Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501925 wrote: I merely quote in an appalled manner from the Guardian story headline...

BBC sorry for showing footage of gorilla instead of Nicola Sturgeon.

How low will this national broadcaster sink?

I am sure you will keep us informed though.

(It's keeping you entertained anyway)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Had you ever wondered whether the showing of the gorilla instead of footage of Nicola Sturgeon was intended after all ? It's all rather fishy in any case ! :lips:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

If I might be allowed the use of this thread, I would like to mention a Guardian linkRussian aircraft carrier is more a show of force than ‘start of world war’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... tsov-syria

I suggest this is not the case, and that the start of a world war would in fact be more a show of force than merely sailing a carrier fleet past Dover Castle.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I suspect you know what you meant to say.
spot

Post by spot »

More from the Guardian.A 34-year-old woman has been charged with the 2004 murder of Brisbane brother and sister April and Ian Bailey.

The woman, who was taken into custody on Saturday, has also been charged with arson and remanded in custody to appear in Redcliffe magistrates court on Monday.

The siblings are believed to have been killed before their Deception Bay home was set on fire on 28 May 2004.

Ian, 29, had been caring for his 31-year-old sister, who was recovering from schizophrenia and working as a beautician.

Bailey’s daughter Violet was just four when she witnessed the deaths and was discovered uninjured at the scene by police.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -from-2004

It's the "Bailey’s daughter Violet" I take exception to. Only defendants are referred to by their surname only. Both the victims are named Bailey. Is the article suggesting the defendant is also named Bailey? Surely both victims aren't the parents, but the use of the surname can't distinguish them.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm entirely puzzled by this:Mercedes are considering disciplinary action – which could mean a fine or even suspension – against Lewis Hamilton after the three‑times world champion twice flouted instructions as his team-mate, Nico Rosberg, won his maiden Formula One world championship on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... grand-prix

What meaning does "maiden" have in this context?

They're presumably trying to convey the fact that this is the first time he's won it, but I've never seen "maiden" used that way before. I don't see how it can legitimately be done. Is this yet another redefinition of English vocabulary and if so, why? Who can it benefit?

Has "maiden" ever meant "first" before?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1503092 wrote: Has "maiden" ever meant "first" before?

You must live a very sheltered life

Maiden over ?

Maiden voyage ?

Google
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1503093 wrote: You must live a very sheltered life

Maiden over ?

Maiden voyage ?

Google

A maiden over isn't the first anything, it's an over with no runs scored.

I grudgingly concede the voyage though. Probably. I'll think about it anyway.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1503094 wrote: A maiden over isn't the first anything, it's an over with no runs scored.

I grudgingly concede the voyage though. Probably. I'll think about it anyway.

Having thought. I don't in fact think this instance, or others like it, qualify. The genuine accepted usage is always of maiden events - maiden voyages, maiden speeches, maiden flights and such. This formula 1 win isn't a maiden event at all, the chap's been trying for ten years. This is his first championship win. It's not a maiden championship win at all. that would be an abuse of the word.

Meanwhile - this is pure clickbait link text: Nativity play charges leads to 'verbal abuse' from parents in Worcester - BBC News

They are not the charges the sensationalist headline implies.
spot

Post by spot »

I doubt I've seen the Mirror website before. They have strange ideas of how to construct links to stories.

Double lung transplant survivor [name] dies aged 27 days after making Christmas bucket list

I doubt anyone has written anything aged 27 days. The Mirror editor should take a remedial course on punctuation, after first looking up "survivor" in the dictionary.

Mexico archaeologists find temple to wind god beneath supermarket - under the baked bean shelf, presumably.
spot

Post by spot »

"Archaeologists digging in Priory Park in Chichester, West Sussex, where the remains of three near-complete Roman buildings were discovered".

No, Guardian. Bad photo caption.

These may have been the near-complete remains of three Roman buildings, though I very much doubt even that is true. I suspect they're the near-complete foundation and ground-plan of three Roman buildings. The buildings were undoubtedly complete while they were occupied. If anyone discovers near-complete Roman buildings in England I'll be extremely surprised and wonder where they'd been hiding all this while.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ester-park
spot

Post by spot »

I just saw the term "non-invasive blood test" in the New Scientist. I don't understand it.

What's a non-invasive blood test?

Most cells in the body secrete small globules called extracellular vesicles, which enter the blood supply and communicate with other cells. When cells in the pancreas turn cancerous, they produce different types of extracellular vesicles.

Hu and his colleagues developed gold nanoparticles that selectively bind to these cancer vesicles in blood samples. Upon binding, the nanoparticles change their light-emitting properties, signalling the presence of pancreatic cancer.

The cheap, quick test can be done on as little as one-thousandth of a millilitre of blood plasma.

“There’s no doubt that early screening tests, particularly a non-invasive blood test like this one, would be very valuable,” says Anthony Gill at the University of Sydney. But the test still needs to be validated through wider testing, he says. “It’s early days yet.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... -too-late/
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1506557 wrote: I just saw the term "non-invasive blood test" in the New Scientist. I don't understand it.

What's a non-invasive blood test?

Most cells in the body secrete small globules called extracellular vesicles, which enter the blood supply and communicate with other cells. When cells in the pancreas turn cancerous, they produce different types of extracellular vesicles.

Hu and his colleagues developed gold nanoparticles that selectively bind to these cancer vesicles in blood samples. Upon binding, the nanoparticles change their light-emitting properties, signalling the presence of pancreatic cancer.

The cheap, quick test can be done on as little as one-thousandth of a millilitre of blood plasma.

“There’s no doubt that early screening tests, particularly a non-invasive blood test like this one, would be very valuable,” says Anthony Gill at the University of Sydney. But the test still needs to be validated through wider testing, he says. “It’s early days yet.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... -too-late/

From the report, it seems that the test can be accomplished using the blood collected by a finger-prick method, similar to the way diabetics test their blood glucose levels. That is considered non-invasive, compared to the venous blood draws required to collect blood for testing Cholesterol, or thyroid levels, and such.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

From the Guardian.

Michael Heseltine says Brexit is 'man-size' task for Theresa May

Given that it's International Women's Day, I think that's a bit deliberate on Hezza's part.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1507270 wrote: From the Guardian.

Given that it's International Women's Day, I think that's a bit deliberate on Hezza's part.

He is suffering from a bloodied nose....................remember.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1507270 wrote: From the Guardian.

Response was quick in coming :-

Brexit rebel Lord Heseltine sacked from government role - BBC News
spot

Post by spot »

Someone got out of bed on the wrong side that morning.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh dear. There are times when the Oxford Comma really is relevant.On Brexit, he said his "biggest worry" was "obsessed" politicians ignoring the trade deficit and NHS funding.

Lord King: Scotland 'could be independent' - BBC News

There has to be a better way of structuring that sentence, it's irrevocably ambiguous.
spot

Post by spot »

He addressed the nation for the first time as someone who had been bloodied in the heavy burden of ordering military action as commander-in-chief of the world’s leading superpower.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ruck-syria

Bloodied?

BLOODED, you fatuous twerp!

Good lord where does the Guardian find these people. OED: Blood (verb): To smear the face of (a novice at hunting) with the blood of a first kill; to initiate (a person) in the art of hunting, or into a particular hunt.

The entire sentence is insanely wrong from start to finish. The "heavy burden of ordering military action as commander-in-chief of the world’s leading superpower"? Seriously? There's a reporter capable of writing that sort of cobblers and an editor prepared to allow it into print?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I expect they are all ex BBC journalists.
spot

Post by spot »

Victorian-era ivory sex toy generates excitement at Irish auction is not a news link I want to see, thank you.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1508562 wrote: Victorian-era ivory sex toy generates excitement at Irish auction is not a news link I want to see, thank you.

And you thought to share ?

Thanks.
spot

Post by spot »

Ewww!

No article about dog breeding should ever ever include the word "crossed" if it doesn't refer to a breeding instance...

"Archaeological evidence points to the so-called 'New World dog', which apparently crossed with human settlers over a land bridge from Asia."

It sends all the wrong messages, even if the syntax can eventually be disentangled.

Family tree of dogs reveals secret history of canines - BBC News

As for Strengthen my hand, PM urges voters, I refer Ms May to Mark 9:43 - "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It's better to enter eternal life with only one hand than to go into the unquenchable fires of hell with two."
spot

Post by spot »

Paul Pogba is already believed to have performed the Hajj

Paul Pogba, world's most expensive footballer, visits Mecca - BBC News

Is anyone at the BBC news website capable of understanding that "Paul Pogba is already believed to have performed the Hajj " does not equate with "Paul Pogba is believed to have already performed the Hajj "?
spot

Post by spot »

This isn't illiteracy but it ought to count as a crime.

Why on earth is the BBC publishing an 1800 word advertisement for a meaningless band just issuing its second CD?

Royal Blood on broken ribs, roller coasters and their 'delicate sound' - BBC News

Every word of that is beyond mere trivia, it's is mind-numbingly unimportant boring tosh.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I didn't read it.....................you didn't have to either.
spot

Post by spot »

No, Guardian! You cannot say "Carrefour drops dog meat from two supermarkets in China". The word has to be "removes" or the after-image is dreadful.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh, bogus words, BBC! My goodness you have no idea how to express yourselves clearly or accurately. What on earth do you think this means?High-rise buildings in France, the UAE and Australia that had similar cladding have all been hit by fires that spread.

London fire: Grenfell Tower cladding 'linked to other fires' - BBC News

All?

Really?

What donkey's droppings. You cannot possibly claim "all". What you mean is that SOME high-rise buildings in France, the UAE and Australia that had similar cladding have been hit by fires that spread.

Sack people until the message takes root. That "all" cannot possibly refer to the list of countries - the "and" in the list of countries does that job. "All" the qualifying buildings have clearly not burned in the way you describe.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh, bogus words, Guardian! My goodness you have no idea how to express yourselves clearly or accurately. What on earth do you think this means?

Jupiter’s vast, swirling tempest – the great red spot – has been revealed in all of its stunning detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ages-storm

All?

Really?

What donkey's droppings. You cannot possibly claim "all".
spot

Post by spot »

he owns a handwritten note from General Charles Gordon, who ordered the siege of Khartoum

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-backlash

I'm almost in two minds whether to congratulate the Guardian for a spectacularly precise application of the word "ordered" but I can't bring myself to believe it.
spot

Post by spot »

Ah.The train, two lines of cylindrical carriages, resembling beer barrels, will allow passengers to remain upright at all times, even as they ascend – or descend – the 1,720-metre track, climbing or descending 743 metres a second along gradients as steep as 110% (47.7º).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... witzerland

A journey time of just over two seconds?

I can envisage me going there just to find out. With a launch speed of 743 metres a second at 47.7º the carriages would reach a height of 15km before falling to earth 56km away after 112 seconds free flight.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

bruv;1510102 wrote: i didn't read it.....................you didn't have to either.

:o .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1515793 wrote: Ah.The train, two lines of cylindrical carriages, resembling beer barrels, will allow passengers to remain upright at all times, even as they ascend – or descend – the 1,720-metre track, climbing or descending 743 metres a second along gradients as steep as 110% (47.7º).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... witzerland

A journey time of just over two seconds?

I can envisage me going there just to find out. With a launch speed of 743 metres a second at 47.7º the carriages would reach a height of 15km before falling to earth 56km away after 112 seconds free flight.

They must have corrected the article, it now says :-

Guardian wrote:

A level-adjusting function will allow the space-age-looking carriages, accessible to all users, to remain horizontal while speeding up the mountain at up to 10 metres a second.

as they ascend – or descend – the 1,720-metre track, climbing or descending 743 metres along gradients as steep as 110% (47.7º).

spot

Post by spot »

They do that. I'm pleased to catch it mid-error now and then, especially that one.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I can't help a twinge of disappointment. I had this wonderful Monty Python cartoon of spot in a beer barrel (ok, poetic licence) flying through the air with the greatest of ease for 112 secs before embedding himself triumphantly in an Alpine snowdrift...plooomph.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

Good lord... Return of Italian king's body reopens old wounds.

Perhaps they need a better class of pallbearer.

It's not suitable, BBC, you should dismiss the jokers.

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

"Airport reopens after plane leaves runway"?

Well yes, BBC, that's how airports invariably re-open.

Attached files
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1516253 wrote: "Airport reopens after plane leaves runway"?

Well yes, BBC, that's how airports invariably re-open.

I never knew that they closed for that kind of thing.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1516345 wrote: I never knew that they closed for that kind of thing.

They do if the plane leaves the runway sideways :-)
spot

Post by spot »

I'm bemused.The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, in Richmond, south-west London, has the largest collection of living and preserved botanical specimens in the world.

It also has its own constabulary, set up in 1845 to give work to returning veterans of the Crimean War.

England's curiosities: Your questions answered - BBC News

1845? Crimean War? Fact checked?

Seriously?

Florence Nightingale would have been 25 when the Crimean war ended if that was right. Leo Tolstoy would have been 17, somewhat precocious for the author of "Sebastopol Sketches". Edwin Bezar, who became the oldest British enlisted survivor of the Crimean war, would have been 8.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517225 wrote: I'm bemused.The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, in Richmond, south-west London, has the largest collection of living and preserved botanical specimens in the world.

It also has its own constabulary, set up in 1845 to give work to returning veterans of the Crimean War.

England's curiosities: Your questions answered - BBC News

1845? Crimean War? Fact checked?

Seriously?

Florence Nightingale would have been 25 when the Crimean war ended if that was right. Leo Tolstoy would have been 17, somewhat precocious for the author of "Sebastopol Sketches". Edwin Bezar, who became the oldest British enlisted survivor of the Crimean war, would have been 8.

Nothing like planning ahead.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

The rate of teenage pregnancy is at the lowest level since records began in the 1960s.

A total of 5,483 of the 632,048 deliveries in England in 2015-16 were to teenage mothers.

'Being a teenage mother is so lonely' - BBC News

I'm reaching a point where I automatically disbelieve statements like this on the BBC News website, and that is very sad indeed.

"The number of deliveries for mothers aged under 20 has almost halved over the last ten years, from 43,572 deliveries in 2005-06 to 22,032 in 2015-16. [Geographical coverage: England] " - Hospital Maternity Activity, 2015-16 - NHS Digital

Perhaps the unqualified school-leaver on the BBC staff who wrote the article doesn't know what the word "teenage" means, but the site's editors ought to. Are these articles published without any form of vetting?

If the BBC News website would kindly publish articles written by AI engines instead of incompetents we might get more credible reports.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I don't really see the problem.

I doubt that there are even countable numbers of pregnancies among the under 13 crowd. A VERY significant majority of the under 20 mothers are, in fact, teens.

Though there is, of course, that fact that "teen pregnancy" might still cover a majority of those who delivered when they were 20.

I reckon THAT might give his/her numbers a tweak.

teen·ag·er

ˈtēnˌājər/Submit

noun

a person aged from 13 to 19 years.

synonyms: adolescent, youth, young person, minor, juvenile; informalteen, teenybopper

"he's been counseling teenagers for twenty years"

A teenager, or teen, is a young person whose age falls within the range from 13 -19. They are called teenagers because their age number ends with "teen".

- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

The problem is that if the BBC article is correct and the NHS figure - which I take as definitive - is correct, then three out of four deliveries to girls under 20 are to girls aged 12 and under, which is manifest nonsense. The solution is that the BBC figure is bogus and probably refers to deliveries to girls under 16, the approximate term for which in England is "underage".

The numbers in both the BBC article and the NHS report refer to deliveries, not pregnancies.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517270 wrote: The problem is that if the BBC article is correct and the NHS figure - which I take as definitive - is correct, then three out of four deliveries to girls under 20 are to girls aged 12 and under, which is manifest nonsense. The solution is that the BBC figure is bogus and probably refers to deliveries to girls under 16, the approximate term for which in England is "underage".

The numbers in both the BBC article and the NHS report refer to deliveries, not pregnancies.

I suspect the BBC article is incorrect. I now see the source of your complaint.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

This isn't a BBC headline, it's a headline linked from the BBC. Staring at it has made no difference, I simply can't see any possible use of English which would allow it to make any sense at all.

The shocking downfall of A14 roadworks on this Cambridge man's restaurant

Someone got paid for writing that headline. I can't imagine why. "Consequence" might work, "downfall" is just random.
spot

Post by spot »

The pranksters at the BBC news website are at it again.

Confidential information including names, addresses, HIV status and other medical information is reportedly included in the latest breach.

Officials say the details of 5,400 Singaporeans and 8,800 foreigners dating up to January 2013 have been compromised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47027867

No BBC, you can't use "dating" that close to "HIV status". Really you can't. The Singaporeans and the foreigners were not dating.
spot

Post by spot »

The Cumbrian public have been allowed to name their grit lorries. We now have one out on the fells called "Spready Mercury". I don't know where best to hang my head in vicarious shame.
spot

Post by spot »

"Weighing only 1.26kg (2.6lb), the Kalamsat-V2 was made by students belonging to a space education firm"?

"Belonging to"?

Slavery is alive and well, companies can now own people?

Return to “General Chit Chat”