The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
xfrodobagginsx

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

LarsMac;1515531 wrote: My uncle drove one of those when I was a kid. I tried to talk my parents into moving to his neighborhood.

Didn't happen.

Ha, I thought you would like it.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1515530 wrote: Would you rather they are all religion nonsense, again?

Oh don't you start Lars ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ere, somebody said it was goin' to snow over us ere in UK ! Well it has already snowed in many parts of the uK, particularly north and in Scotland. It's supposed to be snowin' in the Midlands starting in the early hours of Sunday (10th Dec.) about 4 am. Perhaps, as we ain't bovvered abart thet white stuff, it should be directed to Southern California to help those poor souls put out those terrible wild fires.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We are close to beating the record for the latest arrival of measurable snow in our neighborhood.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1515630 wrote: We are close to beating the record for the latest arrival of measurable snow in our neighborhood.

I don't know whereabouts you iz in America, or iz you trundlin' around your nation in a motorhome now ?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1515632 wrote: I don't know whereabouts you iz in America, or iz you trundlin' around your nation in a motorhome now ?

We still hangin' at the ol' homestead in Colorado for the time bein'
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1515633 wrote: We still hangin' at the ol' homestead in Colorado for the time bein'

Hey I didn't think you got snow in Colorado, Lars !

I've just looked on Google Earth and I see there are a few mountain areas there, so I suppose I thought wrong ! :rolleyes: :thinking: I know ...................... there are a few places south of Canada that get the white stuff ! :yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1515634 wrote: Hey I didn't think you got snow in Colorado, Lars !

I've just looked on Google Earth and I see there are a few mountain areas there, so I suppose I thought wrong ! :rolleyes: :thinking: I know ...................... there are a few places south of Canada that get the white stuff ! :yh_rotfl

Oh yes, we get snow in Colorado

- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Snow can make the world seem so clean and bright - and very pretty !
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

G#Gill;1515653 wrote: Snow can make the world seem so clean and bright - and very pretty !

Until you have to shovel it.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1515530 wrote: Would you rather they are all religion nonsense, again?

To be honest, I've been thinking the self same thing. The Religious zealots have totally taken over FG, albeit it the same few that you can count on the fingers of one hand, with all their threads being so much the same thing that they could easily be merged into a single thread & no-one would be able to notice any difference. It really has dragged the standard of FG down.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1515705 wrote: To be honest, I've been thinking the self same thing. The Religious zealots have totally taken over FG, albeit it the same few that you can count on the fingers of one hand, with all their threads being so much the same thing that they could easily be merged into a single thread & no-one would be able to notice any difference. It really has dragged the standard of FG down.

I totally agree with you FourPart ! Although the religious 'zealots' seem to post in flurries of activity, but in doing that they fill up the 'front page' of FG which must give 'guests' the impression that FG is a religious thread ! You are quite right about all those religious threads seem to say much the same thing, so would it be possible to amalgamate them all together in one thread ? By doing this, it is doubtful that the problem of filling the front page of FG would be repeated and the threads shown would be far more mixed ! This development would surely be of benefit to FG, and increase registration of new members - a much needed input of different thread subjects. :thinking:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Funny, but I don't see a single religious thread on the FG home page at the moment.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I don't think I ever enter the site by the front door.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Nor I, and I don't believe guests do either. They happen here by chance when googling certain subjects and end up directly on a thread not the front page.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I don't come into Forum Garden through the front door either ! But I do sometimes have a look at what is on the front page. You are quite right about no religious threads there at the moment, but as I said in another post, the religious threads seem to come in flurries and can fill the front page and give the impression that FG may be a religious site !

Fortunately this doesn't happen very often, as I believe that it doesn't do FG much good and can put off potential membership. There are people who investigate different sites and quite often find themselves on a site's 'front page', and they have a look at that and make a decision from what they see and read. If the site appeals to them, they will probably register as a new member. If not they will move to another site and investigate that, and so on. I don't think the front page should have a preponderance of any one subject, whatever the subject is.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm not sure what you're classing as "The Front Door", but I just go to the "New Posts" & all I see is Religious posts, primarily by xfrodo & the usual conspiracy ones by Katsung (who I have blocked but, regrettably, it still doesn't stop his threads from appearing on the list).
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1515874 wrote: I'm not sure what you're classing as "The Front Door",
Front door would be the home page for FG.

http://www.forumgarden.com/index.php

That is the one I have bookmarked.

FourPart;1515874 wrote: ...but I just go to the "New Posts" & all I see is Religious posts, primarily by xfrodo & the usual conspiracy ones by Katsung (who I have blocked but, regrettably, it still doesn't stop his threads from appearing on the list).

Nope. Can't block threads from showing up in the "New Posts" list.

I know that I tried.

And it will show ALL the threads that had new posts in all threads since the last time you read any of them.

All you can do is pick through the threads that you want to see updates to, and when finished with that, click the "Mark all forums as read" link.

If yo skip THAT step, all the posts that you didn't read this time will be right there waiting on you next time.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1515875 wrote: Front door would be the home page for FG.

http://www.forumgarden.com/index.php

That is the one I have bookmarked.

That's what I do, then click on New Posts, only to see the new influx of Religious posts.

Nope. Can't block threads from showing up in the "New Posts" list.

I know that I tried.

Shows the need for it.

And it will show ALL the threads that had new posts in all threads since the last time you read any of them.

Making it all the more difficult to find the genuine posts.

All you can do is pick through the threads that you want to see updates to, and when finished with that, click the "Mark all forums as read" link.

If yo skip THAT step, all the posts that you didn't read this time will be right there waiting on you next time.
That's exactly what I do.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ee eck, Christmas is nearly upon us. I feel so relieved, as a pensioner, that I don't have a huge list of present recipients. Most people we know, including relatives, expect only a Christmas card at best. I do make an exception though with both my hubby's and my siblings and send them each a 'Children In Need' calendar via BBC TV Countryfile programme so that is 5 calendars (super photos ), and most of the money will go to the charity "Children In Need". ;) :guitarist :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well I've had a quiet special day and my hubby has been very kind, as he always is ! I'm going to have a lasagne for my tea, cooked by my talented hubby. So my day is going nicely thank you very much, oh and I think there is tiramisu for 'afters' ;) :guitarist
minks

Post by minks »

LOL Gill, I read "both my hubby's" and thought ... Well you go girl, 2 hubby's lol.

Ok enough silliness.

Just stepping in to wish everyone who celebrates

A VERY WARM, HAPPY, AND HEALTHY CHRISTMAS
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

LarsMac;1515630 wrote: We are close to beating the record for the latest arrival of measurable snow in our neighborhood.

Really? You must live in the south.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

xfrodobagginsx;1515996 wrote: Really? You must live in the south.

Hardly

South of Wyoming, maybe.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well, there used to be a tradition of Birthday Threads for whichever member of FG had a birthday. Members could post a birthday wish for the celebrating member. So I was rather sad that my birthday went by unnoticed on Forum Garden. Yet another FG tradition dead ! Pity. as it showed the friendly side of all the members of Forum Garden.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1516029 wrote: Well, there used to be a tradition of Birthday Threads for whichever member of FG had a birthday. Members could post a birthday wish for the celebrating member. So I was rather sad that my birthday went by unnoticed on Forum Garden. Yet another FG tradition dead ! Pity. as it showed the friendly side of all the members of Forum Garden.

Well, I reckon that explains the Special Tea and the Tiramisu.

A belated Happy Birthday to ya, Gill.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1516030 wrote: Well, I reckon that explains the Special Tea and the Tiramisu.

A belated Happy Birthday to ya, Gill.

Thank you Lars, yes I did enjoy my day and especially the Lasagne (very tasty), and I'm afraid I have a weakness for tiramisu ! A nice quiet day for me - allowed me to spend more time than usual on my laptop ! :wah: I hope you and yours are feeling good and looking forward to an enjoyable Christmas and New Year !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

minks;1515979 wrote: LOL Gill, I read "both my hubby's" and thought ... Well you go girl, 2 hubby's lol.

Ok enough silliness.

Just stepping in to wish everyone who celebrates

A VERY WARM, HAPPY, AND HEALTHY CHRISTMAS

Thank you, Minks, and I wish you the same and hope you and yours are well and getting ready for Christmas and whatever the New Year has in store for you ! ;)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1516029 wrote: Well, there used to be a tradition of Birthday Threads for whichever member of FG had a birthday. Members could post a birthday wish for the celebrating member. So I was rather sad that my birthday went by unnoticed on Forum Garden. Yet another FG tradition dead ! Pity. as it showed the friendly side of all the members of Forum Garden.

I send my belated birthday wishes to you too Gilly.

To be honest I try and play my birthdays down these days, nobody knows outside my immediate family.

My most recent birthday was a thread on here, surprise surprise with only Cilla Black missing, it might have kick started an annual family get together.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you Bruv. I suppose I really don't want to draw attention to my age, but it is quite nice to receive good wishes on a birthday from people I have made friends with over time !
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Happy Birthday Gilly! Hope your day was special......sounding by the dessert it is....I'll just pop over.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for the wishes, MF. I'm afraid I've got bad news for you.................................. we've eaten the Tiramisu, and it was delicious of course. Sorry!

Any way I hope you have an enjoyable Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

:guitarist ;) :D
minks

Post by minks »

yes and a rather belated happy birthday from me to you Gill :) Sounded lovely. Sending you some virtual cookies in celebration.... zero calories.

Side note, My momma turns 80 today. Hurrah for December birthdays.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

minks;1516101 wrote: yes and a rather belated happy birthday from me to you Gill :) Sounded lovely. Sending you some virtual cookies in celebration.... zero calories.

Side note, My momma turns 80 today. Hurrah for December birthdays.

Thank you, Minks, are you doing anything special for your mum's special day ? Wish her a happy birthday from me please. It won't be all that long before I'm an Octogenarian too ! Viva the Octos. !

:yh_bigsmi :yh_wink
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

G#Gill;1516099 wrote: Thanks for the wishes, MF. I'm afraid I've got bad news for you.................................. we've eaten the Tiramisu, and it was delicious of course. Sorry!

Any way I hope you have an enjoyable Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

:guitarist ;) :D

Bugger! I'll take a rain check then.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

MF you bugger ! You crack me up ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oops, just repeating myself ! :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

This is how people should be, and Christmas is a good time to start

Click on the link->>>>>>>>> http://worriersanonymous.org/Share/Chan ... j6RuFW6_IU

Have a very good Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year

:guitarist :yh_rotfl :guitarist :yh_rotfl :guitarist :yh_rotfl :guitarist :yh_rotfl :guitarist
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you, and the same wishes to you & all.........:yh_peace
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1516283 wrote: Thank you, and the same wishes to you & all.........:yh_peace

Did you see that very moving video, Anne ? I've made it a bit more obvious for people.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Nice one, Gilly
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1516284 wrote: Did you see that very moving video, Anne ? I've made it a bit more obvious for people.

Don't think so. Where is it located? Went back a few pages, couldn't find it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1516302 wrote: Don't think so. Where is it located? Went back a few pages, couldn't find it.

Try this for size HERE
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1516302 wrote: Don't think so. Where is it located? Went back a few pages, couldn't find it.

It's in my Christmas post on the previous page. I've tried to highlight it in red. It is what my first sentence was about.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1516308 wrote: Try this for size HERE

Thank you Bruv, you clever fella ! :) I don't know how you can do that - highlight a link with a HERE ! :wah:
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Just watched this. Thanks.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I do hope everybody had a good New Year celebration, even if it was a quiet one like I had at home with my OH and dog ! :wah:

My son is working away but managed to phone good wishes on New Year's Eve, and that was lovely. :-4

I have not made any new year resolutions, mainly because I find it a bit daft, but also because I can never keep to them. :rolleyes:

I just take myself to one side and give myself a good talking to - sort of 'pull your socks up woman' type of conversation. Joking apart though, I have made an earth shattering decision to sort through all my stuff and oust items that I have not used for over a year. Thinking about that, I suppose that is a sort of new year resolution innit?

It will either go to a charity shop or the tip. I do feel bad about even thinking of taking good stuff to the tip, but as my hubby refuses to allow me to attend a carboot sale to sell off our unwanted items, I feel it is such a waste. As most of our local carboot sales are held outside, it is not a good idea for somebody in the Autumn of their years to be standing (or sitting) out in the open at a cold time of the year. I can see the sense of that, so I suppose unless I can find an indoor carboot somewhere, to the tip stuff will go !

I'm the sort of person who hangs on to stuff 'just in case we need it some time' and so various items get stowed away, usually in plastic boxes so they can be stacked. We do not possess an attic or a basement, so stuff has to be stowed wherever we can find room.

With both sides parents having long since passed on, we have collected several items from those other households. Really, when I think about it, it is sort of insanity isn't it? We have not got the sort of house that can store all and sundry items 'rescued' from parents' houses. I think ruthless is the word I'm searching for, a must for the coming year. :thinking:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We spend our new year eve watching some rather bizarre flick the Wife found on one of the movie channels. -The Adventures if Priscilla, the Desert Queen. ( hilarious and heartwarming, completely bonkers production out of Australia with Terrence Stamp, Guy Pearce, and Hugo Weaving )

Then, we indulged in Shrimp and crackers and wine, while watching the Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Concert.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I spent new year's eve around a campfire with friends at a state park in Napa valley. They had been wine tasting for a couple of days before I got there and had made some excellent selections. I brought some shrimp and they provided the bratwurst (and everything else). As it got closer to midnight, someone suggested that we celebrate California's 420 legalization, which went into effect at midnight. It was a fun evening and I'm glad my vehicle has a bed.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wandrin;1516778 wrote: As it got closer to midnight, someone suggested that we celebrate California's 420 legalization, which went into effect at midnight.

I am so envious. Damn NYState! :-5

Return to “General Chit Chat”