be different, I had to take a photo of the backplate to find the model and then find the code for that particular machine. The same code on a different model might have meant radioactive contaminant.

LarsMac;1529923 wrote: The very first item on my standard troubleshooting guide for assorted semi-intelligent appliances has long been, "check door/lid for proper latching. (open and shut door/lid)"

I do not feel my effort has been sufficiently appreciated at this point.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1529924 wrote: But they might all be different, I had to take a photo of the backplate to find the model and then find the code for that particular machine. The same code on a different model might have meant radioactive contaminant.

I would have sorted the issue and had the washing done and in the drier by the time you walked to another room, found the phone, found your glasses and walked back to the machine to take a photo. Insert humongous rolling eyes smiley face here!

You really do over think and then over complicate things.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1529924 wrote: But they might all be different, I had to take a photo of the backplate to find the model and then find the code for that particular machine. The same code on a different model might have meant radioactive contaminant.

I was simply trying to save you some time on your next encounter.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Chickens.

They used to be sat in the supermarket with their legs tucked in all sort of neat and tidy, these days they are waving their legs around in the air! What's that all about?
spot

Post by spot »

The old approach to animal welfare was to accustom the chicken to very little space by giving them yoga classes from a very young age. Recent legislation has meant that the space restriction has been banned, chickens now have far more room to move around and yoga lessons have been discontinued to offset the extra cost. They now have large-screen TV displays at each end of their barns instead.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1529730 wrote: And I was just reading that in the midst of discussing the fires, and CO2 saturation levels, your polis are allowing the development of what could be the largest Coal mine in the world.

"It's scary ****! Adani mine. Have a look at the reputation of Adani. When you can't get backing from Australian banks, something is definitely wrong. But unions are backing it because they are all corrupt now."

That and the Tar Sands projects in Alberta, and the US oil companies going after the Bakken Oil fields, I am not at all comforted that we will be nipping this Global Warming thing before I am in the ground.

But, HEY! We're making real progress on banning plastic straws.

Umm...don't know how I answered that within the post. (New phone)

But on top of that. I've just seen the fake news put about the world about our fires. I'm absolutely beside myself.... they weren't lit by firebugs/arsonists. 1 % of our fires were lit by arsonists in one state. Our fires are national. The lies are more traumatic than the fires.

But I would like to say.....ahem.... on behalf of my fellow Australians. I would just like to say we are extremely thankful to others around the world who have donated their time, money and lives helping us fight these fires since winter last year. We know it is due to climate change and finally the Murdoch press and our politicians are now saying the words 'climate change.' It's sad that we had to come to something like this for a wake up call for the deniars. We did not lose as many people this time round because we had a practice run ten years ago....But for many it was bloody close. There will be another royal commission and hopefully we will see real action this time for those states who didn't need the warning of the Victorian one.

Again....thank you to all. But the fires still burn and new ones begin. It will be on going for months to come. Thank you for your well wishes and help.
spot

Post by spot »

There's an opinion piece in The Guardian with the headline "We will end female genital mutilation only by backing frontline activists".

The author is quite mistaken. We will end genital mutilation only by confiscating the assets of every adult who mutilates the genitals of any child. People are bothered by the prospect of poverty. You can't execute them, you can't imprison them but you can definitely make them bankrupt and homeless.

I've no objection to any adult requesting and getting the procedure for their own body so long as they want it and they're not being coerced. Doing it to a child without informed consent is an atrocity. If it's cultural then fine, just get informed consent from the culturally engaged individual beforehand.

And I do wish this blasted gender bias was removed from the argument too.
spot

Post by spot »

Cornwall's arterial connection with England is about to get constipation for the next six years, and it only costs £290M. Anyone wanting to commute up-country from Redruth is advised to buy a helicopter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51420300
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1530215 wrote: Cornwall's arterial connection with England is about to get constipation for the next six years, and it only costs £290M. Anyone wanting to commute up-country from Redruth is advised to buy a helicopter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51420300

Are you ok? It's been in the pipeline for six years and will be completed by 2023?

We put up with years of hell whilst Bodmin was done and we'll put up with this cos we do appreciate the difference it makes.

I'll also say we put up with years of hell for cable to get up country, meanwhile we don't have it ourselves!
spot

Post by spot »

It's expected to be finished in 2023 so it's four years, not six. My mistake.

If you want to get anywhere quicker, live in Bristol.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1530242 wrote: It's expected to be finished in 2023 so it's four years, not six. My mistake.

If you want to get anywhere quicker, live in Bristol.

Four years?? I'll ask again, are you ok?
spot

Post by spot »

It's 46 months until the last day of 2023, I'd call that four years.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Meanwhile in Russia.....Jehovah's witnesses are now deemed as "extremist" "terrorist" group. Yep pacifists are now the new terrorists. Bloody hell!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1530257 wrote: Meanwhile in Russia.....Jehovah's witnesses are now deemed as "extremist" "terrorist" group. Yep pacifists are now the new terrorists. Bloody hell!

I might call Jehovah's Witnesses many things but pacifist isn't one of them. Their literature is full of being on the right side in the coming conflict, isn't it? Can you give a hint where I could look up their pacifist credentials?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

https://www.centeronconscience.org/comp ... esses.html

As good as it gets, I think

They ae not pacifists in the strictest sense, perhaps, but they have long objected to taking part in the warfare.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”