Your Funeral

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Your Funeral

Post by Lon »

Realizing that I am closer to assuming room temperature than most, I thought it prudent to make arrangements today for my eventual demise and disposition. I don't anticipate this event happening for some time yet but you never know. Right?

My arrangements involve being picked up where ever I die in the world (I travel a lot) and then taken to the nearest Crematory for immediate cremation with the ashes sent back to California for scattering in the San Francisco Bay. Any services that my next of kin wishes to have is entirely up to them as I am a Secular Humanist and am not desirous of a typical religious ceremony. The cost for this Prepaid Funeral Arrangement is $1,750. USD

QUESTION-------Have you made any plans for your self? What kind of arrangements would you like to have for this eventuality?
AnneBoleyn

Your Funeral

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I've asked to be cremated & my ashes mixed with my late husband's & my son could scatter them or keep them as he sees fit. That's about it, although if I wanted music I guess I'd ask for the Beatles at any service, if my son wanted one that is.

If for some awful reason my son predeceased me & he wasn't married or had kids yet, I'd make sure my will would state that my sister & her family would get absolutely nothing & then I'd shoot myself, in the head I suppose, & I wouldn't care what was done with me.

Yes, I can be quite morose.
Wandrin

Your Funeral

Post by Wandrin »

I have stated that I'd like my ashes to be added to one of these: This Awesome Urn Will Turn You into a Tree After You Die | Design for Good | Big Think
LarsMac

Your Funeral

Post by LarsMac »

I don't much care what happens to what I leave behind.

I have suggested that I be cremated and tossed into the back of my grandson's pick-up so I can be scattered with the wind as he travels about on the Rodeo circuit.

I paid $300 to the Cremation Society of Colorado some twenty years back. If I am not in Colorado when the time comes, then somebody may have to pony up transportation costs.

My daughter says that if I kick while in her neighborhood, I can go into her rose beds.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Accountable

Your Funeral

Post by Accountable »

My beloved and I plan to die at the same time, so that neither of us have to go through the hassle of making funeral arrangements. I admit the plan isn't airtight.
YZGI

Your Funeral

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1428873 wrote: My beloved and I plan to die at the same time, so that neither of us have to go through the hassle of making funeral arrangements. I admit the plan isn't airtight.

Best plan so far. I'll have top see if the wife is up too it.
Imladris

Your Funeral

Post by Imladris »

having spent 20 years married to a funeral director (now retired!) i rather like talking 'shop'!

ours are planned and instructions left. we want to be buried in local cemetery we want different music though so we better not go together ...
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Saint_

Your Funeral

Post by Saint_ »

Well....hmmm..... I have lots of things I think would be cool.

1. Music that MUST be played - "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes would be nice, but these are critical...

Flowers: Chrysanthemums - rainbow colors.

Movie: The Life and Times of Mr. Ives (I've been adding footage of myself over the decades to a running imovie file and editing it for the good and fun parts. Vain, you bet! Fun? Yes!)

Wake: My friends+ pony keg+ campfire in sliprock ruins/cave +stupid stories of me from the 70s = fun.

I also thought about inviting by newspaper ad any of my ex-students that wanted to attend...all 7,000 of them, but that might be a bad idea.

Burial: I seriously wanted to do this: https://www.irrproducts.com/c-7-yellow.aspx

I thought it would be fun to be a diamond and be handed down through the generations. Also, I thought it might help my wife deal a bit better. But she is adamant that she wants to "be buried side by side with me for all eternity."

So it really boils down to who goes first now. Her first: twin graves. Me first: matching jewelry.
Peg

Your Funeral

Post by Peg »

I definitely don't want a viewing. I do not want people looking at me saying, "She looks so good". I'm dead, how good can I look. I want immediate cremation. If the family wants, they can have a memorial service, if not, I'm fine with that too.
Snowfire

Your Funeral

Post by Snowfire »

I want no hardwood coffin with brass handles.

A cardboard box, maybe one they transport fridge/freezers in and a box of matches.

I'm a big lad. I might burn for a few days

But I'll burn brightly
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lon

Your Funeral

Post by Lon »

Snowfire;1429497 wrote: I want no hardwood coffin with brass handles.

A cardboard box, maybe one they transport fridge/freezers in and a box of matches.

I'm a big lad. I might burn for a few days

But I'll burn brightly

They make some nice caskets in Fiberglass. can't burn em though, sticks to the retort.
spot

Your Funeral

Post by spot »

Given our combined age and the state of the world this year, the thread ought to come out of retirement.

I'm off to my second funeral of the year next week and I don't expect it'll be the last.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

Your Funeral

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1531313 wrote: Given our combined age and the state of the world this year, the thread ought to come out of retirement.

I'm off to my second funeral of the year next week and I don't expect it'll be the last.

I'm very sorry to hear that, spot. My deepest condolences on your loss.

On a brighter note: I'll you'll come to my funeral, I'll come to yours.
LarsMac

Your Funeral

Post by LarsMac »

A trend around here has been to have "Celebration of the Life of ..." Where the person's "remains" have been properly disposed of in whatever fashion their family determined, and everyone gathers in a park or other such place to talk about the deceased, drink beer, eat barbeque, or something.

I plan to donate my body to science when I go.

They can dispose of it however they see fit, once they have had their way with it. I might finally prove to be of some use.

I would like for my friends and family to get together somewhere for a Lobster Bake, and spend the day making fun of me.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Your Funeral

Post by magentaflame »

I like that idea Lars. I don't want a plot. I have plans for my ashes that only my loved ones will have access to . But I also wouldn't mind a living wake. I hope I have a heads up as to when I'm dying so I can do all the living will stuff and be at my own wake. I will have no grave as such so it would be nice.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Saint_

Your Funeral

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1428867 wrote:

I have suggested that I be cremated and tossed into the back of my grandson's pick-up so I can be scattered with the wind as he travels about on the Rodeo circuit.

Let's hope you don't end up in a car wash drain!

My daughter says that if I kick while in her neighborhood, I can go into her rose beds.

That's what I'd like. We have a few 30 foot long mum beds and rose beds. I'd like my atoms and minerals to end up as flowers in the sunshine. Kind of a permanent retirement...

Return to “General Chit Chat”