significance of Beards in Islam

Discuss the Muslim Faith.
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

I was just wondering why some moslems like their faces unshaved. This has begin to make some poeple to associate an unshaved face with Islamic fundamentalism. What is the significance of a moslem not shaving his face? Is it a religious obligation? Please tell me if you know.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
MicahLorain

Post by MicahLorain »

It is to renounce vanity and express subjugation. Jewish orthodoxers do the same. It's now associated with extremist Muslims.
MicahLorain

Post by MicahLorain »

And Marx and Santa Claus! And Mr. French!
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

MicahLorain wrote: It is to renounce vanity and express subjugation. Jewish orthodoxers do the same. It's now associated with extremist Muslims.

Thanks MicahLorain for the information. It is however unfortunate that the significance of beard is a noble one but the fundamentalists have made people to see it the other way round. I mean no offence but can't help being uneasy when in the company of people with beards. I have beards but shave constantly as it is itchy and makes me uncomfortable as a person.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Jives

Post by Jives »

I guess that's also why they don't wash their hair, brush their teeth, press their clothes, and are usually greasy and unkempt. Well.....they certainly won't have to worry about being vain.:-2
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

Jives wrote: I guess that's also why they don't wash their hair, brush their teeth, press their clothes, and are usually greasy and unkempt. Well.....they certainly won't have to worry about being vain.:-2
Then that's a deviation from the saying: "cleanliness is next to godliness".
Jives

Post by Jives »

So they're operating on the

"Greasiness is next to Godliness" principle?

or is it the

"laziness is next to Lordliness"

or even

"Dirty is next to Deity"

or how about

"Slovenliness is next to Supreme Beingness":D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

That explains Z.Z. Top.
Look what the cat dragged in.