The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I often get an idea or observation about this or that that doesn't warrant a thread but might be worth sharing here, so here is my first one.

We eat minced beef perhaps once a week, either with pasta or shepherds pie, and it is me that cooks most times.

I have always complained about the fat content.

I fry it dry, put the mince into a pan and heat it until it's own fat content is released so it fries in it's own fat until browned. It would be drained of in a wire strainer before adding further ingredients.

Now the observation.....................the latest selection of minced beef is fat reduced and it doesn't fry by itself anymore......and.......without the beef fat content it doesn't taste the same......or is it just me?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Whether we like it or not (the consequences not the taste) fat is essential. It gives food flavour and texture. Id shop around for that bit of extra fat in your mince.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I switched to minced pork some years ago, can't stand the smell of minced beef cooking! I don't add fat but there certainly isn't the amount of fat that the beef used to produce.
spot

Post by spot »

Pah. I smother any form of meat in oil before I start cooking it, mince included. The less oil the meat contains the more I swill it in oil. My chicken practically drowns in oil before the heat gets to it. Oil is the predominant constituent of any meat dish I plan. Some people are just wimps.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1480656 wrote: Pah. I smother any form of meat in oil before I start cooking it, mince included. The less oil the meat contains the more I swill it in oil. My chicken practically drowns in oil before the heat gets to it. Oil is the predominant constituent of any meat dish I plan. Some people are just wimps.

I have several signature dishes, for the fried chicken thighs, I don't add any oil at all. After trimming the access skin, I put the seasoned chicken skin side down in a heated dry pan, by the time it needs turning there is more than enough cooking fat.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I prefer not to have a layer of fat floating on top of my dinner.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is my birthday today..................where were the cards ?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1480834 wrote: It is my birthday today..................where were the cards ?

Happy Birthday Bruv!:yh_party
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1480834 wrote: It is my birthday today..................where were the cards ?

Sorry, moonpig.com was down and I couldn't send you any.

Hippy Barthday!! :-6
spot

Post by spot »

Seasonal congratulations.

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow

For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us

And so say all of us, and so say all of us

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow

For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us.

Na zdrowie - sto lat!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I thank you all.

Spot Nie ma jeszcze towarzysza
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

My latest peeve.............does anybody else find these adverts......on the edge of being offensive ?

I am sure there was a series of them

Thought they were stopped, after public reaction, but perhaps they have toned them down a little.

spot

Post by spot »

I didn't understand it at all. I've no idea what they were trying to advertise. I rarely see adverts but when I do I'm often puzzled why anyone would pay to have them made like that, much less shown. Most are shockingly uninspired. There was a series by DirectTV, I remember, which were memorable, though I wouldn't have bought their product even so.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1481130 wrote: I didn't understand it at all. I've no idea what they were trying to advertise. I rarely see adverts but when I do I'm often puzzled why anyone would pay to have them made like that, much less shown. Most are shockingly uninspired. There was a series by DirectTV, I remember, which were memorable, though I wouldn't have bought their product even so.

I disagree, adverts are among some of the best short films you can hope to see on TV.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

This is advert that has come second in the most complained about.

Obvious really.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1481136 wrote: I disagree, adverts are among some of the best short films you can hope to see on TV.

Or more often, worst.

I do like a clever ad, but they are rare, IMHO.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

OK I concede many are trash, some of the others are irritating, but amongst the trashy, irritating, formula ads and programs you get a minor work of art.

Here is an old Guinness ad

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Guinness does some clever ads.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Sorry.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY BRUV!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1481145 wrote: I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Sorry.

Thank you Annie, you may have to get detention if you keep bunking off (Thats English for repeated unofficial absence)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Talking of English slang, this was one of my questions today in the quiz......."Give it a lash means which of the following ?"

I have never heard of 'the lash' in that context, has any of the other Brits on here ?

The supposedly correct answer ? Try Something ?

Also in the quiz, frequently was spelled frecuently..........doesn't give you much trust in the quiz adjudicators does it ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1481147 wrote: Talking of English slang, this was one of my questions today in the quiz......."Give it a lash means which of the following ?"

I have never heard of 'the lash' in that context, has any of the other Brits on here ?

Also in the quiz, frequently was spelled frecuently..........doesn't give you much trust in the quiz adjudicators does it ?
You have evidently found a typo - it should have related to "give it a bash".

Maybe the question was set by an American.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1481146 wrote: you may have to get detention if you keep bunking off (Thats English for repeated unofficial absence)

Good lord is that what it means? My old housemaster would be spinning in his grave if he heard you use such an expression.

It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different. One does not "bunk off", one applies for an exeat in advance or, should an emergency have arisen, retrospectively.

I note from the BBC that medics have reported a number of cases where patients have developed tingly, numb thighs from wearing figure-hugging low-cut denim trousers. In light of this disturbing news I may have to rethink my wardrobe.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1481147 wrote: Talking of English slang, this was one of my questions today in the quiz......."Give it a lash means which of the following ?"

spot;1481148 wrote: You have evidently found a typo - it should have related to "give it a bash".

Never heard of it in the States.

A quick google suggests it came from Ireland, though the only real supporting info seems to stem from a musical fan of the Irish Football team.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1481150 wrote: A quick google suggests it came from Ireland, though the only real supporting info seems to stem from a musical fan of the Irish Football team.

Ah. That makes sense. Back when education was predominantly the domain of nuns, Irish boys were always being reminded to respect the senior clergy. Bishop-bashing was a mortal sin if you were Catholic.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1481148 wrote: You have evidently found a typo - it should have related to "give it a bash".

The question was set by an American, don't be coy.

Or it could have been totally mixed up and been the more widely English usage of the word lash, as in 'going on the lash'.

But then as we don't mix in the same circles you might never have come across that use.

But what about the frecuently, yet another typo in the same quiz ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1481152 wrote: But what about the frecuently, yet another typo in the same quiz ?
It occurs so often, I'd say it was more an alternate spelling than a mistake. Google will show you 550 instances if you ask it nicely, some in reference to "Sequrity".
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I seem to remember the origin of Bunking Off referred to "Running Away To Sea" (as in a Cabin Bunk).
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1481149 wrote: Good lord is that what it means? My old housemaster would be spinning in his grave if he heard you use such an expression.

It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different. One does not "bunk off", one applies for an exeat in advance or, should an emergency have arisen, retrospectively.

I note from the BBC that medics have reported a number of cases where patients have developed tingly, numb thighs from wearing figure-hugging low-cut denim trousers. In light of this disturbing news I may have to rethink my wardrobe.

We bunked or skived off school, one would NEVER apply for an exeat in advance nor retrospectively. You just did it and never offered any explanation to anyone.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1481163 wrote: We bunked or skived off school, one would NEVER apply for an exeat in advance nor retrospectively. You just did it and never offered any explanation to anyone.

Looks like we are from similar social spheres Betty.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I hate to pick on the Beeb, what with Spot's continual campaign about the grammar and such like.

But the desk in the BBC Wimbledon Studio has wound me up since I first saw it this year.

It has a thick glass looking corner that projects toward the front HERE

It is aesthetically unpleasing and a danger to any toddlers roaming the studio, it could take an eye out or bring up a bloodied lump on low level foreheads.

Why didn't they shape the front to mirror the logo on the desk top ?

I may write them a stiff letter.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

As another observation I have to report I have acquired a stomach that shelters soap suds when I bathe and I hate it.

I have always been svelte, others might say slight, but slim enough anyway that I have never needed to lift my belly to make sure the soap was washed away.

I may have to diet.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I've spent nights awake worrying about that desk myself and hope to God there are no young infants running around that studio.

I've also wondered how it doesnt topple over with that overhanging, top heavy design.

As for the island belly. I always swore I'd never get one but I have and at our age - well, my age - it's harder to make it go away

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am glad it's not just me then, don't think it's worth an online petition though.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Recent photos of Angela Merkel show that the job seems to have aged her quite remarkably.

Must be a tough job.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1482650 wrote: Recent photos of Angela Merkel show that the job seems to have aged her quite remarkably.

Must be a tough job.

Oh.....I see......that is YOUR observation or aside.

I was trying to work out what that has to do with my belly.

Many of our leaders age quickly, Barack wasn't always that grey.....sorry gray.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The chances are that it's not really there at all - just the result of some Green Screening. After all, look at some of the impressive effects they do with 3D graphics when they're doing the Elections - and they have to keep changing.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Funny how peoples minds work, well, mine anyway.

I happened to see a person on TV say they had a phobia about toast sweat, you heard right, the moisture created when you put newly toasted bread on a plate.

The observation ?

I have had this on my mind ever since, not a constant worry or anything. I remembered a work colleague standing toast on edge until it cooled before buttering, leaning two slices against each other.

I do the same, because I haven't got a toast rack.

I had some cheese on toast this morning.........toast sweat underneath the second slice.....big time.

Hope I am not getting phobic about this.
spot

Post by spot »

How can anyone not use a toast rack?

Bryan Douglas Antique Sterling Silver Toast racks

Since no moisture can condense on a warmed plate, I take it you've just been serving your toasted cheese on a cold plate without taking the trouble to warm it beforehand. Thirty seconds in a shallow bowl of boiling water is all it takes. The plate will evaporate dry before it reaches the breakfast table.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1482913 wrote: How can anyone not use a toast rack?

Bryan Douglas Antique Sterling Silver Toast racks

Since no moisture can condense on a warmed plate, I take it you've just been serving your toasted cheese on a cold plate without taking the trouble to warm it beforehand. Thirty seconds in a shallow bowl of boiling water is all it takes. The plate will evaporate dry before it reaches the breakfast table.

I can buy 326 loaves with the price of that rack, but the hot plate idea is genius.

And it solves the problem of the hot dripping cheese covered slice being upended and so losing it's topping.

You are cleverer than I first thought.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I too form a tent shape with my two slices in order to avoid the "toast sweat" but occasionally, especially with thick uncut bread, I slather butter on the very hot toast and eat it immediately.

Word of the day : Slather

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You can't beat a good slather.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Never gave much thought to the "sweat" but then, I slather on the butter the moment the toaster pops, and often stack the toast on a paper towel.

I hate trying to apply butter to a cold slice of toast or bagel.

Not to mention an English Muffin. Which gets me to wondering down a similar path.

I love a good English Muffin, and like the kind that require you to split them with a fork. Lately however, all of the ones I can find in the market these days are "pre-split" usually by a slicer, rather than a fork. I hate that. It changes the texture, and makes it harder to attach jellies and Marmalade to the thing.

and a question.

What do the English call an English Muffin?
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1482931 wrote: .........

What do the English call an English Muffin?

Just a muffin as far as I know

Do you have crumpets ? Now that's a decent accompaniment to half a pound of butter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

Winston Churchill
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I call 'English' Muffins 'Muffins'

I call American Muffins 'Stale Sponge Cakes'.

Absolutely right about crumpets, though. I don't I've come across any other country have them. Not only are they good with butter, but excellent with grilled cheese melting into the holes.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Traveled to a family wedding yesterday in Wiltsire.

Google told me it should take 3 hours 10 mins with traffic, so we allowed 4 hours it took 5 and a half hours. We left early, hoping the return would be easier, it took 5 hours.

Could not believe the amount of time spent virtually stationary. At ten past midnight we sat for approximately an hour and half shuffling along at car length distances. 3 of the 4 lanes shown to be closed on the overhead signs, but traffic whizzed past on the outside lanes, until presumably they arrived at the point several miles ahead when the lanes cut down to one due to resurfacing work. Why oh why did the workers not put out cones over several miles filtering the lanes down from 4 to one to avoid the bloody bottle neck that was so obviously going to form ?
spot

Post by spot »

You would appear to have discovered the M25 by the sound of it, London's Orbital Car Park.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I had the opposite when I went to Christchurch on Marcus. Being my first long run I checked Google which said 1:45, so I allowed 2:30. It actually took me 1:25.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483698 wrote: You would appear to have discovered the M25 by the sound of it, London's Orbital Car Park.

Surprisingly much of the problem was on the M3, the local M20 was clear for the day luckily.

The flow was slow passing Stonehenge...................slow enough to take a piccy on my phone, then I realised everybody else was going slow to do the same.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1483701 wrote: I had the opposite when I went to Christchurch on Marcus. Being my first long run I checked Google which said 1:45, so I allowed 2:30. It actually took me 1:25.

Wish we had traveled on a bike, they shoot between the cars with ease.

Return to “General Chit Chat”